Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although they are cool plot devices and impressive to look at I must admit, they are really not feasible from ether an engineering or cost standpoint. Having all those resources put into one ship which can only be in one area at a time is not smart.

Now, if you were investing resources in say, something like the Star forge or Centerpoint station sure.
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Agreed. I can only see such ships being that big if there was a physical limitation of technology and that technology isn't going to get any smaller. For example, creating gravity by rotating a big wheel shaped hull around a central shaft. Something like that I can see.

Others like carriers too, but even then there would be a point of diminishing returns too. Yeah, you could build a super-carrier that can carry 100,000 fighters, but destruction of that ship would impact whoever built that carrier.
      Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
        How is it possible to make such a ship? Odd choice of words.

What is the point of having such large ships anyway?
        If you have a faction that cntrols three galaxies of around 4K total planets of which at least half of said planets are inhabited and the rest to be stripmined, it is indeed possible to make such large ships. How can one make war if they do not have the means to do so ?

Making a Supercarrier or in this case a Reverance II or even a III means that you have the resources to build said ships en masse, thus allowing greater strength to be deployed in various areas. there is not just one single shipyard, there are most likely dozens.

My own faction uses large ships because the coreworlds are massive massive hiveworlds and forgeworlds. Making starships is pretty much a way of life on a forgeworld or hiveworld. Now, when running in terms of costs, you got 4 thousand plus planets, overwhich half are inhabited, you have literally unlimited cash to make whatever you dream up. Basically, trhink Death Star III or IV in terms of size if you want, "its too big, needless, wont work!" destroyes two planets, "On seceond thought, WE LOVE IT!" just to keep your planet safe you love and hate the thing.

Now, Vaders personal star destroyer, that massive thing is small compared to one of my DVCs

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
          If you have a faction that cntrols three galaxies of around 4K total planets of which at least half of said planets are inhabited and the rest to be stripmined, it is indeed possible to make such large ships. How can one make war if they do not have the means to do so ?

Making a Supercarrier or in this case a Reverance II or even a III means that you have the resources to build said ships en masse, thus allowing greater strength to be deployed in various areas. there is not just one single shipyard, there are most likely dozens.

My own faction uses large ships because the coreworlds are massive massive hiveworlds and forgeworlds. Making starships is pretty much a way of life on a forgeworld or hiveworld. Now, when running in terms of costs, you got 4 thousand plus planets, overwhich half are inhabited, you have literally unlimited cash to make whatever you dream up. Basically, trhink Death Star III or IV in terms of size if you want, "its too big, needless, wont work!" destroyes two planets, "On seceond thought, WE LOVE IT!" just to keep your planet safe you love and hate the thing.

Now, Vaders personal star destroyer, that massive thing is small compared to one of my DVCs
          There is way more to building such large constructs then the raw materials, labor, time and funds, the engineering required would be insane. A vessel that large could tear it self apart with a single maneuver because of sheer inertia.

They would have to be built out of both very light and very strong material like trinium or Graphene reinforced with seriously high energy S.I.F generators.
          sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
            There is way more to building such large constructs then the raw materials, labor, time and funds, the engineering required would be insane. A vessel that large could tear it self apart with a single maneuver because of sheer inertia.

They would have to be built out of both very light and very strong material like trinium or Graphene reinforced with seriously high energy S.I.F generators.
            Not to mention the technology alone to make it stay intact during maneuvers would be incredibly advanced not to mention a ton of energy needed.

Additionally, in Star Wars they don't have thousands of planets but perhaps upwards to a million. Majority of which are as developed as our planet but more advanced. Not to mention we are talking about 25,000 years worth of technology maturity.
            Hi There!

Comment

i keep hearing people talk about inertia in large ships. there is one thing that most people dont take into account, inertia is the amount of resistance to an objects direction of travel which is quantified by its mass. when you have inertial dampeners capable of removing 90-95% of a ships mass then the ship becomes alot more manueverable even though it may be huge. that is why they are called INERTIAL DAMPENERS they dampen inertia's tendency to resist change in direction.

for example

take avessel with a mass of 200,000 tonnes

add inertial dampeners

inertial dampeners reduce the mass of the ship by 90%

result the ship now has a mass of 20,000 tonnes
              sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
                i keep hearing people talk about inertia in large ships. there is one thing that most people dont take into account, inertia is the amount of resistance to an objects direction of travel which is quantified by its mass. when you have inertial dampeners capable of removing 90-95% of a ships mass then the ship becomes alot more manueverable even though it may be huge. that is why they are called INERTIAL DAMPENERS they dampen inertia's tendency to resist change in direction.

for example

take avessel with a mass of 200,000 tonnes

add inertial dampeners

inertial dampeners reduce the mass of the ship by 90%

result the ship now has a mass of 20,000 tonnes

You are forgetting how much energy it would to dampen that inertia. Inertial dampeners are not some magic device that once you press a button everything is fine. Logically that device requires energy. The larger the ship, the larger the energy inertial dampeners require.
                Hi There!

Comment

You are forgetting how much energy it would to dampen that inertia. Inertial dampeners are not some magic device that once you press a button everything is fine. Logically that device requires energy. The larger the ship, the larger the energy inertial dampeners require.
                  the other thing people keep forgetting is that we have the asgard core which contains all asgard knowledge and the matter converter.

all we would have to do is have the core create several NIGS for the ship and power would no longer be an issue

Comment

Takes all the fun out of it though... The Asgard Core makes everything too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                      Takes all the fun out of it though... The Asgard Core makes everything too easy.
                      not really. as we would have to find a place (not on earth) to install the core with an array of matter converters as well as making sure that A. we can get enough raw materials to it and B. it is heavily protected. not to mention that for some of the larger items in the asgard core i am sure that there will be some assembly required

which would mean that we would have to learn abut the system we are assembling so that we can assemble it properly and maintain it.

Comment

That's what I meant... Using the Asgard Core to design and build everything makes things too easy. Makes Earth too powerful.

Comment

its not easy.

think of the manpower required to havest enough raw material for the matter converter. think of all the man power required to protect the off world base its at. think of the man power required to build said base. think of all of the engineers and scientists required to put the stuff together that the matter converters create. not to mention the amount of scientists there to study the tech. now try to figure out how much its all gonna cost.

also if it was that easy then why didnt the asgard use the matter conversion proccess to just create hundreds of Oneill class warships?

obviously there has to be some kind of manual labor involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                            That's what I meant... Using the Asgard Core to design and build everything makes things too easy. Makes Earth too powerful.
                            Funny thing is it is not Earth I am talking about but a planet called Acradia I think is what the core world is called, not fully sure.

Another thing is, each ship literally has a fusion reactor core with plenty of other smaller power cores to power each ship, each fighter has a small fusion core and sublight engines and whatever else the maker wanted to put in them. Like I said it is not my personal faction, my own faction uses some of the things I mentioned for lengths already {the largest ship I have is 14KM long, I have another craft that big but it is 14KM round and is a mobile shipyard}

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

So... let me get this straight. You have a bunch of city sized ships flying around because of the Asgard core.

I mean what IS THE POINT of having such large vessels in the first point?
                              Hi There!

Comment

So... let me get this straight. You have a bunch of city sized ships flying around because of the Asgard core.

I mean what IS THE POINT of having such large vessels in the first point?
                                My faction does not even know what the Asgard are, not even related to SG in fact, my faction is just tech advanced and able ot make such massive ships in the first place.

A place ot live, some have ot be big in order ot make more ships, others are big because the peopel that run them use the space. Most ship owners want as big as possible in order to store as much as possible be it goods for trading, soldiers, or otherwise

Comment

Working...
                                X