Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No More Deus Ex Machina Please (Spoilers for all seasons)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No More Deus Ex Machina Please (Spoilers for all seasons)

Season 1: SG-1 wins out over Apophis through their own ingenuity. C4 planted throughout the ships, plus a few grenades to disable the shields, and the attack fleet is no more.

Season 2: Teal'c and General Hammond save the day by flying a fighter through the Stargate and taking out the gun emplacements that are preventing SG-1's escape.

Season 3: SG-1 destroys Thor's ship in order to save the Earth from the Replicators. Carter uses the newly completed O'Neill class ship to destroy the Replicators threatening the Asgard homeworld. Jack and Teal'c destroy the advanced replicator on the Russian sub, and are rescued by Thor before the sub is destroyed.

Season 4: Carter uses technobabble to destroy a star, thus eliminating a Goa'uld fleet.

Season 5: SG-1 rescues Thor from Anubis. Magic Asgard transporters save the day.

Season 6: Oma prevents Daniel from destroying Anubis. Abydos is destroyed, but it's ok because Oma ascends everyone to a higher state of existence, thus cheapening their deaths, softening the impact of the event, and making Anubis seem like less of a threat.

Season 7: Magic Ancient super-weapon destroys Anubis's fleet and saves the day.

Season 8: Magic Ancient super-weapon destroys the Replicators and saves the day.

Season 9: SG-1 doesn't find the next magic Ancient super-weapon in time to destroy the Ori fleet, but it certainly appears to be their only hope.

I miss the days when SG-1 was actually able to do things without depending on those magic Ancient super-weapons that seem to be lying under every other rock in the Milky Way galaxy. I could even tolerate those magic Asgard transporters that always seemed to save our heroes after the season three finale, but Deus Ex Machina is nobody's friend.

In season 10, I'd like to see us defeat the Ori, not through magic ancient super-weapons, but creatively, and using our own resources and abilities.
    Last edited by Scyld; 13 March 2006, 03:49 PM.

Not going to happen.
    That would require that the writers will let our side use the available tech creatively and not dumb us down to show how greate the ori are.
    esides the DEM is already build into the plotline, merlins ascended killer weapon, the holy grail.

Comment

plus there is no guarentee we will find it this season
      http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
      The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

I agree with Scyld.Like Landry said we'll use our strenghts against their weaknesses.
        4 easy steps how to make people hate you
        Spoiler:
        Ignore them
        Spoiler:
        talk bad about them behind their backs
        Spoiler:
        Use lots of spoiler tags
        Spoiler:
        Your name has to be Rihard Gaberšcek

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
          Not going to happen.
          That would require that the writers will let our side use the available tech creatively and not dumb us down to show how greate the ori are.
          esides the DEM is already build into the plotline, merlins ascended killer weapon, the holy grail.
          I think it would be very amusing if the Holy Grail turned out to be a useless normal amulet.

Comment

The Holy Grail will only take out the Ori. Not the Prior;'s and the Warriors and ships. We are going to have to fight them.
            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

I love the Magic Ancient Super-weapons xD !!! haha
              Hallowed are the Ori !!!
              Follow the path of the Enlightment !
              Why Sg1 !!?? Why not me!!?? Why !!??

Comment

Maybe we use our resources to tell the people the truth about the ori . So need to go kill trillions of people.

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                  The Holy Grail will only take out the Ori. Not the Prior;'s and the Warriors and ships. We are going to have to fight them.
                  Agreed! That is, unless they all give up after we destroy their "Gods". Yeah, I know, fat chance of that happening.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I say we get rid of the Stargate!!!!!! How stupid is it that they can get from one planet to another just by walking through it?!?!?!?!?

IT'S TEH WEAKEST PLOT DEVICE EVAR!!!!!11!!ONE!1!

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                      Agreed! That is, unless they all give up after we destroy their "Gods". Yeah, I know, fat chance of that happening.
                      Unless the Priors need the Ori to 'power' them up. If they do, then squelching the Ori would leave them a bit stuck when planetary populations tell them to take their Books of Origin and get stuffed. Threats aren't much use if you can't carry them out. Besides, imagine the crisis of confidence they'd all have if their gods suddenly went 'poofff'.

Of course, there are those monster Ori ships full of fanatically committed followers bearing nasty pointy weapons that spit unpleasant energy bolts at people. That could still be a bit of a problem. If the whizzy Merlin-device (assuming they find it!) does take out the Ori, we at least have to fall back on our ordinary technology to deal with those. (I hope). Hopefully we can avoid things getting a bit to 'Greek Play Magic Resolution' on that score. Please. Pretty Please.

Originally posted by scyld
                      In season 10, I'd like to see us defeat the Ori, not through magic ancient super-weapons, but creatively, and using our own resources and abilities.
                      It's a good point, this - and I feel the same way; at least to a degree. While the effects were incredible in Lost City Pt 2 and Reckoning Pt 2, it does tend to detract from the tension if we keep on having all these convenient Ancient super-weapons lying about; and all we have to fret about is 'will they find it in time and will they make it work?'

Until 'Camelot', they always did (on both counts). Nice to see they haven't managed it this time around. I just hope that the weapon (assuming it turns up) only covers half the threat - or less. Time for some good old fashioned 'gritty determination and jerry-rigging with what we've got'. I think!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X