This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSG Theme Song Lyrics

I found this on a BSG trivia page. Thought it was interesting.

The Season 2 opening theme song is a famous Hindu mantra, the Gayatri Mantra, taken from the Rig Veda. The words are

"OM bhûr bhuvah svah tat
    savitur varçnyam bhargô dçvasya dhîmahi dhiyô yô nah pracôdayât",

which may
    be translated in various ways but means approximately "may we attain that
    excellent glory of Savitar the God / so May he stimulate our prayers".

Snurching from myself snurching from another board:

Sci Fi over on the Media Boulevard BSG board provided this info on the song sung at the beginning of the UK opening theme:

Originally posted by Sci Fi
    The UK theme is actually the Hindu Gayatri Mantra sung in a heavy western accent.

AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA,
    TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
    BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI
    DHIYO YO NAHA PRACHODAYAT

Or

Om bhur bhuvah svah.
    Tat savitur varenyam:
    bhargo devasya dhimahi.
    Dhiyo yo nah prachodayat.

The changes in the spelling depends on where you get the information.

Translation:

Oh God! Thou art the Giver of Life, Remover of pain and sorrow,
    The Bestower of happiness, Oh! Creator of the Universe,
    May we receive thy supreme sin-destroying light,
    May Thou guide our intellect in the right direction.

Also, below is a breakdown (and another translation):

OM – Para Brahman BHUR – Bhu loka (Physical plane). It also refers to the physical body made up of the 5 Pancha Bhutas (5 elements). These 5 elements constitute Prakriti (Nature). BHUVA – Bhuva loka – the middle world. Bhuva is also Prana Sakti. However it is the presence of Prajnana that enables the Prana Sakti to animate the body. It is on this account that the Vedas have declared “Prajnanam Brahma” (Constant integrated awareness is Brahman). SVAHA – Swarga loka (Heaven – the region of the Gods) SS9/95 – 234 TAT – Paramatma, God or Brahman SAVITUR – That from which all this is born VARENYAM – Fit to be worshipped BHARGO – The Radiance, the Spiritual Effulgence, the Light that bestows Wisdom DEVASYA – Divine Reality DHEEMAHI – We meditate DHI YO – Buddhi, Intellect YO – Which NAH – Our PRACHODAYAT – Enlighten.

The Gayatri Mantra may be translated in many ways. One such translation is as follows:

(OM) OM (Dheemahi) We meditate (Bhargo) upon the Spiritual Effulgence (Varenyam Devasya) of THAT adorable Supreme Divine Reality (Savitur) the Source (Bhur, Bhuva, Svaha) of the Physical, the Astral, and the Heavenly spheres of Existence (TAT) May THAT Supreme Divine Being (Prachodayat) enlighten (Yo) which (Nah) our (Dhi Yo) intellect (so that we may realise the Supreme Truth).

Also Dhi Yo YoNah Prachodayat = Awaken my Discrimination, O Lord and guide me.

Comment

And here I thought this was going to be a page of "bum buh-da-da-dum buh-da-da-dum buh-da-da-DA-DA-DA..."s.

Oh well. I must say, this is far more interesting.
      Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
      sigpic

Comment

awsome

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Working...
        X