Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: 8th chevron

  1. #1
    Lieutenant Colonel Jedi_Master_Bra'tac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Location
    University of Nottingham
    Posts
    3,838

    Default 8th chevron

    Ok i know that the 8th chevron adds an extra distance calculation but why, 6 points and point of origin should be enough, does any one know why it needs 8 as in points in a three dimetional space?

  2. #2

    Thor Re: 8th chevron

    It adds the galaxy distance calculation. In order for the system to work the 6 points have to be measured by predetermined points in space around the outside of the galaxy so the intersecting lines can be plotted. the default is that it automatically uses the home system of coordinates for the galaxy you are in, the additional chevron (which is actually the seventh when you are dialing because PoO still has to be last) tells it to calculate using the coordinates for the other galaxy.

  3. #3
    Staff Sergeant Kaloo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    78

    Default Re: 8th chevron

    let's sift ths to a 2D plane for simplity.

    We ave 2 sheets of grid paper. Each one is divided into the normal 4 sections. Now (3,2) could be that point in eith sheet, so we add another thing to explain which one

  4. #4
    First Lieutenant tony's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: 8th chevron

    peanutbutter + Jelly = sandwich

    there is your answer duh.
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...glia/jaffa.jpg


    See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

  5. #5
    First Lieutenant cobraR478's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by spg_1983
    It adds the galaxy distance calculation. In order for the system to work the 6 points have to be measured by predetermined points in space around the outside of the galaxy so the intersecting lines can be plotted. the default is that it automatically uses the home system of coordinates for the galaxy you are in, the additional chevron (which is actually the seventh when you are dialing because PoO still has to be last) tells it to calculate using the coordinates for the other galaxy.
    Have they ever explained why three intersecting lines are needed, and not two?

    That has sort of never made sense to me.

  6. #6

    Thor Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraR478
    Have they ever explained why three intersecting lines are needed, and not two?

    That has sort of never made sense to me.
    because space a 3 dimensional reality, not 2. With only 2 line you can calculate the distance on only one plane.

  7. #7
    Major General immhotep's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New London, Pegasus Theta site
    Posts
    12,052

    Default Re: 8th chevron

    but the gate doesnt travel to other planes well unless the 9th cheveron theory is correct??

    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me





  8. #8

    Thor Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by immhotep
    but the gate doesnt travel to other planes well unless the 9th cheveron theory is correct??
    plane as in mathematic calculations, not planes of reality. you can only calculate along an x and y axis with only two lines, you need a third line for z

  9. #9
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,439

    Default Re: 8th chevron

    First of all, its TV and second, I don't think they really thought it out, they've basically made it into an area code...

  10. #10
    First Lieutenant cobraR478's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by spg_1983
    because space a 3 dimensional reality, not 2. With only 2 line you can calculate the distance on only one plane.
    Sorry, but that doesn't really make sense. If you have two intersecting lines, why do you need a third one?

    EDIT: It would have made more sense to make the address of a planet represent a vector so it doesn't depend on constellations, but its a TV show, so I suppose its not going to make sense.

  11. #11

    Thor Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraR478
    Sorry, but that doesn't really make sense. If you have two intersecting lines, why do you need a third one?

    EDIT: It would have made more sense to make the address of a planet represent a vector so it doesn't depend on constellations, but its a TV show, so I suppose its not going to make sense.
    ok take a piece of paper and draw two intersecting lines on it. The lines come together at a single point. Now hold that paper up in front of your eyes. the piece of paper represents one single plane in space, a measurement based on front to back measurment and side to side. However in space things also have to be measure up and down, thats the z axis. With out that additional measurement the point in space that the planet is at could be anywhere along that vertical axis. Its hard to explain over a message board.

    And the constelations thing was just in the movie and worked when it only went to one place. Its never been carried over or utilized in the show.

  12. #12
    First Lieutenant cobraR478's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by spg_1983
    However in space things also have to be measure up and down, thats the z axis.
    If two lines intersect in 3 dimensional space, that is still going to give you a single point, not an entire line. You can find the intersection of two lines in three dimensional space pretty easily. (if they have one, not likely however)

    Two lines intersecting is just as good as three lines intersecting.


    here, I have attached a picture of two intersecting line segments. Explain why thats not as good at three intersecting line segments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cobraR478; March 21st, 2006 at 04:24 PM.

  13. #13

    Thor Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraR478
    If two lines intersect in 3 dimensional space, that is still going to give you a single point, not an entire line.

    Two lines intersecting is just as good as three lines intersecting.
    no it does give you an entire line. if you have a 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot cube and make two lines cross in the middle a foot from each wall you still havent specified how far from the top or bottom of the box the point is so it could be any point along the line that exists 1 foot from each side

  14. #14
    Major LORD MONK's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SOCAL
    Posts
    2,813

    Default Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by spg_1983
    It adds the galaxy distance calculation. In order for the system to work the 6 points have to be measured by predetermined points in space around the outside of the galaxy so the intersecting lines can be plotted. the default is that it automatically uses the home system of coordinates for the galaxy you are in, the additional chevron (which is actually the seventh when you are dialing because PoO still has to be last) tells it to calculate using the coordinates for the other galaxy.
    I am going with this one. It adds for distance.
    *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
    *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
    *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
    *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
    *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
    *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
    *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

  15. #15
    First Lieutenant cobraR478's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by spg_1983
    no it does give you an entire line. if you have a 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot cube and make two lines cross in the middle a foot from each wall you still havent specified how far from the top or bottom of the box the point is so it could be any point along the line that exists 1 foot from each side
    look at the attachment I added in my previous post, and tell me why those two intersecting lines dont give you a point.

  16. #16

    Thor Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraR478
    look at the attachment I added in my previous post, and tell me why those two intersecting lines dont give you a point.
    Where is the point along the x axis? This isnt something im making up, this is simple mathematic fact. in order to plot a single point in 3 dimensional space you need three lines intersecting. left to right, front to back, and up and down. Otherwise the point is just a point on a single plane and could exist anywhere along the unspecified axis.

  17. #17
    First Lieutenant cobraR478's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by spg_1983
    Where is the point along the x axis? This isnt something im making up, this is simple mathematic fact. in order to plot a single point in 3 dimensional space you need three lines intersecting. left to right, front to back, and up and down. Otherwise the point is just a point on a single plane and could exist anywhere along the unspecified axis.
    Each line has an x,y, and z component.

    I am starting to think you are just screwing with me.... this isn't a difficult concept.
    Last edited by cobraR478; March 21st, 2006 at 04:36 PM.

  18. #18

    Thor Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraR478
    Each line has an x,y, and z component.

    I am starting to think you are just screwing with me.... this isn'st a difficult concept.
    Im not screwing with you, and you are right this isn't difficult it is a basic geometric concept. The diagram you showed is a perfect example. each line can only be on the x, y, or z axis as a measurement. the diagram you showed has two lines intersecting. one is the y axis, one is the z axis, so where does the point fall on the y axis? I can not explain it any clearer than that over the internet, but this isn't a subjective opinion thing. this is a proven mathematical principal. If you still can't get it go find a math teacher to explain it in real life.

  19. #19
    First Lieutenant cobraR478's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by spg_1983
    Im not screwing with you, and you are right this isn't difficult it is a basic geometric concept. The diagram you showed is a perfect example. each line can only be on the x, y, or z axis as a measurement. the diagram you showed has two lines intersecting. one is the y axis, one is the z axis, so where does the point fall on the y axis? I can not explain it any clearer than that over the internet, but this isn't a subjective opinion thing. this is a proven mathematical principal. If you still can't get it go find a math teacher to explain it in real life.
    The lines I showed you have x, y, and z components. They exist in three-space. The place where they intersect will give you a point... what is so hard about this?
    Last edited by cobraR478; March 21st, 2006 at 04:55 PM.

  20. #20

    Thor Re: 8th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraR478
    The lines I showed you have x, y, and z components. They exist in three-space. The place where they intersect will give you a point... what is so hard about this?
    They dont have an x, y, and z component, it is only two lines, it is only two axii. Look Ive explained it several times, this isnt some subjective thing open for interpretation, it is a simple fact. You are wrong. If you don't get it go look it up in a math text book or have a teacher explain it to you.

Similar Threads

  1. who is the other chevron guy
    By TheWraith in forum SG-1 General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 26th, 2006, 03:01 PM
  2. The 8th Chevron
    By da_hippie in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 9th, 2006, 10:54 AM
  3. chevron
    By captain keys in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: October 20th, 2005, 03:49 PM
  4. 9th chevron?
    By True!Ancient in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 27th, 2005, 02:09 PM
  5. Chevron 9
    By mokurai in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 8th, 2005, 03:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •