What is the Doctor's Real Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheAncient1
    In the Armageddon Factor, the other Time Lord called him "Theta Sigma".

any ideas?
    Perhaps that IS his name
    sigpic
    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

No it was a nick name, Thinking about he is the Doctor nothing else says it better
      Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I think he's called Tom Baker.

Comment

Themoniastoris Doctorianaz, but he shortened it.

Comment

Zachary.
            Thanks!
            Jordan

my page
            My LJ
            From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I really only registered just so I could post to this thread (I've been reading for a couple of days, though). I swear that during a 5th Doctor episode an old classmate of the Doctor's called him "Pete." The Doctor then told the guy to stop calling him "Pete" and to please call him "Doctor." They were in a dungeon (what else is new?) and this other guy was a total loser and hadn't really made Time Lord status, although he was Gallifreyan. Er, the Master may have been somewhere in there but I could just be making that part up. I remember the name because I thought it was funny that the Doctor's name was "Pete" and he was played by a "Peter."

Does anyone else remember this episode at all? I'm on the fence regarding whether or not "Pete" is actually the Doctor's name or if the guy was just randomly calling him that. At any rate, the Doctor seemed a bit irritated by the name.

AyanEva

Comment

There was a Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) story called The Armageddon Factor (Season 16) in which the Doctor gets temporarily trapped in a dungeon/cave with Drax, an old classmate from Gallifrey.

Drax called him Thete, short for Theta Sigma, a nickname he used in school.

The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) also referred to this nickname in The Happiness Patrol (Season 25).

The Master was not in The Armageddon Factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                  There was a Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) story called The Armageddon Factor (Season 16) in which the Doctor gets temporarily trapped in a dungeon/cave with Drax, an old classmate from Gallifrey.

Drax called him Thete, short for Theta Sigma, a nickname he used in school.

The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) also referred to this nickname in The Happiness Patrol (Season 25).

The Master was not in The Armageddon Factor.
                  *sits in confusion and wonders just how many episodes she's managed to mix up and jumble into one screwed up memory* Wow, I'm talented.

"Thete" would make much more sense than "Pete"- the "Pete" thing totally had me confused and I couldn't figure out where people were getting "Thete" from. Well, at least I correctly remembered the classmate bit! I'll blame the rest of it on the fact that I was about 12-14 when I last watched that episode.

Thanks for the explanation, the whole name thing is making a bit more sense now. As atonement for my idiocy, here's some fun stuff to mull over:

Theta

Sigma

Who knows if it means anything but it's fun to ponder.

*goes back to lurking*

AyanEva

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseid
                    ...Of course, we can't forget the fact that he was called 'Doctor Who' in "The War Machines".
                    Got to love Martin Clunes for screwing that up :-p

Comment

Originally posted by AyanEva
                      *sits in confusion and wonders just how many episodes she's managed to mix up and jumble into one screwed up memory* Wow, I'm talented.

"Thete" would make much more sense than "Pete"- the "Pete" thing totally had me confused and I couldn't figure out where people were getting "Thete" from. Well, at least I correctly remembered the classmate bit! I'll blame the rest of it on the fact that I was about 12-14 when I last watched that episode.

Thanks for the explanation, the whole name thing is making a bit more sense now. As atonement for my idiocy, here's some fun stuff to mull over:
                      Don't be so hard on yourself.
                      Don't worry...we won't penalize you or anything for not remembering.

Besides, the good news is that The Armageddon Factor is out on DVD individually or as part of the Key to Time boxset.

Feel free to come out of lurkdom anytime.
                      And you can PM me any questions about Doctor Who that you'd like.
                      I don't mind answering questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak
                        I reckon he's called Jack - heroes are always called Jack...
                        Specifically, most male hero characters have a name starting with 'J'. Off the top of my head I can think of James Bond, Jack Sparrow, Jack Bauer, John Sheppard, James T. Kirk, Jean-Luc Picard, Jason Bourne, Jack O'Neill, Jayne Cobb, John MaClaine...

As for the Doctor's name...I keep coming back to that line in Girl in the Fireplace:

REINETTE: Doctor... Doctor who? It's more than just a secret, isn't it?

When asked about this line, the episode's writer Stephen Moffat said that he believes the Doctor's real name is associated with some deep, dark secret from his past, which is why he doesn't tell it to even his closest Companions.

That got me thinking. We know that eons ago the Doctor left Gallifrey in a 'borrowed' TARDIS to travel the universe in much the manner that he does now, doing good and fighting evil. He was considered a renegade amongst the Time Lords, but that worked to everyone's advantage since the Doctor could perform the occasional task for them as a NOC and in return the Time Lords would (for the most part) turn a somewhat blind eye to the Doctor's activities.

There were a few other Time Lord renegades running around the Universe, but the most well-known (besides the Doctor) is the Master. The Master wanted to rule the Universe and crush the Doctor, his hated enemy, as well as the Time Lords.

What if... what if the Doctor is the Master? We know that during a Time Lord's regenatation they can develop amnesia, like what happened in the Doctor Who telemovie in 1996. What if the Master went through a regeneration and developed permenant amnesia and, as a result, a more benevolant personality? What if he learned of the things that he'd done and, with his new outlook on life, was horrified and mortified by it? What if he resolved to try and make right as much as he could within to Universe to atone for all the things that he'd done, and began by getting rid of his name and original title and instead adopting a title that would convey his newfound purpose of healing both the universe and his own sins? And what if the reason that he mostly avoids Gallifrey is because he doesn't want to chance anyone figuring out his true identity and having him punished?

No?

Ah well, it was just a theory.

Comment

Good with the exception of the following facts:

The Doctor and Master attending college together.

The Master got sucked into the Eye of Harmony.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

An excellent story on the Doctor's background is Lungbarrow . And yes it finally gives his name and a few more nick-names (probably non-canonical but the closest one to it).

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                              The Master got sucked into the Eye of Harmony.
                              Didn't he just get sucked into the Eye's relay on the TARDIS?

Comment

Originally posted by wraithdude
                                i vote his name is bill
                                nooo way bill is soo much better lol. I never think we will ever know his real name.

--Gaz--

Comment

Working...
                                X