Ship Scaling Sprites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoples_General
    Considering the size of those skyscrappers on Atlantis... I somehow doubt that the city is a mere 3.1km or the VFX guys need to redo the design, visit an actual big city with tons of skyscrapper (Shanghai, New York, Tokyo), actually pay attention to scaling details and etc.

IMO, it just doesn't makes sense. I know a lot about Cities and Skyscrappers. I live in friggin NEW YORK CITY.

3.1km.... Are you telling me that we lowly humans have constructed things that outclass the mighty Ancients??? Are the VFX guys aware that these are the Ancients they're dealing with?
    Actually, no. It was Bruce Wosheryn (sp), head-high-muck-a-much at Rainmaker who stated 2-3km as Atlantis' size. Various online sources have scaled and calculated a much smaller size from the Season 2 model used (which was produced by a different company than Rainmaker).

And yes, whomever okayed that particular size royally screwed up and/or the pooch. At only 3km long, it barely qualifies as "Lost Hamlet of the Ancients", let alone city. The only way it counts as a city is if it were 21km, as I believe.
    sigpic
    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
      From what I can tell from the episodes I've watched(including Camelot) the only people who messed up royally were us fans. IMO most of us simply assume that all ships on screen are a similar distance from our point of view. other than that I really don't know how large the ships are by numbers. I only know that the Ori ships are about the same size as the O'niell class vessel that was there and that the Ha'taks are a little under half that size and the Oddysey(similar in size to the Prometheus) is slightly smaller than half the size of the Ha'taks.

But this is only what I believe based on what I've seen in Stargate episodes.
      I have to agree with you for the most part
      based only on some pretty definitive comparisons (ie. from really close!)
      I think the order goes something like this:
      Hive ship > Toilet ship > Oneill > Aurora > Hatak > Daniel Jackson > Daedalus > prometheus
      but exactly what size I can't tell ya.
      only that some people here don't appreciate how long a KM actually is
      try walking one before you talk of one

Comment

comon pplz any of you got pics with comparisans of all the ships?...preferable onealclass, hatak, earth, ori
        Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
        Anime signature in spoiler tag
        Spoiler:
        Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
          We have?! Sweet, where is this huge flying city that we've contructed?
          You really have no clue what was implied in my previous statement? Im talking about building heights. Tell me where did you read "flying city" in my statement? It's not there, and I never even edited it.

If Atlantis is merely 3.1km long, then that severely reduces the height of the "Main Spire/Tower" in the middle. Mean that such buildings like the Sears Tower, Taipei 101, and others would be taller than the Atlantis spire.

Not to mention the new buildings being built like Shanghai's World Financial Center building in China, and especially the soaring Burj Dubai tower in the United Arab Emirates.
          http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
          http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

If Atlantis is merely 3.1km long, then that severely reduces the height of the "Main Spire/Tower" in the middle. Mean that such buildings like the Sears Tower, Taipei 101, and others would be taller than the Atlantis spire.

Not to mention the new buildings being built like Shanghai's World Financial Center building in China, and especially the soaring Burj Dubai tower in the United Arab Emirates.
            how do you figure that?
            let's say the tower is about a 1/3 the length of the city
            that makes it 1 km tall which is far more than anything on earth last time I checked
            besides I never considered the central tower to be that tall, it sure doesn't look that way

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven
              how do you figure that?
              let's say the tower is about a 1/3 the length of the city
              that makes it 1 km tall which is far more than anything on earth last time I checked
              besides I never considered the central tower to be that tall, it sure doesn't look that way
              "Let's say"? Now, your the one making a speculation... If you look at the into the tower looks more like 1/8th the width of the city.

Look, these are the mighty Ancients we're dealing with. If anything the towers on Atlantis should be as big as those skyscrappers seen on Corusant in StarWars. It would make far more sense if the Atlantis towers were that gigantic. These *ARE* the Ancients afterall. They're supposed to build things in HUGE scale.

New York's Chinatown would be larger than Atlantis! Gimme a break here, whoever thought up of 3km needs to get out of the Hillbilly land and go to an actual, honest-to-God giant metropolis like New York, or Shanghai. Get a feel for the skyscrappers and scale of the city.

THIS LOOKS BIGGER THAN ATLANTIS! And it's only about 1/6th of Manhattan island's length being shown in this pic.
              Last edited by Peoples_General; 15 April 2006, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Originaly posted by Daryl Froggy
                From what I can tell from the episodes I've watched(including Camelot) the only people who messed up royally were us fans. IMO most of us simply assume that all ships on screen are a similar distance from our point of view. other than that I really don't know how large the ships are by numbers. I only know that the Ori ships are about the same size as the O'niell class vessel that was there and that the Ha'taks are a little under half that size and the Oddysey(similar in size to the Prometheus) is slightly smaller than half the size of the Ha'taks.

But this is only what I believe based on what I've seen in Stargate episodes.
                True perspective has alot to do with it but still camalot is horibly inacurat as we see an oniel class do a swoop past the ori ships and when it is in front of the ori ship it is still like an alkesh to a hatak so you can say things look bigger when they are close up. now im not denying that the ori ships could possible be that big however it is highly unlikely but if they are truely that size then they are gonna be several K across. I explained in a similar thread that camalot is a very bad episode to do scaling on because when you make a big space battle you need to bring in outside CGI help. now this meens the CGI team have never worked on stargate befor and are working to a time and bugget. i seuspect all they were told is the ruf details nd that the ori ships had to be freeking huge so they made everything small in comparisson.

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888
                  comon pplz any of you got pics with comparisans of all the ships?...preferable onealclass, hatak, earth, ori

As i Have said on many occasions!! U can't Base a Size of a ship base on a ship to ship comparsion if u don't know the size of any of them. btw, i would just make a complaint and ask the writers to in the future to put a line in on the size of some of these ships.

Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
                  pps = power per second
                  The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
                  xfire = zpm
                  [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
                  http://m2kclan.com
                  vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
                  port: 3785
                  P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
                  halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
                  Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Well.. everytime they launch a fighter from Daedalus, the fighter seems quite a bit larger to the scale that is being presented in this thread. :|

We know that one fighter bay in the 304's can carry 8 ships... and if I recall correctly, they're lined up 4 to each side of the bay. They're not tightly packed, so if they were packed wing to wing, you'd have enough space possibly for 6 per side? (rough estimate)

The fighter bay is.. ~ 1/2 the length of the ship?

Comment

I've said it before, I'll say it again: You can't scale ships in Stargate because the visual effects teams use different models made by different companies, and they rescale those models to fit the shots as they see fit.

The only way to get concrete numbers would be to talk to the people at Rainmaker (they're the ones who make the original models for both shows) and hope they will provide a list of ship dimensions. I'm not sure if anybody has asked them for such a list, and I'm not sure if they'd comply, but it's definately worth a shot.

Here's Rainmakers contact info:

Telephone: 604-874-8700
                      Fax: 604-872-2106

Mailing / shipping address:
                      50 West Second Avenue
                      Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 1B3 Canada

Email: [email protected]

Toll free phone: 1-800-616-4433

The guy to talk to would be Bruce Woloshyn. He's the visual effects supervisor over there.
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

^^^^ thank you omg thats what i have been saying all alone but when you say it it makes far more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                          I've said it before, I'll say it again: You can't scale ships in Stargate because the visual effects teams use different models made by different companies, and they rescale those models to fit the shots as they see fit.

The only way to get concrete numbers would be to talk to the people at Rainmaker (they're the ones who make the original models for both shows) and hope they will provide a list of ship dimensions. I'm not sure if anybody has asked them for such a list, and I'm not sure if they'd comply, but it's definately worth a shot.

Here's Rainmakers contact info:

Telephone: 604-874-8700
                          Fax: 604-872-2106

Mailing / shipping address:
                          50 West Second Avenue
                          Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 1B3 Canada

Email: [email protected]

Toll free phone: 1-800-616-4433

The guy to talk to would be Bruce Woloshyn. He's the visual effects supervisor over there.
                          Great! Now we can launch Spam attacks to get these ... "people" to scale things correctly for once.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                            AH... thats EXACTLY WHY guys like Lucas and Strazinski (sp?) breathe down on their staff personnel's necks to get things done right.

Comment

IIRC it's spelled Staczynski.

Comment

You really have no clue what was implied in my previous statement? Im talking about building heights. Tell me where did you read "flying city" in my statement? It's not there, and I never even edited it.
                                You said that we "lowly humans have constructed things that outclass the mighty Ancients". To outclass Atlantis, we would have to match its abilities and size, at least that's what "outclass" means in my dictionary.

Anyway, it's just a little snark. Calm down.

And look, you can talk about our buildings being taller or our cities being bigger all you want, but until one of them flies, Atlantis is fine (well, ok, it may be a little bit too small).

Comment

Working...
                                X