Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: 8th chevron

Lieutenant Colonel Jedi_Master_Bra'tac's Avatar

Default 8th chevron

Ok i know that the 8th chevron adds an extra distance calculation but why, 6 points and point of origin should be enough, does any one know why it needs 8 as in points in a three dimetional space?

Thor Re: 8th chevron

It adds the galaxy distance calculation. In order for the system to work the 6 points have to be measured by predetermined points in space around the outside of the galaxy so the intersecting lines can be plotted. the default is that it automatically uses the home system of coordinates for the galaxy you are in, the additional chevron (which is actually the seventh when you are dialing because PoO still has to be last) tells it to calculate using the coordinates for the other galaxy.

Default Re: 8th chevron

let's sift ths to a 2D plane for simplity.

We ave 2 sheets of grid paper. Each one is divided into the normal 4 sections. Now (3,2) could be that point in eith sheet, so we add another thing to explain which one

peanutbutter + Jelly = sandwich

there is your answer duh.
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...glia/jaffa.jpg

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Quote Originally Posted by spg_1983
    It adds the galaxy distance calculation. In order for the system to work the 6 points have to be measured by predetermined points in space around the outside of the galaxy so the intersecting lines can be plotted. the default is that it automatically uses the home system of coordinates for the galaxy you are in, the additional chevron (which is actually the seventh when you are dialing because PoO still has to be last) tells it to calculate using the coordinates for the other galaxy.
    Have they ever explained why three intersecting lines are needed, and not two?

That has sort of never made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cobraR478
    Have they ever explained why three intersecting lines are needed, and not two?

That has sort of never made sense to me.
    because space a 3 dimensional reality, not 2. With only 2 line you can calculate the distance on only one plane.

but the gate doesnt travel to other planes well unless the 9th cheveron theory is correct??

You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Quote Originally Posted by immhotep
    but the gate doesnt travel to other planes well unless the 9th cheveron theory is correct??
    plane as in mathematic calculations, not planes of reality. you can only calculate along an x and y axis with only two lines, you need a third line for z

Major General

First of all, its TV and second, I don't think they really thought it out, they've basically made it into an area code...

because space a 3 dimensional reality, not 2. With only 2 line you can calculate the distance on only one plane.
    Sorry, but that doesn't really make sense. If you have two intersecting lines, why do you need a third one?

EDIT: It would have made more sense to make the address of a planet represent a vector so it doesn't depend on constellations, but its a TV show, so I suppose its not going to make sense.

Sorry, but that doesn't really make sense. If you have two intersecting lines, why do you need a third one?

EDIT: It would have made more sense to make the address of a planet represent a vector so it doesn't depend on constellations, but its a TV show, so I suppose its not going to make sense.
    ok take a piece of paper and draw two intersecting lines on it. The lines come together at a single point. Now hold that paper up in front of your eyes. the piece of paper represents one single plane in space, a measurement based on front to back measurment and side to side. However in space things also have to be measure up and down, thats the z axis. With out that additional measurement the point in space that the planet is at could be anywhere along that vertical axis. Its hard to explain over a message board.

And the constelations thing was just in the movie and worked when it only went to one place. Its never been carried over or utilized in the show.

However in space things also have to be measure up and down, thats the z axis.
    If two lines intersect in 3 dimensional space, that is still going to give you a single point, not an entire line. You can find the intersection of two lines in three dimensional space pretty easily. (if they have one, not likely however)

Two lines intersecting is just as good as three lines intersecting.

here, I have attached a picture of two intersecting line segments. Explain why thats not as good at three intersecting line segments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cobraR478; March 21st, 2006 at 04:24 PM.

If two lines intersect in 3 dimensional space, that is still going to give you a single point, not an entire line.

Two lines intersecting is just as good as three lines intersecting.
    no it does give you an entire line. if you have a 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot cube and make two lines cross in the middle a foot from each wall you still havent specified how far from the top or bottom of the box the point is so it could be any point along the line that exists 1 foot from each side

I am going with this one. It adds for distance.
    *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
    *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
    *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
    *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
    *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
    *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
    *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

no it does give you an entire line. if you have a 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot cube and make two lines cross in the middle a foot from each wall you still havent specified how far from the top or bottom of the box the point is so it could be any point along the line that exists 1 foot from each side
    look at the attachment I added in my previous post, and tell me why those two intersecting lines dont give you a point.

look at the attachment I added in my previous post, and tell me why those two intersecting lines dont give you a point.
    Where is the point along the x axis? This isnt something im making up, this is simple mathematic fact. in order to plot a single point in 3 dimensional space you need three lines intersecting. left to right, front to back, and up and down. Otherwise the point is just a point on a single plane and could exist anywhere along the unspecified axis.

Where is the point along the x axis? This isnt something im making up, this is simple mathematic fact. in order to plot a single point in 3 dimensional space you need three lines intersecting. left to right, front to back, and up and down. Otherwise the point is just a point on a single plane and could exist anywhere along the unspecified axis.
    Each line has an x,y, and z component.

I am starting to think you are just screwing with me.... this isn't a difficult concept.
    Last edited by cobraR478; March 21st, 2006 at 04:36 PM.

Each line has an x,y, and z component.

I am starting to think you are just screwing with me.... this isn'st a difficult concept.
    Im not screwing with you, and you are right this isn't difficult it is a basic geometric concept. The diagram you showed is a perfect example. each line can only be on the x, y, or z axis as a measurement. the diagram you showed has two lines intersecting. one is the y axis, one is the z axis, so where does the point fall on the y axis? I can not explain it any clearer than that over the internet, but this isn't a subjective opinion thing. this is a proven mathematical principal. If you still can't get it go find a math teacher to explain it in real life.

Im not screwing with you, and you are right this isn't difficult it is a basic geometric concept. The diagram you showed is a perfect example. each line can only be on the x, y, or z axis as a measurement. the diagram you showed has two lines intersecting. one is the y axis, one is the z axis, so where does the point fall on the y axis? I can not explain it any clearer than that over the internet, but this isn't a subjective opinion thing. this is a proven mathematical principal. If you still can't get it go find a math teacher to explain it in real life.
    The lines I showed you have x, y, and z components. They exist in three-space. The place where they intersect will give you a point... what is so hard about this?
    Last edited by cobraR478; March 21st, 2006 at 04:55 PM.

The lines I showed you have x, y, and z components. They exist in three-space. The place where they intersect will give you a point... what is so hard about this?
    They dont have an x, y, and z component, it is only two lines, it is only two axii. Look Ive explained it several times, this isnt some subjective thing open for interpretation, it is a simple fact. You are wrong. If you don't get it go look it up in a math text book or have a teacher explain it to you.