Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beaming technology exists! Already been tested and successful in Europe!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaming technology exists! Already been tested and successful in Europe!

BEAM US UP SCOTTY

Beaming people from one place to another was a doddle for Captain Kirk in Star Trek and now scientists from Britain, Germany and Austria have made a breakthrough and done it for real. They have managed to teleport light particles, 'photons', between Tenerife and La Palma in the Canary Islands. They now plan to repeat the experiment in outer space, by firing them from the International Space Station back to Earth. They hope that the process will one day be used to beam people between the planets.

How amazing is that!!!

I don't know much about science, but I'd imagine that splitting us up into millions of bits would surely kill us?

Dan

Sorry...forgot to mention where the source is from: http://www.itv-thismorning.co.uk/New...?fid=634&tid=2

Comment

Haven't we been doing this for about ten years now?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Transmitting photons is one thing and while an impressive feat the biggest problem with the concept of teleportation lies in converting matter to energy. Afterwards the biggest problem will be converting it back to matter in the exact same form. After that the problem will be whether or not any living thing could ever survive such a transfer.

Of all the things in science fiction I think "transporters" are going to be the most difficult to invent, if it's even possible.

Comment

Wose than that, not only does each molecule have to be exactly right, but they have to be able to hold together as a larger thing, ie a human. On top of this it is hard to imagine that the electronic signals and chemical processes that happen in the brain could be restarted after the transmission, we may become brain dead, or out minds may be wiped blank and need to start from scratch. Then there is the religious issue, if there is such a thing as a soul, would "it" survive? I personally dont see anything like that happening in the next 300 years, if it is possible
          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
          - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by dannster
            BEAM US UP SCOTTY

Beaming people from one place to another was a doddle for Captain Kirk in Star Trek and now scientists from Britain, Germany and Austria have made a breakthrough and done it for real. They have managed to teleport light particles, 'photons', between Tenerife and La Palma in the Canary Islands. They now plan to repeat the experiment in outer space, by firing them from the International Space Station back to Earth. They hope that the process will one day be used to beam people between the planets.

How amazing is that!!!

I don't know much about science, but I'd imagine that splitting us up into millions of bits would surely kill us?

Dan
            Ever heard about the Philadelphia Experiment? If its true, then it's been around since the forty's.
            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
              Ever heard about the Philadelphia Experiment? If its true, then it's been around since the forty's.
              Only it's not true. Never has been, never will. It's about as close to the truth as the idea that the moon landings were faked or that JFK was killed by space aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by FeloniousMonk
                Only it's not true. Never has been, never will. It's about as close to the truth as the idea that the moon landings were faked or that JFK was killed by space aliens.
                Just saying. Anyways, the probable origin of the story was to scare the germans and japanese.
                http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by FeloniousMonk
                  Transmitting photons is one thing and while an impressive feat the biggest problem with the concept of teleportation lies in converting matter to energy. Afterwards the biggest problem will be converting it back to matter in the exact same form. After that the problem will be whether or not any living thing could ever survive such a transfer.

Of all the things in science fiction I think "transporters" are going to be the most difficult to invent, if it's even possible.
                  I found a book on that. It covered tractor beams, phasers, FTL, and transporters. Transporters were by far the most complicated things described.
                  Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                  The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                  A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                  That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                  Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                  Caboose: They could be worse?
                  Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master
                    I found a book on that. It covered tractor beams, phasers, FTL, and transporters. Transporters were by far the most complicated things described.
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...lance&n=283155

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                      Wose than that, not only does each molecule have to be exactly right, but they have to be able to hold together as a larger thing, ie a human. On top of this it is hard to imagine that the electronic signals and chemical processes that happen in the brain could be restarted after the transmission, we may become brain dead, or out minds may be wiped blank and need to start from scratch. Then there is the religious issue, if there is such a thing as a soul, would "it" survive? I personally dont see anything like that happening in the next 300 years, if it is possible
                      I disagree, perfect accuracy isn't required. Degrees of accuracy are. When transporting a bowl of water, one only needs the receiving transporter to know what water is.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                        I disagree, perfect accuracy isn't required. Degrees of accuracy are. When transporting a bowl of water, one only needs the receiving transporter to know what water is.
                        Very true, however there is an undeniable difference between the human make up and water. If we could programme the machine to make it into water then it would, H2O is fairly simple, to transport a human you would need to imput the exact make up of a person (including all chemicals and minerals in the human bidy, which woudl be different to all indeviduals, plus, water has a simple form, as a liquid it takes the shape of its container, for a human you would have to be able to set it somehow so that you can out in the exact same form as you left in, after all, you wouldnt want to look completely different after a transport, and all of those to go through would look the same (mostly, some variations would be present depending on the amount of minerals etc, and that is only if the transporter could be set to each indeviduals exact chemical structure)
                        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by dannster
                          BEAM US UP SCOTTY

How amazing is that!!!

Dan
                          It says firing photons. Is that just the photons being blasted at a high speed or are they actually disappearing and reappearing like a stargate for eg? I suppose I could look and see if it's in a journal somewhere to see how realistic it is and how similar it is to what happens in a stargate but I'm not that interested in physics to be honest. If it's not in a journal nothing is considered proof yet.
                          sigpic

Comment

The real uses of this technology is not the transportation of humans but communication. The technique they use is call quantum entanglement. The whole purpose of useing this in communication is because it would be impossible for people to intercept the signal, with out the reciever knowing about. And I also believe this particular experiment have been repeted several times around the world and now they just figuring out how to extend the range of communication. Also this is not transporting photon from one place, it is the transverence of one partical state to a other particle with out the two particle touching each other.

Here a site which explains it much better that I could and it is easy to understand to.

http://travel.howstuffworks.com/teleportation2.htm

Comment

Communication for widespread use: no. Espionage and antihacking measures: yes. Quantum encryption using photons makes intercepting the message by a listener impossible, because the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle states it is impossible to know both the momentum and position of a particle at any given time, because the act of measuring changes the other property of the particle.
                              Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                              The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                              A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                              That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                              Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                              Caboose: They could be worse?
                              Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                              X