This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Rodney mckay

Why does he always need food and i mean more then normal people is he just hungry or does he have health problems

from 38 minutes

McKAY: I have less than twenty minutes to save our lives, and I am teetering on the brink of a hypoglycaemic reaction,

i know he is a allergic to lemons
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

It seems to me that McKay is a self-important douchebag with a high metabolism.

Comment

I think you awnsered your own question. Doesn't hypoglycemia mean you have to keep eating food to keep your blood sugar up?

Erm. I found this. I don't know much about the condition but this may help

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pub...emia/index.htm

One of the symtoms was hunger.
      An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Originally posted by Chutzpah
        I think you awnsered your own question. Doesn't hypoglycemia mean you have to keep eating food to keep your blood sugar up?

Erm. I found this. I don't know much about the condition but this may help

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pub...emia/index.htm

One of the symtoms was hunger.
        i always wondered if he really had probelms or was just being annoying

beucase unless i'm wrong he never complained about anything in 48 minutes
        Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 16 May 2006, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Grab yer hardhats, because I'm going to go into a mini-rant about bloodsugar.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EAT 'SUGAR' TO KEEP YOUR BLOODSUGAR UP. THIS IS NONSENSE FROM THE DARK AGES. (Metaphorically.)

Rodney McKay is hypoglycemic, which means that his pancreas release too much insulin in response to an intake of carbohydrates.

When a hypoglycemic eats something with enough high-glycemic carbohydrates (sugars and starches), their body releases way more insulin than is necessary. This results in crashing blood sugar. When the bloodsugar crashes, the victim experiences the following:

-Irritability.
          -Overall shakiness.
          -Weakness.
          -Extreme hunger.
          -A craving for sugar.

What we've been led to believe over the years is that a bloodsugar crash should be immediately 'remedied' with something high in carbohydrates. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH, because the cycle simply starts all over again. Also, the extra sugars end up stored as fat, leading to obesity.

Given enough time, hypoglycemia can and usually does turn to diabetes. (Note: Obesity is not a causing factor in diabetes; it's the other way around.)

The best way to actually control one's bloodsugar is to go low-carbohydrate. If the body isn't flooded with carbohydrates, it never releases the mass amounts of insulin, and hence, the bloodsugar never crashes. You literally win by denying the battle. In this way I've controlled my own hypoglycemia since October of 2003.

Sadly, many doctors are still in the proverbial dark ages when it comes to low bloodsugar, still clinging to beliefs and misobservations that are tantamount to drilling holes in the head to release the demons.

Okay, the rant is over. Back to our regular programming...
          [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
            Grab yer hardhats, because I'm going to go into a mini-rant about bloodsugar.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EAT 'SUGAR' TO KEEP YOUR BLOODSUGAR UP. THIS IS NONSENSE FROM THE DARK AGES. (Metaphorically.)

Rodney McKay is hypoglycemic, which means that his pancreas release too much insulin in response to an intake of carbohydrates.

When a hypoglycemic eats something with enough high-glycemic carbohydrates (sugars and starches), their body releases way more insulin than is necessary. This results in crashing blood sugar. When the bloodsugar crashes, the victim experiences the following:

-Irritability.
            -Overall shakiness.
            -Weakness.
            -Extreme hunger.
            -A craving for sugar.

What we've been led to believe over the years is that a bloodsugar crash should be immediately 'remedied' with something high in carbohydrates. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH, because the cycle simply starts all over again. Also, the extra sugars end up stored as fat, leading to obesity.

Given enough time, hypoglycemia can and usually does turn to diabetes. (Note: Obesity is not a causing factor in diabetes; it's the other way around.)

The best way to actually control one's bloodsugar is to go low-carbohydrate. If the body isn't flooded with carbohydrates, it never releases the mass amounts of insulin, and hence, the bloodsugar never crashes. You literally win by denying the battle. In this way I've controlled my own hypoglycemia since October of 2003.

Sadly, many doctors are still in the proverbial dark ages when it comes to low bloodsugar, still clinging to beliefs and misobservations that are tantamount to drilling holes in the head to release the demons.

Okay, the rant is over. Back to our regular programming...
            i'd give you green for that info but i need to sperad soem around

Comment

My bet is with Rodney is it's more of a psychological stress related eating compounded by some metabolism issues...
              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                My bet is with Rodney is it's more of a psychological stress related eating compounded by some metabolism issues...
                A definite possibility.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I' have to agre with that psychological stress eating. But really if he eats a lot is that a problem or a mystery?

Jeez i eat a lot but well thats because i'm hungry. He may have this condition that Syera said but really he may just eat because he wants to and helps calm him, or help him concentrate.

Not tocause a arguement or out here just my thoughts

Comment

McKay has stated more than once that he's hypoglycemic. I would assume he's telling the truth, as I don't think the word would be a part of his lexicon unless he actually had it. Medicine doesn't interest him; ergo I find it unlikely that he'd be especially familiar with many medical-related terms unless it was actually significant to him.

Part of it could easily be psychological as well. Stressful periods can make pre-existing sugar cravings that much worse.
                    [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

I always thought it was the writers' way of showing he was thinking about himself at times when the other characters wouldn't. I think it's a flaw, but you just love him all the more when he does act selflessly.
                      amytay
                      Fort Ancient, Ohio
                      (It's a real place)

Comment

Ahh Syera shines again. Green'd.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
                          McKay has stated more than once that he's hypoglycemic.
                          Or a self-obsessed egomaniac hypochondriac. He's shown signs of that as well. Whatever the case, I was going to green you for your hypoglycemia rant but it won't let me.
                          sigpic
                          "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                            Or a self-obsessed egomaniac hypochondriac. He's shown signs of that as well.
                            While McKay definitely seems to be a self-obsessed egomaniac, I haven't seen him ever exhibit hypochondria. It seems to me like his complaints are real, but blown totally out of proportion. The only thing I haven't seen him blow up is his low blood sugar attacks. If you've ever suffered from hypoglycemia you'd know what I mean.

Here's a scenario after a blood sugar crashes: You're starving, you know you need to eat but you don't have any ready food. You're in town so you go to a restaurant. The hostess seats you and you crankily tell them 'thank you'. They give you the menu, you sit there and look over it trying to figure out what to eat. You're so hungry and irritable nothing on the menu even sounds good. You finally do pick out something, all the while you're fuming waiting for the server to take your order. The server doesn't come at the exact moment you think they should so you stand up, slam the menu down on the table and storm out the door, generally cursing the staff for their poor service. Or when the server does come you bite off their head for taking so stinkin' long to get to you.

The thing is, there was absolutely nothing wrong with their service or what have you. The negative feelings caused by low blood sugar are so strong that you'd just as soon rip someone's head off as look at them. (Could this possibly be one of the reasons why McKay is so cranky?)

I suffered with this for over 20 years of my life, treating it as recommended--when my sugar crashed I ate sugar to bring it back up (don't get me wrong--I wasn't that irritable all the time, just when I got really, really hungry). The only way to control it is to control my carbohydrate intake. This means NO highly-processed carbohydrates like sugar or white flour. The few sugars I do eat come from non-starchy vegetables and limited low GI (glycemic index--based on how quickly the sugar hits your system) fruits and occasionally a small piece of whole wheat bread.

Comment

I've got a friend who is one of the nicest, politest people you could ever meet...but she's hypoglycemic and it definitely affects her mood a LOT!

I've always taken the fact that Rodney's sugar level's up and down like a yoyo, coupled with having to watch out with his citrus allergy...probably makes him feel a little vulnerable subconsciously...and that's why he's so snarky.
                              sigpic
                              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Working...
                              X