This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off world activation

When someone dials another gate, why do the chevrons light up on the gate your dialing? How does the gate know it's being dialed
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

*insert technobable here*

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

Originally posted by RobJones
      *insert technobable here*
      ah yes, of course

Comment

Good point, when you enter in the first part of the address, the gate on the other end seems to know it's being dialed. However, there must be heaps addresses which share the same first symbol, and and so on.

So do all that gates that have those symbols light up until they are excluded by having, or is there a delay between the dailing on one side and the spinning on the other.

Or of course there is option C... it's just one of those things.
        An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Well if im not mistaken then it goes very fast when an incomming wormhole starts to light up the chevrons so maby the gate waits and when enough symbols are in the gate starts to light up. Remember that not all addresses have a stargate so it limits the search down alot if you have like 6 symbols in already.

Gifts
          -X-
          --------------
          Click Me And Win A Pie!

Comment

I was watching new ground yesterday and each chevron in that lighted up when then one on earth lighted up

Comment

Hmmm.thats a tricky one. In other episodes, that isnt the case(chevrons lighing up at the same time)

Several years ago, i wondered the same thing. There must be some sort of subspace link between the 2 gates.

I think that it is possible that it lights up on multiple worlds...but i think that the scene u saw on new ground may have been a one off...

MOst of the time when i see stargate, i usually notice that it activates on the dialling world before the recipient....

In Stronghold, the gate activated in teh SGC when everyone moved out before the gate activated on baals planet when bratac comes in with the alkesh...
              O'Neil: Sorry, i was just finishing up on a lovely brunch!
              Baal: Impudence
              O'Neil:No, Tuna!

Comment

I could be some sort of fail safe the ancients installed so you didn't get vapourised by the kawoosh, but it still doesn't explain how the gate knows when to light up

Comment

How do you know what the camera is showing you is an accurate depicition of the wake the (albeit fictional) system works?
                  "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

i agree, i was wondering about that. I'd say when you dial a gate it probably takes a micro-second to send a signal across the galaxy and tell the other gate it is being dialled and then that gate dialls each chevron in sequence. Carter could probably explain it better
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, it's sain that nothing can travel faster than the Spped of Light. But wahta about Information? There's that theory that if you had two of the same Atoms in the same degrees of variables, so whatever ahppen to Atom A would happen to Atom B. Therefore if you moved Atom A to the left, Atom B would move to the left.

So, say you had notes pointing to where you wanted to move it to, say Left = Sell it on eBay!, 2,000 lightyears away, Atom B would realise that the guy at Atom B wanted him to sell it on eBay! Inforamtion travels faster thatn the Spped of Lights.

Maybe the Stargates work on a more advanced princible of this?

Comment

I would have to assume that the gates are all recieving the coordinates, but the ones who have that exact sequence at the very end start dialing.(The only reason i believe this is when baal dial's all the gates simultaniously, so all the gates have to be recieving the symbols at the same time with that example)

Comment

Originally posted by stargateanubis14
                          I would have to assume that the gates are all recieving the coordinates, but the ones who have that exact sequence at the very end start dialing.(The only reason i believe this is when baal dial's all the gates simultaniously, so all the gates have to be recieving the symbols at the same time with that example)
                          a 5 letter word describes how it works...............MAGIC
                          Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                          Anime signature in spoiler tag
                          Spoiler:
                          Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

This question may be related to this topic, but why does the "Milky Way" gates spin, and the Pegasus gates will just make a revolving light light up each of the symbols until it lights up the symbol that is dialed? And how does the symbol always wind up in one of the different chevrons(which are hard to locate if gthey are there)

Just curious!

Comment

Probably because the Pegasus gate is more updated? Since they had to create new gates when they (ancients) moved to Pegasus, so the gates are probably newer.

Comment

Working...
                              X