Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Thread: This is the person who should have been invited to Atlantis..

Staff Sergeant

Default Re: This is the person who should have been invited to Atlantis..

i had mixed feelings about her
    she was a good character for a couple eps,

but i'm glad she is not a permanent installment onto any team, when i saw her my first thought (sorry to compare to star trek as so many do) was OMG female westley crusher, man i hated that character.

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

That would be my position on McKay you know... but i'm giving him a chance. He still rates up there as the most annoying character on Atlantis.

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Praxus
    She was so annoying in my opinion. She looks like she is about 12. She is five foot nothing and couldn't beat up a mouse.

I am so glad she isn't on Atlantis.
    Your opinion's fine,no problem if you don't like her,IMO.

There's only one thing though.Looks,as Shadow said ,aren't everything...

Hailey may look like she "couldn't beat up a mouse",but in "Prodigy" she did serious damage to a much taller (male) cadet .

On a lighter note: My sister's about the same height and build as Hailey.
    She looked very nice and fluffy,but nobody in their right mind tried to bully her at school . She didn't fight dirty,but she was mean !
    Last edited by Bagpuss; April 17th, 2005 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Sigh..typos
    Problems accessing the Omnipedia? Click here!

The places to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info :

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    That would be my position on McKay you know... but i'm giving him a chance. He still rates up there as the most annoying character on Atlantis.
    Hey ! I think that's in his job description,so he's not even meant to please everybody !
    Problems accessing the Omnipedia? Click here!

The places to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info :

Default Annoying characters

SPOILERS for 38 Minutes

Personally, I think Kavanaugh is a complete, annoying jackass with no redeemable qualities. And he has a ponytail! Bleah!

I agree with you Maat. I loved when he made fun of himself. If I was in Wier's shoes, I would have said..."Oh, by the way, there was nothing there to begin with!"
    http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RA2.jpg
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Ponytail Boy has an assistent opposite who seemed pretty darn bright (blond woman), why not just space him or dump him in the ocean....

Spoiler Space....

If he's not the one that betrays them to the Wraith in upcoming episodes (and the advanced word it isn't one of the Tayla's people) than my bet is he'll attempt to forment a revolution against Dr. Weir.

Dear Eru, please not Hailey. She was so arrogant and annoying in "Prodigy" that I had to restrain myself from throwing heavy objects at the TV screen.

On the other hand, I had a similar reaction to McKay, but he's much more likeable in Atlantis than he was on SG-1, IMO.
    When the stars align, and the east meets the west...

First Lieutenant

I found Hailey a little annoying in Prodigy...that's what made her such a good character. She really got up my nose with all that nostril flaring she was doing.

But I ended up liking her a *little* more by the end and in Proving Ground, I really liked where they had taken her.

I think she would make a great addition to Atlantis. It would be great to see her develop that unbreakable bond with her team that SG1 has and that we saw developing in Proving Ground. It would also be great to see how she adapts to hostile situations, how she copes with being under pressure and not always knowing the answer and people's lives depending on her 'smarts'. She would very soon realise (as she already was) that it really isn't about who's right.

I could really see this character growing and becoming likable and complex.

But since there can only be one brainy scientist type on the team, I'm afraid my allegiance is still with McKay. He's just sooo brilliant and soooo snarky. And pessimistic too

I've loved McKay every since he called Carter a dumb blonde. I was outraged - in a good way.

Faced with a choice between him and Hailey, I'd pick McKay every time. Which isn't to say they couldn't fit her in somewhere along the line. They could get into an 'i'm smarter than you are' 'no you're not' 'yes i am' 'are not' 'am too' kinda relationship.

That would bring back Hailey's obsession with being right and McKay, being the snarky pessimistic man he is, would love nothing more than to prove her wrong as often as possible.

Actually, I wasn't too fond of Hailey, but I have no good reason as to why. I did always figure we might see her again. Who knows? Maybe she is there already on another SG team? In any case, I don't think her character, in two brief appearances, was developed well enough to make her fit in what has become the Atlantis team. McKay was a better choice.

Oh, and ix-nay on the Stargate90210 business.
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Cool Re: This is the person who should have been invited to Atlantis..

Yea, I liked Hailey too. Mainly because O'neill could appreciate her warrior mentality even though she was a frelling genius. I also appreciated the fact that she was envious of Sam's track record at the academy. But while those 2 may have rubbed each other the wrong way, I think that after a time, in Atlantis, she would have to kill McKay for his obvious shortcomings...... and being such a pianist! (see relevant thread.)
    Last edited by Ancient 1; August 6th, 2004 at 05:02 PM. Reason: system errors

Quote Originally Posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
    AWOL is the more serious charge. Gen.Kerrigan gave her another chance to prove herself after the assault ,but he couldn't have done that if she'd gone AWOL ! (Or at least,not easily ,IMO)
    I can't remember the exact wording of the scenes,but he made it very clear,that if she didn't prove herself to Carter,that she was out of the Academy .
    Even with an AWOL charge the General could have adminstered non-judicial punishment; a mere slap on the wrist compared to a Courts Marshal.

In any event Haley did graduate from the academy or she could never have started her stargate training, which she passed her evaluation in "Proving Ground." She was also probably smart enough to know she passed when they briefed her on her part in the radiation scenerio.

All the members in that training group passed and were to be placed on stargate teams as positions opened up...well here's one that 's open; insert one anal retentant blonde smart_ss kick_ss biotch in Haley! "Was that too much?" President in 'Lost City'
    Last edited by Ancient 1; August 6th, 2004 at 11:35 PM. Reason: addendumb

Chief Master Sergeant Yu Huang Shang Ti's Avatar

I thought Hailey had already gone through it once before, and was on the training team to do Elliot's "real" situation. She said something like "you should've seen what I had to go through," implying she'd been through it before.

As for her characterization in "Prodigy"... I think we were supposed to hate her. That seemed to be the whole point, that she was an uptight b!tch who could grow to be something more if she'd just get her superiority complex in check. "Prodigy" = arrogant, raw cadet Hailey, "Proving Ground" = confident, personable officer-to-be Hailey.

I never cared for Hailey either. I can love an endearing know-it-all (examples: Jonas, Mckay) but there was nothing endearing about her. At all.

Probie

How about Maybourne? If this is the end of SG-1 this season, why not continue with one of my favorite characters? He could help with any spying that needs to be done. And he could shore up the incredibly weak Weir character. I vote for Harry. IMHO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yu Huang Shang Ti
    I thought Hailey had already gone through it once before, and was on the training team to do Elliot's "real" situation. She said something like "you should've seen what I had to go through," implying she'd been through it before.

As for her characterization in "Prodigy"... I think we were supposed to hate her. That seemed to be the whole point, that she was an uptight b!tch who could grow to be something more if she'd just get her superiority complex in check. "Prodigy" = arrogant, raw cadet Hailey, "Proving Ground" = confident, personable officer-to-be Hailey.
    You may be right. At the time I thought she was talking about something else, (like maybe she went through an intense briefing or select training for her part in the scenerio...even as a trainee), but what you say makes better sense. I just assumed she was a trainee because she was put under the command of another wannabe. She did say at one point that it was SG-1's turn for this phase of the training exercise and that "if they got picked it would be by the best"...but that could have just been a part of the whole exercise.

As far as being likeable at first; I tend to like the characters that are set up to be disliked...as long as the actor can pull it off. Kinsey would be a good example. I enjoyed hating him and McKay, although Pete would be my exception to this rule.

I'm starting to get a "fron-ache." I usually try to keep my answers succinct and "pithy," as O'reilly would say, and I had this short reply all thought up and now it's starting to take on a life of its own...getting a bit cruvis...must end reply...for now........ahhhhhh!

Actually, This is who I think should have been cast to spice things up and be the thorn in Sheppard's side.

http://mh.wz.cz/hvezdy/keith/keith1.jpg
    http://www.space-debris.com/and_cobb_head.jpg
    http://felbartlett.org/images/keith.jpg
    http://wlpippi.netfirms.com/keithbaw12.jpg
    ha ha, keith spam!!
    I'll never understand why he cut his hair. Was someone offended by it? nah, that'd be dumb, but he still looks great. You can't take the Roar out of a Lion.

Forget that silly soap he's on, soaps are simply a haven for those bursting with talent. Don't forget RDA used to be on GH. *snicker*

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    Jonas is another natural addition to the A-team.
    JONAS!!

He should have been part of the regular cast I believe. They should have gotten rid of Lt. Ford and has Jonas part of the team. When Shanks came back to SG-1, Nemec should have been able to stay on as a recurring character (like. Dr. Beckett) and the character Jonas should have been able to return home.That way Jonas could have been offered a position on the Atlantis team. And then that way they would have brought an established character, who already had a good following, to the show.

I would have loved to have seen Jonas on SG:A.
    "You ended that sentence with a preposition!!" - Jack O'Niell

My DVD Collection

Does it have to be somebody from the Stargate universe? Because if not, I'd send the Dalai Lama. A civilian, extremely educated and very open to new ideas. Spoiler for "Sanctuary":
    Spoiler:
    Chaya
    would have had a blast with him.

Of course, then he would be missing here on earth. But I think he'd be a great addition. ;-)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../torrisig2.jpg
    In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
    it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
    It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
    And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Chief Master Sergeant teddybearnospaces's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    Westies- I'm guessing West Point cadets/graduates. Big military school here in the US.

Are there really height requirements? My dad said the military liked short people because they fit in subs and jets better. But he could have just been saying that to make me feel better...

I can say that in the Navy, at least, they don't care. I almost joined, once, and I'm only 5'1".
    There is a minimum and maximum height requirement for the military (army, airforce, navy). Because the contract they have for uniforms they can only get uniforms from as small as one standard size to as big as another. So for a guy she would be too short. But since the average height for women is lower than for men the shortest they will accept is different from that of the men. She was of adequate height. For women the cut off is Five foot I think. Might be 5 foot 2 inches.
    "When I started school it was considered a miracle for an ass to talk, now I'm not so sure." ~Anonymous

"I do not agree with what you say, but I defend to my death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

"Like Broadway, the novel, and God, feminism has been declared dead many times" ~Katha Pollit

"I'm a feminist and I don't care who knows it." ~Me