This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cobraR478
    look at the attachment I added in my previous post, and tell me why those two intersecting lines dont give you a point.
    Where is the point along the x axis? This isnt something im making up, this is simple mathematic fact. in order to plot a single point in 3 dimensional space you need three lines intersecting. left to right, front to back, and up and down. Otherwise the point is just a point on a single plane and could exist anywhere along the unspecified axis.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
      Where is the point along the x axis? This isnt something im making up, this is simple mathematic fact. in order to plot a single point in 3 dimensional space you need three lines intersecting. left to right, front to back, and up and down. Otherwise the point is just a point on a single plane and could exist anywhere along the unspecified axis.
      Each line has an x,y, and z component.

I am starting to think you are just screwing with me.... this isn't a difficult concept.
      Last edited by cobraR478; 21 March 2006, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Each line has an x,y, and z component.

I am starting to think you are just screwing with me.... this isn'st a difficult concept.
        Im not screwing with you, and you are right this isn't difficult it is a basic geometric concept. The diagram you showed is a perfect example. each line can only be on the x, y, or z axis as a measurement. the diagram you showed has two lines intersecting. one is the y axis, one is the z axis, so where does the point fall on the y axis? I can not explain it any clearer than that over the internet, but this isn't a subjective opinion thing. this is a proven mathematical principal. If you still can't get it go find a math teacher to explain it in real life.

Comment

Im not screwing with you, and you are right this isn't difficult it is a basic geometric concept. The diagram you showed is a perfect example. each line can only be on the x, y, or z axis as a measurement. the diagram you showed has two lines intersecting. one is the y axis, one is the z axis, so where does the point fall on the y axis? I can not explain it any clearer than that over the internet, but this isn't a subjective opinion thing. this is a proven mathematical principal. If you still can't get it go find a math teacher to explain it in real life.
          The lines I showed you have x, y, and z components. They exist in three-space. The place where they intersect will give you a point... what is so hard about this?
          Last edited by cobraR478; 21 March 2006, 04:55 PM.

Comment

The lines I showed you have x, y, and z components. They exist in three-space. The place where they intersect will give you a point... what is so hard about this?
            They dont have an x, y, and z component, it is only two lines, it is only two axii. Look Ive explained it several times, this isnt some subjective thing open for interpretation, it is a simple fact. You are wrong. If you don't get it go look it up in a math text book or have a teacher explain it to you.

Comment

They dont have an x, y, and z component, it is only two lines, it is only two axii. Look Ive explained it several times, this isnt some subjective thing open for interpretation, it is a simple fact. You are wrong. If you don't get it go look it up in a math text book or have a teacher explain it to you.
              Are you serious? The lines are not on an axis. They DO have components in the x, y, and z directions, even if the components are 0.(which they weren't in my example) Sorry, but YOU are the one that needs a textbook.

Take two pieces of string, make them intersect. Are you seriously telling me that this does not create a point?

Comment

plane as in mathematic calculations, not planes of reality. you can only calculate along an x and y axis with only two lines, you need a third line for z
                Which is a pain in the ass to graph, by the way.

Comment

Are you serious? The lines are not on an axis. They DO have components in the x, y, and z directions, even if the components are 0.(which they weren't in my example) Sorry, but YOU are the one that needs a textbook.

Take two pieces of string, make them intersect. Are you seriously telling me that this does not create a point?
                  They make a point ON A SINGLE PLANE, NOT IN A 3 DIMENSIONAL SPACE. If ecerything in the galaxy was absolutely flat, all of the suns and planets at the exact same "level" then that would work, however thats not how space works does it? You need the third axis to measure height!

Let me try this one more time: Imagine a cube. 2 feet wide. 2 feet deep, and 2 feet high. now draw a line one foot from each side of the box to the other side. now draw a second line from side to side one foot from the front and back. Now tell me how far is the point you just made from the top and bottom of the box.

Now don't tell me I need a text book. Again, this isnt a subjective thing. This is pure, high school gemetry. If you don't get it then forget it. You are wrong, it is plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                    Except what he said was that a line can only move along an axis, which would make graphing significantly easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                      No kidding, I hated trying to do that in high school geometry. Finally we started just using the computers to show it in a 3d space, it was easier.

Comment

They make a point ON A SINGLE PLANE, NOT IN A 3 DIMENSIONAL SPACE. If ecerything in the galaxy was absolutely flat, all of the suns and planets at the exact same "level" then that would work, however thats not how space works does it? You need the third axis to measure height!

Let me try this one more time: Imagine a cube. 2 feet wide. 2 feet deep, and 2 feet high. now draw a line one foot from each side of the box to the other side. now draw a second line from side to side one foot from the front and back. Now tell me how far is the point you just made from the top and bottom of the box.

Now don't tell me I need a text book. Again, this isnt a subjective thing. This is pure, high school gemetry. If you don't get it then forget it. You are wrong, it is plain and simple.
                        Assume this is a 2X2X2 cube, and assume those two line segments run from the points they appear to run from. You will get a point right in the middle, 1 ft from the top and bottom, 1 ft from each of the 4 sides. (choosing the point on each plane that is closest to the intersection.)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Assume this is a 2X2X2 cube, and assume those two line segments run from the points they appear to run from. You will get a point right in the middle, 1 ft from the top and bottom, 1 ft from each of the 4 sides. (choosing the point on each plane that is closest to the intersection.)
                          Forget it, this is pointless. I don't even know why I am bothering to try to explain this. Its not even my idea, it is proven geometric law, take it up with Euclides and Pythagoras.

Comment

Chevon 26 has a prettey decent model of how the coordinate system works.

Comment

Forget it, this is pointless. I don't even know why I am bothering to try to explain this. Its not even my idea, it is proven geometric law, take it up with Euclides and Pythagoras.
                              Ok, fine. Maybe someone else will enlighten you eventually.

- Please don't give me the "read a texbook speech again." I've already gone through univesity level calculus and algebra. This is such a trivial concept to me, I can't believe I am even debating it. I also can't believe there are still people in industrialized nations that do not understand this concept.

- Please make sure you understand, at least somewhat, what you're talking about next time. I *think* you think a line can only move in either the x, y, or z direction, which has to be one of the most absurd statements I've heard in a while.

EDIT: What you are claiming is not geometric law. Its rubbish. It makes no sense.

The last picture I posted is as definitive as it gets. If you do not see the point of intersection between those two lines, then you are lost. There is no hope for you and geometry.

EDIT: Here is some math to maybe help you out.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inciden..._pair_of_lines

EDIT: heres another one, scroll down to the 3D part
                              http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Line-LineIntersection.html

EDIT: Here's another one
                              http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/62814.html
                              Last edited by cobraR478; 21 March 2006, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
                                peanutbutter + Jelly = sandwich

there is your answer duh.
                                That sounds like the most vile sandwich ever, jam and peanut butter don't go together....

Comment

Working...
                                X