Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree that the darts (I always want to call them mosquito jets or something) are much more stylish than the puddlejumpers.

Actually, it seems just about anything is more stylish than what the Ancients came up with. I was so disappointed in the... erm, style they gave Atlantis - horrible color schemes (red and turquoise should NOT go together!), too many "blocky" designs - stuff that constitutes as "eew" in my book.

*Misses the pretty Indian/Middle-Eastern window grating that appeared on the Earth outpost*
    [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Well on the bottom their is an equipable clamping mechanism, so they could be a space where cargo was tied to, or other things like a hyperdrive or additional shield wa added when needed.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by methuselah
        Are they shaped like that because they can join together in a chain? Also, are there any secret compartments on the top and bottom of the jumper like there are on the sides?
        I guess you'll actually have to watch all the episodes and see for yourself
        Christopher H.
        Stargate Atlantis Fan
        WebSite Owner: Excellent Credit Cards

Comment

I like the modular idea better. but not on the same line of thinking.

one. the shape of the front and back of the jumper. was designed for 'docking' reasons. they could dock to a ship with easy. and/or the shap would allow them to store the jumpers to save space.

the modular idea i was thinking of is the random shape of the hull. they probally made them so you could 'add' something to the ship to make it more 'multipurpouse'
          Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
          (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

i agree with that, perhaps once you dock with the satalite you could control it from the jumper, making the jump a mobile bridge and command centre to other ancient structures.
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

Puddlejumpers are primarily spacecraft that have the extra ability to fly in an atmosphere. They're not aerodynamically shaped because there's no need for aerodynamics in spacecraft. There's no wind resistance or drag in space.
              First, please use spoiler tags. If I want to know what happens in the show I'll watch it. Second, if you don't like the show, stop watching it. That way you won't feel the need to complain that a sci-fi entertainment show has "plot holes" or "isn't realistic". There is a difference between commenting on an episode you didn't like and constantly complaining about the series as a whole. After all, why torture yourself by watching something you don't like...

Comment

But they're still inexusably ugly.
                [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
                  I think our friend here was referring to the angled front and back of the puddlejumper, not its round shape.

Methusala, I've wondered about that myself. However, then I find myself wondering what the point would be (especially since there don't seem to be any doors in the front, unless they're under the control panel and you have to crawl through, heheh), and so that train of thought usually halts.

But since I'm here, I think I'll try to think of some reasonable applications for hooking them up like traincars...

-Power conservation? Pull the puddlejumpers by an engine at the front to somewhere normally beyond their range?
                  -Stuff 'em into some kind of giant puddlejumper cannon? Shoot them like spitwads? (Even funnier thought: a giant 'machine gun' loaded with puddlejumpers.)
                  -Stuff them into long tubes and vend them like gobstoppers?
                  -Ten syllables: Atlantis no Shinkansen. (Oh, WHY can't a sci-fi city have those instead of transporters?!)
                  -They could stuff their front ends into some kind of port?
                  Puddlejumper machinegun? *drools* Ooh what about a puddlejumper cannon that shot them into hyperspace? That would be awesome. Then you could take them to places without a gate or where a gate would be out of reach. Sure, it's not that different from a regular gate, but it would be useful for if you were under siege for 38 minutes and you needed to get someplace really fast.
                  Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                  The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                  A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                  That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                  Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                  Caboose: They could be worse?
                  Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

depends on what the ancients intended its environment to be primarily.

The darts are primarily used for snatching serfs from their farms. Thus, they're in the air, aerodynamics apply.

If the ancients intended the puddle jumpers to primarily be gate ships (which i think they did due to their size and location in atlantis) firstly, aerodynamics don't apply in the gate nor do they apply in space.

You guys know that when in space a borg cube is as aerodynamic than a B-2 stealth bomber, right?

Just keep that in mind. We'd really have to know what the ancients had in mind for it. The Wraith obviously wanted a fast in atmosphere fighter/serf sweeper capable of being a space fighter as well.

Look at it from the ancients point of view. You're on top of the world, you need transports for your scientists etc to figure out how to build the next best thing (maybe like the time travel device etc), no one has been folish enough to go to war with you in thousands of years would you really care if your ship was a little bit more aerodynamic than it could be? Since its role isn't even military in the first place? They've got their battleships for that, plus, we don't know that they didn't have fighters which weren't extremely aerodynamic.

Comment

I could have sworn I just said that. Must be an echo echo echo echo

First, please use spoiler tags. If I want to know what happens in the show I'll watch it. Second, if you don't like the show, stop watching it. That way you won't feel the need to complain that a sci-fi entertainment show has "plot holes" or "isn't realistic". There is a difference between commenting on an episode you didn't like and constantly complaining about the series as a whole. After all, why torture yourself by watching something you don't like...

Comment

Working...
                      X