X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keffler
    118 118!
    Hello this is Atlantis how may we be of assisstance?
    "Hi, could you give me the number for the local ZPM dealership"
    Mrs Tapping

Myspace: www.myspace.com/stuey1221
    MSN: [email protected]
    feel free to add me on either

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
      I thought you need naquadah to create a wormhole. We have seen no signs of naquadah in Pegasus because they haven't done any kind of naquadah seaching mission as far as what I've seen.
      I don't think naquadah is absolutely necessary for a stargate, naquadah is just a really unique superconductive material capable of acquiring and storing great amounts of energy. In order to establish and maintain a stable wormhole it requires a deal of energy and that is what naquahad provides efficiency in the MW stargates. The Pegasus gates probably do the same thing but more effectively since they are made of more modern materials, which the ancients could have invented. I certainly would mind a more initimate understanding of the Pegasus gates for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient_Chemist
        I don't think naquadah is absolutely necessary for a stargate, naquadah is just a really unique superconductive material capable of acquiring and storing great amounts of energy. In order to establish and maintain a stable wormhole it requires a deal of energy and that is what naquahad provides efficiency in the MW stargates. The Pegasus gates probably do the same thing but more effectively since they are made of more modern materials, which the ancients could have invented. I certainly would mind a more initimate understanding of the Pegasus gates for sure.
        Hmmm... without any evidence of Naquadah in the Pegasus galaxy.. ( and Rodney should be looking...) that begs another question.

We haven't seen evidence of naquadah in the Ori galaxy, not even another gate system... Maybe naquadah is unique to the MW? There might even be a connection to the goa'uld, considering their make up. naquadah is fossilized goa'uld! (drum roll!)

But seriously, if the Atlantis gate, and the Pegasus gates are naquadah, they must be a composite of some sort, or a very powerful alternative.
        Tired of sharing your life with a creature that has the mind of a snake and wishes to enslave you and your people? Wish you could just once live symbiote free? Wonder why you can't enjoy long walks on the beach and religion free war?

Then TRITONEN! may be right for you!*

*Side effects may include loss of sleep, dry, itchy pouch, severe loneliness, and possible torture at the hands of a System Lord. In rare cases, Tritonen can lead to death. Consult with your First Prime before using.

Comment

Im presuming that you absoloutly do not need naquadah to build a gate unless Orilin could order it off the internet! He did build his own gate using readily available Earth materials.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
          Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
          the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
          Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
          The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by Harekin
            Im presuming that you absoloutly do not need naquadah to build a gate unless Orilin could order it off the internet! He did build his own gate using readily available Earth materials.
            I've been readin the posts and s/he has a point
            Mrs Tapping

Comment

As long has you understood the physics behind the production of a wormhole, which is not my strong suite, and had the materials to channel a sufficient amount of energy to establish and maintain a short-lived wormhole-then yes what orlin did is theoretically possible.

Obiviously the Ancients knew what they were doing.

Comment

How can anyone realistically understand wormholes and how they work?

We're basing our understanding on a SCIFI TV show. Lets face it they make things up as they go along anyway just to make a watchable show. This doesn't meant that it's right at all.

Your all getting way too serious about this now. The topic is Atlantis submerging again - NOT how to use wormholes! - C'mon people get with the program!

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Turboz
                  How can anyone realistically understand wormholes and how they work?

We're basing our understanding on a SCIFI TV show. Lets face it they make things up as they go along anyway just to make a watchable show. This doesn't meant that it's right at all.

Your all getting way too serious about this now. The topic is Atlantis submerging again - NOT how to use wormholes! - C'mon people get with the program!

-Turboz
                  No its not, last time i checked it was about the Atlantis Gate :/
                  Has the topic been moved?
                  Mrs Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Harekin
                    Yeah, but I think that gate that Orlin made had an unstable wormhole. I think you need naquadah to create a stable one. More proof that the gates need naquadah is in 'A Hundred Days' in SG1 when the liquid naquadah to create a stable wormhole became solidified and created something similar to the iris.

Originally posted by Stuey1221
                    No its not, last time i checked it was about the Atlantis Gate :/
                    Has the topic been moved?
                    The topic of the thread is the Atlantis Gate and I think we are on topic cause it is about the Atlantis gate.
                    Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                    Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

I've never posted anything anywhere before, but I've been thinking a lot about the Atlantis Stargate.

We know that Atlantis is not the only ancient city-ship. There is the other one in "The Tower" and hints in spoilers for upcoming seasons that there are others. (I wonder if they'll be named after other missing Earth Continents).

Because the Atlantis expedition to the planet in "The Tower" didn't come through a gate inside the actual tower, but to a separate gate elsewhere on the surface, it leads you to think there can't be one in the tower, because we're all generally agreed that a city-ship gate on a planet's surface takes precedence over an ordinary gate on a planet's surface. In other words, in the opening scene of "Rising" before Atlantis takes off, someone dialing earth would walk through into the Atlantis control room, and not into the outpost and the beta gate.

In one of the other fora (plural of forum no?) someone says the beta gate wasn't found near the outpost, but Daniel explicitly says in "The Lost City" when they approach antarctica looking for the outpost Atlantus, "I suppose we should look close to where the other gate was found." I think it was incredible and awesome how the outpost fit inside the center hole at the base of the Atlantis city-ship. It bears a little resemblence to the Go'auld landing their ships on pyramids in my opinion.

But back to the Atlantis Gate... first off it's awesome. I dig the blue chevrons. The cool color compared to the yellow originals make the gate look newer and more technologically advanced in the same way blue cel phone LEDs look sleeker than those older green ones. But is the Atlantis gate new? I think it's safe to assume Atlantis wasn't built on Earth, and if it wasn't built on earth I think it's likely the gate in its control room is actually older than the earth gates and likely older than all the gates in the milky way.

The other thing unique to this gate are the light-up constellation glyphs. (also congrats on the design to whomever - they look great). We know from the Stargate movie and at least one SG-1 episode (I can't think of the name, but I can hear Catherine saying "We don't even know if that symbol will be on their gate".) Each gate is engraved with constellations that are used as coordinates to dial other gates. But because constellations are completely different when viewed from different points in space, it seems unlikely that any two gates would have *ANY* glyphs in common. (Shepard told Ford to remember the symbols that lit up when the wraith dialed out of Teyla's world, but it's questionable if those symbols would be the same on the atlantis gate... maybe McKay translated the symbols into a location in space the same way Carter did in a dozen SG-1 episodes) Each gate seems to work from only one point in space. As a side note it makes me wonder how the egypt gate on earth worked at all (but of course that's because) if it was brought from another planet. Maybe the Go'auld can make gates. Would be interesting if there was an episode about an enslaved ancient who put gates where the Go'auld wanted them wouldn't it?

Anyway, back to the Atlantis gate... presumably because the symbols on the gates change with the gate's location, and because the Atlantis gate is on a ship and therefore capable of moving, the glyphs themselves aren't engraved in order for the constellations to change with respect to where the gate is. The question is... does the Atlantis gate room DHD, or the DHD panels in the PJ's change to correspond with the symbols on the gate as the city-ship changes position?

I don't think there is a gate on the mainland of the planet. Why would the ancients put a gate there? If they had setup no civilization there, it would just be a point for enemies to congregate before they attack. I think part of the reason why they selected a water planet to land on may have been to keep themselves safer. It also may be a reason why they were on Antarctica on earth, figuring that it was distant from the habitable portions of the planet and therefore more safe.

Sorry if I'm off topic here a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lock-It-In
                        I've never posted anything anywhere before, but I've been thinking a lot about the Atlantis Stargate.

The other thing unique to this gate are the light-up constellation glyphs. (also congrats on the design to whomever - they look great). We know from the Stargate movie and at least one SG-1 episode (I can't think of the name, but I can hear Catherine saying "We don't even know if that symbol will be on their gate".) Each gate is engraved with constellations that are used as coordinates to dial other gates. But because constellations are completely different when viewed from different points in space, it seems unlikely that any two gates would have *ANY* glyphs in common. (Shepard told Ford to remember the symbols that lit up when the wraith dialed out of Teyla's world, but it's questionable if those symbols would be the same on the atlantis gate... maybe McKay translated the symbols into a location in space the same way Carter did in a dozen SG-1 episodes) Each gate seems to work from only one point in space. As a side note it makes me wonder how the egypt gate on earth worked at all (but of course that's because) if it was brought from another planet. Maybe the Go'auld can make gates. Would be interesting if there was an episode about an enslaved ancient who put gates where the Go'auld wanted them wouldn't it?

]That concept that the DHD glyphs are representative of constellation comes from the movie. It was actually dissolved as the show progressed from season one. Carter determined that the glyphs look like constallations in the MW but in reality represent a 3D point in space. So really the only difference between DHDs is the PoO. As you mention the placement of the constallelations do change depending on your location. So the gates in the Pegasus more than likely operate on the same principal-visual representation of 3D point in space.

It wouldnt surprise me if the goa'uld figured out a way to fabricate a stargate, since they have shown that they known quite a lot about ancient technoloy and that one goa'uld conrad knew how to save Teal'c.

Anyway, back to the Atlantis gate... presumably because the symbols on the gates change with the gate's location, and because the Atlantis gate is on a ship and therefore capable of moving, the glyphs themselves aren't engraved in order for the constellations to change with respect to where the gate is. The question is... does the Atlantis gate room DHD, or the DHD panels in the PJ's change to correspond with the symbols on the gate as the city-ship changes position?
                        If you'll notice from "Rising part 1 & part 2" the dialing console is LED or like-LED after the city starts to come back online the console lights up displaying the glyphs. This the same for the PJs. My working hypothesis is that the acutal glyphs displayed on the respective consoles are representative the gate network. So if that is the case if altlanis were to move the MW, the glyph on the dialing console should change to the symbols in the MW gate network. I think in "Mobieous part 2," the TPJ (time puddle jumper) had a digital dialing console that displayed the MW symbols. The only glyph that would not change would the one that is Atlantis's PoO.

I don't think there is a gate on the mainland of the planet. Why would the ancients put a gate there? If they had setup no civilization there, it would just be a point for enemies to congregate before they attack. I think part of the reason why they selected a water planet to land on may have been to keep themselves safer. It also may be a reason why they were on Antarctica on earth, figuring that it was distant from the habitable portions of the planet and therefore more safe.

Sorry if I'm off topic here a bit.
                        That's logical to think there isnt one on the main land, at this point we only pressume that since we havent seen it yet.

Comment

I just had a thought, there most definately is not a mainland gate, TPTB said so in the end of the first season.

Weir offers the Athosians a chance to evaculate through the Atlantis gate as the three Wraith hive ships approach. She says to them explicitly, if they are unsuccessful in destroying the wraith ships (with the satellite) then they plan to destroy atlantis, and she says, "Cutting off your people from the gate for good."

In some other episode, I can't remember where, it's been said that the mainland is small, so either there is no gate on the mainland or it simply hasn't been discovered. But how could it be undiscovered if the mainland is "small." Of course small is relative. How many Athosians are there on the mainland?

Comment

I don't know if you guys have sorted this out yet, but I will post anyways.

There is no reason for there to be two gates on the Lantian homeworld. If it were in our galaxy, it would be possible that there would be another one, but that doesn't mean that it would seem to suggest it. In the Pegasus galaxy the Atlantians went there to presumably do experiments or populate the galaxy but in the process they put gates there, if they had already chosen a homeworld for atlantis there would be no reason to put another Stargate on the planet.

Comment

Working...
                            X