Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually in "Zero Hour" Carter stated that the tainted ZPM would likely be able to destroy our entire solar system.

Right, the exploding ZPM could destroy a solar system. The shield doesn't use the energy of an exploding ZPM. McKay stated that the shield would have only survived with their current ZPM for a matter of hours under Wraith bombardment.
    "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

It's also possible Carter greatly overestimated the potential damage the tainted ZPM would do.

Comment

I doubt it, Carter is smart 'n stuff. A tiny amount of radioactive material can be used to make a bomb capable of leveling many square miles of the earth. That doesn't mean a nuclear power plant can output that same amount of energy, just because the source is the same. Machines are never 100% efficient.
        "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan
          I doubt it, Carter is smart 'n stuff. A tiny amount of radioactive material can be used to make a bomb capable of leveling many square miles of the earth. That doesn't mean a nuclear power plant can output that same amount of energy, just because the source is the same. Machines are never 100% efficient.
          As were the people who created the first A-bomb, however they weren't sure that it wouldn't incinerate the entire atmosphere. Guess what, they were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
            Now if you want to destroy atlantis what you do is steal an asgard ship and find a black hole, you power your ship with the black hole, then you use that power to create two new black holes with the matter replicator, then you set those black holes on a collision course right above atlantis. Boom! Osscilating black hole and massive gravitational waves.
            Why so much work? Easier just to supernova the sun if you wan't to destroy Atlantis, or an asteroid as the Goa'uld tried.

The city is open to the atmosphere so the wraith could poison it to kill everyone on Atlantis, without damaging the city.

Comment

It's not sure a supernova would destroy the planet. Earth wouldn't be destroyed if Sol went supernova, granted all life on the surface would be extinct though

Comment

Actually blowing up a planet is an insane difficult task and requieres massiv amount of energy.
                We are talking here in the region of 10^32 joule.
                As comparison our sun produces only 3,8x10^26 joule per second in total.
                Thats 1000000 times less.

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedWarrior
                  Why so much work? Easier just to supernova the sun if you wan't to destroy Atlantis, or an asteroid as the Goa'uld tried.

The city is open to the atmosphere so the wraith could poison it to kill everyone on Atlantis, without damaging the city.
                  Why so much work? Because it's interesting. I think I said in my post that it was way more than you would need to do, but it is still interesting. That's why so much work .

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                    Why so much work? Because it's interesting. I think I said in my post that it was way more than you would need to do, but it is still interesting. That's why so much work .

You didn't mention anything about "that it was way more than you would need to do, but it is still interesting." But you're right it would be interesting to see.

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                    It's not sure a supernova would destroy the planet. Earth wouldn't be destroyed if Sol went supernova, granted all life on the surface would be extinct though
                    I never said the planet would get destroyed only that atlantis would.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
                      Just out of curiosity, what do you base this on?
                      They deplete a ZPM in a matter of days.
                      "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
                      Woman:What
                      Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

Comment

If you really want to destroy the planet as well that Atlantis is on then all you need to do is drill a hole to the core with some sort of partical weapon then use one of those Tokra gadgets they used against Sokar

Comment

To destroy Atlantis all the Wraith would have to do would be grab more of those asteroids from whatever belt they did in seige and just start raining them down on the planet.

By raining down I mean towing them up to fractional c speeds and then aiming them at the city or in it's rough area.

If they could drop a rock right on top of the shield I've got to think that would slam the city right into the ocean floor and probably bury it.

The massive and sudden acceleration would also turn everyone in it into rasberry jam, since we know their intertial dampners aren't up and running yet.

If they can't aim the asteroid right they could just use a hiveship in a fractional C kamikaze attack to get the same effect.

Ok so that might not destroy the city (it might if the strucrure can't withstand the acceloration without dampners either) but it would kill everyone on it and let the Wraith start working on ways to move in, which is what they actually want.

It might also be worth trying to open a hyperspace portal right on top of the city to see what that does to it. I'd venture nothing good.

Comment

You know, we could just hand the place over to the wraith for that matter.

Comment

That does pose an interesting qu. Why cant they bypass the shields using hyperdrive tech or can ancient shields stop that as well. With the size of the place getting in without crashing would be possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X