Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantis Mythology?? Real World Atlantis...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Mythology?? Real World Atlantis...

It is obvious to most people who have seen Stargate: Atlantis' pilot episode that using Atlantis as a basis for a show this opens up a great wealth of mythology surrounding the Lost City of Atlantis...

According to Plato he described Atlantis as city of "enormous mineral wealth," going on to further describe Atlantis as a city that was ahead of its time in terms of technology and inventions. This tends to agree with Stargate: Atlantis in the fact that the Ancients were greatly advanced compared to the native humans on earth.

In Regards to the location of Atlantis speculation is around the South China Sea (at least from what I have read). Obviously not anywhere near Antartica. Although some people believe it was in Europe...However maybe continental shift could have played a role in moving the Ancient outpost in Stargate: Atlantis...

Oddly enough from what I have read on the subject so far is that Atlantis "sank" around the end of an Ice Age. Which means the when the Ice caps melted Atlantis was washed away by a flood. This is believed to have happened around 10,000 to 12,000 years ago.

Atlantis is often described as a sunken continent however not just as a city.

Plato refered in his works that Atlantis had around 20 million people and most of these people perished when the city sank. Quite a large city for that period in history. I find that to be quite impossible to have that many people in a city during those times because obviously the city's land area would have to have been massive.

Atlantis sank because of a great flood. Most religion and science confirms this happened many years ago. Many of you may know the story of Noah and the Ark.

I just started studying this so i probably made many mistakes here. Feel free to comment or add some observations of your own if you like history...
    Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
    - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
    - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
    Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
    Mayboune: *shrugs*
    - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

The sunken city of China, was actually a vanishing city, and it was called Shangri-La. We talked about that one.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Theoretically Plato heard it from the surviving Ancients.

Comment

Wouldn't water levels drop after an ice age since water expands as it freezes?

Comment

No he heard it from an Egyptian, who could or could not have been an Ancient descendant.

Wiat a second. If Ra took a human host, the host, could have had the Ancient Gene, meaning that Ra could have at any time gotten Anicnet technology. He also good have none about Atlantis the whole time...well the story and all...Would be bad if he sent a massive fleet to go looking for Atlantis...

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

It is possible that he knew of Atlantis but... I belive htis is what happened.

Great plague, Ancients leave our galaxy to escape it.
            Thousands or millions of years later Ra found Earth.
            Hundreds or thousands of years later the Ancients returned to Earth after being forced into a corner by the Wraith, suprised that they werent where their stargate was they discovered Gou'alds and started the rebellion eventually they buried the gate but soon after the plague followed them and killed off many of them. Those who escaped the plague were most likely in the British Islands as some one else has stated the scottish Scienctist and Oniel being Irish or Scottish of some sort, in anycase the Asgaurd were the gods of the area I believe which is probably why the Ancients went to this area and the asgaurd assisted them and allowed them to live, then some decided to live out their lifes as "humans" and others acended. Thats my theory if I wasnt so tired Id right it better with mroe detail.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

There Ancients come back to our galaxy because of the Wraith plague in pegasus.

Comment

They never said the Wriath were the plague, They said the wraith may have defeated them but once again. The opening sequence of Atlantis explains it. The girl was carrying the virus, They left her in the outpost. That is proof the Plague struck BEFORE the Wraith.

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

First off the girl might not have THE Plague, she could just have another one.

"Plato refered in his works that Atlantis had around 20 million people and most of these people perished when the city sank. Quite a large city for that period in history. I find that to be quite impossible to have that many people in a city during those times because obviously the city's land area would have to have been massive."

20 million is a lot of people for Plato's time, heck how many people were on the planet then?
                  It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                    First off the girl might not have THE Plague, she could just have another one.

"Plato refered in his works that Atlantis had around 20 million people and most of these people perished when the city sank. Quite a large city for that period in history. I find that to be quite impossible to have that many people in a city during those times because obviously the city's land area would have to have been massive."

20 million is a lot of people for Plato's time, heck how many people were on the planet then?
                    20,100 lol sound bout right lol Im guessing there were over a couple millionpossibly 10 or 15 mil at the VERY MAX 50 mil

Comment

I was thinking 25 million, 50 million.... maybe. But what's up with this... "Plato refered in his works that Atlantis had around 20 million people...". That's a lot of people now, the biggest city (pop wise) is Mexico City with 25 million and that's with an Earth population of 6.1 billion.
                      It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

It is possible that the City of Atlantis had that many people after all more advanced. Besides if the City of Atlantis was real then the ancients told platu how many use to live there or how manby could and he exagerated.

Comment

The Atlantis Population
                          As I stated above Plato did refer to 20 million people being in Atlantis. I do however find this to be crazy talk in terms that the technology of the time would not allow this (ie. no skyscapers, no water treatment systems, etc). However Atlantis was also refered to as a city "ahead of it's time" in terms of technology so who knows...

Bible a Source of History
                          Oddly enough a lot of people who study these things have pointed out that the Bible and Plato's works do corraborate each other in terms of historial fact. whether or not you have read the bible, it is a great source of historical data as well as a religious book.

Atlantis Didn't Really Sink
                          I would like to point out that Atlantis is believed not to have "sank" because geologists would debate this to no end that a continent can't actually sink. It was because of the melting of the polar ice caps that caused the oceans to rise so significantly that Atlantis was basically covered with water.

Pillar of the Sky
                          Atlantis also had a Pillar in the center of the city which was generally believed to be a mountain in the center of the city, Mt. Atlas to be exact. Maybe this Pillar idea was picked up in Stargate: Atlantis considering their in a huge pillar in the center of the city.

Note: Sometimes this pillar is also referred to as a Obelisk...

Here is a map of the area around the South China Sea where Atlantis is considered to be. The area in green is the area which are considered to be underwater.

Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
                          - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
                          - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
                          Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
                          Mayboune: *shrugs*
                          - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

I have read theories that Atlantis was actually situated in Indonesia somewhere... A map of Pangea (the name given to the super continent before continental drift tore it apart) shows that Anarctica was part of India and Indonesia which could explain things a bit.

http://www.ig.utexas.edu/research/pr...ges/pangea.jpg

On a side note... has anybody here seen Atlantis: The Lost Empire by Disney? Draws some close similarities between the Stargate universe and Disney's Atlantis universe.
                            "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

I found a website that actually thinks that Atlantis is/was in Antarctica. Basically, if you flip the world upside-down, all of what Plato says points perfectly to Antactica. The reason we flip the world upside-down is because, to the ancient Egyptians, South was actually North, because that is the way the Nile flowed.

Here is the link...it's very, VERY interesting:

http://www.flem-ath.com/del1.htm
                              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X