What episodes feature the scenes
    where you feel that
    Amanda Tapping's
    wonderful acting talents
    get to shine?

(without reference or consideration
    for hair or clothing styles...
    or ship or such... )

Please note that you can vote for several episodes when you cast your ballot,
    but once you hit submit, it won't let you come back and vote again.

You can vote in the poll, and then post your comments in this thread.
    Comments and discussion may also overlap into the Sam's A Great Character Thread.

Pics that capture your favorite AT acting scene are greatly appreciated too!
    (A picture is worth a thousand words...)

If you want a reminder of what each episode was about... Season 3 Episode Summaries

The Poll

-------

Over the years, we've discussed which episodes (and scenes) were the best, or most important, for the Stargate characters. We've run 'Best Episode' Polls for each season and such.

However, when trying to decide which episode was the best of a season for a certain character, such as Sam, one of the issues that fans have wrestled with is... whether to pick the episode which features the most/best AT on screen, or the episode which features the best Sam Carter scenes. Examples include Entity (which had some wonderful AT acting scenes, but she wasn't playing Sam Carter, as much as she was playing/acting an alien entity). Another example would be an episode with lots of RepliCarter, or Geek!Sam, where again, these are wonderful AT acting scenes, a wonderful look at AT acting out-of-the-regular-confines of the character of 'our' Sam Carter.

So, we've already done the 'Best Sam Carter' Episodes of each season (polls were done last year on the GW forum, and informal polls were also conducted again recently on the Sam's A Great Character Thread), and many have recommended that we should do some 'Best AT Acting Polls'... so here we go

The Poll

---------

Results of Season 2 Poll + posted comments
    Results of Season 1 Poll + posted comments
    Into the Fire
    4.90%
    Seth
    8.74%
    Fair Game
    1.05%
    Legacy
    1.40%
    Learning Curve
    5.59%
    Point of View
    9.44%
    Deadman Switch
    2.80%
    Demons
    0.35%
    Rules of Engagement
    0.70%
    Forever In a Day
    1.40%
    Past and Present
    1.05%
    Jolinar's Memories
    15.73%
    The Devil You Know (Jol's Mems, pt 2)
    13.29%
    Foothold
    13.29%
    Pretense
    0.00%
    Urgo
    6.29%
    A Hundred Days
    4.90%
    Shades of Grey
    1.75%
    New Ground
    0.35%
    Maternal Instinct
    0.35%
    Crystal Skull
    1.40%
    Nemesis
    5.24%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by astrogeologist; 30 June 2006, 09:22 PM.

To get things started... I voted for EIGHT! great AT episodes in Season 3 - and I actually think there were more, but I made myself stop. Season 3 was great for both AT and Sam Carter!

Specifically, I voted for

Into The Fire Loved the bit where she gets outfitted back into her BDU's and heads back in by herself. AT did a great job with that!

Seth AT's acting when she had to take Seth out with the ribbon device - and her reactions after it - just superb.

Learning Curve Loved all of AT's acting and scenes with Merrin.

Jolinar's Memories and The Devil You KnowAT's acting with the Tokra recall device and Jolinar's memories. Also loved AT's interaction with CA (the actor who played her father)

Foothold AT was wonderful in this episode. Loved her scenes with Maybourne - she played the exhaustion and drugged out feeling well... also played the exasperated snark perfectly with Maybourne - an exceptional ad-lib that became a SamClassic. The scenes on the plane are also some of my favorites.

Urgo AT got to do some comedy - and she did it wonderfully.

Nemesis AT played Solid Soldier Sam perfectly.

Last edited by astrogeologist; 29 June 2006, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Seth:
      The reaction to Sam's deed in killing Seth with the ribbon device was great - the look of "what have I done?" was great.

Learning Curve:
      Showed Sam had knowledge of science and also looked out for Merrin who was being used by her people

Jolinar's Memories & The Devil You Know:
      Has to be the best Season Three episodes for Sam and AT - Great acting throughout. Sam went through different stages of emotion, from dispear, anger, etc

Comment

Jolinar Memories and The Devil you know she is simply great
        I was stuck by the torturing scene where she feels the suffering of Jolinar poor Sam...
        Hallowed is RepliCarter!

Hallowed are the Ori...

Comment

jolinar's memories was some of the best AT acting, particularly the bit with the memory recall device on the cargo ship.
          sigpic
          http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
          http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Ok...well I voted for Jolinars memories and The devil you know and Urgo and Foothold...I really loved JM & TDYK and Foothold...especially when she yells at Maybourne...this was a tough choice!
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Into the Fire: the bits with Steve Makaj (Makepeace) blah blah blah.

Seth: god-killing scene

Learning Curve: always disappointed that story turns from Carter/Merrin to O'Neill/Merrin, and that's saying something because 'cute kid' stories usually turn me off. AT had good chem with kid while keeping Carter Carter... didn't got the typical maternal route.

The Devil You Know

Foothold: should be self-evident
              Last edited by DEM; 02 July 2006, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Ok I thought it would get easier every time but... no. Season 3 was a great season for AT, lots of good acting in it. she was in every episode really good. I mean sometimes she didn't have in every episode a big part, but the little things that make her act are great.
                for those I have voted:

Seth:
                *when she is in the elevator and the hall talking to her dad about Mark... you see the issues they have between eachother but also the issues between Mark/jacob and Sam.
                *when she kills seth: You see on her face that she knows she has to do it, cause there is no other solution for it. but in the meantime you also see how much troubles she has with it. She doesn't want to kill anyone. And when Jack says hail dorethy, you see on sam's face that she doesn't like the fact that he said that.

Legacy:
                *when they are visting Daniel when he is insane, you see the sorrow she has. you see that she does not know how to react to it. AT shows you really how Sam is feeling at the moment. when you look at her expression of her face, you understand what a good friend she and Daniel are

*when sam is working on the cure for getting those things outside janet and jack... you see her devotion.

Learning curve:
                *is a really good episode for the character of sam, here you see the devotion to her work, what that means to her. and the fun she has in it. the way she is with kids. and the friendship she has with Janet
                *when sam and jack are talking about school...the way she looks at him, she thinks it is really funny but she can't laugh cause that would not be appropriate so she gives a smile instead

Point of view:
                *when AU sam sees jack for the first time, when she is laying in the bed in the infermery. she thinks that jack is dead and than she sees him. On her face you can see so much emotions. she is happy that he is here, sad that it isn't her jack, surprised,...

*when they are talking in her room about what happened to her and jack in her reality, the tears she has and the sorrow (I cried when I saw that for the first time so...)

*the look on sam's faces when they made that thing for the energy... you can see how much fun they had in doing it.

*when Jack is kissing AU sam and then the look on sam's face tells you so much. she is trying not to be jalous but she is and you can see it. but you also can see that she is trying to not show it to the everyone else

Jolinar's memories:
                *when she hears about her dead that he is in trouble, and then when she is talking to Martouf about it.
                *when she is reliving the memories of Jolinar and the pain she feels because of those memories, and when she talks about it with Daniel

*when she sees her dad for the first time in the pit. she is happy that she found him but also sad cause he isn't good, he is ill.

The devil you know:
                *when she is being tortured by apophis... that looks like it really hurt.
                *when she has that hallucination and she thinks that she is again a kid who has just losted her mother. It is AT playing but if you didn't know better you would really think it was a kid.

*when they are rescued and she is giving her dad the water. and they are talking about a vacation. The smile on her face says it all.

Foothold:
                *the scene with maybourne when she is mad.

Nemesis:
                *when she is sooting at the replicators, the look on her face is really great.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                  Ok I thought it would get easier every time but... no. Season 3 was a great season for AT, lots of good acting in it. she was in every episode really good. I mean sometimes she didn't have in every episode a big part, but the little things that make her act are great.
                  RC, your posts are always so wonderful - I *love* the pics to go along with your comments! Thanks so much for posting them (PS, tried to rep you, but the jello monitors aren't allowing me to do so for you right now)

Comment

Season 3 is one of the best seasons, in my opinion. There are so many great moments. Where to even begin...

I remember the first time I saw Jolinar's Memories and The Devil You Know. Wow. Amanda's acting was phenomenal. The reliving of Sam and Jolinar's memories, the torture, the scenes with Carmen-they were powerfully portrayed. I still get goose bumps when I see them.

There were quite a few S3 moments that really got to me. The part in Forever in a Day when Sam brings Daniel cookies, and in Legacy when they visit Daniel in the cell. Amanda coveys Sam's concern for her friend so well. She even got me teared up and I don't cry!

In Learning Curve, she had great chemistry with Merrin...and Jack. The part at the end when he gives Merrin the crayons, and the way Sam looks at Jack...like she's seeing a side of him she doesn't normally get to, and it really touches her. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but something AT did just made that scene stick with me.

Of course Seth-when she kills him. AT shows how Sam felt horrified at what she had done. Sam realized she was capable of doing what the Goa'uld did-that she could do something like that if she had to. It probably scared her. AT played it wonderfully.

Foothold was awesome! The Maybourne improv makes it all worth while! AT is genius! Just great acting the whole time-especially the scene with Maybourne, 'Jack', and 'Daniel'.

Urgo was priceless, what more can I say?

A Hundred Days...wow. As a shipper that stung. The only part I can really watch is when Janet comes to visit Sam. I could just feel what she was going through. And the end when she gets the brush off...AT handled it all so well. Not pining away for the guy, but you knew she cared more than she was supposed to.

I loved the way she played the fishing invitation in Nemesis. She was too cute!

Point of View was good because we got an alternate Sam. They were they same, yet distinctly different. A hard task, but Amanda pulled it off. And I have to say, great job with the kissing scene!

Of course every scene Amanda performs is well done. The whole season was great. Those are just some things that stuck out in my head at this late hour.
                    Last edited by L.A. Doyle; 02 July 2006, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Season 3 held so many fine Amanda moments ... the woman can act. Period. Her tone, facial expressions, body language are just so spot on when she portrays Sam and makes Sam so real for us!

Yes, Jolinar's Memories and TDYK really showcase Sam and the ramifications of S2's Line of Duty. Amanda is superb.

However, for me, it's Foothold where Amanda takes the character's arc and moves it forward with a giant leap. This episode shows Sam emerging from 2IC and displaying potential as a future leader. Although groggy from the immediate ordeal, she takes charge of the situation, makes some tough decisions and escapes. Amanda shows the character's strength and determination as Sam has to trust only her own instincts while going against the establishment (Maybourne encounter at the cafe is a classic and ad-libbed by AT). I just love how Amanda takes us along for an exciting ride and saves the day! Her scientific brain finds the solution to the alien incursion while her warrior mentality keeps her ever alert and defensive. Great job!

Comment

season 3 was such a great year for sam

I loved Seth simply because it was sam and dad...but also because it confronted jolinar.

Deadman switch i loved because i liked the interactions between her and aris and how she reacted to being the hostage...a situation i know that she put herself in because the knew the boys wouldnt' leave her behind

Foothold....sam saves the day. sigh. i LOVE this one. such great sam and teal'c bits, how he never doubts that she'll come back

JOlinar's mems/tdyk - i loved the depth of friendship. the boys risked thier lives for her and her dad, and sam also confronted jolinar's dark side... a dark side that is now a part of her

nemesis i love how she got things 'her way'...ie not letting jack sacrifice himself without her and teal'c at least trying to help

oh, and on a shallow note, her s3 hair was gorgous
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ah, astro, astro, astro, this doesn't get any easier Such a difficult decision to make, I wanted to check them all but I managed to narrow them down (I think)

Seth: as mentioned before, when Sam killed Seth she had to use her emotions to control the device and afterwards its like, Sam can't believe she had all that darkness in her to be able to kill that way. Its much different to use a gun than it is to use the Goa'uld device.

Jolinar's Memories & The Devil You Know (Jol's Mems, pt 2): You can't choose one without the other. The recall of the torture on the ship, was totally believable, you could feel her pain. Then on the planet the way she played the concern for her father and the others was truley memorable

Foothold: Wow she went through a multitude of emotional changes in this one! When she wakes up, you can believe she really feels sick, you can see that she hates to leave Teal'c behind but knows its the only way to get help. Then there's the meeting with Maybourne, seeing her anger and lashing out at Maybourne was great. Then in the same scene seeing her confusion and doubting herself when speaking with faux Jack and Daniel, I had doubts myself Amanda did a remarkable job in that episode.

A Hundred Days: While this was mostly a Jack episode, you can see the beginiings of her deep feelings for him, and her drive to get him back, while she denies her feelings you can still see them on the surface.

Shades of Grey: I chose this episode because it continues on with the problems she's having with her feelings for Jack. You could tell she was deeply hurt by what Jack said to her.

Wow didn't think I had that much to say, but then again talking about Amanda's acting brings out the long windedness in many of us
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            season 3 was such a great year for sam

I loved Seth simply because it was sam and dad...but also because it confronted jolinar.

Deadman switch i loved because i liked the interactions between her and aris and how she reacted to being the hostage...a situation i know that she put herself in because the knew the boys wouldnt' leave her behind

Foothold....sam saves the day. sigh. i LOVE this one. such great sam and teal'c bits, how he never doubts that she'll come back

JOlinar's mems/tdyk - i loved the depth of friendship. the boys risked thier lives for her and her dad, and sam also confronted jolinar's dark side... a dark side that is now a part of her

nemesis i love how she got things 'her way'...ie not letting jack sacrifice himself without her and teal'c at least trying to help

oh, and on a shallow note, her s3 hair was gorgous
                            Oh yes Sky, how could I forget about the hair After all we know its always about the hair
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

This is a tough choice.

Seth - Amanda did a fantastic job at the end when Sam killed Seth. She was able to convey Sam's determination to stop Seth, her unease with using Goa'uld technology and her horror at what she had done. Great scenes with Carmen Argenziano too.

Point Of View - Another amazing job by Amanda. She was able to play two different versions of her character and show them as individuals, but at the same time to retain the similarities.

Jolinar's Memories and The Devil You Know - The flashback scenes were beautifully handled, and the interaction with the other characters, Jacob and Martouf in particular, was really well done.

Foothold - One of my favourite episodes ever. Amanda captured Sam's exhaustion, impatience and determination, as well as her doubts about whether she could be wrong, perfectly.

Urgo - Delightful comedy scenes, and some great Scientist Sam moments when she was trying to figure out how to de-Urgoify the team. I especially like the scene in the locker room when Sam raises the question of whether Urgo is sentient.

Honourable mentions for "Into The Fire", "Fair Game", Legacy", "Learning Curve"... okay, every other episode.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Working...
                              X