What episodes feature the scenes
    where you feel that
    Amanda Tapping's
    wonderful acting talents
    get to shine?

(without reference or consideration
    for hair or clothing styles...
    or ship or such... )

Please note that you can vote for several episodes when you cast your ballot,
    but once you hit submit, it won't let you come back and vote again.

You can vote in the poll, and then post your comments in this thread.
    Comments and discussion may also overlap into the Sam's A Great Character Thread.

Pics that capture your favorite AT acting scene are greatly appreciated too!
    (A picture is worth a thousand words...)

If you want a reminder of what each episode was about... Season Two

The Poll

-------

Over the years, we've discussed which episodes (and scenes) were the best, or most important, for the Stargate characters. We've run 'Best Episode' Polls for each season and such.

However, when trying to decide which episode was the best of a season for a certain character, such as Sam, one of the issues that fans have wrestled with is... whether to pick the episode which features the most/best AT on screen, or the episode which features the best Sam Carter scenes. Examples include Entity (which had some wonderful AT acting scenes, but she wasn't playing Sam Carter, as much as she was playing/acting an alien entity). Another example would be an episode with lots of RepliCarter, or Geek!Sam, where again, these are wonderful AT acting scenes, a wonderful look at AT acting out-of-the-regular-confines of the character of 'our' Sam Carter.

So, we've already done the 'Best Sam Carter' Episodes of each season (polls were done last year on the GW forum, and informal polls were also conducted again recently on the Sam's A Great Character Thread), and many have recommended that we should do some 'Best AT Acting Polls'... so here's the first one

The Poll

---------

Results of Season 1 Poll + posted comments
    The Serpent's Lair
    1.88%
    In the Line of Duty
    21.32%
    Prisoners
    0.63%
    The Gamekeeper
    0.00%
    Need
    1.57%
    Thor's Chariot
    0.31%
    Message In a Bottle
    5.96%
    Family
    0.63%
    Secrets
    8.46%
    Bane
    0.63%
    The Tok'ra, Parts 1 and 2
    20.06%
    Spirits
    3.45%
    Touchstone
    0.31%
    The Fifth Race
    1.88%
    A Matter of Time
    10.97%
    Holiday
    1.25%
    Serpent's Song
    0.31%
    One False Step
    0.63%
    Show and Tell
    0.63%
    8.78%
    Out of Mind
    10.34%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by astrogeologist; 29 June 2006, 09:39 AM.

I voted for SEVEN episodes! So many great episodes for Sam and AT in Season 2!

In The Line of Duty - great scenes by AT playing Jolinar taking over Carter. The scenes with Jack in the cell. The scenes with Cassie. The scenes with the Ashrak. And then the final scenes with Jack, Janet and Cassie. Wow!

Secrets - great character development, and more great scenes by AT. Scenes with Carmen Argenziano, where some father-daughter roles are played out and established. Her father announces that he pulled strings to get her into NASA. AT's reactions to this were wonderful as she played the daughter who wants to stand on her own. Then her father announces that he has cancer. AT plays the reactions to this beautifully.

The Tokra, parts 1&2 - the whole memories of Jolinar scenes. And the scenes with Martouf were so poignant and beautifully played by AT & JB - not many scifi scenes touch me and stay with me the way that these scenes did! Exceptionally well done.

Spirits - because she got to be in charge for awhile

A Matter of Time - I liked the bit with the donuts! And, Carter/AT is central to solving the 'disaster of the day'. And connecting the Stargate to the field around a black hole... was a pretty cool scifi idea, too.

1969 - AT actually looked like she could easily fit into the whole 60's culture. Loved that episode. AT/Sam looked like she was having fun.

Out of Mind - Loved seeing her outfitted back into her BDU's and going back in alone. She looked so competent!

I could say more (rave), but I want to leave room for others to comment
    Last edited by astrogeologist; 24 June 2006, 11:20 AM.

Comment

In The Line Of Duty
      Secrets
      The Tok'ra
      Spirits
      A Matter Of Time

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Ah, I should have checked all the episodes because AT is so great all the time! However, I picked my top three.

In the Line of Duty: This is just amazing acting. She played Jolinar so well-the freaking out in the gate room, the scenes in the cell with Jack(especially when she started calling out for him), Daniel, and Teal'c, and at the end(when she was fighting to live, and later she just looked so depressed). One of my favorite episodes of all time, thanks to AT!
        The Tokra: The part when she is with Martouf on the surface. I agree astro, it was very poignant and beautifully played. You could just see how confused she was by having all of Jolinar's memories. Also the part when she calls her dad and then talks with Hammond. So well done!
        Secrets: The scene with Sam and her dad is so moving. I just wanted to reach out and hug her. AT does a fantastic job when it comes to scenes like that. I also liked her interaction with Jack this episode, and with her dad of course! AT has amazing chemistry with both of those fellows!

Comment

Ok this one is way to hard for me, I really loved season 2, and especially AT in it... she was really great(she always is but season 2 has some great AT episodes) but still I did have to make a choice so here goes (and again I am using some screencaps):

In the line of duty: that is a really good episode for AT, I really loved the whole episode... AT really acted in it very well... At first you know that there is something wrong with her but you have no idea what it is... You really have a clue but if you than see the end you are way off...
          *when she is at the gate with the granate and she slaps O'neill. She really looks evil and I really would be scared of her if she was in my neigbourhood

*when she is in the holding cell and she is Jolinar she is really stoic and then when she becomes 'Carter' again she really changes in 1,2,3... looks like it is natural and with no problem (shows AT good acting)

*when the ashrak in torturing sam... oh that was really some good whumping... and I had the pain in her place so that shows her skills when she is in pain

*when she just lost Jolinar and Daniel/Cassie are coming to see her... you see that she is in a lot of pain and that she is really depressed but you also can see in her eyes that she will come over it. and that seeing cassie was something she really likes

Message in a bottle: just a little scenes I really love and that make that episode really worth it to vote for it
          *when Daniel and Carter are looking at the sphere and she knows that Simmons like her, the look on her face is really really good... and funny

*when she has to remove the IV of O'neill so she can talk to the 'virus', as shipper that is one good scene and you can see the pain Carter has with doing it... but she knows that is the solution for that problem so... she knows that is a good thing to do

Secrets: is a good episode for her character, you are starting to know her a little better. And well she has some emotional moments in it and AT plays them so well. I really liked everything in the episode but especially:
          *when she sees that her father is there...her face says so much... you understand that they don't have the perfect band with eachother

*when her father tells her that he is dying and she starts to cry but she just don't want to cry so she is trying to hold on but that is so difficult for her...and than watching outside...

Tokra: I liked the two very much... also here you get a better picture of how Carter is and AT really acts it off... you believe that she is Carter and that she has been through everything that Carter has been through
          *when she talks to Martouf about the blending with Jollinar and what she felt for Martouf and how she feels about it

*when she tells her dad about the Tokra and about what she really does as work.. the expression on her face when he says 'Holly Hannah' is really funny and you really have to love that

*when the wall is falling in and her expression on it

*when she says goodbye to her dad before he blends with Selmak... that is so emotional and that is something what AT really does very well

A matter of time:is a good AT especially cause here is the first time that you good can see how good she prepars her techno babbeling
          *when she explains to O'neill what a wormhole is? she is serious and he is making jokes of it...

*explaining to Teal'c and Hammond what the best solution is to deal with the problem... and don't forget the donut... I mean how can you actually be stay serious when you explain fysics with food.

(sorry for the big post...again)

Comment

Holy Hannah! What a post Replicartertje! I was going to put pics in mine, but I just now figured out how to resize them so they didn't take up the whole screen! Nice post!

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
              Ah, I should have checked all the episodes because AT is so great all the time! However, I picked my top three.

In the Line of Duty: This is just amazing acting. She played Jolinar so well-the freaking out in the gate room, the scenes in the cell with Jack(especially when she started calling out for him), Daniel, and Teal'c, and at the end(when she was fighting to live, and later she just looked so depressed). One of my favorite episodes of all time, thanks to AT!
              The Tokra: The part when she is with Martouf on the surface. I agree astro, it was very poignant and beautifully played. You could just see how confused she was by having all of Jolinar's memories. Also the part when she calls her dad and then talks with Hammond. So well done!
              Secrets: The scene with Sam and her dad is so moving. I just wanted to reach out and hug her. AT does a fantastic job when it comes to scenes like that. I also liked her interaction with Jack this episode, and with her dad of course! AT has amazing chemistry with both of those fellows!
              Wonderful post, LA! Great comments

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                Ok this one is way to hard for me, I really loved season 2, and especially AT in it... she was really great(she always is but season 2 has some great AT episodes) but still I did have to make a choice so here goes (and again I am using some screencaps):

In the line of duty: that is a really good episode for AT, I really loved the whole episode... AT really acted in it very well... At first you know that there is something wrong with her but you have no idea what it is... You really have a clue but if you than see the end you are way off...
                *when she is at the gate with the granate and she slaps O'neill. She really looks evil and I really would be scared of her if she was in my neigbourhood

*when she is in the holding cell and she is Jolinar she is really stoic and then when she becomes 'Carter' again she really changes in 1,2,3... looks like it is natural and with no problem (shows AT good acting)

*when the ashrak in torturing sam... oh that was really some good whumping... and I had the pain in her place so that shows her skills when she is in pain

*when she just lost Jolinar and Daniel/Cassie are coming to see her... you see that she is in a lot of pain and that she is really depressed but you also can see in her eyes that she will come over it. and that seeing cassie was something she really likes

Message in a bottle: just a little scenes I really love and that make that episode really worth it to vote for it
                *when Daniel and Carter are looking at the sphere and she knows that Simmons like her, the look on her face is really really good... and funny

*when she has to remove the IV of O'neill so she can talk to the 'virus', as shipper that is one good scene and you can see the pain Carter has with doing it... but she knows that is the solution for that problem so... she knows that is a good thing to do

Secrets: is a good episode for her character, you are starting to know her a little better. And well she has some emotional moments in it and AT plays them so well. I really liked everything in the episode but especially:
                *when she sees that her father is there...her face says so much... you understand that they don't have the perfect band with eachother

*when her father tells her that he is dying and she starts to cry but she just don't want to cry so she is trying to hold on but that is so difficult for her...and than watching outside...

Tokra: I liked the two very much... also here you get a better picture of how Carter is and AT really acts it off... you believe that she is Carter and that she has been through everything that Carter has been through
                *when she talks to Martouf about the blending with Jollinar and what she felt for Martouf and how she feels about it

*when she tells her dad about the Tokra and about what she really does as work.. the expression on her face when he says 'Holly Hannah' is really funny and you really have to love that

*when the wall is falling in and her expression on it

*when she says goodbye to her dad before he blends with Selmak... that is so emotional and that is something what AT really does very well

A matter of time:is a good AT especially cause here is the first time that you good can see how good she prepars her techno babbeling
                *when she explains to O'neill what a wormhole is? she is serious and he is making jokes of it...

*explaining to Teal'c and Hammond what the best solution is to deal with the problem... and don't forget the donut... I mean how can you actually be stay serious when you explain fysics with food.

(sorry for the big post...again)
                5-star post, RCtje! Love the pics (never too many pics)... and longer posts, with pics, are the best!

Comment

Well this is fun!!!
                  I voted for In the Line of Duty, The Tok'ra pts 1&2 and Out of Mind cos I loved them soooo much. Very cool eps. I especially loved ITLOD cos of the emotions Amanda expressed...very nicely done!
                  "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I have voted for In the line of duty, Secrets and The Tok'ra
                    You have explained the reasons so I will not spend too much time to explain me. let just say I was really impressed in In the line of duty by his playing of Jolinar.
                    AT is a really talented actress who can play many roles, as all the "doubles" or "possessions" (see for example the IA entity) of Sam in the serie show it
                    Hallowed is RepliCarter!

Hallowed are the Ori...

Comment

why did i pick what i picked

well itlod was just great sam. she made such a sublte difference between her and jolinar

secrets and tok'ra was because of her and dad and we got to really get a look into her conflicts with family and duty

matter of time, pure frustated sam...who wasn't listened to, was kinda ignored and ended up being right in the end. which woulda been nice to have heard someone say

show and tell....sam and dad again...and soldier sam.

serpents song because we got a tiny glimpse into just how much jolinar effected her and the memories she has to deal with....and how her friends dealt with her differences

when she confronted pops and he talks about sokar's new queen, sam was scared spitless...but kept doing her duty anyway
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Even though you can vote more than once, it's still difficult narrowing it down
                        I voted for:
                        ITLOD- so much happened to Sam in that episode and Amanda handled all the aspects wonderfully.
                        Secrets-the father daughter relationship in that episode was so beleivable and AT the way AT played it, not having Sam "break down" until she was alone.

Tokra P1&2- again Amanda played the confusion and unease Sam was going through at meeting these people that Jolinar knew, but Sam didn't.

Out of Mind-here we see Sam strenghth when faced with the possibility of being snaked again. Then when she finds Jack and it shows how greatful she is that he has not been taken over.

She's done such a wonderful job in these and other episodes, we're just lucky to have her on the show.
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I chose:

*In the Line of Duty -- powerful performance on AT's part.... Another example of how effortlessly she slips from one personality to another, totally believable....the contrasts between Sam and Jolinar are so sharply defined that you could almost believe two different actresses played the roles. AT's scenes at the end with Cassie were especially good showing the grief and numbness that follow a traumatic event....

*The Tok'ra, 1 and 2 -- One of the things I love about Sam is her relationship with Jacob. AT brings so much warmth and depth to their father/daughter scenes that these episodes are two of my favorites. I love the chemistry she and CA have together and I really miss seeing that....

*A Matter of Time -- Although I was never much good with math and science in school, the way AT plays Scientist Sam makes me believe that science is fascinating and fun. She really gets across the fact that Sam passionately loves/is completely at home with science..... (AT seems very comfortable with all that technobabble!)

Comment

I was ready to vote last week, so I came over to the thread but decided to read the replies before voting in case I'd forgotten something. The Out of Mind comments totally threw me off. After finally getting round to watching OoM again, I've decided those comments are really about events of Into the Fire!

So, my votes for most memorable/best AT acting bits were Spirits, The Tok'Ra, In the Line of Duty, and A Matter of Time.

Honourable Mention to Need simply on the strength of the most excellent line-reading of "That looks like a side effect to me."

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                              I was ready to vote last week, so I came over to the thread but decided to read the replies before voting in case I'd forgotten something. The Out of Mind comments totally threw me off. After finally getting round to watching OoM again, I've decided those comments are really about events of Into the Fire!

So, my votes for most memorable/best AT acting bits were Spirits, The Tok'Ra, In the Line of Duty, and A Matter of Time.

Honourable Mention to Need simply on the strength of the most excellent line-reading of "That looks like a side effect to me."
                              Yes. That and "You get dinner?" She really portrays exhaustion believably in that ep.

Comment

Working...
                              X