This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Gate

Mods: Feel free to move this if you think it more appropriately belongs somewhere else, or has already been addressed, or, well, because you're the mods and you want to.

Question: Atlantis has a gate. It's always been my impression that the Gate was built in on the City, and should the city fly away, the Gate would go with them.

Following that logic, the Gate's address would change from planet to planet, right? As the addresses are specific to locations in space, it couldn't have a set address like a mobile phone.

And... if that holds true, then, any planet that the city lands on, does the Atlantis gate become the primary gate through some sort of "call forwarding"?

Also, for what it's worth, wouldn't that also suggest there's a second gate somewhere on the "mainland"? Couldn't that conceivably be a security risk if the Wraith ever figured out how to dial that one instead?
    Tired of sharing your life with a creature that has the mind of a snake and wishes to enslave you and your people? Wish you could just once live symbiote free? Wonder why you can't enjoy long walks on the beach and religion free war?

Then TRITONEN! may be right for you!*

*Side effects may include loss of sleep, dry, itchy pouch, severe loneliness, and possible torture at the hands of a System Lord. In rare cases, Tritonen can lead to death. Consult with your First Prime before using.

In my opinion, I think the gate in Atlantis is the gate for that planet. So if they take the gate with them, there will not be a gate on that planet. As for the other questions, I think the Atlantis gate would become the primary gate.
    Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
    Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
      In my opinion, I think the gate in Atlantis is the gate for that planet. So if they take the gate with them, there will not be a gate on that planet. As for the other questions, I think the Atlantis gate would become the primary gate.
      In thinking about it.. that opinion is backed up by the "Tower" where the gate was outside the city instead of inside...
      Tired of sharing your life with a creature that has the mind of a snake and wishes to enslave you and your people? Wish you could just once live symbiote free? Wonder why you can't enjoy long walks on the beach and religion free war?

*Side effects may include loss of sleep, dry, itchy pouch, severe loneliness, and possible torture at the hands of a System Lord. In rare cases, Tritonen can lead to death. Consult with your First Prime before using.

Comment

I'm thinking they made that gate for atlantis when they went Earth -> Atlantis, because the gate #2 (the one that blew up big time) was discovered there.
        So, they made the gate for earth, left it there, made atlantis' gate, then left atlantis there

I have no idea why there was a "2nd Atlantis" in The Tower [A2x15] though, so i could just be talking... er... typing

Comment

Spoiler:

If you look at the spoilers for next season, you'll see that there is also another Atlantis type city ship out there so obviously it wasn't unique.

Comment

the atlantis gate has the control crystal. so it would be come the 'primary' gate on whatever planet it ventures to
            Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
            (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

________________________________________________________________________________ ______

THE 2 BEST SHIPS IN STARGATE!!! GO ASGARD!!!
              Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
              Anime signature in spoiler tag
              Spoiler:
              Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Well, seeing as how that Gate design is only found in Pegasus, I'm willing to bet they left Earth without a Stargate. Once they found the planet they wanted to settle, they built their first Stargate there, complete with unique DHD and control crystal, then set out to build the other Gates.

I have a feeling that if the city moved, the DHD would update appropriately. Of course, that's what I would push if I were on the writing/production team.

Of course, this question would be answered much easier had they ever explained how exactly the Gate on Klorel's ship worked.

Comment

It would make sense that the atlantis gate and control system would auto update and connect with the locate gate network depending on where the city is, either Pegasus or wherever. It is more than likely that the altantis gate would trump anyother gate on a planet similar to having the two gates on earth, one remains domaint over the other.

At Bragi, the gate on Klorel's ship in the finale of season one used the planet as the point of origin. Once the ship jumped to hyperspace, SG1 wasnt able to dial out because the 7th chevon didnt lock. While at the same time the SGC had the same problem on their end.

So if atlantis was ever returned to its former glory and took up residency in orbit around earth, the city gate would probably take dominance over earth gate when accepting incoming wormholes.

Comment

Its a bit off topic and theres probably a whole other thead But......

Spoiler:
                    the one thing stoping the wraith from dialing earth from the pegasus galexy is the dhd

and if the ATLANTIS ship has the corect dhd for that kind of gate travel
                    then wouldn't other atlantis ships like the one from "the tower" and the one in the spoilers for next season be able to dial earth
                    Click the link to learn the Goa'uld language
                    Lo tak meta satak oz

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient_Chemist
                      It would make sense that the atlantis gate and control system would auto update and connect with the locate gate network depending on where the city is, either Pegasus or wherever. It is more than likely that the altantis gate would trump anyother gate on a planet similar to having the two gates on earth, one remains domaint over the other.

At Bragi, the gate on Klorel's ship in the finale of season one used the planet as the point of origin. Once the ship jumped to hyperspace, SG1 wasnt able to dial out because the 7th chevon didnt lock. While at the same time the SGC had the same problem on their end.

So if atlantis was ever returned to its former glory and took up residency in orbit around earth, the city gate would probably take dominance over earth gate when accepting incoming wormholes.
                      Well... that would effectively solve the Russian Gate problem... let 'em have it back...

Comment

Originally posted by jaffa_shol'va
                        Its a bit off topic and theres probably a whole other thead But......

Spoiler:
                        the one thing stoping the wraith from dialing earth from the pegasus galexy is the dhd

and if the ATLANTIS ship has the corect dhd for that kind of gate travel
                        then wouldn't other atlantis ships like the one from "the tower" and the one in the spoilers for next season be able to dial earth
                        [Assuming you had the right address and a ZPM, I suppose...

Comment

unless thats why atlantis was unique

Comment

Atlantis's gate isn't unique. The DHD is though, with the extra "I want to dial earth" crystal, to stop people from actually getting back to earth who they didn't want.

It'd be fun if Atlantis could take off for earth, but I'm guessing you'd need all 3 ZPM's... and then it would become the primary earth gate, simply because it's got a DHD. I think that the Atlantis gate would change it's address if it moved, but then all gates do that anyway.

Comment

Isn't the Atlantis gate the only one that can reach Earth? Haven't they left a symbol off all the other DHD's on other planets that allows a trip to earth?

Sorry if that was a bit confusing
                              Mrs Tapping

Myspace: www.myspace.com/stuey1221
                              MSN: [email protected]
                              feel free to add me on either

Comment

Working...
                              X