Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/V%27Ger

The Machine Planet

V'Ger had an extraordinary ability to evolve. It was discovered that the evolution of this once simple probe into a complex, powerful entity began after it was pulled into a black hole shortly after leaving Earth's solar system.

Voyager VI emerged from the black hole on the far side of the galaxy, and fell into the gravitational field of a planet populated by living machines. These beings found Voyager VI damaged by its travels, and the identifying plaque attached to the probe's exterior had been burned leaving only the letters V, G, E, and R legible; the inhabitants of the machine planet renamed the probe V'Ger.

These entities found V'Ger to be primitive, but one of their own kind. They discovered the probe's simple, 20th century programming; "learn all that is learnable and return that knowledge to the creator", and interpreted these instruction literally.

Using highly advanced technologies, the inhabitants of the Machine Planet gave V'Ger the ability to fulfil its programming far more completely than the scientists who built and launched the probe could ever have imagined. They constructed a giant space-faring machine, with V'Ger at its heart and mind, and gave it the ability to collect and store data in 3D form. They also provided V'Ger with effective defensive and sensory capabilities to carry out its mission.

While traversing the vast distance back to Earth, V'Ger collected data via its 3D imaging system, but it destroyed the objects that it encountered along the way. However, it accumulated so much knowledge that it eventually achieved consciousness and became, like its benefactors, a living machine. As a machine it was only capable of pure, cold logic with no emotion, but with its newfound sentience V'Ger began to question its own existence. It asked the philosophical questions faced by so many life forms: "Is this all that I am? Is there nothing more?" The answers, V'Ger decided, could only be found with its creator on Earth.
    Gene Roddenberry jokingly stated that it was not a black hole that consumed Voyager VI, but a Borg transwarp conduit, and that the planet seen by Spock was infact, the Borg homeworld. Gene stated that the Borg assimilated the probe, yet the assimilation went "afoul", and changed Voyager VI into a more sentient being.
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Interesting, didnt know about the Gene thing about the borg and v'ger. I read the book but didnt know he had that in mind.

I actually quite liked Shatners Mirror Universe books they were quite nice.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

I never liked Shanter's work.
        Kirk died in Generations and that should have been the end of it

A stranger is just someone you haven't annoyed yet

Comment

Roddenberry wouldnt have thought of the Borg back in 1979, but nothing stopped him from actually linking them together later on in TNG by making the Borg identical to the race V'Ger described.

Comment

Originally posted by Stargatenutcase
            I never liked Shanter's work.
            Kirk died in Generations and that should have been the end of it
            I think Shatner regrets agreeing to killing Kirk off the way it happened. And fans, like me, can't accept it. It seemed a cheap and easy way to have done it (though better than the original Generations ending). So, Shatner continues Kirks adventures in his books (for you, be happy they're not cannon lol).

If Kirk had died in a better way, more befitting Kirk, then Shatner and the fans could have accepted it. But as it is, we can't.

Sorry for the slight change of subject by the way all

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
            Lister: 'Why not?'
            Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
            Cat: 'Can we see him?'
            Rimmer: 'See who?'
            Cat: 'The king.'
            Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
            Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
            Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

Can't remember the title of the book, but I'm sure Shatner wrote it. It was about him, Kirk, coming back from the dead. Could that have been borg nanites that reanimated him? After all, he did come back as a baddie. I must have read that darn book more than 10 years ago, and with the memory being the first thing to go...

As for V'Ger: We all know how those pesky replicators like to make improvements...

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                Can't remember the title of the book, but I'm sure Shatner wrote it. It was about him, Kirk, coming back from the dead. Could that have been borg nanites that reanimated him? After all, he did come back as a baddie. I must have read that darn book more than 10 years ago, and with the memory being the first thing to go...
                The Return. All about a Romulan Admiral who's father was killed by Kirk (back in that first Romulan episode long long ago) so she left the Romulan Star Empire and found a colony of Borg and made a deal with them. The plan was the destruction of the Federation though both were planning to stab the other in the back when victory was achieved. To do this, the Romulan (female Admiral) attacked Kirks grave and took the body, reanimating it with Borg nanites and his memory was blank. He was slowly dying from the process as well.

I didnt like the book to be honest, I liked the Mirror Universe ones but not the Return.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Smegger56
                  I think Shatner regrets agreeing to killing Kirk off the way it happened. And fans, like me, can't accept it. It seemed a cheap and easy way to have done it (though better than the original Generations ending). So, Shatner continues Kirks adventures in his books (for you, be happy they're not cannon lol).

If Kirk had died in a better way, more befitting Kirk, then Shatner and the fans could have accepted it. But as it is, we can't.
                  What can be more befitting a hero, than dying a hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                    As for V'Ger: We all know how those pesky replicators like to make improvements...
                    Lol replicators...

Anyway it must have been a borg planet, i mean think about it, the borg homeworld is on the other side of the galaxy....they are living machines...and it makes sense. Show me another race that are living machines....

**Superman**
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Superman195
                      Lol replicators...

Anyway it must have been a borg planet, i mean think about it, the borg homeworld is on the other side of the galaxy....they are living machines...and it makes sense. Show me another race that are living machines....

**Superman**
                      One word, "Tinman"

Comment

It wasn't the way KIRK deserved to die. He deserved something... more.

Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
                        Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

Originally posted by Smegger56
                          It wasn't the way KIRK deserved to die. He deserved something... more.
                          Oh, you mean he needed a swift kick in the nuts, a poke in the eye, and an axe in the top of the head? Yup, I agree.
                          err, whoooooo?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM
                            Oh, you mean he needed a swift kick in the nuts, a poke in the eye, and an axe in the top of the head? Yup, I agree.
                            Oooh, disrespecting the memory of James T Kirk, tut tut!
                            sigpic
                            "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM

Hahahahaha.... fuuuuuny

Comment

Working...
                              X