No announcement yet.

Poisoning the Well (107)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, here we go. All my stupidity aside. Seriously. Starting now.

I'd say this was one of the better episodes of Atlantis to date. I mean, it had something for almost everyone. Those of us who wanted more Steve got more Steve. The Beckett fans thought it was practically Christmas day. Even the one or two people who wanted more offworld and less Atlantis got what they were looking for.

I can completely understand the rather high amount of support for the resolution approving the drug. These people accomplish so much only to be smacked back centuries in their development. I remember seeing somewhere that the Wraith tend to cull something like 95% of each herd's population. Better a guaranteed 50% than 95% dying to feed the Wraith. We may not have liked the results, but it was their choice to make.

Sheppard got screwed on info from Steve, no doubt about it. Like Shadow said, he told them nothing. "All of them" could be 1 or 1 million. I'm just wondering if they'll try to bag another Wraith to see if they can get anything more out of the next one. Knowing how shows work, probably not.

Weir is having to face the music. She's finally realizing that the rules work great when there's a solid civilization to enforce them. Out in Pegasus, they're a luxury. I'd like to see an episode where she goes too far down that slippery slope and is forced to climb back on her moral high ground.

Teyla's role? I've got it! She's Jiminey Cricket!

And what are they gonna do about Steve's corpse? Yes, they've done an autopsy but are we gonna put Steve in jars? Steve on ice? Get some Athosian taxidermist to stuff Steve all Planet of the Apes style? I need closure here!
    Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Yes this was a good one. Not too much action in it but you can't always have that. I like a good moral dilema episode anyway. It kinda reminded me of the whole Tollan thing back on SG-1. How they wouldn't give technology to people who didn't have it.(different I know but it reminded me) Perhaps the Atlantis crew will be more hesitant, helping with things like this in the future.

And Steve's corpse? Hold an big funeral service for him ...in all seriousness, they will probably study it. They couldn't pass up that chance.
      Daniel:Nyet
      Jack: Daniel?
      Daniel: He just asked me if we were Soviet Spies. I just...
      Jack: Nyet???

Comment

Will they leave any pieces behind for the locals to play with, maybe see if they can find a cure for their cure?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          Will they leave any pieces behind for the locals to play with, maybe see if they can find a cure for their cure?
          They might. If the silly locals even care to look for a cure.
          Daniel:Nyet
          Jack: Daniel?
          Daniel: He just asked me if we were Soviet Spies. I just...
          Jack: Nyet???

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
            I agree. Steve was a MUCH more interesting character than....

hmm...

Teyla. I still don't like her.
            not to mention that Steve had the more convincing wig. I swear, that silly thing on Teyla's head gets worse every week.

Comment

Originally posted by Mornington
              not to mention that Steve had the more convincing wig. I swear, that silly thing on Teyla's head gets worse every week.
              I'm thinking about getting a pet and naming it Steve.

Maybe I can dye a hamster blue....
              sigpic

Comment

Hmm, this episode was practically a Teyla'less episode, without counting the small lines she had, but maybe i missed some of her scenes since someone was talking to me at the sametime.
                Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Steve was the only Wraith we've experienced that isent some big guy in armor. Besides the Wraith Woman in 101. Steve was a badass with the Long hair and moustache and that stride he did...

He was my fav character.

^ Earth Rules.

"And I hope noone forgot to feed my Rash'nak"

-Daniel, "Icon" Season 8 SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by PYRO
                    He was my fav character.
                    The characters you want to keep, they kill off, but the characters you want soooooooo much to die, they stay for the whole series.
                    sigpic

Comment

This was really good.

- Story was OK, seemed a little more interesting on paper.
                      - Not enough McKay
                      - Beckett was great, especially his Gate-phobia.
                      - Steve.... I have never laughed so hard in my life. I can now never talk to a man called Steve without laughing, I'm actually laughing right now... it's just so funny
                      - Speaking of which, I'm awaiting the Shep/Steve slash thread to start

It's probably my least favourite ep so far (not that that's bad or anything) but Steve definately saved it

Comment

I thought it was an excellent episode. Sheppard's interrogation scenes were the best, followed closely by Beckett's. Best line, "I was on an alien planet!" That whole scene had me ROTFL.

I disagree with comparing Shep to O'Neill. Sheppard may share the same sarcasm, but that's about all. O'Neill is a very hard character, jaded, slow to trust, and there is a hardness to him. Sheppard may have a sardonic wit, but he's also trusting and has an innocence to him that O'Neill doesn't.

The Hoffan's felt they had no choice in using the drug, but with a 50% mortality rate, they are going to do the wraith's job for them. They didn't discuss if the drug will have to be adminstered to each generation, which is kind of an important flaw in this situation. If it cost 50% for each generation, that's going to end up doing a lot of harm if the wraith don't wipe them out anyway (which I agree with Sheppard, they probably will, the wraith strike me as pretty nasty characters-go figure).

Of course, the mortality rate could probably be lowered with more time and research but the prime research doctor died from her innoculation.

Excellent growth with Beckett's character.

Interesting dilemma for Weir to face, and it was nice to see she was up to the challenge.
                        sigpic

Comment

I liked it. It was an interesting moral dilemna. I agree that there needed to be more McKay but that's just because I wuv him. Paul McGillion did an excellent job though. I think that he's going to be the Teryl Rothery of Atlantis. Playing a big part but only given guest star status even into the 7th year of the show. At least I hope he stays around. I like him.

And I too was disapointed that they killed off Steve. I think that they could hve done more with him. The whole naming him Steve thing made me see him more as a pet. One of the first things they tell people in labratory's doing animal testing (squick. Horrendous practice. Poor animals.) is not to name the animals because it promotes bonding. I was surprised that Shepard showed any compassion at all for Steve when he was dying after all the baiting he's done and how quick he was to run tests on him.

Anyway, I thought it was a good ep and (yay!!!) there will be Colm Meaney next week. Woo hoo!

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                            I was surprised that Shepard showed any compassion at all for Steve when he was dying after all the baiting he's done and how quick he was to run tests on him.
                            Speaking of bait, I think they should have used Bates as bait instead. Although now I'm curious. Bates- he WAS the guy guarding Steve, right?- said that Steve had given up trying to make him "see" things. Makes me wonder what he was seeing... and if the visions had really stopped or if Steve just got a lot more clever about what he showed him. *sigh* It all goes back to dumping off an interesting character too soon.

I still want to know the purpose of that metal finger guard.

Comment

I liked it but I also thought it was kinda boring for some reason. Good story though.

One thing that always pisses me off is when the Earth teams need to judge everyone else. Okay so 50% of everyone will die. Well thats their choice isnt it? Shouldnt you still help them? Telling them you will never come back. Psh!

Hey and isnt that the same lady who was in The Cure in Season 6?
                              "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Enjoyed this one on quite a few levels.

First up: Beckett. Gotta love this guy. The writers gave him a story with a medical/scientific challenge, a bonnie lass to work with, some big ethical issues, and finally, loss. That's...a LOT. Props to Paul McGillion for pulling it off very well. He manages to portray an intensely passionate character without falling into the "chewing the scenery" trap. Well done.

Toning down McKay this week (although the whole rejected handshake thing was great) was appropriate. There's plenty of stuff for him to do in other eps.

I liked the fact that this episode made you think; the Hoffans have very, very strong convictions about their history, their heritage, and their fight against the Wraith. The visitors from Atlantis also want to defeat the Wraith, but there's a conflict of some important values. Should the visitors judge the Hoffans by Earth standards? Do they have that right? Important issues of self-determination arise. (Importantly, the Chancellor shows consistency, and keeps his word re: sharing the outcome of the vote, and keeping with his plan, even though the visitors disagree. More importantly, Sheppard agrees to let the Hoffans proceed, and withdraws the team.)

I wanted to smack Weir when she brought up the Geneva Convention. I'm not sure what part of "Laws and protocols from Earth aren't necessarily relevant in the Pegasus galaxy" she's not understanding.

I'll miss Steve. (rofl!) He could have been useful, or at least entertaining, for a few more weeks. They need another Wraith-in-a-box. I'm wondering what "live stuff" Sheppard was referring to when he mentioned that the only things Wraith can feed on are humans. He'd attempted to keep Steve alive; and seemed genuinely concerned when he eventually died.

I'm still ambivalent re: Teyla and (especially) Ford. The guy they have playing Stackhouse is a better actor and has a more military demeanor IMHO.

Did anyone else find Sheppard's "dinner party" reference a tad callous, as he said it in front of poor Merrill (sp?)

Perna was an obvious red shirt, but her actress did a good job.

Lots of good stuff. Well done.
                                We suspend our disbelief, and we are entertained...

Comment

Working...
                                X