Clear All

Catch 22 (221)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Two
    "Catch 22"

"Catch 22"
    Ep: 2.21
    Release Date: May 25th 2006
    Written by Mike Coakley

When an Enoly Cruiser falls out of the sky, Horizon-1 and Horizon-3 begin to explore the benefits of such a find. Their explorations are cut short when a sinister enemy arrives and presents Callen with an impossible decision.
    Outstanding
    37.50%
    Good
    50.00%
    Fair
    0.00%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    12.50%

The poll is expired.

Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

This episode will be out in less than 24 hours, so the thread is open for discussion and/or speculations.

The countdown is on. Only four more episodes to go this season, and with this episode the finale arc will be kicking off.

Please note the slightly revised release dates. After "Catch 22" we'll be going on a brief two week break, during which we'll be releasing some special features. Then, new episodes will resume on June 15th, leading up to the season finale on June 29th, just two weeks before new episodes of SG-1 and SGA will kick off on the sci-fi channel in the US.

Comment

Good news! If everything goes well, the episode (as well as the two previous episodes) will be available on the website later today. The technical problem has been fixed.

For now, to ensure you won't have to wait too long, I'm putting it up on the temporary link. I'll take it down, once it's on the site.

Until it's up, you can download it right here!

Enjoy!

Comment

So They have now have a enoly cruiser in their hands and will they be able to repair so it could be used to help defend the station. Sounds like this is the Horizon's "Orion" or "Aurora" basically. hey so whats the name of this enoly cruiser or is Grant or Chase going to be the one who gives it the name?

Comment

All in all, a very good episode. Loral's motives are kept somewhat mysterious, which I like. Lenori is MIA. Cool, you're not afraid of doing that to your main characters. Somewhat upset we didn't get to see what the project was, but I'm pretty certain that it involves the cloning or genetic engineering of a Tok'ra queen in order to carry on their race.
          I'm going to get off my lazy butt at some point and write a review for this, and other episodes, but for now, I might as well say it:
          Overall: ***1/2

Comment

This episode was bit slow. But i did generally enjoy it. I like the way that we never found out the enoly true motives were until the last act. And the fact that we got the enoly cruiser in procesion is actaully quite good and I am glad that it was not destroy in the episode and please tell me that it going to be use in a future episode.

I was quite surprise that you killed of the entire horizon 2 team off and just as you were really just started to introduce them in the series and have not been around that long, I thought you could of at lease left one of them alive at the end.

I must admit that it seem every episode so far have mention about the issues tom has with his family and it starting to get a bit repetitive now and I would even like you to resolve these issues or leave them alone for a couple of episodes,instead of them bring bought up every single episode for the past several weeks.

Also I am starting to wonder what vessels the tok'ra have because they seem to be war vessels or at armed well enough to be usefull but all I remember them having in the tv series is them having cargo vessels which are unarmed and I cannot remember you telling us any different, so I would like a bit of explanation their.

I was a bit disappointed that you did not tell us more about this tok'ra project, not even a tiny hint of what it could be about.

Well that all I think all at the moment, but overall this was a good episode.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll respond to all of them, and more will be revealed in "The Making Of" that will be released next week:

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
              All in all, a very good episode. Loral's motives are kept somewhat mysterious, which I like. Lenori is MIA. Cool, you're not afraid of doing that to your main characters. Somewhat upset we didn't get to see what the project was, but I'm pretty certain that it involves the cloning or genetic engineering of a Tok'ra queen in order to carry on their race.
              I'm going to get off my lazy butt at some point and write a review for this, and other episodes, but for now, I might as well say it:
              Overall: ***1/2
              I'm glad you liked it, and as usual I'll say that I do like reading comments on the episodes, especially ones I wrote. We did want to have considerable loss at the end of the episode, so after a few drafts and seeing that a rescue wouldn't work in the time we had, we thought it better overall to have Lenori captured and go MIA. Paired with Horizon-3's demise, I hope it came as a surprise.

I look forward to the interviews, but I can wait until you get the time. They're good reads.

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
              So They have now have a enoly cruiser in their hands and will they be able to repair so it could be used to help defend the station. Sounds like this is the Horizon's "Orion" or "Aurora" basically. hey so whats the name of this enoly cruiser or is Grant or Chase going to be the one who gives it the name?
              Originally posted by knowles2
              This episode was bit slow. But i did generally enjoy it. I like the way that we never found out the enoly true motives were until the last act. And the fact that we got the enoly cruiser in procesion is actaully quite good and I am glad that it was not destroy in the episode and please tell me that it going to be use in a future episode.
              I'm glad you liked it for the most part. As for the Enoly cruiser, I'm not sure we ever even considered giving it a name. Of course, we could easily give it a name in the later episode in which it is used. That means: Yes, the cruiser will be put into action before the end of the season. And that really leaves only three episodes. Perhaps, if you or anyone else have name suggestions, we could consider a little reference to a possible name later on.

I was quite surprise that you killed of the entire horizon 2 team off and just as you were really just started to introduce them in the series and have not been around that long, I thought you could of at lease left one of them alive at the end.
              Horizon-3, actually, but I get the idea. Really, we knew Beaumont quite well. He was a member of Horizon-2 early on in the first season and later got his own team: Horizon-3. True, we didn't know the rest of the team too well, but they were basically redshirts. The original plan was not to kill Beaumont, but to actually develop him throughout the episode. We decided this would be the best way out though, and I think the fact that there is such loss reemphasizes the fact that this is indeed a catch 22, no-win situation. We hope to develop the Horizon-2 commander a bit more (when we meet him, that is). As for Horizon-3, I suppose they'll have to formulate a new one.

I admit that it seem every episode so far have mention about the issues tom has with his family and it starting to get a bit repetitive now and I would even like you to resolve these issues or leave them alone for a couple of episodes,instead of them bring bought up every single episode for the past several weeks.
              I assume by Tom you mean David, and indeed his family issues have been brought front and center for a while. I don't really think they were focused on every week, not since "Amazing Grace." Perhaps a few other mentions here and there this season as well. Regardless, the focus on the issues with his family is building up to something. I can't say much more without spoiling something, but we're not just mentioning it in several episodes without a plan. Stay tuned.

Also I am starting to wonder what vessels the tok'ra have because they seem to be war vessels or at armed well enough to be usefull but all I remember them having in the tv series is them having cargo vessels which are unarmed and I cannot remember you telling us any different, so I would like a bit of explanation their.
              Yeah, there seemed to be a lot of Tok'ra cargo vessels on SG-1, but we're working under the assumption that most space-faring races have some sort of defense ships just in case. If not, then we'll just say they've created some since then. The beauty of working in a future timeline.

Once again, I'm glad you liked it, and rest assured that most of your concerns and questions will be addressed in upcoming episodes. Thanks for the comments.
              Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
              Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
              Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
              Stargate Destiny, Fan
              Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

And the fact that we got the enoly cruiser in procesion is actaully quite good and I am glad that it was not destroy in the episode and please tell me that it going to be use in a future episode.
                Hmm. It's possible.

Yeah, what we really like to do is keep things unpredictable. And with Beaumont, who has been around since episode 1.04, I think that his death should have had at least a bit of an emotional impact. Of course, in a way it also makes room for the introduction of the Vorian team leader of Horizon-2.

I must admit that it seem every episode so far have mention about the issues tom has with his family and it starting to get a bit repetitive now and I would even like you to resolve these issues or leave them alone for a couple of episodes,instead of them bring bought up every single episode for the past several weeks.
                Hmm. Not sure if you've really been reading all of the recent episodes. Because David's marriage issues haven't been mentioned in any episode at all ever since "Amazing Grace", which was episode 2.17. And before that, it hadn't been dealt with to such great lengths at all.

It's an ongoing plotline for David's character, and you can expect a huge development with that regard in the very near future. Perhaps before the season ends.

In "Troika" it was mentioned that they still have merely Goa'uld Cargo Ships. However, we can assume that they've been able to improve them a bit when it comes to weapons.

I was a bit disappointed that you did not tell us more about this tok'ra project, not even a tiny hint of what it could be about.
                Sorry about that. But the Tok'ra would really like to keep this to themselves for a little while longer. I'm sure eventually we might find out something about it, in one way or the other.

I'm glad you liked it.

Comment

Isn't it funny when two people respond with similar replies at the same time, without knowing about it?

By the way, did anyone notice Loral's line where she says something about the human galaxy soon facing its new masters, and that they have no idea what is headed their way? And that it's already begun. I wonder what she could have meant by that.

Comment

*coughPREEMPTIVESTRIKEcough*

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1
                      I look forward to the interviews, but I can wait until you get the time. They're good reads.
                      Well, I'll be honest with you, it has nothing to do with time at this point, I'm just slacking off. But as for interviews, though... funny you should mention that. And Alex, it sort of works for me that you weren't around at 9, neither was I.

Comment

I actually meant reviews, typo on my part, but interviews work too. As an accomplished procrastinator, I can see where you're coming from.
                        Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

Well, Mikes best episode yet IMHO. I'd been looking forward to this one, even though I had no idea what it would be like. The episode was a bit twisting and turny with no predictablity - which is good obviously. Although, I did find the thing with the Tok'ra ships confusing since as far as we knew, they only had Cargo ships, which are usually unarmed.

It's interesting to see how the events in Amazing Grace have changed David, as he seems a lot more talkative and playful recently. I was surprised you'd decided to kill Beaumont as you have spent a fair bit of time developing him this last season. Interesting you killed off his entire team too, but it shows that the season is going to end in a darker situation. Lol, Alex remember that vague story idea I had? "These Dark Days"? Seems appriate now. Lol.

And well, wow. Lennys been kidnapped. Makes a change from Thor I suppose lol.

All in all, it was an interesting episode that wasn't at all predictable. But, now we've got our own Enoly cruiser to add to the Earth, Vorian and Jaffa ships that show up soon. Hope the season goes out with a bang.
                          Last edited by Elite Anubis Guard; 27 May 2006, 05:55 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Well, Mikes best episode yet IMHO. I'd been looking forward to this one, even though I had no idea what it would be like. The episode was a bit twisting and turny with no predictablity - which is good obviously.
                            That's great to hear. After we came back to it after shelving it, I wanted to make it something special, so I spent more time than usual going over it. Like Alex, I'm very careful in picking favorites, but this and "Amazing Grace" might have been my two favorites of the five I've written this year. Also, Joe reviewed this one early on, and with the changes he and Alex made/suggested along with Vincent's comments and suggestions, I think everyone's influence made the ep what it is.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                            I was surprised you'd decided to kill Beaumont as you have spent a fair bit of time developing him this last season. Interesting you killed off his entire team too, but it shows that the season is going to end in a darker situation. Lol, Alex remember that vague story idea I had? "These Day Darks"? Seems appriate now. Lol.
                            Actually, there's an interesting explanation behind us killing him just as he was developing. There'll be more on this in the upcoming "The Making Of," but when this was written we actually hadn't seen him since "Providence." We decided to go back and integrate him into "Convergence," "Journalist's Day," "Uprising," etc. so that A) We got to get to know him, even if only a little more, before his demise, and B) It didn't seem like we were bringing him back out of no where after 15-some episodes just to kill him.

As for dark times, hopefully "In Times of Despair" will serve to build more onto this dark feeling, as we'll be dealing with another issue that will screw up Horizon even more. Of course, with the Vorian holiday in that episode I do hope that our characters can lighten up for a while.
                            Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

When are we going to get these Making Ofs btw?
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                              X