Antarctica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antarctica

So the guys are in Antarctica huh, well that could be true. That would explain the polar bear.
    When I first saw the statue with the four toes my first thought was Aliens. But I looked into it and there's an Atlantian tale about a great statue with four toes. Each one representing the four great kingdoms at the time.
    Plus there is a story about an Atlantian weapon of mass destruction some sort of energy blast. That could be whats under the Hatch.
    (I'm just going by what i've heard over the years on the history channel.)

Maybe the OTHERS are decendence of the Atlantians and so is Walt. I dont think Michael is his Real father.

When Desmond said he couldn't sail away cause its like a damn snow globe. I think he ment it literally. The Island gives of some sort of force shield.

I personaly would love if they did go the Alien direction. This is some test their doing on the human race. but come on this is ABC. If it were airing on the Sci-Fi they probrably would do it.
    What are your guys theories.

I'm going to re-watch the eps. i know i'll see something I didn't noticed before IE people.
    Last edited by Lee-Machine; 25 May 2006, 12:41 PM.

I doubt it's aliens. That was one of the theories the writers flat out debunked along with pergatory and hallucinations. It could very well be Atlantis. The statue was a given. Atlantians were said to hold a power source in the core of their "city". They are also semi advanced in all the myths (the "complete" statue would have been huge).

Myth also states the city sunk, killing the inhabitants that were on it.

IMO, the city eventually reemerged sometime a couple centuries ago, explaining how the Black Rock managed to get that far inland. No Tsunami did that.

I also don't think that the island has any type of force field. Just that magnets play haywire with compasses (Sayid & Locke showed this), explaining why Desmond followed a straight line on his compass and ended up turning around without knowing it. This has been known to happen on many occasions.

As for The Others, I doubt they have any relation to the original inhabitants (maybe Adam & Eve in the caves do), but they are definitely more important somehow. I also believe that when Henry said they were the good guys, he way saying there is another group of others on the island. Perhapes the others who had stolen the tail members.

These fake others were pretending to be native for a reason, and I think it's because they wanted to fool the rest into thinking they were the same people.
    Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

an alien take would be LAAAAMMMMMEEEEE

Comment

A greek statue with four toes i dont know i never heard of a statue (greek or atlantian) with four toes. And the only statue in Atlantis as far as i know was off Poseidon.

I am your father
        Noooo

Comment

But...there are no polar bears in the Antarctic...

Anyway.

Given the probable geographic location of the Island, I would say we're not looking at Atlantis, but Lemuria, the speculated lost continent of the South Pacific, somewhere between Malaysia and Australia. Most speculative fiction stories speak of the Lemurians being strange and alien, in both culture and physical appearance (some say they had blue skin, the mythical "fifth race" of turn-of-the-century mystics), so maybe they had four toes too.
          Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
          I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
          What have these years left to me?
          Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy
            But...there are no polar bears in the Antarctic...
            wow i totally missed that, green for you
            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I got some of this from Wikipedia. Lumaria has a couple a theories around it, many being wildly different from the rest. One is that the people of this continent were sexually hermaphroditical, mentally undeveloped and much more spiritual that the current race of humans.

Some Lemurians even turned to bestiality. The gods, aghast at the behavior of these "mindless" men, sank Lemuria into the ocean and created a "Fourth Root Race"—endowed with intellect—on Atlantis

Another is that the people of Lumeria never lived on the surface. They had complex tunnels in the mountains, and were occasionally seen on the surface wearing white robes.

The last main myth around the island is that they were reptilian in nature. Thermonuclearboy explained this one. They were different than humans in appearance. In this myth is was "black magic" that eventually brought the island down.

Both Atlantis and Lumeria are still unproven myths, but Lumeria is commonly referred as the one most unlikely to be true.
              Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

(Caution: Extreme Geekiness Ahead)

Lemuria is a bit trickier than Atlantis. The myth of Atlantis may have been based on an actual historical event: the destruction of Santorini, a volcanic island in the Mediterranean, whose volcano erupted circa 1500 BC with enough force to nearly obliterate the island and sent a cloud of ash into the air so large and thick that it could be seen for hundreds of miles (unconfirmed reports of a general "darkening of the sky" as far east as China).

On the other hand, the very existence of Lemuria is purely theoretical. To reconcile the presence of identical ancient lemur fossils in both India and Madagascar, 19th century naturalists postulated a lost landmass - Lemuria - that spanned what is now the Indian Ocean. However, this was before scientists understood plate tectonics. The fact that the continents actually move over time - which would explain the presence of common fossil remains in parts of the world now separated by great distances - was unknown then, but once that was discovered, the Lemuria theory became irrelevant.

...or so they would LIKE us to think...
                Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                What have these years left to me?
                Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

dont trust wikipedia, anyone can post on their. and the editors arent much better, a 14 year old freshman in my class is an editor.
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

sorry, but there is a game called Golden sun, and all the names of Golden sun, are Fictional and fact too.

sorry, i wanted to say that.

Name: Issac Matthews
                    Team: SG-3(Marines)
                    click for biography

Comment

I have a few problems/queries to 'If this island is actually resident in a sub-zero climate':

- is it possible for an average passenger jet to survive those kind of climate conditions to get from the hostile ant/arctic weather to the tropical island one?

-would the passengers not have noticed their detor to Ant/arctica ?

-if desmond really did get lost on his sailing voyage, why o why, would want to go into such ridiculous conditions?

Apologies if this has been covered, or if other lost eps have answered this... but it is bothering me
                      It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz!
                        I have a few problems/queries to 'If this island is actually resident in a sub-zero climate':

- is it possible for an average passenger jet to survive those kind of climate conditions to get from the hostile ant/arctic weather to the tropical island one?

-would the passengers not have noticed their detor to Ant/arctica ?

-if desmond really did get lost on his sailing voyage, why o why, would want to go into such ridiculous conditions?

Apologies if this has been covered, or if other lost eps have answered this... but it is bothering me
                        1.) Yes, it does.

2.) Yes, they probably would have. At least when the plane was going down.

3.) People sail to Antarctica all the time.
                        Support Cascadia!

Join United States Government Simulation!

Comment

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy
                          (Caution: Extreme Geekiness Ahead)

Lemuria is a bit trickier than Atlantis. The myth of Atlantis may have been based on an actual historical event: the destruction of Santorini, a volcanic island in the Mediterranean, whose volcano erupted circa 1500 BC with enough force to nearly obliterate the island and sent a cloud of ash into the air so large and thick that it could be seen for hundreds of miles (unconfirmed reports of a general "darkening of the sky" as far east as China).

On the other hand, the very existence of Lemuria is purely theoretical. To reconcile the presence of identical ancient lemur fossils in both India and Madagascar, 19th century naturalists postulated a lost landmass - Lemuria - that spanned what is now the Indian Ocean. However, this was before scientists understood plate tectonics. The fact that the continents actually move over time - which would explain the presence of common fossil remains in parts of the world now separated by great distances - was unknown then, but once that was discovered, the Lemuria theory became irrelevant.

...or so they would LIKE us to think...
                          Exactly what I was going to say. Atlantis is just an overblown myth. The original doesn't even get to the destruction of Atlantis.
                          Support Cascadia!

Join United States Government Simulation!

Comment

I thought the polar bear mystery was sought of sovle when we found out that one darma research areas zoological they told us this in the film, found down the hatch, from then on I just thought the darma inituitive just capture the animal in the wild and bought it to the island for one of their research projects.

Comment

What If the island is a section of Antarctica or something? On the driveshaft website it said: 'We cant believe its already been a year since flight 815 was lost' or something like that. So what if the island is Antarctica in the past or the future? The mountains in the antarctic scene looked similar to the islands mountains (except for the fact they were frozen) So what if when Desmond didnt push the button, it created a temporal anomaly or something and threw flight 815 into the past or the future? I mean assuming there in the 21st century a satellite or a plane would find them right?

They just need to fix the flux capacitor!

Comment

Working...
                              X