X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir John Hurt diagnosed with cancer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33151261

Veteran actor Sir John Hurt has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

The 75-year-old, who was Oscar-nominated for his role in 1980's The Elephant Man, said he would continue working despite the diagnosis.

"I am undergoing treatment and am more than optimistic about a satisfactory outcome, as indeed is the medical team," he told the Press Association.

Hurt, who starred as the War Doctor in Doctor Who in 2013, added he would continue with his professional work.

"I am continuing to focus on my professional commitments and will shortly be recording Jeffrey Bernard Is Unwell (one of life's small ironies!) for BBC Radio 4," he said.

The actor said wanted to announce his diagnosis to the press because he had "always been open about the way in which I conduct my life and in that spirit I would like to make a statement".

The prolific actor is due to be seen on the small screen in November in new Sky Atlantic drama The Last Panthers, opposite Samantha Morton.

He also has roles in some seven other projects, according to IMDB, including the upcoming Tarzan film, due for release next year.

Sir John was seen last year in the Dwayne Johnson film Hercules, and also appeared as The War Doctor in the iconic Day of the Doctor episode, for the show's 50th anniversary in 2013.

Among his other best-known roles include 1978's Midnight Express, for which he was also Oscar nominated and the 1975 TV series The Naked Civil Servant, which earned him a Bafta TV award.

He was also Bafta nominated for his role in Ridley Scott's Alien - the film which famously saw the titular creature burst out of the actor's stomach and has often been described as one of cinema's most memorable moments.

But many consider Sir John's performance as the deformed Joseph Merrick in The Elephant Man as his greatest role.

He was knighted earlier this year for his services to drama.

_________

I wish him a speedy recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
      Sir John Hurt diagnosed with cancer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33151261

Veteran actor Sir John Hurt has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

The 75-year-old, who was Oscar-nominated for his role in 1980's The Elephant Man, said he would continue working despite the diagnosis.

"I am undergoing treatment and am more than optimistic about a satisfactory outcome, as indeed is the medical team," he told the Press Association.

Hurt, who starred as the War Doctor in Doctor Who in 2013, added he would continue with his professional work.

"I am continuing to focus on my professional commitments and will shortly be recording Jeffrey Bernard Is Unwell (one of life's small ironies!) for BBC Radio 4," he said.

The actor said wanted to announce his diagnosis to the press because he had "always been open about the way in which I conduct my life and in that spirit I would like to make a statement".

The prolific actor is due to be seen on the small screen in November in new Sky Atlantic drama The Last Panthers, opposite Samantha Morton.

He also has roles in some seven other projects, according to IMDB, including the upcoming Tarzan film, due for release next year.

Sir John was seen last year in the Dwayne Johnson film Hercules, and also appeared as The War Doctor in the iconic Day of the Doctor episode, for the show's 50th anniversary in 2013.

Among his other best-known roles include 1978's Midnight Express, for which he was also Oscar nominated and the 1975 TV series The Naked Civil Servant, which earned him a Bafta TV award.

He was also Bafta nominated for his role in Ridley Scott's Alien - the film which famously saw the titular creature burst out of the actor's stomach and has often been described as one of cinema's most memorable moments.

But many consider Sir John's performance as the deformed Joseph Merrick in The Elephant Man as his greatest role.

He was knighted earlier this year for his services to drama.

_________

I wish him a speedy recovery.
      As do I.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Myself likewise.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

And me.
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

'Son and hair': Sean Pertwee looks just like his Doctor Who star father Jon as he posts hilarious mocked-up Instagram picture

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ather-Jon.html

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Similar? More like identical.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/dwm-488...stic-74358.htm
                DWM #488

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/bbc-ame...down-74363.htm
                A tongue in cheek breakdown of BBCAs teaser trailer

Comment

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-...alia-74411.htm
                  Doctor Who festival heading to Australia

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...hate-74393.htm
                  Moffat on dealing with showrunner hate

Comment

An intriguing tweet from BBC Worldwide:

BBC Worldwide
                    @BBCWPress
                    We're hoping to release more classic Doctor Who and we'll let you know when we have news.

Comment

River Song Joins Big Finish

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/06...ig-finish.html

Big Finish has announced production of a new range of boxsets, featuring heroes and monsters from the recent era of Doctor Who, including River Song, the Judoon, the Sycorax and the Weeping Angels.

Big Finish Productions have been producing audio dramas based on the original Doctor Who series since 1999. However their access to characters from the post 2005 series has been restricted until now. In February it was announced that they had gained the rights to use characters from UNIT, and the latest deal expands their range further.

The new wave of adventures, due next year, will feature Alex Kingston as River Song, who first appeared in 2008's Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. River will be stepping into the era of the Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) for Doctor Who: Doom Coalition 2, alongside Liv Chenka (Nicola Walker) and Helen Sinclair (Hattie Morahan).

Producer David Richardson says
                      The idea of River meeting previous Doctors was actually proposed by Steven Moffat, and it's just irresistible, isn't it? Alex embraced the idea of returning to the role, and so she will be starring in no less than two box sets next year. And yes, we are still pinching ourselves!
                      River will then return later in 2016 in Doctor Who: The Diary of River Song, an epic four-hour adventure that takes River across space and time, seeking out the secret rulers of the universe. Paul McGann will reprise the role of the Eighth Doctor in the final instalment.

The New Series adventures will continue in Doctor Who: The Churchill Years, in which Ian McNeice returns as the fromer British Prime Minister Winston Churchill. In the four-hour saga, Churchill relates a number of encounters with the Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors in his memoirs, battling alien incursions, metamorphosing creatures... and a Dalek! The stories are told by Ian McNeice, supported by a full cast of guest actors, including Danny Horn as Kazran Sardick, in a story taking place within the 2010 special A Christmas Carol.

Executive producer Nicholas Briggs says
                      Ian has played Churchill in just four episode on TV, and yet it feels like it was many more. It was such a brilliant, definitive performance, and how wonderful that we will be continuing Churchill's adventures with the Doctor on audio.
                      Finally, the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Doctors will face a new generation of monsters in Doctor Who: Classic Doctors, New Monsters, a brand new, four-story run featuring creatures from the New Series. Peter Davison takes on the Weeping Angels, Colin Baker encounters the Judoon, Sylvester McCoy will meet the Sycorax... and Paul McGann will face a new clone batch of Sontarans on the edge of the Time War.

Executive Producer Jason Haigh-Ellery says
                      It's the ultimate mash-up, and we have some great scripts lined up for these landmark stories. There is no doubt that 2016 is going to be a brilliant year for Big Finish!
                      All four boxsets will be released across 2016, and are available to pre-order - http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/bf27june

_________

We've been discussing the news over on the Big Finish thread - http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...2#post14361612

Comment

YES! I can't wait for River stories with the previous Doctors. That is the most awesome idea ever!

Comment

Well, I'm excited...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/rachel-...nale-74487.htm
                            Rachel Talalay back to direct this seasons finale

Comment

Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi teases season 9: Get an exclusive first look
                              The Scottish actor talks about working with 'talented tornado' Maisie Williams
                              by Clark Collis
                              Posted July 2 2015 — 11:00 AM EDT

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/01...xclusive-photo

Is Peter Capaldi freaking out about losing his Comic-Con virginity at the Doctor Who panel in Hall H? What can he tell us about the still-being-filmed new season of the British science fiction show (which premieres on BBC America this fall)? And how did he find working with Who guest star Maisie Williams, of Game of Thrones fame? The Scottish actor took some precious time out of his schedule to exclusively answer our queries.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Are you looking forward to Comic-Con?
                              PETER CAPALDI: Very much. Comic-Con is so legendary, so a great thrill to be invited along.

You told me last year that, as a child, you were always more intrigued than frightened by Doctor Who. But are you nervous at all about appearing in front of 7,000 people at the Doctor Who panel?
                              Very nervous. Don’t think I’ve ever ever stood in front of 7,000 people in my life. But if 7,000 people want to see us, it would be rude not to turn up.

If you were going to walk the Comic-Con floor disguised as a monster from Doctor Who, or as anything or anyone else, what or who would it be?
                              A white walker from Game of Thrones. Or, from Doctor Who, a Menoptra.

Could you tease the two-part premiere?
                              It places the Doctor in a conflict that is central to his being, as well as containing some subtle tributes to the ’60s, and truly wonderful guest performances.

What can you tell us about the exclusive photograph from the premiere (see above)?
                              The photo shows the Doctor about to make a mistake that has cataclysmic repercussions.

How is the Doctor different this season from last?
                              He’s throwing himself into life with a newfound hunger for adventure. He’s in pursuit of joy and grabbing every thrill that he can along the way. But I sense him running from something, that even he does not yet understand.

Tell us about the villains and monsters the Doctor will be encountering this season?
                              There is an epic sweep to this season and I think the villains and monsters reflect that. Great new ones, brilliant old ones, and some very scary creatures looming in stories with real emotional ambition.

And Missy?
                              In the hands of Michelle Gomez, Missy is more magnificently bad than ever before.

Maisie Williams is one of the new season’s guest stars. How was working with her?
                              Maisie is fantastic. A sharp, talented tornado. As an 18-year-old, she has taught me many new words and expressions. All I’ll say about her character is she shifts in cosmic ways.

How would you describe the relationship between your Doctor and Jenna Coleman’s Clara this season?
                              They’ve suddenly realized that they are the most fortunate people in all of time and space and are hellbent on adventure. Jenna continues to deliver a beautifully nuanced, complex, and funny performance that marks her out as one of the best companions ever.

Jenna had planned on leaving last season before changing her mind. Will these be her last shows?
                              I hope not.

An edited version of this interview ran in Entertainment Weekly issue #1371-1372, on newsstands Friday, July 3.

Comment

I like the part about Clara and him realizing how fortunate they are. It gives me hope that I'm gonna like this season a lot more than I liked the last one.
                                Also, "the Doctor is placed in a conflict central to his being"? When is he ever not?

Comment

Working...
                                X