This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about the age of the Ancient Alliance and what they did

Just had a thought a few days ago, and I may be wrong because I forget things.

But, was the Ancient Alliance formed before or after Pegasus? See, to me it seems like the Ancients only sought out the other races after they got back from Atlantis because they were so distraught/had nothing to do.

The room in that episode with the flying molecules suggests that at the start of the Alliance they had difficulty in communicating with one another, verbally at least. Now, assuming that that marks a very early stage of the alliance, we can look at the castle to determine how old it is. I really doubt the castle is millions of years old, I mean, the pyramids have only been around a few thousand years and they're falling apart in favorable conditions, imagine a several million year old castle in a European/Tropical/American climate?

I'd say the castle is <10,000 years old, coinciding with the Ancients return to MW. This would also mean that the Furling sanctuary would only be a few thousand years old instead of a few million, making more sense for the Goa'uld to be around.

I also have another thought on the Ancients DNA mutators and Ancient suppositories. I think that those two devices represented a last ditch effort to create more Alteran level humans, perhaps even to artificially evolve ally humans whom they trust. Once those people are evolved they could send them off to the Ancient suppority to bring them up to speed with all the knowledge of the Ancients, including Pegasus.

The above theory could tie in nicely with Arthur, who I reckon Merlin evolved articifially in order to bring him to the brink of ascension. Perhaps the reason Arthur had to go to three different places was to acquire information from several different suppositories that contained clues on the whereabouts of the Holy Grail.

Think of it this way, the suppositories are a complicated and vast library of the ENTIRE Alterran race, so they're big with a lot of info. Perhaps Merlin hid tiny shreds of data in each suppository as to not alert the Ancients, and forcing you to have all of the bits in order to know exactly where to find the Holy Grail.

Also, I believe that technically it might be simpler for us all to call the Alterrans just that, the O'ri the same and use the term Ancient to encompass the entire race as a whole? Just makes sense to me since they're both pretty damn old races..

And yeah, I'm saying suppository on purpose to remind us of the O'ri toilet seat.

I whould like to point out that atlantis it self is millions of years old and look GREAT so an anceint built building thats falling apart have to be OLD. And if you look at the tech its very old. Its almost the same as the goa'uld's technology which shows alot from where the goa'uld got their own technology because that keyboard in that castle looks goa'uld.

Im thinking many many millions of years old when the furlings where still around and stuff and the stargates where advanced peices of technology.
    And that Furling paradise was just a place for humans to live, I dont think there where any furlings there.

Im guessing the Nox is from our galaxy. The Lanteans from the Ori galaxy and the Asgard from their galaxy meaning the furlings are very likly from another galaxy and this alliance was an alliance of the 4 greatest races of a few galaxy's(Or 4).

I dont think mankind was being made yet by the anceints at that point

Gifts
    -X-
    --------------
    Click Me And Win A Pie!

Comment

Originally posted by Karec
      I whould like to point out that atlantis it self is millions of years old and look GREAT so an anceint built building thats falling apart have to be OLD. And if you look at the tech its very old. Its almost the same as the goa'uld's technology which shows alot from where the goa'uld got their own technology because that keyboard in that castle looks goa'uld.

Im thinking many many millions of years old when the furlings where still around and stuff and the stargates where advanced peices of technology.
      And that Furling paradise was just a place for humans to live, I dont think there where any furlings there.

Im guessing the Nox is from our galaxy. The Lanteans from the Ori galaxy and the Asgard from their galaxy meaning the furlings are very likly from another galaxy and this alliance was an alliance of the 4 greatest races of a few galaxy's(Or 4).

I dont think mankind was being made yet by the anceints at that point

The thing is, in that episode I saw no indication that the place was built by the Ancients. It didn't follow any of the normal architecture. However, it did look very Medieval, which ties in around with Merlin's era.

Comment

It might have been Nox built and equited with Anceint tech?
        Did we really get that good veiw of actual Nox architecture?

I think the Nox buildings actual looks alittle like the castle. I might be wrong

Gifts
        -X-
        --------------
        Click Me And Win A Pie!

Comment

That might be the best bet considering the architecture didn't look Asgard, Alteran/Atlantean or Furling.

Comment

Yeah saw a picture a while ago and saw that the towers of the Nox Cityship look similar to the top of the Heliopolis where the Ancient Alliance would meet.

I generally call the entire race Ancients but divide them by calling them either Ancient Alterans, Ancient Lantians or Ancient Ori since they are all factions of the same race...Lantians can be considered separate because they were in a completely different galaxy to start over and none of their tech or capabilities resemble those of the Ancient Alterans.

Also had the similar belief that the Nox are from the Milky Way galaxy and the Furlings are from another galaxy as well. Just seems to make sense. And its interesting to see that the Furlings had a device similar to a Stargate. Really wish we could get more into the tech and abilities of these ancient members.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by thenimf
              Just had a thought a few days ago, and I may be wrong because I forget things.

But, was the Ancient Alliance formed before or after Pegasus? See, to me it seems like the Ancients only sought out the other races after they got back from Atlantis because they were so distraught/had nothing to do.
              I believe it was after as well. No conclusion can be drawn on that subject though, just lines of thought that make some sense.

The room in that episode with the flying molecules suggests that at the start of the Alliance they had difficulty in communicating with one another, verbally at least. Now, assuming that that marks a very early stage of the alliance, we can look at the castle to determine how old it is. I really doubt the castle is millions of years old, I mean, the pyramids have only been around a few thousand years and they're falling apart in favorable conditions, imagine a several million year old castle in a European/Tropical/American climate?
              I thought of it in the same way but someone pointed out to me that the Ancients built things to last so the building could in fact be millions of years old. The ancients would have had to place the stargates in secure places otherwise a whole grand canyon could form under and around them in a few million years. Granted, the gate could easily be moved later but, a cliff overlooking the ocean would be a bad place to put a gate as erosion would eventually undermine the foundations if you're planning to leave it there for a long time. If the building were around for millions of years though, the ocean would have been much further away when it was originally placed. Point being, the building is probably not the best way to determine the age. The building could easily be older than its contents.

I'd say the castle is <10,000 years old, coinciding with the Ancients return to MW. This would also mean that the Furling sanctuary would only be a few thousand years old instead of a few million, making more sense for the Goa'uld to be around.
              I also have another thought on the Ancients DNA mutators and Ancient suppositories. I think that those two devices represented a last ditch effort to create more Alteran level humans, perhaps even to artificially evolve ally humans whom they trust. Once those people are evolved they could send them off to the Ancient suppority to bring them up to speed with all the knowledge of the Ancients, including Pegasus.

Given the fact that the Furlings completely disappeared within the last 10,000 years, and the Ancients were also small in number at the same time, a last alliance of great races would make sense to me. I think they knew they were disappearing and (perhaps a few of them having the gift of foresight) chose to leave behind as much knowledge as they could for their descendants. I think thats what the alliance was about.

They left the stargates for their descendants so it wouldn't be out of character. They seem to like leaving a legacy for future generations.

And yeah, I'm saying suppository on purpose to remind us of the O'ri toilet seat.
              I don't know if I should be more worried because you're saying it on purpose... very strange toilet humor.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Well, that just great of the ancient. what would have taken then Goauld hundreads of thousand of years to do, the Ancient let them do it in a few thousand. By keeping the stargate connected, they handed the entire galaxy to the Goauld. What a nice and smart bunch of people.

But yeah thats the one thing I have never really get, where they dumb people? Why would they leave their stargate behind to be use in such a fashion and why not disable all of it the first time around? Ancients arent too smart and maybe that is why the Lantean had to split form them, the Alteran were passive, the Ori was too aggressive, but the Lantean seem to just want to explore but they would put up a fight if needed, even though they dont like to fight as much as we humans do.

Comment

Did I miss something or when the heck did the anceints split into 2 parts called lanteans and Alterans?
                  Did alot of anceints just die and they all tryed to escape to the pegasus galaxy but failed because the wraiths came and then they returned and died?

Gifts
                  -X-
                  --------------
                  Click Me And Win A Pie!

Comment

Originally posted by Vahnman
                    Well, that just great of the ancient. what would have taken then Goauld hundreads of thousand of years to do, the Ancient let them do it in a few thousand. By keeping the stargate connected, they handed the entire galaxy to the Goauld. What a nice and smart bunch of people.

But yeah thats the one thing I have never really get, where they dumb people? Why would they leave their stargate behind to be use in such a fashion and why not disable all of it the first time around? Ancients arent too smart and maybe that is why the Lantean had to split form them, the Alteran were passive, the Ori was too aggressive, but the Lantean seem to just want to explore but they would put up a fight if needed, even though they dont like to fight as much as we humans do.
                    It has nothing to do with them being idiots. Would you prevent the invention of the aeroplane just to make sure no one ever attaches a bomb to it and thereby nip the space program in the bud as well?

The Stargate is just like any technology that can be used for enormous good and enormous evil. But if you want to stop the evil you end up stopping the good as well. It took the ancients millions of years to evolve and master space travel and to develop technology to leave their galaxy. They created the gates to make sure that people can meet and exchange ideas so we don't all sit here in ignorance for the next several million years. It's a risk but it's an entirely worthwhile one. They had knowledge, they shared.

The Goa'uld by no means controlled every gate in this galaxy or others with stargates so shutting them down just to prevent one pathetic bunch of parasites is a complete wimp out and utterly pointless. Furthermore, even while they controlled planets the gates were still being used to deafeat them.

Did I miss something or when the heck did the anceints split into 2 parts called lanteans and Alterans?
                    Did alot of anceints just die and they all tryed to escape to the pegasus galaxy but failed because the wraiths came and then they returned and died?
                    The "Ancients" is a general term for the ancestors of humans for whom we didn't have a name until we learned they were called Alterans. They came to our Galaxy when they split from the Ori. When the Alterans left the Milky Way - Earth specifically - via Atlantis they went to the Pegasus Galaxy, adapted the name of their city, and became Lanteans.

We don't know why the left the Milky Way, whether for exploration or because of the infamous plague. They engaged ina war with the wraith in the Pegasus during their last hundred years there and eventually returned home to Earth.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

And thats just what I said....

I was making a comment to the guy above me who have no clue.

"Ancients arent too smart and maybe that is why the Lantean had to split form them, the Alteran were passive, the Ori was too aggressive, but the Lantean seem to just want to explore but they would put up a fight if needed, even though they dont like to fight as much as we humans do."

No clue. He said they split up not me.

Gifts
                      -X-
                      --------------
                      Click Me And Win A Pie!

Comment

And thats just what I said....

I was making a comment to the guy above me who have no clue.
                        You were very unclear. Furthermore, sarcasm doesn't translate into writing very well.

Comment

"I thought of it in the same way but someone pointed out to me that the Ancients built things to last so the building could in fact be millions of years old. The ancients would have had to place the stargates in secure places otherwise a whole grand canyon could form under and around them in a few million years. Granted, the gate could easily be moved later but, a cliff overlooking the ocean would be a bad place to put a gate as erosion would eventually undermine the foundations if you're planning to leave it there for a long time. If the building were around for millions of years though, the ocean would have been much further away when it was originally placed. Point being, the building is probably not the best way to determine the age. The building could easily be older than its contents."

But I guess that's the thing, there's nothing to say that EVERYTHING that the Grandaddy races built was meant to last. Maybe the castle was a temporary outpost for them to learn to communicate?

Comment

A stone castle that is older than the pyramids isn't exactly what I'd call temporary.

I don't think the place was meant to be temporary. The ancients are members of an Intergalactic civilization and language is a wacky thing on the show...everyone speaks English but writes something else. The only reason I can think of to write something so universally is to make sure it can be understood by many people when you're not around to translate. I'd hope that language would be a small thing when you can build flying cities.

My belief is the language in writing (not the hologram) is symbolic, like the flags at the UN. It indicates the different cultures involved while the information they wished to impart is in the universal language of science. Writing it the way they did removes any cultural bias any of their native languages may have imparted which is nice when you're dealing with "meaning of life" stuff.

Comment

They had tea every Sunday afternoon at two.

Comment

Working...
                              X