Page 1 of 120 1 2341151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ship Scaling Sprites

Default Scalling the ships of Stargate

This thread's purpose is to discuss the relative size of various ships/constructs in the Stargate universe. Only ships that have appeared in more than one episode (not counting stock-footage) are candidates to be added to the scale.

NOTICE: This thread is to discuss relative and practical sizes of the constructs in the scales below. Various objects are re-sized by the 3d departments who work on the show, depending on the practicum of the shot- I.e.: The super gate was stated in ‘Beachhead’ to be 300-400 meters wide, but later in that episode, as well as in ‘Camelot’, and ‘The Pegasus Project’, the Super gate was shown as being far larger that the original 300-400 estimation. One could surmise that the individual super gate segments either expand, or connect to one another to form completed segments which then connect to one another to form an operational super gate. This increase in size was no doubt done so the Ori Warships whose only method to get into the Milky Way was the super gate, could be made many times larger than any human, Goa’uld, or even Asgard vessel, and make the Ori seem far more powerful.

Basic estimates:

Prometheus (303-class): 375 meters.
    Daedalus (304-class): 586 meters (credit to boberth2o for scaling)
    Ha’tak: 680 meters
    F-302: 6 meters:
    Al’kesh: 36.5 meters
    Anubis Super-weapon: 5168 meters
    Cargo Ship: 10.5 meters
    Beliskner (Asgard Mothership): 1088 meters
    O’Neill (Asgard advanced warship): 1632 meters
    Fifth’s/Replicarter’s Mothership:
    Ori Warship: 3196 meters
    Ori Fighter: 9.25 meters
    Wraith Hive Ship: 11km
    Atlantis:3300 meters

Here is a chart of some of the ships from the scalings above:

Credit for the images used in the scales goes to 'Herbert' from the Game Maker Games Forums.
    Except for Atlantis, which was made by Shane Benson (Vilandra from the Sci-fi meshes forums)
    Credit for the Wraith Cruiser, Ori Supergate Wraith Scout, and the Ancient Warship goes to Aiden Ford. Liam887 made the Halcyon cruiser and the Assault Carrier. ????*Co¬¬in L ??? made the Oribtal defense station, and the forerunner Keyship. All Under Heaven made the CCS-Class Battlecruiser and the Seraph fighter. =UnlimitedGuy= made the Longsword. Warsock made the Frigate.

Proof-screenshots:
    Al'kesh relative size based on rings, and people below 'The Other Guys':

Cargo Ship 'Fail-Safe':
    Cargo bridge height derived from the set used over and over and over again.

Ori Fighter Proofs 'Line in the Sand':

Proof screenshots for Atlantis:

An addition scaling for the length of the wraith scout ship:

Orion-class and Wraith Cruiser:

More proof screenshots for the other ships coming soon. If you disagree with the sizes stated above, please provide screenshots from one of these sites to show why your estimates are correct and mine aren't:

http://www.stargatecaps.com/
    http://www.stargatesg1971.com/sg1caps.html

PLEASE do not use sizes taken from 'Camelot' or 'Flesh and Blood' as arguments. The sizes in these two episodes are horribly out of proportion for 'dramatic effect'!
    Last edited by Battera; March 3rd, 2008 at 01:34 PM.
    You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Default Re: Ship Scaling Sprites

What do you base your figures on?

The current figures are based on the episodes 'Lost City', 'Exodus', 'Revelations', and 'Off the Grid'. There are others, but those episodes are the only significant ones.
    You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

I'd like to see the numbers

What exactly do you mean by numbers? Like screen caps?

-LGBT-

calculations. How you reached those sizes.

Well, the Prometheus was very small compared to a Ha'tak in 'Lost City', and we already know that the Ha'tak's pyramid is about the size of the great pyramids (220 meters wide), and we've seen an intensive comparison of a Ha'tak to an al'kesh, and an Al'kesh to a Death glider in 'Exodus', as well as a decent comparison of a beliskner to a Ha'tak in 'Revelations'. The f-302 size was determined in comparisons done of the fighters exiting the Daedalus. And:

The Death glider can seat two people, so it's logically about 5-6 meters.

The Al'kesh is quite a few times bigger than a glider, about 6-8 times longer, giving it an approximate length of 32-36 meters.

The Prometheus is 5-6 times longer than an Al'kesh as shown in 'Lost City'.

The Ha'tak's base is approximately the width of the great pyramids, and the total width of the pyramid, and the super-structure creates a variable range of any where from 550-800 meters, depending on which episode you look at. I, of course, chose 'Lost city', in the scene where the Prometheus approached Anubis's ship, passing a Ha'tak.

The Beliskner's size was rather difficult to calculate. Using the scene in 'Revelations', when the Beliskner begins to approach Osiris's Ha'tak, I guessed the distance the Beliskner was to the Ha'tak, (also using a screen cap from 'Thor's Chariot'), and calculated its approximate size to be about 1340 Meters.

-LGBT-

Quote Originally Posted by Battera
    Alot of fans have no idea how big some ships are compared to one another. Like Ha'tak to prometheus, or the Daedalus to an Ori warship, so inorder to end this quarrel, I have created a size comparison chart for the ships of stargate. If you see something that you think is incorrect, please post your opinion, and if possible screencaps supporting you.:

Ships I'm currently working on:
    O'neill
    Replicator Cruiser

Other ships to be included:
    Ori Warship
    Wraith hive ship

i will have to disagree according to my sources.

Prometheus= Length 257 m
    Width 104 m
    Height 71 m
    sources=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_%28Stargate%29

F-302 not specified!!!

Daedalus= Length 335 m
    Width 192 m
    Height 68 m
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daedalu..._battlecruiser

Al'kesh not specified!!

Ha'tak not specified!

Beliskner not specified!

O'Neill class battleship not specified!

Daniel Jackson not specified!

Aurora class battleship = Unofficial data suggests length about 500 metres and breadth about 220 metres.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_class_battleship

SuperGate= 300 to 400 meters. Kallana gate. first Ssg.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergate_%28Stargate%29

Ori BattleCrusier = The Ori ships appear to be far larger than any of the Earth/Jaffa/Asgard/Tok'ra ships present, each battlecruiser being comparable in size to at least 4 Ha'taks but probably more. This, however, could be just a matter of perspective, as very little quality footage is available. Based on extrapolation from the relative size of a human to one of the new supergate´s blocks, an Ori ship could be 700–800 metres (2100–2500 ft.) wide and 1000–1200 metres (3000–3600 ft.) long. The primary weapon of the ship is housed at the base of the bow. Given that supergates are about 1000 to 1300 feet (300 to 400 meters) in diameter, an Ori Battle ship must be smaller than these boundaries.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ori_battlecruiser

Wraith Hive-ships = Length 5545m
    Width 3970m
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wraith_Hive-Ship
    http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7116/zpm3lg2ib.gif
    Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
    pps = power per second
    The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
    xfire = zpm
    [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
    http://m2kclan.com
    vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
    port: 3785
    P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
    halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
    Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Ok. If the Daedalus is only 78 meters longer than the Prometheus, then why does everyone say that the Daedalus is several times the size of the prometheus? The Wikipedia is likely incorrect. The most credible (perhaps only credible) source for the scales of the ships are the episodes themselves excep camelot which screwed up royally.

-LGBT-

Sorry.... but I wouldn't depend on Wikipedia for starship info. First off all, the data is submitted from fan observation. Observations which does not do things like pixel calcuation and etc.

You might wanna try StarGate-Tech instead of Wikipedia...
    http://www.stargate-tech.net/

IMO, the largest ships (barring City-Ships) are the Ori warships.

BTW... no calculations for the Aurora Class ships?

I wish the StarGate VFX guys paid attention to ship sizes the way that Star Wars and Star Trek guys do.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Peoples_General
    IMO, the largest ships (barring City-Ships) are the Ori warships.
    Not according to certain scalling sites online, Atlantis is only 3km at the largest, and maybe only 1.5km at the smallest.

Of course, those of us with active imaginations take the "size of Manhattan" quote literally and upscale that to 21km from end to end

Considering the size of those skyscrappers on Atlantis... I somehow doubt that the city is a mere 3.1km or the VFX guys need to redo the design, visit an actual big city with tons of skyscrapper (Shanghai, New York, Tokyo), actually pay attention to scaling details and etc.

IMO, it just doesn't makes sense. I know a lot about Cities and Skyscrappers. I live in friggin NEW YORK CITY.

3.1km.... Are you telling me that we lowly humans have constructed things that outclass the mighty Ancients??? Are the VFX guys aware that these are the Ancients they're dealing with?

General

Ok. If the Daedalus is only 78 meters longer than the Prometheus, then why does everyone say that the Daedalus is several times the size of the prometheus? The Wikipedia is likely incorrect. The most credible (perhaps only credible) source for the scales of the ships are the episodes themselves excep camelot which screwed up royally.
    Wait, who says the Prommie is that much smaller than the Deady?

3.1km.... Are you telling me that we lowly humans have constructed things that outclass the mighty Ancients??? Are the VFX guys aware that these are the Ancients they're dealing with?
    We have?! Sweet, where is this huge flying city that we've contructed?

The most credible (perhaps only credible) source for the scales of the ships are the episodes themselves excep camelot which screwed up royally.
    From what I can tell from the episodes I've watched(including Camelot) the only people who messed up royally were us fans. IMO most of us simply assume that all ships on screen are a similar distance from our point of view. other than that I really don't know how large the ships are by numbers. I only know that the Ori ships are about the same size as the O'niell class vessel that was there and that the Ha'taks are a little under half that size and the Oddysey(similar in size to the Prometheus) is slightly smaller than half the size of the Ha'taks.

But this is only what I believe based on what I've seen in Stargate episodes.

Captain

Considering the size of those skyscrappers on Atlantis... I somehow doubt that the city is a mere 3.1km or the VFX guys need to redo the design, visit an actual big city with tons of skyscrapper (Shanghai, New York, Tokyo), actually pay attention to scaling details and etc.

IMO, it just doesn't makes sense. I know a lot about Cities and Skyscrappers. I live in friggin NEW YORK CITY.

Actually, no. It was Bruce Wosheryn (sp), head-high-muck-a-much at Rainmaker who stated 2-3km as Atlantis' size. Various online sources have scaled and calculated a much smaller size from the Season 2 model used (which was produced by a different company than Rainmaker).

And yes, whomever okayed that particular size royally screwed up and/or the pooch. At only 3km long, it barely qualifies as "Lost Hamlet of the Ancients", let alone city. The only way it counts as a city is if it were 21km, as I believe.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Froggy
    From what I can tell from the episodes I've watched(including Camelot) the only people who messed up royally were us fans. IMO most of us simply assume that all ships on screen are a similar distance from our point of view. other than that I really don't know how large the ships are by numbers. I only know that the Ori ships are about the same size as the O'niell class vessel that was there and that the Ha'taks are a little under half that size and the Oddysey(similar in size to the Prometheus) is slightly smaller than half the size of the Ha'taks.

But this is only what I believe based on what I've seen in Stargate episodes.
    I have to agree with you for the most part
    based only on some pretty definitive comparisons (ie. from really close!)
    I think the order goes something like this:
    Hive ship > Toilet ship > Oneill > Aurora > Hatak > Daniel Jackson > Daedalus > prometheus
    but exactly what size I can't tell ya.
    only that some people here don't appreciate how long a KM actually is
    try walking one before you talk of one

comon pplz any of you got pics with comparisans of all the ships?...preferable onealclass, hatak, earth, ori
    Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blendhttp://i391.photobucket.com/albums/o...einvasion3.jpg
    Anime signature in spoiler tag
    Spoiler:
    Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it
    http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/o...lsigfinal3.jpg

Arrow Re: Ship Scaling Sprites

Quote Originally Posted by PG15
    We have?! Sweet, where is this huge flying city that we've contructed?
    You really have no clue what was implied in my previous statement? Im talking about building heights. Tell me where did you read "flying city" in my statement? It's not there, and I never even edited it.

If Atlantis is merely 3.1km long, then that severely reduces the height of the "Main Spire/Tower" in the middle. Mean that such buildings like the Sears Tower, Taipei 101, and others would be taller than the Atlantis spire.

Not to mention the new buildings being built like Shanghai's World Financial Center building in China, and especially the soaring Burj Dubai tower in the United Arab Emirates.

Captain

If Atlantis is merely 3.1km long, then that severely reduces the height of the "Main Spire/Tower" in the middle. Mean that such buildings like the Sears Tower, Taipei 101, and others would be taller than the Atlantis spire.

Not to mention the new buildings being built like Shanghai's World Financial Center building in China, and especially the soaring Burj Dubai tower in the United Arab Emirates.
    how do you figure that?
    let's say the tower is about a 1/3 the length of the city
    that makes it 1 km tall which is far more than anything on earth last time I checked
    besides I never considered the central tower to be that tall, it sure doesn't look that way