This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith and vampires

I was just reading the article on the main page about the similarities between the Wraith and vampires, and I just had an interesting idea. We know in the SG universe the myth of Atlantis came from the Ancients who returned to Earth around 8000BC when they were fleeing the Wraith siege. Is it equally possible that the mythology of vampires also originally came from these same Ancients (who obviously knew about the Wraith)? Even more interesting, the Dracula legend was based around a real person (Vlad Tepes). Now, in real life he was not a vampire, just a rather sadistic person...but is it possible that in the SG universe that he could've been a Wraith that somehow made it to Earth? That would explain the Dracula/vampire legend in the SG universe even more.

Wikipedia article on Vlad Tepes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_tepes

Hmmm, that's interesting, the Vlad himself being a wraith... I dont know, that's actually kind of cool in my book.
    ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
      Hmmm, that's interesting, the Vlad himself being a wraith... I dont know, that's actually kind of cool in my book.
      I'm with you on that one. It would be cool if that were explored, even briefly, on the show at some point.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The Wraith remind me more of Dementors from Harry Potter - who have the power to suck out your soul.

I can think of a lot of legends I'd like to see Atlantis explain, so far they've done diddly squat. I hadn't thought about vampires, personally I think vampires are boring, now werewolves would be more interesting I think.

Comment

Interesting theory. The Wraith are life power suckers and some people/cultures see blood as a symbol for life.
          Imo vampires aren't boring, they are beautiful.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but obviously, the Wraith cannot be killed through sunlight or crosses. Also, it'd be hard to explain how no one would notice vampires when they were running around looking like the Wraith do.

What, a strange skin condition?

Comment

Originally posted by Akai
              I was just reading the article on the main page about the similarities between the Wraith and vampires, and I just had an interesting idea. We know in the SG universe the myth of Atlantis came from the Ancients who returned to Earth around 8000BC when they were fleeing the Wraith siege. Is it equally possible that the mythology of vampires also originally came from these same Ancients (who obviously knew about the Wraith)? Even more interesting, the Dracula legend was based around a real person (Vlad Tepes). Now, in real life he was not a vampire, just a rather sadistic person...but is it possible that in the SG universe that he could've been a Wraith that somehow made it to Earth? That would explain the Dracula/vampire legend in the SG universe even more.

Wikipedia article on Vlad Tepes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_tepes
              I am a BIG vampire person and have tons of books on the
              topic. *perhaps I shouldn't admit this and I must say my interest
              has waned in the past few years* I have long seen the wraith as
              vampires. In alternative thinking we have the concept of
              psychic vampires - those are people that take your personal
              energy when you interact with them. But all throughout history
              on earth there are many types of vampires besides the western
              one - like Vlad. I think it is India that they have the vampire that is much
              like the wraith and sucks the life energy out of people. I want to
              say it is the goddess Kali-ma. but I could be mixing up my
              gods and goddesses. Anyway..it sure did take people a long time
              to see the connect between wraith and vampires.
              Oh well...perhaps I ponder the topic of the wraith far too much
              for my own good!
              WraithyPuff

Feel like slackin', read some fan fic.
              "It's actually safe to create a universe in your basement."
              Alan Guth, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, On M Theory

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
                Yeah, but obviously, the Wraith cannot be killed through sunlight or crosses.
                Well, there is some thought that salt water somehow harms the wraith… saltwater to holy water is not to far a jump…

Comment

i think its pretty obvious thats what thewy are getting round to, i bet the big bad vlad was a wraith who crept in to earth myths somehow...and it all spaned from that...plus the wraith are space vamps, so thwem being that origin of the vamp myth is ironic.
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  Stargate : Genesis |
                  Original Starship DesignThread
                  Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                  11000! green me

Comment

There was a topic about Wraith and Vampires here a while back and i was saying that the idea of vampires also takes root in many other myths including Greek where it was said that Zeus or was it Hera who cursed a woman who became a vampire.

Also in some myths about vamps it was said that they could not cross water as it burnt them and compare it to the Wraith where the Iratus bug cannot stand salt water. The Wraith also appear to be nocturnal which could go to the idea of vampires hunting humans at night and sleeping at day.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

I have always seen wraith as derivitives of vampires. The idea of vlad being a wraith is kool. I think you should take it one step further. Vlad was actually an experiment by the ancients to help them stop the Wraith. So too are other vamp myths. They all stem from ancient experiments. Remember, that hologram said that they burried the city in hopes they would return one day. cool idea with vlad.

Comment

no no take it on step back, vlad was the first alteran to be turned by the iratus bug in to a wraith, he then stared the wraith specie by using alteran knowledge he already had...which was the first boost to the wraith, and they havent really progressed...the ancients took him out in order to stop the wraith getting more advanced and it worked but they just multipied so fast it overwhealmed them, even with less advanced tech they could multiply fast enoguh to counter the wraith...we know the rest.
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        Stargate : Genesis |
                        Original Starship DesignThread
                        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                        11000! green me

Comment

The Ori influenced how what the Ancients taught the second evolution of the Ancients (ie:humans)

It might be likely that the Atlantis refugees could have further influenced the humanity with Wraith/Vampire ideas.......
                          It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                            no no take it on step back, vlad was the first alteran to be turned by the iratus bug in to a wraith, he then stared the wraith specie by using alteran knowledge he already had...which was the first boost to the wraith, and they havent really progressed...the ancients took him out in order to stop the wraith getting more advanced and it worked but they just multipied so fast it overwhealmed them, even with less advanced tech they could multiply fast enoguh to counter the wraith...we know the rest.
                            go back further in time. there are stories from ancient
                            egypt and mesopotamia about vampires. that would
                            totally fit with the whole stargate idea...
                            WraithyPuff

Feel like slackin', read some fan fic.
                            "It's actually safe to create a universe in your basement."
                            Alan Guth, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, On M Theory

Comment

seeing as this is all speculation and fun stuff (Possible Spoilers for Atlantis season 1)

I dont believe it would be a typical wraith, because vampires focus more on the neck, but perhaps it was a(different) evolution of the irratus(sp?) bug, we saw that it leeched onto sheppards neck perhaps the ancients decided to bring some of the bugs back to earth in an attempt to find a means of defeating the wraith and saving atlantis. They could have been experimenting on the bugs and perhaps created the vampires we know today. This would explain the difference between feeding methods of wraith and modern vampires, and it would show that the Ancients didnt give up on Atlantis, they were just trying to avoid the endless war. Of course this is all just my theory but IMO it makes alot more sense then a wraith somehow making it to earth, and it explains the difference between the two species.
                              Last edited by A Lost Cause; 02 February 2006, 11:39 AM. Reason: slight error fixed

Comment

Working...
                              X