This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Musician Thread

Who here plays an instrument? I'm learning the piano by myself. It's very difficult because memorizing all those notes and reading them as fast as words requires much practice. Anyone else suffer with it? Also I want to learn the violin.
    Last edited by methuselah; 28 January 2006, 03:34 PM.

I play the Clarinet and the Bassoon.

Here is a pic.

The one on the left is a normal Bb Clarinet.

The one in the middle is the Bassoon

The little one on the right is an Eb Clarinet ... which is a lot harder to play than the Bb
    Last edited by jonno; 28 January 2006, 04:31 PM.
    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

I play Bb clarinet, alto sax, flute, piano and a little bit of guitar.... kudos to you Jonno, bassoon and Eb clarinet? Wow!
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Wow, kudos to both you guys. How long since you started? You must be great talents!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
          I play Bb clarinet, alto sax, flute, piano and a little bit of guitar.... kudos to you Jonno, bassoon and Eb clarinet? Wow!
          If you play enough weird instruments, lack in ability can be compensated for! - You'll still be wanted to play things.

I'm really not very good at the Eb yet ... it was my treat to myself for passing my Grade 8 Clarinet - and it's a lot harder to blow. Some of it may be to do with getting my fingers too far over the holes. Fortunately, i'll get to play it in one or two pieces in my Uni concert band (where i'm mainly playing Bassoon), so hopefully it'll get better.

I've also had a go at Contrabassoon, as when my local youth orchestra went on tour, the 2nd Bassoonist (me) had to double on their contrafor a few bars.
          Last edited by jonno; 28 January 2006, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by methuselah
            Wow, kudos to both you guys. How long since you started? You must be great talents!
            I started the Clarinet in about Yr 5 or 6 at school, so ... 8 or 9 years ago (ish). I started the Bassoon in year 8 - 6 years ago.

As for the talent ... i'm good enough to get to Grade 8, but i doubt i could pass a diploma. I mainly enjoy playing in Uni bands and orchestras now.

I'd stay TracyJane has the greater talent ... 5 instruments. Sheesh.

Glad to see they're mainly Woodwind. By far the best family!
            Last edited by jonno; 28 January 2006, 04:44 PM.

Comment

When I was little, I took recorder lessons. I could probably pick it back up without too much trouble.

I also sing. The voice is, after all, an instrument. I'm a mezzo-soprano. I started singing in middle school, and kept it up through college. I sang with several choirs and an a cappella group. But I haven't sung since college, and my voice is no longer what it once was.
              I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily say I play... I've learned some piano, acoustic guitar, recorder, keyboard and violin in my time, but my preferred instrument has always been, will always be, my voice. I'm a mezzo-soprano, and I never stop singing.

ETA: CatGoddess... that is so cool. I was the only one in my high school choir, so they always stuck me with either descant or alto, and I had trouble not switching between the two at times!
                Last edited by Trialia; 28 January 2006, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CatGoddess
                  When I was little, I took recorder lessons. I could probably pick it back up without too much trouble.

I also sing. The voice is, after all, an instrument. I'm a mezzo-soprano. I started singing in middle school, and kept it up through college. I sang with several choirs and an a cappella group. But I haven't sung since college, and my voice is no longer what it once was.
                  Bummer.

As for the recorder ... since picking up my Clarinet i can't play the Recorder anymore! I just can't blow softly enough for the thing not to squeak horribly!

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                    I started the Clarinet in about Yr 5 or 6 at school, so ... 8 or 9 years ago (ish). I started the Bassoon in year 8 - 6 years ago.

As for the talent ... i'm good enough to get to Grade 8, but i doubt i could pass a diploma. I mainly enjoy playing in Uni bands and orchestras now.

I'd stay TracyJane has the greater talent ... 5 instruments. Sheesh.

Glad to see they're mainly Woodwind. By far the best family!
                    Nah, I'm not that talented. Grade six clarinet, five sax and piano, and my flute I started in september, am playing grade 3/4 music now.
                    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by methuselah
                      Who here plays an instrument? I'm learning the piano by myself. It's very difficult because memorizing all those notes and reading them as fast as words requires much practice. Anyone else suffer with it? Also I want to learn the violin.
                      no no noooooooooooo! Violin baaaaaaad, viola gooooooooood! You want to learn the viola!

I play viola btw. Anyone else here play it?

I'm warning you people now. If I see one single viola joke...*shakes fist*
                      gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

I play drums and a bit of piano. I also sing!

Comment

hmm lets see
                          I used to play the harmonica and the recorder when i was little. then i started playing the piano. played the drums for a tiny while. but I guess my main instrument is guitar. been playing classical for a few years now
                          - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Hmmm, well I still get out the old accustic guitar and play a good song ... I dunno, I only did it for a trick, you know - just pull it out and start playing at a party or something just to show you could. But I loved the drums ...so much noise!
                            Support SHEX, wear a shirt ... I did!

Comment

Originally posted by gatehorse
                              no no noooooooooooo! Violin baaaaaaad, viola gooooooooood! You want to learn the viola!

I play viola btw. Anyone else here play it?

I'm warning you people now. If I see one single viola joke...*shakes fist*
                              no no noooooooooooo! Violin baaaaaaad, viola baaaaaaad, woodwind gooooooooood! You want to learn any woodwind instrument!

Hmm ... Viola jokes - there's so many, where to start ...

Comment

Working...
                              X