What is the Doctor's Real Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the Doctor's Real Name?

We all know he must have an original name. So far he has been called, Doctor, Grandfather, and Professor. He has even been called "idiot" in Kinda. In the Armageddon Factor, the other Time Lord called him "Theta Sigma".

any ideas?

It has been proposed that the Doctor's real name is actually a string of Mathematical and Greek symbols. Theta-Sigma would be a shortening of his full name, just as Romana is merely a shortening. It is also proposed that "Who" could be the phonetic pronuncination of the first part of his name, who would explain the question mark on the outfit for the 4th-7th Doctor. Of course the latter is far less likely.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

i vote his name is bill

Comment

In "Tooth and Claw" the Doctor identifies himself as "Dr. James McCrimmon" which, as most of us know, is Jamie from the 2nd Doctor. He also uses John Smith quite often. Madame de Pompudor from "Girl in the Fireplace" reads the Doctors mind and says something like, "your name is more than a secret".

Comment

The doctor has referred to himself as being "more than just a timelord" during Sylvestor McCoy's tenure. It has been suggested in the novels that the Doctor actually is in his THIRD set of regenerations, and was originally known as "The Other" and was the third in the group of Rassilon and Omega.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

In the commentary for "The Girl in the Fireplace" Noel Clarke said he thinks it's Curtis.
            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I thought at one point in historic-classic time, "the Doctor" said his name wasn't easy for humans to pronounce... So, he's always been known on earth as "the Doctor".

As he told the male secretary in the "Boom Town" episode, Margaret {another alien human in disguise} would remember him as "the Doctor".
              ..."just the Doctor"... she'll know who he is...

...yes, there was speculation that Colin Baker's question marks on his collar eluded to the Doctor's *true* identity.
              from my knowledge, and that includes all of the DrWho magazines I had scoured thru at the time... never did find out what it meant... I wonder if Colin had not been so abruptly removed from the role, if we'd ever find out the real answer...

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa
                I thought at one point in historic-classic time, "the Doctor" said his name wasn't easy for humans to pronounce... So, he's always been known on earth as "the Doctor".

As he told the male secretary in the "Boom Town" episode, Margaret {another alien human in disguise} would remember him as "the Doctor".
                ..."just the Doctor"... she'll know who he is...

...yes, there was speculation that Colin Baker's question marks on his collar eluded to the Doctor's *true* identity.
                from my knowledge, and that includes all of the DrWho magazines I had scoured thru at the time... never did find out what it meant... I wonder if Colin had not been so abruptly removed from the role, if we'd ever find out the real answer...
                Close, but a little off. The question marks were on Tom Bakers collar from "The Leisure Hive" onwards, and they subsequently apeared in the same place on the 5th and 6th Doctor. McCoy had them all over his jumper and as the handle for his umbrella. As I previously mentioned, The Doctor hinted to Davros that he was more than just a time lord. It was in fact McCoy's tenure that was supposed to run with the whole "Who is the doctor *really*?" sort of thing. Of course it was cancelled, and now we will never know. I am however in favour of his name being a string of Greek letters and mathematical symbols, the first two being Theta and Sigma. Bearing in mind the Doctor's calling card also bears a question mark and lots of these symbols:

Whether in Gallifreyan pronunciation the beginning is read as "Who" is unknown. It's possible, which would mean the Doctor's question marks on his clothes were more him being ironic than anything else... but i rather hope not.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

...Of course, we can't forget the fact that he was called 'Doctor Who' in "The War Machines".

Of course, that was just a mistake.....

I always theorized that the question marks on his lapel was more of a family crest then anything else. Kind of like the big 'S' on Superman's chest...

...just something I've kicked around over the years...
                  My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
                  Build a Dalek
                  Build a TARDIS
                  Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
                  The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

Some interesting theories areound here. I like them. Eveen though I ken about the Doc being called Theat Sigma and the Other before. What about Time's Champion ??
                    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Mr. Spock.

really, it's one of the mysteries of the show, and why we keep watching
                      Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Very cool theories and ideas, and some trivia from old eps. Unfortunately I don't think it's ever going to be revealed, because it's a fundemental aspect of the show, more than just being the title, it seems to be part of the mystery and intrigue of the show. If we did ever find out, it would be lost, and a very important part of the show would be gone. Same with Baltar and the Number Six in BSG, if we ever found out what she really was, it would be a let down.

The intrigue of a question is often far more satisfying than the answer - ME, JUST NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobing
                          The intrigue of a question is often far more satisfying than the answer - ME, JUST NOW.

Very true! My mother and I love discussing who the Doctor truly is. It's her oppinion that he is either Rassilon or some kind of descendent. Either way I think he is more than just a regular Time Lord. We may never know. ^_^ That's what makes it so fun!

Incidently, Jamie was the one who first came up with calling him John Smith. In Wheel in Space the Doctor is unconcious when they arrive. When they ask his name, Jamie says the first thing he can think of...Dr. John Smith! Just a fun fact for everyone.
                          "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

I reckon he's called Jack - heroes are always called Jack...

Comment

He does seem to suit a Jack actually, whoever is playing him.

Comment

Working...
                              X