Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are there shippers and anti-shippers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are there shippers and anti-shippers?

So I was in this convo about the episode 'Threads', SG1 season 8 and it ends up turning in to a major shipper v ant-shipper debate of veiws on the episode that clogged a lot of opinions on the rest of the episode, my question is, why are their shippers and anti-shippers how there are in stargate, with shippers just wanting their characters to get together, and anti-shippers not wanting any characters to get together and finding that any shipiness ruins the show for them.

Now I am a big fan of Buffy and Angel, and one of the key elements to the show is the character relationships, and it's those that make the episodes all the more interesting.

With SG1, a lot of the time it is the relationship of the team that draws people in, but there's no reason other relationships shouldn't come in to it, and we've had them appear for all the members of SG1. The relationships add another dimension to the characters, another motive for their actions, other challenges for them to face.

I have no real preference to any type of ship, I just enjoy watching the journey the characters go through. I know some people prefer the plot-heavy episodes with action and space battles etc, and others prefer the emotional ones, but can someone explain to me why many anti-shippers find the relationship ones ruin stargate for them, and shippers why they are so obsessed about their ship happening and well against a different ship happening?

my opinion is that as long as the writers stay true to the characters, which they have been (especially with the Sam/Jack ship for all you shippers who went them together but it shouldn't happen) and they make the episodes and relationships interesting, which they have done, then whatever they do is fine, and Stargate SG-1 is still a brilliant series to watch each and every week.
    spook

Becuae whenever you have people FOR something you will have people AGAINST something. I think this would be more appropriate in the ship discussion thread rather than starting yet another thread about all of this.

Comment

I see it as boiling down to a very stereotypical response: most women want comfort coming from their characters, so ship makes them feel comfy. Most men want action, so ship takes away from the action (and even I can admit that) so they're anti-ship.

I know there are opposite situations for each gender, but the generalization is probably pretty accurate.

I'm a shipper. Have been from the getgo. But even I can realize that episodes like Chimera and the future Threads take away from any other plot being presented in that episode.

Spoiler in white:
      I'm almost positive that, just like in Chimera, the S/P vs S/J will take away from the Daniel storyline completely. It will be overlooked and ignored, and I don't like it.

Comment

the thing is that it just seems so strange. there was a lot more ship relationship stuff in buffy and angel yet people never got such strong views about any of it, and it just seems so odd, especially since in my opinion they've always kept a pretty good balance.
        spook

Comment

I'd like say for the record that I am a shipper.

Brandie - I agree with your spoiler in white. As much as I love the Sam/Jack story arc, I know that there's a lot more to the show, and I love all of the characters.

I like ship in sci fi, and I have shipped for quite a few couples.

If the members of SG1 had perfect lives, and nothing went wrong in their personal lives, they would be less real. I think ship gives the characters more depth by humanising them more. They have dilemas in their love lives just like the average guy or girl in the street.
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

From:sueKay. I think ship gives the characters more depth by humanising them more.
            Funny, except for Tin Men, the characters seemed pretty human to me without any overt ship for three whole years. Pretty deep, too.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
              Funny, except for Tin Men, the characters seemed pretty human to me without any overt ship for three whole years. Pretty deep, too.
              I'm just saying, that it adds another dimension to their characters. It makes them seem for fallible.
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sshspooky
                the thing is that it just seems so strange. there was a lot more ship relationship stuff in buffy and angel yet people never got such strong views about any of it, and it just seems so odd, especially since in my opinion they've always kept a pretty good balance.

first, I'd say views got pretty strong on Buffy. I DESPISE Buffy/Spike ship and never liked Riley...but I loved Buffy/Angel. Second, for a show like Buffy nothing was as drawn out or subtle as Sam and Jack have been. Sam and Jack are not clearly defined; they're not togwether, but theres SOMETHING going on.

And I'm a shipper, but I certainly want more than just ship...I love all the characters and relationships...i just really like this particular one. I don't like when the characters personal lives take over the show though...until this Chimera fiasco, I only wanted sublte ship, and a RL kiss, fishing invite accepted and the like...

some people don't like ship for various reasons...I like it cause it makes the characters more beleivable to me and see the chemistry between the characters.

"I think that, to some degree, all of us are fractured souls. Cut in half. And we wander through life looking for the rest of ourselves. And sometimes we're fortunate enough to meet someone who possesses, in themselves, the part of ourselves that we've been missing. We may not realize it on a conscious level, but definitely on a subconscious level. We see in someone else... something of ourselves. Thats why sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately feel comfortable with them. You feel like you've known them all your life. The reason is that they're a part of you, and you're a part of them. You're soul mates. you... fit. And once you've fit together, nothing can pull you apart unless you let go."
                ~Imzadi
                describes Sam and Jack pretty well to me!

<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs>
                Screw the regs! DOWN with ! He's no threat to O'Neill! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

Comment

here is the ship discussion thread.

please feel free to continue your discussions there

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=88
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X