The Laura Roslin/Mary McDonnell Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Laura Roslin/Mary McDonnell Appreciation Thread

Look for a thread for this amazing character/actress and couldn't believe there wasn't one!!! Laura Roslin is my favorite character on BSG, aside from William Adama! IMO, this character has had to overcome the biggest adjustment in the beginning of the series. After just finding out she has a very possibly terminal breast cancer, All of the Coloniels are destroyed and she's forced to become President!!! Thats a lot to take in. Roslin is an amazing leader!!
    And Mary McDonnell is such a wonderful actress who plays her like no other acress could, IMO!!!

Just to agree with every single word said above! MM rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Clementine
      Just to agree with every single word said above! MM rocks!
      OH, YES!!!!, I loved her in Dances w/ Wolves!!! It has always been one of my favorite movies and when I heard she was going be BSG, I was one happy girl!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by k8tbug1
        Look for a thread for this amazing character/actress and couldn't believe there wasn't one!!! Laura Roslin is my favorite character on BSG, aside from William Adama! IMO, this character has had to overcome the biggest adjustment in the beginning of the series. After just finding out she has a very possibly terminal breast cancer, All of the Coloniels are destroyed and she's forced to become President!!! Thats a lot to take in. Roslin is an amazing leader!!
        And Mary McDonnell is such a wonderful actress who plays her like no other acress could, IMO!!!

If we don´t start creating a bit of conflict this will be a really short thread....no pun intended.

Mary McDonnell was my very first reason to buy the mini....amazon sent me a recommendation and I thought "what if?" and the mini was amazing. The rest is story. What amazes me most how we still support her considering how far she´s gone as the President. She´s been the one who threw a cylon out of the airlock and she was the one who wanted Sharon2 dead and the cylon baby too but Mary´s portrayal is much more complicated than being purely ruthless and that´s the best thing in this show, the endless shades of grey, isn´t it?

Laura Roslin is my fav character in the series but, let´s face it, during the mini I would never imagaine she could be capable of considering assasination. Adar would be proud of her and I can´t wait for the season finale and season 3

Comment

Originally posted by DOIKECARTER
          If we don´t start creating a bit of conflict this will be a really short thread....no pun intended.

Mary McDonnell was my very first reason to buy the mini....amazon sent me a recommendation and I thought "what if?" and the mini was amazing. The rest is story. What amazes me most how we still support her considering how far she´s gone as the President. She´s been the one who threw a cylon out of the airlock and she was the one who wanted Sharon2 dead and the cylon baby too but Mary´s portrayal is much more complicated than being purely ruthless and that´s the best thing in this show, the endless shades of grey, isn´t it?

Laura Roslin is my fav character in the series but, let´s face it, during the mini I would never imagaine she could be capable of considering assasination. Adar would be proud of her and I can´t wait for the season finale and season 3
          Oh, I will totally agree w/ you on the point that from the beginning, I would never have imagined her making some of the decisions she has made up to this point. Especially ordering the assasination. But
          Spoiler:
          I think she was looking at it for the good of the fleet because she knew how ruthless Cain was. Of couse when she ordered the assasination she didn't know the whole story of Cain yet. I still am not quite sure that that decision was the best course they could have taken, but.....

And as for the whole throwing the cylons out the airlock thing, I'm trying to think back at the time, did they know them about them downloading to a new body, that they weren't really killing them? If so It's kind of pointless to put them out an airlock, except for safety reasons. But I guess they don't look as them as living beings, their just machines so its justified. Its like throwing a computer out an airlock

But though out the series her character has changed very much, and its seen through her decisions. I don't think her heart has changed, but she's become stronger!

Comment

I've always loved Laura. She's just an amazing character! She got up and she did what had to be done, she wasn't intimidated my Adama, which, frankly, is freakin amazing considering I'm intimidated by him. He's from a TV show and I'm intimidated by him.
            Spoiler:

I liked that Laura airlocked the cylon. It was unexpected and it really showed what Laura was willing to do for the fleet and the survival of the human race. The same with Cain, she could tell that Cain was going to be bad news for the fleet and so she tried to do what she could for the fleet. Personally, I also think that a couple of other people should be airlocked/assinated but that's another thread entirely.

I loved in LDYB it showed a new side of Laura. The side where she was nervous and she gets the giggles, very human and very cute.

Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team

I've Been SPANKed by the Love Monkey!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toll Verliebt
              I've always loved Laura. She's just an amazing character! She got up and she did what had to be done, she wasn't intimidated my Adama, which, frankly, is freakin amazing considering I'm intimidated by him. He's from a TV show and I'm intimidated by him.
              Spoiler:

I liked that Laura airlocked the cylon. It was unexpected and it really showed what Laura was willing to do for the fleet and the survival of the human race. The same with Cain, she could tell that Cain was going to be bad news for the fleet and so she tried to do what she could for the fleet. Personally, I also think that a couple of other people should be airlocked/assinated but that's another thread entirely.

I loved in LDYB it showed a new side of Laura. The side where she was nervous and she gets the giggles, very human and very cute.
              LOL, I sooo agree w/ you about the airlock thing!!!!! I can think of a few, but yep thats another thread hehe.

And no she wasn't intimidated by Adama, like most people are. He's is a intimidating man, like you said. As since she's been president, she's earned a lot of peoples respect!!!!
              And the whole LDYB thing.....
              Spoiler:
              OMG...it was soo fun to see her girly side. And Mary played it so well. I remember reading in that interview (don't kill me for not remembering the link, i think it has its own thread) that she had to have multiple takes for that scene. To have to giggle like that over and over, must've been very hard!!! What an excellent actress!!!!!

Comment

One of the best presidents on TV, on par with Jed Bartlet. Love her absolute dedication to the survival of the human race.

Post Ephiphanies:
                Spoiler:
                Is she still playing the religious card? I mean with her breast cancer cured she no longer fills out the requirements for the prophet.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                  One of the best presidents on TV, on par with Jed Bartlet. Love her absolute dedication to the survival of the human race.

Post Ephiphanies:
                  Spoiler:
                  Is she still playing the religious card? I mean with her breast cancer cured she no longer fills out the requirements for the prophet.
                  I sooo agree w/ you on her being one of the best presidents on TV,and I too am a big fan of Bartlett , but we can't leave out Mackenzie Allen, another female Prez .

And on the post Epiphanies thing.....
                  Spoiler:
                  The only thing I noticed in the debates about her playing the religious card was a reference to finding the 13th colony, Earth, in the scriptures. But no, She's not making "the religious card" her main purpose or backing for her campaign. At least not that I noticed Hope that helps

Comment

Nah, Roslin and Bartlet are way, waaayy better than Allen.

What other presidents are there?

Thanks
                    Spoiler:
                    it seemed like Tom and Baltar were coming down hard on her religious stance, so I guess it would make sense for her to downplay it then.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                      Nah, Roslin and Bartlet are way, waaayy better than Allen.

What other presidents are there?

Thanks
                      Spoiler:
                      it seemed like Tom and Baltar were coming down hard on her religious stance, so I guess it would make sense for her to downplay it then.
                      Well, I guess Allen just hasn't proven herself yet. I mean Bartlet been on for how long, and look at the hardships Roslins been through. But Allens still an awsome Pres

Can't think of any others , at least in the same league

And yep..
                      Spoiler:
                      I think she's kind of mellowed out on the whole religious thing. I mean I think she still stongly believes in the word of the scriptures and it will lead to earth, yada yada... But she's not as deep into it as she was in season 1/2 when she was dying and on Chamalla (sp?)

Comment

Mary definatly has a demanding role in this series - especially after the call she made in "TCH" but characters that are flawed are infinatly interesting and the actors that play them well are infinatly surperb.

elly: "Look dude, talk to the host 'cause the goa'uld ain't listening!"

HELEN: "Do NOT walk blood through my house!"

NIKOLA: "How am I supposed to get to the infirmary then?"

HELEN: "I don't care if you sprout wings and flap there Nikola, as long as you don't wreck my good carpet."

Earth: "S**t happens" BSG: "Pencils break"

Comment

Originally posted by ellymelly
                          Mary definatly has a demanding role in this series - especially after the call she made in "TCH" but characters that are flawed are infinatly interesting and the actors that play them well are infinatly surperb.
                          Her performance in "TCH" at the end was just amazing!! And yes if a character isn't flawed, their not human!! It would be very dull if someone went around making no mistakes!

Comment

Originally posted by k8tbug1
                            Her performance in "TCH" at the end was just amazing!! And yes if a character isn't flawed, their not human!! It would be very dull if someone went around making no mistakes!
                            proof she's not a cylon lol

elly: "Look dude, talk to the host 'cause the goa'uld ain't listening!"

HELEN: "Do NOT walk blood through my house!"

NIKOLA: "How am I supposed to get to the infirmary then?"

HELEN: "I don't care if you sprout wings and flap there Nikola, as long as you don't wreck my good carpet."

Earth: "S**t happens" BSG: "Pencils break"

Comment

Originally posted by ellymelly
                              proof she's not a cylon lol
                              "So say we all"!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X