This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8th chevron

Ok i know that the 8th chevron adds an extra distance calculation but why, 6 points and point of origin should be enough, does any one know why it needs 8 as in points in a three dimetional space?
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

It adds the galaxy distance calculation. In order for the system to work the 6 points have to be measured by predetermined points in space around the outside of the galaxy so the intersecting lines can be plotted. the default is that it automatically uses the home system of coordinates for the galaxy you are in, the additional chevron (which is actually the seventh when you are dialing because PoO still has to be last) tells it to calculate using the coordinates for the other galaxy.

Comment

let's sift ths to a 2D plane for simplity.

We ave 2 sheets of grid paper. Each one is divided into the normal 4 sections. Now (3,2) could be that point in eith sheet, so we add another thing to explain which one

Comment

peanutbutter + Jelly = sandwich

there is your answer duh.

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
          It adds the galaxy distance calculation. In order for the system to work the 6 points have to be measured by predetermined points in space around the outside of the galaxy so the intersecting lines can be plotted. the default is that it automatically uses the home system of coordinates for the galaxy you are in, the additional chevron (which is actually the seventh when you are dialing because PoO still has to be last) tells it to calculate using the coordinates for the other galaxy.
          Have they ever explained why three intersecting lines are needed, and not two?

That has sort of never made sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478
            Have they ever explained why three intersecting lines are needed, and not two?

That has sort of never made sense to me.
            because space a 3 dimensional reality, not 2. With only 2 line you can calculate the distance on only one plane.

Comment

but the gate doesnt travel to other planes well unless the 9th cheveron theory is correct??
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                but the gate doesnt travel to other planes well unless the 9th cheveron theory is correct??
                plane as in mathematic calculations, not planes of reality. you can only calculate along an x and y axis with only two lines, you need a third line for z

Comment

First of all, its TV and second, I don't think they really thought it out, they've basically made it into an area code...

Comment

because space a 3 dimensional reality, not 2. With only 2 line you can calculate the distance on only one plane.
                    Sorry, but that doesn't really make sense. If you have two intersecting lines, why do you need a third one?

EDIT: It would have made more sense to make the address of a planet represent a vector so it doesn't depend on constellations, but its a TV show, so I suppose its not going to make sense.

Comment

Sorry, but that doesn't really make sense. If you have two intersecting lines, why do you need a third one?

EDIT: It would have made more sense to make the address of a planet represent a vector so it doesn't depend on constellations, but its a TV show, so I suppose its not going to make sense.
                      ok take a piece of paper and draw two intersecting lines on it. The lines come together at a single point. Now hold that paper up in front of your eyes. the piece of paper represents one single plane in space, a measurement based on front to back measurment and side to side. However in space things also have to be measure up and down, thats the z axis. With out that additional measurement the point in space that the planet is at could be anywhere along that vertical axis. Its hard to explain over a message board.

And the constelations thing was just in the movie and worked when it only went to one place. Its never been carried over or utilized in the show.

Comment

However in space things also have to be measure up and down, thats the z axis.
                        If two lines intersect in 3 dimensional space, that is still going to give you a single point, not an entire line. You can find the intersection of two lines in three dimensional space pretty easily. (if they have one, not likely however)

Two lines intersecting is just as good as three lines intersecting.

here, I have attached a picture of two intersecting line segments. Explain why thats not as good at three intersecting line segments.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by cobraR478; 21 March 2006, 04:24 PM.

Comment

If two lines intersect in 3 dimensional space, that is still going to give you a single point, not an entire line.

Two lines intersecting is just as good as three lines intersecting.
                          no it does give you an entire line. if you have a 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot cube and make two lines cross in the middle a foot from each wall you still havent specified how far from the top or bottom of the box the point is so it could be any point along the line that exists 1 foot from each side

Comment

I am going with this one. It adds for distance.
                            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

no it does give you an entire line. if you have a 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot cube and make two lines cross in the middle a foot from each wall you still havent specified how far from the top or bottom of the box the point is so it could be any point along the line that exists 1 foot from each side
                              look at the attachment I added in my previous post, and tell me why those two intersecting lines dont give you a point.

Comment

Working...
                              X