This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Life Zat!

I read in the news today that the pentagon is sponsoring an expirement for the development of an energy-based weapon that can paralyze a target, and hopefully in the future also disable computers, missiles, etc. Here's the link if you want to read the article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...energy_weapons

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I posted this story in the Stargate News section last night. Unfortunately, we don't get lollipops or anything for starting threads...darn! Someone has also posted a paper from a tactical weapons site.
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Ah, but the real question is...will it look like a zat? Still this is very cool, and I've always liked non-lethal weapons.

However, that "Active Denial System" [which uses microwaves, I think it says] seems to me like something that shouldn't be used. Paralyzing would be far more effective than causing immense pain, I think...
      Old McNeill had a base, SG SG-1. And on that base he had a Ba'al, SG SG-1. With a Ba'al, Ba'al here and a Ba'al, Ba'al there, here a Ba'al there a Ba'al, everywhere a Ba'al Ba'al. Old McNeill had a base, SG SG-1!
      [Don't ask. Please.]

Comment

I thought we got cookies!!! I was looking forward to some chocolate chip ones!!!
        Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
        O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
        O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Cookies?

Comment

Originally posted by Universal Nexus
            Ah, but the real question is...will it look like a zat? Still this is very cool, and I've always liked non-lethal weapons.
            Would that not be incredibly awesome?
            sigpic

Comment

yeah... but will it disintegrate like the zat does?
              The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

I think the gov't will have to buy the "designs" (looks) of the zat, but it would be pretty cool.
                O'Neill: Right, Carter you can fix it right?
                Carter: Uh, I don't know sir...
                O'Neill: What?!!??
                -From Red Sky

Comment

If the new "stun gun" looks like a zat, I will offer to be a test subject!
                  Rocky

Comment

I have been tracking the HSV Tchnologies version, the one that can paralize as well as stun and kill and destroy electronics, since about the fall of 2000. I was going to include it in the earth vs gould tech thread but I guess someone else just could not wait for the cookie.

http://www.hsvt.org/

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...322588,00.html. ...

The HSV link is dated, by a few years, but has a good FAQ section that explains how it works and adresses safty concerns. But if just want a quicky explanation here goes:

The device fires a pair of UV beams that each ionize a path in the air. The ionized air paths act as a conducters, esentulay virtual wires. AC curent goes up an ionized air path then down then other revurses polairity and reapeats. Both beams have to hit the person for it to work. A person touching someone that is being hit by the beams will not be affected by them. At one power level and frequncy the the beams only cause paralysis while the beams are on the subject. At a higher power level and at a different frequncy it stuns a person just like a taser except it wireless and its a repeater. At even higher power levels it can destroy electronics, of course at that power level a hit to a person would be lethal.

Note eve though the the UV lasers themselves are invisible the inonization of the air path is visible. It produces a green glow like those Radio Shack plasma balls.

I think they will go with a more practical shape. Law enforcement and millitary tend to be a bit picky about their weapons being practical and having a sighting system. Now on the consunmer market however...

However, that "Active Denial System" [which uses microwaves, I think it says] seems to me like something that shouldn't be used. Paralyzing would be far more effective than causing immense pain, I think...
                    It depends on the role you intend it for and the strengths and weakneeses of each system. The HSV weapon (I am going to it as an ionizer from now on just to save key strokes) is rather limited as a crowd control weapon because it can only effect one person at a time. You can not prarlize a hostile crowd with it, just individuals in a crowd. Once you take the beam off one person to stop the next the last person will be free to move. Even if the ionizer were set to stun it would still not practical with a large hostile mob.

First, it can sometimes take upto 2 to 3 seconds of continous exposer from a stun gun to stun a person.

Second, someone being stunned does not stay incapcitated for very long.

Third, since it is made to be a man portable weapon it would probly run out of power after a few shots.

The active-denial system is however suited for crowd control. It can effect a wide area and all the people in that area. It is to be mounted weapon and draws its power from the vehical's electrical system so it can be fired for long periods of time. How long and how much pain the individuals in the crowd feel is entirely up to them as they are free to walk or run out of the beam.

Besides crowd control the other intended use is to act as a virtual nonlethal electric fence. Set up paths of beams of where you do not want people to go. A good read on the subject can be found here:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/pain-beam.htm

Comment

Whoa!
                      Rocky

Comment

One shot stuns, two shots kills, three shots disintegrates? I suspect it will be not so lethal.
                        Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                        more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                          Cookies?
                          mmmmmmm coookies

Comment

I'll take one. Great way to keep annoying parents and brother away!

Comment

This weapon is probably going to be more like the stun setting on a phaser from star trek, rather than a zat
                              Originally posted by G.B Shaw
                              Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
                              Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
                              Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.
                              You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
                              Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
                              One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
                              You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
                              The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.
                              www.7-scales.co.uk
                              http://twitter.com/7Scales

Comment

Working...
                              X