X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rushy View Post
    "Maybe they saw his work elsewhere."

How does his work elsewhere come into this? If he was less than competent, the BBC wouldn't have hired him. And since he is competent, we need to see how exactly he's going to handle running Doctor Who before we can start giving any real opinions about him.
    Having never seen his work, I don't know if he's competent or not. Plenty of utterly incompetent people get positions every day in all sorts of companies. Or he may be competent at one series, and not on another. J.J. Abrams for example. I don't consider him competent to watch Star Trek, let alone create content for it, but he did a great job with Star Wars: TFA, but that may have been Disney holding his leash.

And personal taste comes into it too. I'm well aware that the Ponds were very popular with most Who fans, but I couldn't stand her, nor was I fond of Matt Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Having never seen his work, I don't know if he's competent or not. Plenty of utterly incompetent people get positions every day in all sorts of companies. Or he may be competent at one series, and not on another. J.J. Abrams for example. I don't consider him competent to watch Star Trek, let alone create content for it, but he did a great job with Star Wars: TFA, but that may have been Disney holding his leash.

And personal taste comes into it too. I'm well aware that the Ponds were very popular with most Who fans, but I couldn't stand her, nor was I fond of Matt Smith.
      True. He may be incompetent. Key word being "may". Until Series 11 comes out, there is literally no way to determine the quality of his work as showrunner. Any sort of predictions are exactly that - predictions. Guesses. Theories. Nothing substantial.

You can dread his upcoming tenure all you want, but until we actually get to see his work as showrunner, anyone calling for him to be fired is a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I don't dread or look forward to it. I don't know enough about him to have an opinion.
        As far as people calling for his ouster, everyone has the right to their opinion.

On to more important matters...
        I see Netflix no longer has Doctor Who.. Hopefully, they renegotiate that soon.

Comment

Doctor Who Magazine - 496
          Thursday, 04 February, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/02...azine-496.html

Issue 496 of Doctor Who Magazine exclusively interviews Sir John Hurt, who played the mysterious incarnation of the Doctor in 2013's 50th Anniversary Special The Day of the Doctor – and asks him about his return in his brand new Doctor Who audio series.

What was John’s first reaction when he was offered the part of the Doctor’s secret incarnation?

Well, I said, ‘Doctor Who? I don’t think that’s really my sort of stuff.’ But my wife was listening, and when she heard that it was the 50th anniversary, she said, ‘You’ve got to be f***ing joking! You’re doing it! So I’ve really for her to thank. I’m really pleased I did it, because it opened up a whole new era for me. A whole new era.

On returning to the role for Big Finish's audio adventures, Hurt explains:

I was often asked, ‘Are you going to do anymore? And I said, ‘Well, I don’t think so. I’m not ruling it out, but unless somebody comes up with a real stonker of an idea that would involve him again… But the thing is that you can’t plan careers. You think, ‘That’s the way to play it’, but it’s not necessarily the case at all. If you follow your nose, that’s often the way to play it. And that’s exactly how I feel about this. I mean, I really have enjoyed every second of it. I mean it.

ALSO INSIDE ISSUE 496...

• ASK STEVEN MOFFAT
          Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat answers readers questions about some of the show's most recent episodes...
          • THE WAR DOCTOR ON AUDIO
          The writers of the exciting new audio series chat about writing for the Doctor's most dangerous incarnation.
          • A TRIBUTE TO ANTHONY READ
          Doctor Who Magazine pays tribute to the late Doctor Who writer and script editor, who died in 2015, with contributions from his colleagues and previously unpublished quotes from interviews conducted in 1990 and 2008.
          • PIXEL POWER
          Following the recent success of Lego Dimensions and Doctor Who Legacy, we uncover three decades’ worth of Doctor Who videogame projects.
          • NEVER FORGET?
          The Time Team continue their quest to watch every episode of Doctor Who in order with Matt Smith’s second story, The Beast Below.
          • WELCOME MY DEMONS
          This issue’s Fact of Fiction delves into the world of King John and Magna Carta in the 1983 Fifth Doctor story The King’s Demons.
          • A TRIP TO THE THEATRE
          The Doctor meets his old friend Harry Houdini and encounters some trouble at the theatre in a brand-new comic strip adventure, Theatre of Mind, written and illustrated by Roger Langridge.
          • STAR WARS vs DOCTOR WHO
          Jacqueline Rayner wonders if it’s possible to enjoy Star Wars: The Force Awakens without feeling like you’re cheating on Doctor Who, in her regular column, Relative Dimensions.
          • COMING SOON

DWM previews all the latest Doctor Who CD and book releases.

PLUS! All the latest official news, reviews, competitions and The DWM Crossword.

Doctor Who Magazine 496 is on sale from Thursday 4 February 2016, price £4.99.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Steven Moffat receives his OBE
            Thursday, 04 February, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/02...s-his-obe.html

Doctor Who Executive Producer Steven Moffat has been presented with his OBE for services to drama.

The award, announced in the 2015 Queen's Birthday Honours list, was presented to the writer by The Prince of Wales at a ceremony held at the Queen's London Residence, Buckingham Palace. It makes Moffat an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

Steven Moffat told the Scottish Daily Record he was delighted to recieve the award
            It was very thrilling and formal and slightly, slightly, just very slightly, like being back at school. But nicer because everyone got a prize.

Talking to other people before I came in, I kind of feel everyone's here for a better reason than me. I've got not one, but two dream jobs so to get this lovely thing for already indulging myself in public, seems like an excess of good fortune.

He said it will be sad to leave Doctor Who, but exciting to do something new.
            Ahead of me this year I have 14 Doctor Who and 3 Sherlock films, so the last thing I am doing is contemplating work beyond that.... The reason you end up leaving Doctor Who, much as we all love it, is because it's all year round. It's a really tough gig

The interview indicates Steven Moffat's last Doctor Who episode will be the 2017 Christmas special.

Full interview here.

I'd like to congratulate Mr. Moffat on his well deserved OBE and thank him so very much for all of his contributions to TV and especially to Doctor Who! He has been amazing at the helm of Doctor Who and it is a great shame to be losing him as the man in charge...but he'll always remain a Whovian just as he always was before he took charge back in 2010.
            Last edited by Alan; 05 February 2016, 02:17 AM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Doctor Who series 10 (a.k.a. series 36) to start filming in May - but new companion is yet to audition
              Exclusive: The BBC has yet to identify a replacement for Jenna Coleman, but sources say they are confident of finding the right person
              By Ben Dowell
              Monday 8 February 2016 at 3:21PM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...et-to-audition

Doctor Who series ten will begin filming in May, RadioTimes.com can reveal.

BBC bosses have decided upon a late spring deadline for the cameras to start rolling on Steven Moffat’s final series as showrunner – but are yet to choose a new companion, according to senior show sources. It is understood auditions for Jenna Coleman's replacement have still not begun.

And while it is believed that the production team is confident of filling the role with the “right person” according to the source, it is not yet clear whether this means that Peter Capaldi will spend any or all of series ten travelling time and space without someone to keep him company.

As RadioTimes.com revealed last month, Moffat will be overseeing at least 12 new episodes for series ten and a Christmas special which will air this year. It is believed he is also planning to bow out with a special episode for Christmas 2017. He will then be replaced as showrunner by Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall.

When asked about casting at the Radio Times Covers Party in January, Capaldi remained tight lipped:

"We’ve just had some brief talks about it, we haven’t actually chosen someone yet — that I know of,” he said. “I would expect that I would meet them before we finalised all that... we’re looking for someone different."

However he added that he would be training hard for the role, which he has admitted in the past has caused some strain on his joints.

In September he revealed that he has developed the same "knee complaint" as his predecessor Matt Smith, which he believes could be down to the physical challenges of playing the Doctor.

At the Covers Party he said: "You have to be fit to do Doctor Who and so I’ve just been getting myself ready and I’ll be getting into training to start the show. When we start, it’ll run for nine months and the most important thing is to be there and to be fit and be on top of everything.

"I’m looking forward to starting."

Comment

Doctor Who: Lucie Miller will return!
                13 February 2016

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doct...er-will-return

Eighth Doctor companion Lucie Miller, played by the highly acclaimed Sheridan Smith, will return in April for a brand new Short Trip adventure...

Revealed live on stage at Gallifrey One 27 by Big Finish Executive Producer Jason Haigh-Ellery, April's downloadable Doctor WhoShort Trips story will see the return of Sheridan Smith as Lucie Miller – reprising her role for the first time since 2011's Doctor Who: To The Death.

'I have missed Big Finish,' Sheridan says, 'And I have missed playing Lucie – I can't tell you, honestly, those years of playing her with Paul McGann were so much fun. I'm very grateful and happy to be back in the studio. The fans have been great, they've really taken to her, they write lovely messages to me on Twitter. I've missed her!'

Lucie Miller accompanied Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor through four series of Doctor Who stories for Big Finish - even getting name-checked in the Eighth Doctor's TV finale, The Night of the Doctor. The new story, Doctor Who: The Curse of the Fugue by Alice Cavender, pitches Lucie and the Doctor into events at an old people's home during Britain's Winter of Discontent.

For Short Trips producer Ian Atkins, it's a dream come true. 'I love what the creators of Lucie did with that character – someone you just so enjoyed travelling with as she saw the universe. She has a huge heart, bravery, and a quip for every occasion, and that range was what brought me to the Big Finish fold, years (as with many, many others) before I started working for them. So when I first got producership of the Short Trips range, and director Lisa Bowerman and I had a big “wish list” meeting, doing some Lucie Miller stories was top of that list. And that meant getting Sheridan on board.'

Since working with Big Finish, Sheridan has gone on to receive an OBE, a BAFTA for her performance in Mrs Biggs, two Laurence Oliver Awards for Legally Blonde and Flare Path, and acclaimed appearances in Cilla, Inside Number 9 and The C Word.

'And yet when the call came to come back and lock herself away in a recording booth in London,' enthused Ian, 'she couldn't have been kinder in working to find time in what is an insanely busy schedule. Her love and memory of the character couldn't be stronger, and within minutes of her arrival, Lucie was saving the day again. It's a tribute to the original work done by Alan Barnes, Nicholas Briggs, Jason Haigh-Ellery and Barnaby Edwards (amongst many others) that she was so keen to come back.'

Writer Alice Cavender, (who had previously written for Lucie Miller in two Subscriber Short Trips) echoed Ian's sentiments : 'I remember how an understandably grumpy Lucie Miller first found her feet in the TARDIS and how she grew through her travels,' says Alice. 'She stole my heart as she revealed her vulnerability, warmth and grit, finding new purpose alongside the Doctor, so I wanted to touch on those qualities again. It was incredible hearing Sheridan give life and emotion to the story’s characters and amazing to hear Lucie Miller venting her spleen once more!'

‘Lucie has and always will be very close to my heart,’ says Big Finish Executive Producer Nick Briggs. ‘I was there on the day Alan Barnes came up with her character and I was able to suggest several elements of her story. Then Alan, Barnaby Edwards and I worked very hard together in shaping her character across four series of adventures. Most important of all was Sheridan’s input. When we witnessed the brilliance of she could do, we fed that back into the writing, so that Lucie just grew and grew. It’s great to have her returning to Big Finish, and, who knows, perhaps these great Short Trips readings will lead to Lucie making a full-cast return to us one day. There are, after all, many opportunities during her long story with the Eighth Doctor that give us a chance to revisit her era and insert new adventures. But I can confirm there are definitely no plans to reverse her fate in To The Death.'

Doctor Who: The Curse of the Fugue will be released in April 2016 – with Sheridan also returning in 2017's Doctor Who: Flashpoint by Andrew Smith, where Lucie will cross paths with futuristic gangsters on the planet Cerberin. More details and a release date for this second Short Trip will be coming soon.

You can listen to Sheridan speak about her return in a brand new Big Finish Podcast. Click the player below to listen now!
                https://soundcloud.com/big-finish/th...er-will-return

Comment

Torchwood: Suzie Costello will return!
                  14 February 2016

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/torc...lo-will-return

This summer, the hunt is on – and Indira Varma is ready!

Announced live on stage at Gallifrey One 27 by Big Finish Executive Producer Jason Haigh-Ellery, the fourth episode of Big Finish's second series of Torchwood audios will see the return of Torchwood's troubled Suzie Costello – once again played by Indira Varma (Luther, Silk, Game of Thrones).

'We still can't believe Indira said yes – but she did, and she's been utterly delightful,' enthuses producer James Goss. 'We were dying to bring back Suzie as soon as we started – she's such an interesting character, and giving her a solo adventure provides us with a chance to explore what makes her tick. Amazingly, this is a story where she's the hero. Or the nearest thing to it.'

Introduced in Torchwood's opening episode Everything Changes, Suzie was Jack Harkness' original deputy in Torchwood Three – until her true nature was revealed.

Suzie returns in Torchwood: Moving Target by Guy Adams. Set a year before her death, the story explores her bleak outlook on life – while pitting her against hunters from beyond the stars.

One morning, Cardiff just stops. The rain hangs in the sky, the traffic doesn’t move on its streets, the people are frozen like photographs.

Alien eyes have set their sights on our world and won’t leave until they’ve blood on their hands.

The Hub is in lockdown, only one member of the team free to move.

It’s time for Suzie Costello to save the world.

Also appearing in the story are Naomi McDonald as Alex and Nicholas Burns as the Referee.

Suzie's return will come a month after Tom Price takes on a starring role in Torchwood: Ghost Mission once again portraying Sergeant Andy.

'We brought Tom back for a little cameo in Series 1, and just couldn't resist the chance to bring him back properly,' says James. 'Tom Price is lovely, and threw himself into an adventure all of his own. He made an instant double act with Samuel Barnett, playing the enigmatic Norton Folgate, a Torchwood agent with his own agenda.'

You can pre-order both titles today, or subscribe to the whole of Series 2 at the special introductory rate of £45 on CD and £40 to download (this price being held through to March 31st 2016). Other Series 2 titles include Torchwood: The Victorian Age starring John Barrowman and Rowena Cooper and Torchwood: Zone 10 starring Naoko Mori. Two further titles will be announced at a later date.

Torchwood Series 1 is still available to order now – with a bundle of all six titles now available to order at an additional saving against buying individually. And remember, when you choose to buy this release on CD directly from Big Finish, you will also unlock instant access to a digital copy for download.

Comment

Doctor Who – The War Doctor 2: Infernal Devices coming Monday February 22nd 2016
                    13 February 2016

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doct...uary-22nd-2016

The Time War will wage again – and John Hurt's War Doctor is ready for battle!

Announced live on stage at Gallifrey One 27 by Big Finish Executive Producer Jason Haigh-Ellery, the next epic instalment in Big Finish's War Doctor saga will be available from Monday February 22nd 2016.

Continuing on from the apocalyptic events portrayed in Doctor Who - The War Doctor 1: Only The Monstrous, this new box-set sees the War Doctor (John Hurt) step away from the front-lines of the war - instead being drawn into a sinister conspiracy involving the Time Lords and Shadovar (David Warner), one of the Technomancers of Aldriss. Meanwhile, across the galaxy, the Daleks are preparing a secret weapon – one which Cardinal Ollistra (Jacqueline Pearce) is desperate to gain control of.

Listen to the trailer on the title's product page, or via the SoundCloud player below:
                    https://soundcloud.com/big-finish/do...evices-trailer

Doctor Who – The War Doctor 2: Infernal Devices contains three stories, along with a bonus disc containing a behind-the-scenes documentary.

2.1 Legion of the Lost by John Dorney

In a time of war, every means of victory must be explored. In the Time War, the unthinkable must be thought, and neither side can afford to be squeamish about their methods.

When the destruction of an obscene weapon leads to the Time Lord once known as the Doctor uncovering a secret Gallifreyan initiative, he cannot believe what is being considered.

Should victory be sought at any cost? Or are there worse possibilities than losing to the Daleks...?

2.2 A Thing of Guile by Phil Mulryne

The Daleks are developing a secret weapon on Asteroid Theta 12. It is imperative that their plans are uncovered.

Cardinal Ollistra has her hands full studying the range of ancient and mysterious armaments the universe has to offer, but she makes it a personal mission to investigate the Dalek project.

On this dangerous assignment, there is one particular Time Lord she wants at her side - and he will be accompanying her whether he wants to or not.

2.3 The Neverwhen by Matt Fitton

On an isolated world ravaged by battle, Time itself has become a weapon, laying waste to all who live and die there. Arms and technology are in a state of flux – and it seems that everlasting war is their only option.

The arrival of one battered Type Forty TARDIS inside this nightmare offers hope to the combatants trapped within.

But when he discovers the truth, the horrors of the Neverwhen will shock even the War Doctor…

Featuring an all-star cast, including John Hurt, Jacqueline Pearce, David Warner, Jamie Newall, Zoë Tapper, Robert Hands, Oliver Dimsdale, Laura Harding, Barnaby Kay, Jaye Griffiths, Tim Bentinck, Tracy Wiles and Nicholas Briggs, Doctor Who – The War Doctor 2: Infernal Devices is available to pre-order today. You can order this release separately, or as part of the Time War Saga bundle.

This bundle contains all four box sets from the War Doctor series, along with the five-disc prequel Doctor Who - The Eighth Doctor: The Time War starring Paul McGann. And remember, when you choose to buy this release on CD directly from Big Finish, you will also unlock instant access to a digital copy for download.

Doctor Who – The War Doctor 2: Infernal Devices is available exclusively from Big Finish from February 22nd. It will be released through other retailers from April 30th 2016.

Comment

Doctor Who's BBC Three spinoff is "brilliant" and Patrick Ness has an "amazing vision"
                      Class will pit schoolkids against intergalactic monsters later in 2016.
                      By Morgan Jeffery and Mayer Nissim
                      1 hour ago

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...r-who-spinoff/

Doctor Who will be mostly absent from our telly in 2016 - but a new spinoff, Class, is coming to BBC Three and, word has it, it's "brilliant".

Damian Kanavagh - digital controller for BBC Three - told Digital Spy that writer Patrick Ness and producer Brian Minchin have an "amazing vision" for the series.

"I've read some of the scripts, I've met and talked to Patrick and Brian, and I think their vision for it is amazing," he said.

Class is set in Doctor Who's Coal Hill School and will follow its students as they battle intergalactic monsters and other sinister villains.

There'll be yet more shocking events in halls of education in Clique - a new drama from Skins writer Jess Brittain that's being pitched as Skins for the university age.

"I'll tell you, when I read the first script of Clique, it just leaps off the page," Kavanagh said. "There's so many layers and so much intrigue to it."

Thirteen - a kidnap thriller from rising star Marnie Dickens - will also form part of BBC Three's new output, with Kavanagh hinting that the brand shifting online means "more scope" for drama, not less.

"We're working with BBC Worldwide - there's a couple of projects in the pipeline, not only in drama," he explained. "If they come on board there's additional money, so there's ways to make budgets go further.

"You'll see that with pretty much every broadcaster. The story around Humans [a co-production with US broadcaster AMC] isn't too dissimilar on Channel 4."

Tonight (February 15) is BBC Three's final night as a linear broadcast channel, with the service then moving online as a content 'brand'.?

Will the Doctor attend Class? Peter Capaldi talks a potential guest appearance with DS right here:

Comment

Ugh. If "Class" is going to be online only on BBC3, I'm not going to bother.
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I'm gonna try and watch it, but right now, it doesn't sound promising at all. Give us a hook, for heaven's sake! Bring William Russell in and you have all the views you could ever want.
                          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                            Ugh. If "Class" is going to be online only on BBC3, I'm not going to bother.
                            Class, and other shows like it made for BBC3, will be shown at later dates on either BBC1 or BBC2.

Comment

I'm just fed up with new shows being trumpeted as "an online exclusive".

My internet connection is patchy at best, and streaming shows uses up a helluva lot of my meagre credit.
                              sigpic
                              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                                I'm just fed up with new shows being trumpeted as "an online exclusive".

My internet connection is patchy at best, and streaming shows uses up a helluva lot of my meagre credit.
                                Then waiting for a later date and seeing Class on BBC1 or BBC2 would seem to be the best solution for you and others with internet connections not ideally suited for streaming TV shows.

Comment

Working...
                                X