This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antarctica

If the SGC has set up a station in Antarctica, that means according to the Antarctic Treaty, they have to allow other nations to inspect the station, exchange personell with other stations, and share scienific infomation. Also, they can only use military personell as support people. How will the SGC get around this?
    Support Cascadia!

Join United States Government Simulation!

Since we have an alliance with a number of other nations to cooperate in the stargate program together and most being superpowers (Russia, China, France,UK ) I think they would keep it under wraps providing false info about the base and whats going on there. Besides there's not a lot of other nations that can operate bases in the antartic. Never heard of the Saudi Arabian Antartic team.

Comment

Atlantis is a fully international expedition, the SGC is also now funded by an international group.
      "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

What about these countries? They are not superpowers, but have Antarctic research programs and can inspect the station at any time under the Antarctic Treaty.

Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Finland, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Netherlands, NZ, Norway, Peru, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, and Sweden.

Don't forget about private organiztions, such as Greenpeace.
        Support Cascadia!

Comment

Also, the Antarctic Treaty prohibits any measures of a military nature, such as the establishment of military bases and fortifications, the carrying out of military maneuvers, or the testing of any type of weapon; it only permits the use of military personnel or equipment for scientific research or for any other peaceful purposes.
          Support Cascadia!

Comment

Thats a good point but lets not confuse fact with fiction. The antarctic treaty on stargate does not have the same rules as the one in real life. Why? because the producers say so, why do they say so? because they made everything else up so they dont exactly need permission to make up a new antarctic treaty

Comment

At the end of New Order, Weir said she was going to supervise the Antarctic outpost, "given all the various international claims already being made on the site." As a diplomat, she could have handled the situation well and maneuvered the other countries to allow certain alterations to their access.
              SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Originally posted by cafine_us
                At the end of New Order, Weir said she was going to supervise the Antarctic outpost, "given all the various international claims already being made on the site." As a diplomat, she could have handled the situation well and maneuvered the other countries to allow certain alterations to their access.
                That very well could be the case.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The Major players are already in it. And for the rest, they have to suspect something is going on before you know something is going on.

What are you going to do today.
                  I am going to see whats going on in Antarctica.
                  By honey.
                  *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                  *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                  *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                  *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                  *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                  *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                  *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                    The Major players are already in it. And for the rest, they have to suspect something is going on before you know something is going on.

What are you going to do today.
                    I am going to see whats going on in Antarctica.
                    By honey.
                    Actually, inspections are quite common. Plus tourists are allowed to come to any station.
                    Support Cascadia!

Comment

Wow, did not know that. It has to be on a map before people will go there. Also, if there is a lot of countries their and it classified through a private company. No one would think different of the place. You are aload there just like any establishment, but don't expect them to let you in their office and play on their computer. You show up from out in the cold and warm up with some coffee or tea you talk to the people that work there. You notice stuff like people from all over the world working for a company that funds the project and nobody things anything different.
                      *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                      *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                      *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                      *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                      *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                      *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                      *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Also most of the good stuff is undergound so if any inspections did happen they only see what we want them to see. ie the lift would be hiden behind some covers, and scientist any one else would be inform to keep their mouths shut and only talk when someone ask a question. Also I guest all the majour powers that would likely to inspect the station are in on the secret. Also the other countries that would search base, well they must have good relations with one of the super powers, so say if saudi arabia would to ask a question about the base, it would probably would be britains that talks to them, and over them something to not to ask question like a reduction in the price of some of the military equipment we could sell them. If it bazil, china probably just over them extra investment, for not asking questions.

Comment

Wasn't there a person in Rising that had Brazil flag on his/her shoulder once. I can't remeber but I'll check. I'm pretty sure though.
                          I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Puget Sound
                            Also, the Antarctic Treaty prohibits any measures of a military nature, such as the establishment of military bases and fortifications, the carrying out of military maneuvers, or the testing of any type of weapon; it only permits the use of military personnel or equipment for scientific research or for any other peaceful purposes.
                            Well to be fair, the military fortifications were already there and can't exactly be moved. At any rate, I'm sure they may keep it hidden from accidental observation with camoflage and it's not like Antarctica is densly populated anyways. Most people who would be going to one of the bases would likely as not be on a military flight (the US Military runs a lot of those) anyways and they would be routed away.

Comment

The dome didn't look that camouflaged to me. Nor did it look like they were trying to hide anything. I mean, John got in without clearance.

Comment

Working...
                              X