Underground (108)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vfxsoup
    I work in television... what is this "soul" thing you mention?
    Darn it! And last week someone asked me to explain curling! What do I look like, answer woman? Seriously, I'm not usually one to be big on effects, but I'm generally really enjoying the work being done with Atlantis. And enjoying your comments on the episodes as they come out...

Comment

Originally posted by vfxsoup
      Ummm... just being able to click the render button... if only it was that easy... To give you an idea, each frame of the city consists of about 8.2 million pixels, broken down into about 15 layers, z depths, mattes, rgbs etc... which means that for each city establishing shot you get, someone somewhere has baby-sat 124,416,000 pixels, which also means the average city shot can take about 4 solid days of artist-watched render time, 24/7... the "render button" is unfortunately a mythic beauty I am personally seeking! Enjoy those images... our blood is dried into them!

Mark Breakspear
      Visual Effects Supervisor
      Atlantis
      The only problem with the special effects is that I can't fully appreciate them on my 20 inch TV. Yes, I know I'm living in the dark ages, but what can I say? If my television screen was any larger, I would really have no life, not that I have much of one now.

What hit me were the waterfalls in the center of the screen. Everything else in the cavern was rather dark and it went by so fast, it was all I could do to say "wow, that's a waterfall! what else.. oh, damn!" I kinda felt like McKay, with his mouth agape. BTW, that scene looking over their shoulders at the cavern would make a great photo.

I sure the folks with larger screens really appreciate your work. Especially those with full wall screens (green with envy).

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
        The only problem with the special effects is that I can't fully appreciate them on my 20 inch TV. Yes, I know I'm living in the dark ages, but what can I say? If my television screen was any larger, I would really have no life, not that I have much of one now.

What hit me were the waterfalls in the center of the screen. Everything else in the cavern was rather dark and it went by so fast, it was all I could do to say "wow, that's a waterfall! what else.. oh, damn!" I kinda felt like McKay, with his mouth agape. BTW, that scene looking over their shoulders at the cavern would make a great photo.

I sure the folks with larger screens really appreciate your work. Especially those with full wall screens (green with envy).
        I downloaded the ep from the net, so in my case I could barely make out what the cavern looked like.

So if there's anyone with a clear picture of it, could you send it to me?
        sigpic
        In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Best episode since the pilot imo. Has Chief O'Brien had any roles as a good guy other than Star Trek TNG/DS9?

One thing I don't like, and it seems like it's in every episode there is this debate between Weir and Sheppard.

Sheppard: We need to do this
          Weir: No

Sheppard: Awe, c'mon, pretty please?
          Weir: NO!

Sheppard: With Milk and Sugar on it?
          Weir: Ohhhh, OK.

Kinda reminds me of a kid and his mother at the store with the kid begging for a treat of some kind. Small complaint in an otherwise very good episode.
          Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
          O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
          O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Taonas
            I downloaded the ep from the net, so in my case I could barely make out what the cavern looked like.

So if there's anyone with a clear picture of it, could you send it to me?
            Email me on: [email protected]. I tryed uploading the image here but the file is 81k but the upload limit is 39k.
            Wier: Nice work Rodney!
            McKay: Did you ever doubt me?
            Wier: Yes, several times....
            [Stargate: ATLANTIS: Episode- 'The Eye' (1x11)]

Comment

[QUOTE=prion]
              Originally posted by Grumpyguy
              4. Each Wraith ship holds over 90,000 hibernating, hungry, mean life-suckers. There are over 150 Wraith ships.

{/QUOTE]

Where did you get those numbers from? In "Underground," They said 60 ships, and that's a guess.
              I didn't get them from anywhere . Just conjecture/advise to the producers on how to make the Wraith a little more fearsome. Right now it seems like the Little Sisters of the Poor, armed with M-16s, could hold their own against the Wraith.

Comment

[QUOTE=derrickh]Is it just me or did the team's morals flip 180 degrees from last week? How is what the Genii planned of doing any different from what was going to happen in 'Poisoning the Well'? The SGA went all nutzo and cut off all relations with one group who planned on killing the Wraith, but along comes another group who want to kill the Wraith and all of a sudden they're all gung-ho. "Hey, lets help these guys build a nuke but we'll turn our backs on the guys with the anti-wraith injection." How does that make sense?

It is different because you're talking about the relative scales of destruction involved in the combat maneouvres. Extrapolate the level of destruction capable in one kg of nuclear ordnance (and the corresponding number of warheads you're able to construct from it) versus one kg of biological agent. That one kg of innoculated toxin, could easily decimate an entire population of Wraith specimens (for lack of a better term). And having said that, when one's in the frame of reference to engineer a weapon for OFFENSIVE capabilities, you would look at modifying the toxin into a bioweapon capable of efficient delivery and uptake by the enemy...maximum exposure and possibly infectious, ie, clone the necessary agent's DNA into a modified highly infectious airborne virus that is specific for Wraith cells. Once you infect one hive colony, you literally wipe that colony out in a matter of hours/days. And one could reverse engineer this agent to be slow acting in spread, meaning, you could highly increase the possibility of transmitting the agent to other colony ships. Think opening a vial of virulent smallpox in a centre with massive international (interplanetary in this case) traffic. Get the picture?

And before you say something about the high mortality rate, well, that was from the first batch. Who knows, they might be able to fix it in the next couple of weeks, but the SGA will never know cuz they're off helping the shady, lying, sneaky planet build a few nuclear bombs. Which of course could never have any civilian causualties...

Even with the most sophisticated massive supercomputing mainframes a lot of advanced biopharmaceuticals have to this day, the process of engineering a drug or protein or biologically viable agent to improve its characteristics and then testing it out on a population (or suitable animal model) takes many years of rigorous molecular design/testing as well as a lot of experimental application and study. There are also quite a number of host factors to study as well as taking into context the genetic heterogeneity of a population to which it is applied.

And it's not entirely true that a nuclear explosion would not have any civilian casualties. Ignoring the subsequent devestation of radiation fallout, what happens should the hive ship be located at a distance fairly near the stargate. We wouldn't know how the explosion of the Hive Ships would end up. What if it caused a catatrosphic overload and amplified the nuclear blast x number of times over. Talk about having that translated through an active wormhole back to the point of origin? Potential casualties i can definitely foresee.

And if Teyla is gonna tag along, then maybe she should learn when not to go telling everyone exactly who woke up the bad guys. You could almost see that Shepard wanted to put her on the first puddle jumper back the farmville. And what is with her trying to save the feeder mouse in the Wraith ship? She couldn't figure out that dragging that guy back would slow them down and alert all the bad guys? And guess what Teyla, you signed on to a plan that would NUKE all of these ships. And unless you planned on hoping the Wraith would let you pack all of these people into busses I doubt they would survive the blast. Plus...PLUS she was all for dragging back the feeder mouse but when her partner got stunned, she bolted. She didn't call for help and try to hold off the single Wraith. She didn't go get help and say, 'Hey, we got a man who needs help. Remember when I saved Shepard after he got shot? We should do the same for this new ally'. Nope. She waited until she got back to the ship and said 'oh by the way, your son in law got shot and I left him. Time to go.' Teyla just peeves me because it seems she abandoned her people. Teal'c did basically the same thing but some how when he did it, it was kinda honorable. Teyla just seems like she wanted to move out of the trailer park and into the comfy suburbs of Atlantis... and that aint cool.

Lots of inconsistencies in the train of thought here. If we're to believe the original premise of Teyla's character, then we have to focus on the bigger picture that she is the leader and representative of at least one major factor of the Athosians. As such, she has to think, respond and act in accordance with that role as well as being part of the Atlantis Team.

Remember that she has to upkeep the diplomatic ties the Athosians have with these trading partners. To not mention that she had a hand in the reawakening of the Wraith and that they had indeed been reawakened is plain irresponsible. And the Athosians being the more honourable race (as compared to the Genii), such honesty and transparency is paramount in maintaining these trade relations (regardless of the presence of the Earth Atlantis team).

Having suffered at the hands of the Wraith, wouldn't you feel compelled to try and save an awake sentient prisoner especially if you knew, at THAT point, you had the tactical advantage of anonymity. If you like the premise of SG-1, then it's just a variation on the WE-DON'T-LEAVE-OUR-PEOPLE-BEHIND bit. And about the variation in modus operandi and not leaving Sheppard behind, remember that they had several Atlantis team members to help drag his ass back after being stunned. She probably couldn't do rescue the stunned Genii Daddy-O on her own because look at the physical disparity between the two. He is so much heavier awkward than Ford was (remember Suspicion and there she already had trouble trying to get his unconscious ass back to Atlantis).

In fact, it is a testament to her character that she tries to help where possible instead of hiding behind the more tactical reason of, it would jepoardize the bigger mission. You can't really compare it with Teal'C because of the fact that Teal'C in a similar situation would be more physically able to effect a rescue operation. That doesn't mean that she should be shot down for trying.

As for Teyla only wanting creature comforts, I think it's laughable. In a situation like this where you're plagued by the constant possibility of death at a Wraith's feeding mitt, wouldn't the more attractive comfort be in the company of your own kinsmen, people who understood you, loved and cherished you and no matter the outcome, would stand by you, even if they were to fall? Instead she faces a higher risk of deadly outcomes by going through the wormhole in uncharted territory with the stargate teams, and not even with her own kinspeople. That speaks a lot for the character.

I think a deeper look at this is warranted before mouthing off on unfounded criticisms. No? Shadowmaat, piggy, your observations?
                McKAY: Well, you wouldn’t know that from this, would you? This might as well say, “Bing tiddle tiddle bong.” It’s complete gibberish!

Comment

Enjoyed the humor in this episode, liked the whole thing overall.

One nitpick...

If you descended into a dark scary hole and found out your radio didn't work from the bottom, wouldn't you just climb back up the 10 feet to the top to shoot off a message? Or perhaps radio before descending into the dark scary hole? =)
                  Fitness Buddies

Comment

Originally posted by kryon22
                    Instead she faces a higher risk of deadly outcomes by going through the wormhole in uncharted territory with the stargate teams, and not even with her own kinspeople. That speaks a lot for the character.
                    Not only does she face a higher risk of death by simply going through the gate with stargate teams, but the Atlantis teams have a demonstrated lack of understanding of for lack of a better term 'street wise' in the Pegesus Galaxy. They are probably just as likely to get her killed by saying the wrong thing at the wrong time to someone, oh, like the Genii.

Comment

To Kryon 22 (sorry still learning to use the board tools):

[Quote]>>>>>As for Teyla only wanting creature comforts, I think it's laughable. In a situation like this where you're plagued by the constant possibility of death at a Wraith's feeding mitt, wouldn't the more attractive comfort be in the company of your own kinsmen, people who understood you, loved and cherished you and no matter the outcome, would stand by you, even if they were to fall? Instead she faces a higher risk of deadly outcomes by going through the wormhole in uncharted territory with the stargate teams, and not even with her own kinspeople. That speaks a lot for the character.<<<<<<<<<[quote]

You have made a reasonable counterpoint to Derrick's plaint about Teyla but I also think his has plenty of validity. Thing is, we don't enough about Teyla yet, that is about her character. So far, we don't know much about the inner mind workings of Teyla. She knows about the Wraith--great way to introduce that exposition into the stories--and she is the established diplomat amongst some of the cultures. This is not depth of character. We have no idea how she really felt living amongst her people--okay, so she was happy and everything was perfect. Just like my family. She would want to stay.

I can't take this any further because scifi does not emphasize character study. I mean, if we found out she resented her family because they smothered her--nah, not going to happen on an adventure show. Maybe she's attracted to Sheppard--wouldn't some people love that storyline! People infatuated will give up a lot to be with their object of affection.

What I am trying to say is you both have good points and it's interesting to talk about them openly.

--Kris-----ready to arm wrestle
                      Last edited by kris; 31 August 2004, 09:40 AM. Reason: addressee unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Larry
                        Best episode since the pilot imo. Has Chief O'Brien had any roles as a good guy other than Star Trek TNG/DS9?
                        The Snapper, The Van, The Commitments, interMission, How Harry Became a Tree...

Brilliant episode, simply brilliant. I of course knew the Genii were to become enemies, but all the back and forth was great. And I actually didn't see the cloaked jumpers coming, I thought the Genii were going to capture Jumper 1...

Looking forward to Home now, Hammond's back!

Comment

Originally posted by kryon22

It is different because you're talking about the relative scales of destruction involved in the combat maneouvres. Extrapolate the level of destruction capable in one kg of nuclear ordnance (and the corresponding number of warheads you're able to construct from it) versus one kg of biological agent. That one kg of innoculated toxin, could easily decimate an entire population of Wraith specimens (for lack of a better term). And having said that, when one's in the frame of reference to engineer a weapon for OFFENSIVE capabilities, you would look at modifying the toxin into a bioweapon capable of efficient delivery and uptake by the enemy...maximum exposure and possibly infectious, ie, clone the necessary agent's DNA into a modified highly infectious airborne virus that is specific for Wraith cells. Once you infect one hive colony, you literally wipe that colony out in a matter of hours/days. And one could reverse engineer this agent to be slow acting in spread, meaning, you could highly increase the possibility of transmitting the agent to other colony ships. Think opening a vial of virulent smallpox in a centre with massive international (interplanetary in this case) traffic. Get the picture?

Not really, no. It sounds like you're saying the bioweapon would be much more effective in killing more Wraith and on a wider scale with less risk to humans. If thats the case(and you made a good point of proving that it is the case) then the Atlantis team made a huge mistake by not hopping on board the bioweapon train.

Even with the most sophisticated massive supercomputing mainframes a lot of advanced biopharmaceuticals have to this day, the process of engineering a drug or protein or biologically viable agent to improve its characteristics and then testing it out on a population (or suitable animal model) takes many years of rigorous molecular design/testing as well as a lot of experimental application and study. There are also quite a number of host factors to study as well as taking into context the genetic heterogeneity of a population to which it is applied.

Thats a lot of big words which don't really mean much since the Doc managed to get pretty darn close to perfecting the drug in a couple of weeks using a Laptop and some test tubes. I say give the guy another month or so and he would've not only fixed the drug, but made it come in small chewable tablets that taste like chocolate ice cream.

Lots of inconsistencies in the train of thought here. If we're to believe the original premise of Teyla's character, then we have to focus on the bigger picture that she is the leader and representative of at least one major factor of the Athosians. As such, she has to think, respond and act in accordance with that role as well as being part of the Atlantis Team.

Remember that she has to upkeep the diplomatic ties the Athosians have with these trading partners. To not mention that she had a hand in the reawakening of the Wraith and that they had indeed been reawakened is plain irresponsible. And the Athosians being the more honourable race (as compared to the Genii), such honesty and transparency is paramount in maintaining these trade relations (regardless of the presence of the Earth Atlantis team).

This all depends on if the Ahtosians even trade anymore. They don't have access to a Stargate unless Weir sends a ship to lug them back to the city. And there's only so many beaver pelts that'll fit into the back of a puddle jumper. I don't believe it's neccasary for them to trade with other cultures since it was noted that they're on very fertile land with lots of animals and I'm sure that anything else they need could be taken care of by stuff found in the bottom of a closet in Atlantis. Need some oil for that lamp? Here, take an Atlantis Light(tm), it'll last 500 years. Want some spices for that meat? just use the Atlantis Salt Shaker(tm), it has enough to last for 8 generations.

Having suffered at the hands of the Wraith, wouldn't you feel compelled to try and save an awake sentient prisoner especially if you knew, at THAT point, you had the tactical advantage of anonymity. If you like the premise of SG-1, then it's just a variation on the WE-DON'T-LEAVE-OUR-PEOPLE-BEHIND bit. And about the variation in modus operandi and not leaving Sheppard behind, remember that they had several Atlantis team members to help drag his ass back after being stunned. She probably couldn't do rescue the stunned Genii Daddy-O on her own because look at the physical disparity between the two. He is so much heavier awkward than Ford was (remember Suspicion and there she already had trouble trying to get his unconscious ass back to Atlantis).

You know what, none of that matters. She's part of the Atlantis Team and no matter how fat that guy may have been, for that mission, he was part of the team,too. And you don't leave teammates behind. If it's like you say, and she's too weak to drag a wounded teammate, then she shouldn't be there in the first place. And worse, she didn't even try. So everyone who's more than 150lbs is just out of luck if they expect Teyla to help them out? The extra from Aliens that was stuck in that wall wasn't part of the team, but she was quick to try to pull him out. Where's the love for the Genii? So much for her being so honorable.

In fact, it is a testament to her character that she tries to help where possible instead of hiding behind the more tactical reason of, it would jepoardize the bigger mission. You can't really compare it with Teal'C because of the fact that Teal'C in a similar situation would be more physically able to effect a rescue operation. That doesn't mean that she should be shot down for trying.

This is hard to type without sounding condesending so please don't take it as such. That last paragraph makes no sense. It's a testament to her character that one second she trying to pull a screaming guy from a wall during a covert mission, and the next she's leaving her partner to die while she runs back to the ship? As soon as she tried to help that feeder mouse, she blew the mission. The Genii guy saw that and said 'Hey wait, we can't take that guy' He's the one that made the hard choice. And once again, if she can't carry the load, she better not step through that gate, She shouldn't be shot down for trying? Why not? Everyone else around her is.

As for Teyla only wanting creature comforts, I think it's laughable. In a situation like this where you're plagued by the constant possibility of death at a Wraith's feeding mitt, wouldn't the more attractive comfort be in the company of your own kinsmen, people who understood you, loved and cherished you and no matter the outcome, would stand by you, even if they were to fall? Instead she faces a higher risk of deadly outcomes by going through the wormhole in uncharted territory with the stargate teams, and not even with her own kinspeople. That speaks a lot for the character.
                          Teyla is acting exactly the opposite of what you describe. How is she a leader of her people if she only sees them on alternating weekends? Even Jonas knew that it's better to be a leader of you people, when you're WITH YOUR PEOPLE. Teyla is basically saying to her people, "See ya, wouldn't want to be ya!". Lets be honest, basically Teyla is an glamourized tour guide.(and I do mean glamourized..it only took her a couple of weeks to find a hairstylist to get rid of her ghetto athosian 'do). She's only there to facilitate meet and greets. Any Athosian could do that. You don't need to be the head muckitymuck just to say 'Genii, Atlantis. Atlantis, Genii.' From here it looks like Teyla's only in this to get in good with the rich kids and not have to live in a hut anymore.

D

Comment

One of the main things i enjoy about this cast is how their faults make their characters more believable. In every episode it's funny as hell to see one memeber of the crew slip-up.

Major Shepard isn't a Bruce Willis "Die Hard" bad azz, but in his own way he deals with things through a bit of strange humor. I also notice when push comes to shove, in the end he gets a bad azz edge to him.

What can I say about McKay? He takes things so seriously, yet this drives him to make me bust a gut everytime he's on the verge of a Hypoglascemic? reaction.

Ford is like Robin to Shepard's Batman. He's a young man who is learning like the rest of them to adapt to strange situations on another planet.

As for Weir, I can say she is very interesting. She can be passive at times but she is never above putting a person in check. As the series progresses I do feel she will develope her character more towards being a figure of authority in Atlantis.

Teyla's Naïveté shows how sheltered she actually was on her planet. She's learning about how other people she thought to be one thing are turning out to be another. It all about learning while she's fitting into her own skin on the Atlantis crew. For all of her naive traits she believes in being honest with others about the dangers they face. I do believe that actually being with her people is no progression at all when she can actually be on the field trying to work with the people that can maybe offer hope to weakening the wraith. What is she going to do...Lead them in planting crops when she can be helping with the problem with the Atlantis team?

Overall I am throwing positives to their negatives. During the next few seasons (sci-fi willing) I look forward to seeing each character and their personallities progress. The Genii progression will probably teach the crew to learn from their mistakes and never underestimate their foes. Maybe from their blunders of offering C4 with open smiles and trading for tava? beans with anyone will make them more astute in the coming altercations with the Genii.
                            Last edited by Sy'onei; 06 September 2004, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                              The Snapper, The Van, The Commitments, interMission, How Harry Became a Tree...
                              ...The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain... stole that one right out from under Hugh Grant.

This show's a keeper. We're 8 episodes in, and none of the scripts have made me want to throw a brick at the tv. Not to mention that McKay rules the galaxy.
                              Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Comment

I saw the repeat on SciFi tonight. I noticed 3 things that I missed the first time:

- When the team first comes thru the Stargate to the Genii planet, Teyla is telling the team about what food the Genii produce. She says "Tava Beans." McKay mis-hears this and say "Java?". As in JavaBeans, a computer term. I like how McKay gets in his computer jokes. He had one about Windows in Childhood's End.

- After the team and the Genii agree to work together, they sit down for a meal. McKay wonders if there is any lemon in the food. Ford tells him to eat. McKay asks Ford if he's ever seen anyone go into anaphylactic shock.

Apparently, McKay is worried enough about the food that he doesn't eat any of it. I noticed most everyone else chewing at one time or another during the meal. But I only saw McKay drinking. In fact, when Cowen and Sheppard were out of the room and McKay was talking about he could help the Genii get back on track, he didn't even have his plate right in front of him. It looked like he had pushed it away.

- The people Bates managed to trade with for some food were the Menarians.

My kind of guy:
                                "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                                Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                                (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Working...
                                X