Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should they give Trek the BSG treatment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how about jumping afew hundred years so they can explore new galaxies getting back to where no mans been before

Comment

Originally posted by danmcken
      how about jumping afew hundred years so they can explore new galaxies getting back to where no mans been before
      They can still do that with out jumping ahead hundreds of years. Too me thats a cop out when there are so many ways they could go with the current universe. Jump ahead 20-30 years to explore some of the larger trends in depth, but leaping ahead more than that is a cop out to be able to do whatever they want with out worrying about continuity.

Comment

but it would give the writers a fresh start

Comment

they jumped a hundred years for TNG and that was fine

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
            I actually have a question for the folks that watched all of ENT. I didn't follow it closely at all after the second season but I know they got into the Section 31/black ops thing a bit later and dealt with the creation of the Federation and Starfleet. Section 31 was supposed to have gotten its name from the Secret 31st section of the Federation or Starfleet charter. Was that addressed at all? Since Archer was the one to sign for earth, wouldn't he have known?
            Section 31 existed BEFORE the charter was signed in the final episode of ENT.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
              Section 31 existed BEFORE the charter was signed in the final episode of ENT.
              Ok but then how did it make it into the charter?

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                Ok but then how did it make it into the charter?
                No idea.

Comment

Making ST an imitation rip-off of BSG would be idiotic- BSG is my favourite show of all time (IMHO the greatest show of all time, and more time will "make it so" but that's another debate), and any Trek show that became Gritty BSG-like would just get panned as a cop-out because the creaters couldn't take any risks (Think of why Threashhold, etc. died this year- NOT ORIGIONAL, too safe, too predictable, doesn't take risks). They have to do something different, like BSG is doing, but now it's being done, they need to find another different route adn with the right show runner, they will. They need to hold ST values or it wouldn't be Trek, it needs to be within Starfleet or it wouldn't be Trek, it needs to be post TNG era, and they do need to take a leaf out of Battlestar in the area of character development. Just because they live in a greater future, doesn't mean that the characters need to be cookie cutter perfect people (I'm thinking Janeway here.....). I'd love to see highlights on some of the lower ranking officers- not just the ones on the bridge solving all the problems and saving the day. What about the lowly ensign scrubbing plasma ducts? I want to know who he or she is and what's their story. I want to see them screw up and deal with it. Not every episode needs a happy ending, and I want solid continual story arcs(although I do love the contained story of the week style of TOS and TNG), they do need to give us a little mystery, suspense, and a story line that people can become fascinated with and characters that we care about, even if they're not the best people. (Does anyone else find themselves hoping Baltar will amke it through his disasters unscated even though he's proven to be a far less then admirable person? (please no BSG season 2 spoilers!))
                  I want the Trek that makes you care about the characters, and not just the people in charge, who have proven themselves worthy of their position. I want it to feel like a ship with whatever thousand or so people- not just seven main guys and those that stand in the background announcing that whatever diagnostic has turned up nothing. Simply give us fascinating people with unique situations and we'll love it. Of course that's a lot easier said then done.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                    (Think of why Threashhold, etc. died this year- NOT ORIGIONAL, too safe, too predictable, doesn't take risks).

I want the Trek that makes you care about the characters, and not just the people in charge, who have proven themselves worthy of their position. I want it to feel like a ship with whatever thousand or so people- not just seven main guys and those that stand in the background announcing that whatever diagnostic has turned up nothing. Simply give us fascinating people with unique situations and we'll love it. Of course that's a lot easier said then done.
                    As far as Threshold was concerned, I think they were moving in the right direction. Killing off a major character (the older lady who became infected and they shot down her plane with all the Senators in it) was a bold move. I think CBS got cold feet too early, but we will never know.

I do think that there has been Trek shows that have given us some memorable behind the scenes characters - such as Ensign Ro, Garak, Morn, etc.) who we came to like or dislike. I do agree with you that someone needs to be done with Trek to make it a top show again. But I do think the gritty realism, such as the Dominion War, is definately needed. Those were some of the best Trek episodes ever.
                    -Hamy Seven

Col. O'Neill: "Jaffa jokes? Let's hear one of them."

Teal'c: "I shall attempt to translate one O'Neill. A serpent guard, a Horus guard, and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. The serpent guard's eyes glow. The Horus guard's beak glistens. The Setesh guard's...nose drips." [Teal'c bursts into laughter]

3x02 Seth

Comment

Originally posted by Hamyseven
                      I don't know if this has been posted before so I will ask this anyway. Do you feel that the powers that be should give Star Trek the BSG treatment and relaunch a newier, grittier, series reintroducing the characters and making changes? Not that there is anything wrong with Star Trek the way that it is but I would think giving it a new spin would help the hurting franchise. What does everyone think?
                      No,

Let BSG be BSG for BSG fans and leave Startrek to be Star trek for Startrek fans. I hate when something changes because tptb want to buy into a fad. It was great because it was great. IT was a fad setter, now you are asking them to go against everything that made it great so it can be like BSG. I am sure BSG fans will be happy but I am sure a lot of Star Trek fans (a lot, not all) would feel betrayed. But then that really is what they would be doing, betraying them so they can be kewl.
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Star Trek needs to be re-invented. It's needs new creative blood. Brian Singer is an ST fan and has stated he'd love to do a Trek film, and if he did, he said it would be HUGE. Possibly Lord Of The Rings epicness. I would love Singer to do a ST film.

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
                        Lister: 'Why not?'
                        Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
                        Cat: 'Can we see him?'
                        Rimmer: 'See who?'
                        Cat: 'The king.'
                        Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
                        Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
                        Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

Originally posted by Smegger56
                          Star Trek needs to be re-invented. It's needs new creative blood. Brian Singer is an ST fan and has stated he'd love to do a Trek film, and if he did, he said it would be HUGE. Possibly Lord Of The Rings epicness. I would love Singer to do a ST film.
                          I would love to see a Brian Singer Star Trek movie. Especially with Worf in it.
                          -Hamy Seven

Col. O'Neill: "Jaffa jokes? Let's hear one of them."

Teal'c: "I shall attempt to translate one O'Neill. A serpent guard, a Horus guard, and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. The serpent guard's eyes glow. The Horus guard's beak glistens. The Setesh guard's...nose drips." [Teal'c bursts into laughter]

3x02 Seth

Comment

Originally posted by Smegger56
                            Wow that would be good. You are so right about needing new blood. The problem is most of the main people have been doing it since the rebirth with NexGen. What they really need is some fresh talent. The reason the writers keep talking about leaping ahead a hundred years is because they are out of ideas, but they just need to pass the torch to a new generation, a generation that has grown up with Trek and actually knows what fans are looking for because they are fans.

Comment

Working...
                            X