X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lethbridge-Stewart: The Showstoppers
    Friday, 29 April, 2016 - Reported by Chuck Foster

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/04...416180008.html

Candy Jar Books have released the cover art for the next book in their Lethbridge-Stewart series, The Showstoppers.

The Showstoppers

Written by Jonathan Cooper
    Cover by Richard Young

‘Nuzzink in ze vorld can schtop me now!’

There’s a new TV show about to hit the airwaves, but Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart won’t be tuning in. With the future of the Fifth Operational Corps in doubt he’s got enough to worry about, but a plea from an old friend soon finds Lethbridge-Stewart and Anne Travers embroiled in a plot far more fantastical than anything on the small screen.

Can charismatic star Aubrey Mondegreene really be in two places at the same time? What lengths will ailing entertainment mogul Billy Lovac go to in order to reach his audience? And is luckless journalist Harold Chorley really so desperate that he’ll buy into a story about Nazi conspiracies from a tramp wearing a tin foil hat?

There’s something very rotten at the heart of weekend television, and it isn’t all due to shoddy scripts and bad special effects.

Shaun Russell, head of publishing at Candy Jar Books, said:
    Richard is well-known for his photo realistic work. Watching him painstakingly create his artwork with thousands of dots is incredibly impressive. His design for The Showstoppers really evokes the early Target covers.

Richard Young
    said:
    Doctor Who has been a big part of my life since I was a kid. The classic series is extremely close to my heart and I always wanted to draw a cover for the Target books... but they didn't like my style when I was ten. So to have the chance to contribute a cover for a book featuring one of the most iconic characters of Doctor Who is not only a huge honour but the realisation of a thirty-four-year old dream.

I had fun flexing my Photoshop muscles for the (
    free book) The Black Eggs of Khufu cover, but I jumped at the chance to return to my roots and work on a hand drawn cover, echoing the wonderfully surreal Kubrick movie.

The movie in question is Dr Strangelove Or: How to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, with the book echoing the same world; writer Jonathan Cooper commented:
    I’ve always been a fan of Dr Strangelove and Doctor Who, so when Candy Jar Books asked me to meld the two together into a Lethbridge-Stewart novel, I could not resist. Who would?

The book also features an introduction by David George, son of Peter George, focusing on the conspiracy theories that tie Dr Strangelove to the Kennedy assassination.

The Showstoppers is the second release for 2016, following on from Moon Blink by Sadie Miller.

To help pave the way for the new series of books, Beast of Fang Rock will be available
    for free on Kindle for three days from Saturday 30th April. Andy Frankham-Allen, range editor of the Lethbridge-Stewart novels, said:
    Both Moon Blink and The Showstoppers are strong Anne Travers stories, and since Beast of Fang Rock really introduced her to the range, we thought it would be nice to offer up this book as a free chance for the uninitiated to catch up on her back story.

The usual discounted pre-order bundles will be on offer from Candy Jar, with a new subscription deal for those wishing to get six books for the price of five.

Lethbridge-Stewart: The Showstoppers by Jonathan Cooper is due to be released soon. It can now be pre-ordered (individually, or as part of a bundle/subscription) from
    Candy Jar Books.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Doctor Who spinoff Class: Name of the first episode - and Katherine Kelly's character - revealed
      We're even more excited for the BBC Three show.
      By Ben Lee

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...name-revealed/

Piece by piece, we're learning more about Doctor Who?'s exciting new spinoff Class.

Today, Katherine Kelly shared the title of the first episode on Instagram - as well as the name of her character.

That's right, episode one will be called 'The Prom'. And Kelly is playing Miss Quill, who has previously been described as a "teacher and powerful new presence" at Coal Hill School.

From Patrick Ness, Class will debut on BBC Three later this year, before a terrestrial airing on BBC One.

It also stars Mr Selfridge actor Greg Austin, newcomers Sophie Hopkins and Vivian Oparah, and The Aliens' Fady Elsayed.

Steven Moffat has described the show as "dark and sexy" and compared it to a British Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with school kids battling supernatural forces.?

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Barry Howard 1937-2016
        Friday, 29 April, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/04...1937-2016.html

The actor Barry Howard has died at the age of 78.

Barry Howard played Oliver Barnes, a member of the Sliver Cloak gang, in the 2010 story The End of Time.

The actor was best known for playing the professional dancer Barry Stuart-Hargreaves in the BBC Comedy Hi-Di-Hi, a role he played in seven series from 1980-1986.

Other roles included parts in Terry and June, You Rang, M'Lord?, Dad and he played Danny Jackson in the ITV comedy The House of Windsor.

Howard, who lived in Poole in the south of England, was also a veteran of pantomime shows, and regularly appeared alongside Are You Being Served? star John Inman as the ugly sisters.

Comment

Doctor Who: BBC says new showrunner Chris Chibnall is "exploring" new ways of writing the series
          Could a US-style writers' room be coming?
          By Justin Harp

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...ng-the-series/

The BBC has confirmed that new Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall is "exploring" new ways to write the series.

One suggestion is for Doctor Who to adopt a US-style writers' room, where Chibnall would head a group of scribes in hashing out storylines for each series together.

Under the current system used by Steven Moffat (and previously used by former showrunner Russell T. Davies - Alan), the showrunner develops storylines and episode concepts that he either writes himself or hands off to others.

A BBC spokesperson told the Radio Times: "It's still very early days and no fixed model has been decided upon yet.

"Chris Chibnall as the new showrunner will write his own episodes and is currently exploring different ways of working with new and established writers on the show."

BBC officials are said to have already met with union officials to develop a workable plan to potentially enable a Doctor Who writers' room.

"If it's what the BBC wants and it's what the writers want it then it's fine by us," former Writers' Guild of Great Britain general secretary Bernie Corbett said.

There's still a way to go before such a change would come into effect on Doctor Who.

Steven Moffat is currently plotting series 10 to air in 2017 - marking his swansong as Doctor Who showrunner.

Moffat is responsible for introducing new companion Pearl Mackie, before handing over the franchise to Chris Chibnall.

Comment

I was just reading that very article, and I was genuinely surprised that that's not what they already do. Be interesting to see how it affects the overall storytelling, then.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              I was just reading that very article, and I was genuinely surprised that that's not what they already do. Be interesting to see how it affects the overall storytelling, then.
              Indeed. It makes me wonder if there will be an on-going storyline arc in the 2018 series or if it's just Chris Chibnall's preferred method of writing on a show.

Comment

Vote for Your Favourite DWM Cover
                Thursday, 05 May, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/05...dwm-cover.html

Doctor Who Magazine celebrates its five hundredth edition later this month, and the publishers are conducting a poll to find the fans favourite cover.

The poll is being conducted in batches of 50 covers each day (each section will remain live for the duration of the poll) and you can vote for up to five covers from each section.

The 50 finalists will then be put into a final polling group so the overall winner can be determined before Issue 500 is published.

The first batch of 50 can be found here.

Comment

Doctor Who and Torchwood audio dramas set to continue until 2025
                  Big Finish have promised to make more audio dramas for at least another decade

By James Gill
                  Friday 6 May 2016 at 10:00AM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...med-until-2025

Whatever happens in the next ten years of your life, you can be sure of one thing: the Doctor will always be by your side.

Yes, audio drama producers Big Finish have confirmed that they have won the rights to continue making Doctor Who and Torchwood dramas until 2025. That's a whole decade's worth of adventures in time and space to look forward to.

The producers made their first Who audio drama in 1999, and recently reunited David Tennant and Catherine Tate for new stories featuring the Tenth Doctor and Donna. The episodes will be released later this month.

Big Finish executive producer – and voice of the Daleks – Nicholas Briggs said he was delighted that Who would continue for many more years.

"Doctor Who is my favourite thing,” he said. “It’s been with me all my life in one form or another. So it’s truly delightful for me that the good old BBC has given us permission to carry on space-time travelling.”

Big Finish produces Doctor Who and Torchwood under licence from BBC Worldwide, and have created episodes featuring the first Ten Doctors and War Doctor John Hurt.

The current licencing deal has been extended until 30th June 2025.

Executive producer Jason Haigh-Ellery said, “Thanks to the faith placed in Big Finish by the BBC we can look forward to many years of story progression and real character development for the Doctors and their companions. We are excited about what the future holds and look forward to the next decade of adventures travelling in time and space.”

Comment

Target Book Exhibition ft. Peter Capaldi - Doctor Who: The Fan Show
                    Published on 6 May 2016

We visited the launch of the Target Book Artwork Exhibition at the Cartoon Museum and asked some of the special guests what these covers meant to them. Let us know in the comments some of your favourite covers!

Comment

Don't ask me why, but apparently the cast of "Class" paid a visit to Benedict Cumberbatch on the set of "Sherlock" recently.

Hey! Maybe the Coal Hill governors are going to ask Sherlock Holmes to investigate the mysterious disappearance of their Ms. Oswald?
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

On the trail of Doctor Who in London
                        Huw Fullerton is taken behind the scenes of the BBC’s biggest show on a Time Lord-themed walking tour
                        By Huw Fullerton
                        Friday 6 May 2016 at 5:30PM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...-who-in-london

It’s pretty common knowledge that since Doctor Who’s revival in 2005, London is no longer the home of the UK’s best-known sci-fi import. While many a story is still set there, the hub of its production is based in South Wales, and the majority of filming is just Cardiff dressed up with a few tube signs now and then.

With all this in mind, I was curious to discover what a Doctor Who tour based in London (run by Brit Movie Tours) could still offer in a time when the Tardis barely lands in the city any more. Was there enough of the Time Lord in the capital to maintain interest for an entire tour?

As it turns out, there was. Picked up by a sonic screwdriver-wielding guide called Michael, our group was taken on a winding tour of (mostly central) London, spotting the backgrounds to iconic scenes and learning interesting facts along the way.

For example, we learned of the Yellowface criticisms leveled at Asian-themed Tom Baker episode The Talons of Weng-Chang, the re-use of footage from fellow BBC show the Apprentice to allow Daleks to fly around Canary Wharf in 2006 finale Doomsday, and the logistical difficulties that forced some Dalek operators to urinate down drains in Trafalgar Square. Not quite the image they project during their regular invasions of Earth.

And other moments in the tour brought us bang up to date as we visited the original settings for Coal Hill School, the longtime Doctor Who setting now getting its own spin-off in BBC3-exclusive drama Class.

So overall this was an interesting and painstakingly accurate tour, right down to when we were looking at a real Matt Smith or a robot version in any given scene (it's a long story) – but it might not be for everyone.

In reasons not entirely unrelated to the lack of filming for the current series in London, the tour pushes great emphasis on the classic series, which may meet mixed results. When polled the NuWho fans vastly outnumbered the classic aficionados in our group, and when our guide focused more heavily on original series episodes, it wasn’t hard to detect a certain restlessness among some of the party.

Perhaps for some, a trip to Cardiff might be in order after all (such a tour is offered by the same company), lest they miss out on the behind-the-scenes details they’re really interested in.

To find out more about the Doctor Who walking tour of London and book tickets, visit: britmovietours.com

Comment

Lethbridge-Stewart: The Lock-In
                          Saturday, 07 May, 2016 - Reported by Chuck Foster

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/05...516223008.html

Candy Jar Books has announced a new digital-only short story, The Lock-In, which is free to all those ordering the regular books in the 2016 range of Lethbridge-Stewart novels.

Candy Jar Books launched the fully licensed Lethbridge-Stewart series in February 2015, with Andy Frankham-Allen’s The Forgotten Son kicking off the venture in style. It was trailered by a free short story in the pages of Doctor Who Magazine, and every subsequent novel released throughout 2015 was accompanied by a free short story available direct from Candy Jar Books.

Head of Publishing, Shaun Russell says:
                          Our free short story incentive has proven to be very popular with our readers, and have met with many rave reviews, and so we’re very happy to announce that we’re continuing that incentive throughout 2016 with stories too intimate for the larger books.

The latest is The Lock-In by newcomer to the range, Sarah Groenewegen. Sarah was born in Sydney, Australia, but now lives in London. She has had essays published in various anthologies including the Hugo-nominated Queers Dig Time Lords. Most recently she contributed over twenty entries in 1,001 TV Shows You Must Watch Before You Die. Her short fiction has won awards (Scarlet Stiletto, 2002) and been published in Big Finish’s Doctor Who line, including the award winning Short Trips: Zodiac.

Sarah says:
                          I grew up with the Brig. I am of that Aussie generation who enjoyed multiple repeats of Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker stories, many of which included UNIT. Writing for Candy Jar has been fabulous, letting me dive into the character and bring to light some different facets of who he is. I loved exploring the relationship between him and Pearl, a slightly older woman who has a lasting effect on him and his life.

The Lock-In takes the form of a series of letters between Pearl and Sir Alistair, a man at the end of his life, as they reminisce over an adventure they shared just after he graduated from Sandhurst in 1956. It is a story of the impact one man can make, a story of perception of history and the importance of those who pass through our lives.

Range Editor Andy Frankham-Allen says:
                          As well as the usual romps, I thought it would be fun this year to use the short stories to explore the more intimate moments of our characters’ lives, the kinds of stories that would never work in a full length novel. Sue Hampton’s In His Kiss was the first of this new type of story, and Sarah’s is the second. I love what Sarah has done with her story, the personal tone to it all. So impressed was I, in fact, that one the back of this story Sarah is now writing a Lethbridge-Stewart novel for us.

The short stories now form part of a new initiative by Candy Jar Books to bring new talent into the worlds of Doctor Who. Frankham-Allen continues:
                          Short stories are a perfect testing ground for new, untried, authors. A way to introduce them to readers, who may not normally be willing to part with hard-earn money on authors they have not heard of. And, if the reception is positive, we then talk to these new authors about possible ideas for novels.

Shaun Russell agrees:
                          Candy Jar has always been about encouraging new authors, and we regularly publish novels by first-time authors, including the children’s favourite, Anthony Ormond, and World War II hero Eileen Younghusband. So it seems a natural thing to extend this to our Lethbridge-Stewart range. Continuing the work pioneered by such people as Andrew Cartmel and Peter Darvil-Evans in the late ’80s and early ’90s.

The Lock-In will be given free to every person who pre-orders the first of the new series of novels, Moon Blink by Sadie Miller, which is due to begin shipping 13th May. All subscribers will receive the short story automatically, as will those who purchase any of the bundles for 2016 series.

Comment

Michelle Gomez on her Doctor Who future and Missy's plans for new companion Bill
                            The Doctor Who actress talked Pearl Mackie's new character and her favourite Missy moment on the BAFTA TV Awards red carpet
                            By Sarah Doran
                            Sunday 8 May 2016 at 10:00PM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...companion-bill

She may have gone onto lose out on the Best Supporting Actress gong to This Is England '90's Chanel Cresswell but Doctor Who star Michelle Gomez was in high spirits on the BAFTA TV Awards red carpet.

"I'm so excited. I'm having a hard time stringing sentences together because I'm a bit kind of blown away, really. And grateful", she told RadioTimes.com. "I'm up there just pissing around [on Doctor Who] and that's also why I can't quite believe I'm here. I had so much fun."

Speaking of fun, what kind of evil fun would Missy get up to if she got her hands on new Doctor Who companion Bill?

I really am just a meat puppet, I'm not the one with the ideas, Steven Moffat is the genius so I don't know where he's headed with that or what Missy would do with her," said Gomez, before suggesting Missy would probably "just give her a big hug."

Missy's track record wouldn't suggest Bill's in for a cuddle from the Time Lady, though. Poor old Clara took enough flack from her between series eight and nine.

"D'you know what, this is very naughty because I love Jenna Coleman very much but I did think Missy probably quite enjoyed pushing her down that hole" Gomez laughed when asked to name her favourite of Missy's evil deeds. "Michelle didn't enjoy pushing Jenna down that hole but I think Missy did."

And now for the all-important question – has she been talking to the Doctor Who powers that be about a possible return in series 10?

"Might have done, might not have done", Gomez teased in her distinct Glaswegian tones, telling RadioTimes.com she certainly hoped to head off on another adventure in space and time.

"I hope so, I mean you just never know. They do keep their cards close to their chest."

Comment

Doctor Who: Another Teaser from John Barrowman… About Captain Jack Harkness?
                              by Leah Tedesco

https://doctorwhowatch.com/2016/05/0...jack-harkness/

The teasers and surprises just keep coming from Doctor Who and Torchwood star John Barrowman. Could we soon see Captain Jack Harkness return to television?

As the unofficial resident John Barrowman reporter, I am certainly being kept on my toes by him these days! In early March, he dropped a doozie of a teaser about something happening in relation to Torchwood. I waited patiently, poring over all of his Facebook videos for the reveal. Then, in mid April, it finally happened. The surprise was that he and his sister Carole were writing a Torchwood series for Titan Comics. Good news, indeed, but bittersweet. Things like comics and the Big Finish audio dramas are great, but I, along with countless other fans, have been pining for years to see Barrowman’s character Captain Jack Harkness return to the screen for some new adventures.

At that point, I figured that it was best not to hold my breath for such an appearance. While Barrowman has stated that it is “very silly” not to bring back Jack, he has also recently said that there are no plans to do so. Steven Moffat has talked about how bringing back characters like River Song and Jack Harkness requires very special events. While we recently saw River’s epic return in ‘The Husbands of River Song,’ the last time that we saw Jack grows ever more distant. I was resigned to him simply living on in print and audio form.

After that roller coaster of emotions, Barrowman was at it again on May 6th, stating that he will return to “Cardiff in about a week and a half, but [he’s] not telling [us] what for.”

Cardiff! They film Doctor Who in Cardiff! They will be filming the next Christmas special soon! Could they be bringing Jack back in a Christmas special like they did River? With Moffat having created the character, it would be a nice parting gift to fans as he steps down as showrunner.

Another glimmer of hope that we have recently been given is the bit of dialogue about him in ‘The Woman Who Lived.’
                              Me: That’s why you can’t travel with me. Our perspectives are too vast. Too far away.

Doctor: You’re not the first, you know. I did travel with another immortal once. Captain Jack Harkness.

Me: Who?

Doctor: He’ll get round to you eventually.

The last time that we saw Jack on Doctor Who was in the two part episode ‘The End of Time,’ and on Torchwood, the episode ‘The Blood Line.’

Comment

Series 9 Sonic Screwdriver to be released this summer
                                Thursday, 12 May, 2016 - Reported by Chuck Foster

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/05...516160008.html

Character have announced that they plan to release a toy version sonic screwdriver that made its debut during last year's series finale, Hell Bent:
                                After months of speculation it is now official, the Twelfth Doctor’s Second Sonic Screwdriver is to be part of the Character Options’ toy collection. The first images have been released with confirmation that the eagerly awaited Sonic will be on sale within weeks!

This new toy version is a faithful recreation of the current Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver which debuted in the Series 9 Episode ‘Hell Bent’. This is the first Sonic to have 4 light modes and four sound FX. The model has been designed as a replica from the Series 9 Prop.

As all fans would know, the Doctor has carried many Sonic Screwdrivers of various designs throughout his lifetimes, ranging from a simple silver coloured tube to more complex illuminated and articulated versions.

This second Sonic for the Twelfth Doctor, played by Peter Capaldi, was ‘gifted' to him by the TARDIS itself after his previous version was lost. Although we are yet to discover all of the new Sonic’s abilities, like the Doctor himself, it has become ever more complex and mysterious. This multipurpose tool features numerous settings and can open most locks, detect all manner of deadly rays, read bio-signs and generate Sonic waves of great power.

Alasdair Dewar, Head of Product Development at Character Options commented: “Since this Twelfth Doctor’s Second Sonic Screwdriver appeared at the end of series 9, we have been inundated by fan requests to produce a toy replica as part of our toy range. We are therefore very proud to finally be able to reveal it. The Sonic Screwdriver has historically been one of the most sought after toys for fans and collectors alike and we hope they will be as delighted with it as we are.”

The Character Options’ Twelfth Doctor’s Second Sonic Screwdriver is available from for pre-sale orders from Doctor Who merchandise retailers from today.

Comment

Working...
                                X