Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSG's Boldness with 'Time Scale' = a key component of its greatness :)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSG's Boldness with 'Time Scale' = a key component of its greatness :)

I think one of the things this show will be remembered for -- or at least, one of the things that will be brought up in future analyses of what 'made [it] so great' is the willingness of its creators (esp Moore) to be bold with their use of time scope and time scale.

To be willing, in one instance, to have a handful of episodes that take place in a matter of a week or two, and then, in the next instance, to be willing to suddenly incorporate a year-long progression is bold, daring, and, IMHO, a key to the show's vital spark. It's refreshing to watch something on TV -- sci-fi or otherwise -- that isn't quaking in its boots to adhere to convention and the tried and true every step (pun intended ) of the way.

I look forward to the third season, and I salute the producers' methods.

My $.02

Amen!
    There's truth in "No Guts, No Glory"!! RDM & producers have been taking a lot of creative risks and they've all paid off. I don't want to see stereotype & boring sci-fi like Enterprise, but innovative & ground-breaking stuff like BSG!

Comment

Originally posted by designez
      Amen!
      There's truth in "No Guts, No Glory"!! RDM & producers have been taking a lot of creative risks and they've all paid off. I don't want to see stereotype & boring sci-fi like Enterprise, but innovative & ground-breaking stuff like BSG!
      Exactly.

Comment

I dont know it seems like RDM just screwed the character development from S1 S2, and hit a reset button.

Comment

No I think the season finale of Season 2 will be remembered as the downfall of the new BSG.
          The turning point in wich a great show became a mediocre show.
          I´m sorry to say it but thats my assessment.

Comment

The one year jump is a classic example of hitting the reset button who knows maybe RDM can keep it together.

Comment

Originally posted by IEatCylons
              The one year jump is a classic example of hitting the reset button who knows maybe RDM can keep it together.
              No, not a reset button at all, just a time-jump

now if they all go back to their ships, and everyone back in their old places
              roslin president again, the cylons hunting them again like in s1 and s2, then RDM will have pushed the reset button

Spoiler:
              I've heard the new Caprica Cylon occupation story will be the first 4-5 eps, wished it would at least have been till the mid-season

Comment

I loved the first season and a half (23 episodes) when it took place in around 2 months time. Then the second half of season 2 (10 episodes) took place in seven months. I felt that the show lost some of the original coolness. Now we skip a whole year in one episode? I hated that ending.

Comment

The "reset button" is what is used on SG1 and SGA that keeps the characters from developing and becoming more interesting. Everything is static and nothing progresses. There is no feeling of danger when our heroes are in tough situations.

BSG goes way out on a limb with stories and character development every week. You never know who will live and who will die or what the heck sort of twist is going to be tossed our way. I just wish more shows incorporated this type of thinking in their plot development. Might make TV more interesting.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I have a distinctly strong feeling that this isn't at all an instance of hitting a 'reset button' with respect to BSG characters and their characterization.

I think it will (if we're all lucky) play out as an opportunity for the further development, refinement, and exploration of the same characters that we know and love -- it's a great setting. The one year progression allows us to see which traits and ways are truly integral to the various characters and which were more a result of the context of their earlier situation.

The chief seems to be a leader of the masses or the plebs, regardless of whether he is in a hangar bay or a union meeting. Seeing Adama (the elder) still roaming the halls of the ship one year out reinforces his commitment to duty and his affinity for the Galactica -- as did his willingness to not counteract Baltar's orders. Or 'wow Starbuck actually has a strong streak of commitment in her -- she's frakking married'. The scenes between Tigh and Adama gave further elaboration to their friendship and of Tigh's commitment to duty as well (and, in my admittedly favourable opinion -- I like Tigh -- he also seemed to have somewhat cleaned himself up one year out).

Etc etc etc

I agree with some people (on other topics have I heard this mainly) that it's a risky move. But I don't see it as a reset. I also think it holds great potential (to echo my own initial post )
                    Last edited by ArthurKing; 13 March 2006, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I don't agree with that assessment. A reset button is when you start over and forget everything that's happened before. That's not what happened. Everything that has happened in the past 2 years has factored into what happened in the last 20 minutes of the finale. I don't believe that anything or anyone was out of character or that anything was "reset".

Ron Moore wanted to see what would happen if they found a planet and decided to settle down and stop running. He wanted to see what would happen to the characters because of such a change. And instead of doing what most sci-fi shows do (i.e. Star Trek), he did *not* go with the reset button scenerio. That is, this is *not* a dream. This is *not* an alternate reality that will correct itself in one episode and everything will return to normal. Everything that has happeend the past 2 years has lead them down this road. And the ramifications of this will be huge for the overall story of BSG and for all of the characters. This doesn't sound like a "reset" at all to me.

Comment

Originally posted by apollo123
                        I don't agree with that assessment. A reset button is when you start over and forget everything that's happened before. That's not what happened. Everything that has happened in the past 2 years has factored into what happened in the last 20 minutes of the finale. I don't believe that anything or anyone was out of character or that anything was "reset".

Ron Moore wanted to see what would happen if they found a planet and decided to settle down and stop running. He wanted to see what would happen to the characters because of such a change. And instead of doing what most sci-fi shows do (i.e. Star Trek), he did *not* go with the reset button scenerio. That is, this is *not* a dream. This is *not* an alternate reality that will correct itself in one episode and everything will return to normal. Everything that has happeend the past 2 years has lead them down this road. And the ramifications of this will be huge for the overall story of BSG and for all of the characters. This doesn't sound like a "reset" at all to me.
                        To me the 1 year jump fells like RDM is starting over kara is trying to save anders the main characters are trying to build a resistance it seems like a V clone.

Comment

To me the 1 year jump fells like RDM is starting over kara is trying to save anders the main characters are trying to build a resistance it seems like a V clone.
                          Well I guess it's similar to having a sequel or starting a new chapter. It's a starting over of sorts in that it's a fresh storyline, but everything that happened in the previous chapter is important and had a purpose in bringing the story to where it is now. My interpretation of a "reset" is something where nothing that occured in the past mattered and we might as well skip the first 2 seasons and start from season 3.

Comment

I don't view the one year jump as a reset. I think of it more as yet another trial that causes extremes....

Kara falling in love and finding life sucks for normal people (unable to get antibiotics), chief takes charge of the grunts and makes them "his" team. And I love the new president's office decor. About the only person who is almost unaffected by the changes is Roslyn, but that might be the whole higher power thing she has going on.

My only gripe about the time jump is the lack of progress made on New Caprica. I would have thought that a team of people who can build a space fighter outta spare parts would have done better than a tent city refugee camp. Or maybe that was just an extension of poor management by the President.

Comment

Aslong as they don't make anymore big jumps i'm fine with it, the only thing i hated was the Chief-Cally thing, was nice to see how the rest panned out though.

Comment

Working...
                              X