Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should they give Trek the BSG treatment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should they give Trek the BSG treatment?

I don't know if this has been posted before so I will ask this anyway. Do you feel that the powers that be should give Star Trek the BSG treatment and relaunch a newier, grittier, series reintroducing the characters and making changes? Not that there is anything wrong with Star Trek the way that it is but I would think giving it a new spin would help the hurting franchise. What does everyone think?
    -Hamy Seven

Col. O'Neill: "Jaffa jokes? Let's hear one of them."

Teal'c: "I shall attempt to translate one O'Neill. A serpent guard, a Horus guard, and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. The serpent guard's eyes glow. The Horus guard's beak glistens. The Setesh guard's...nose drips." [Teal'c bursts into laughter]

3x02 Seth

Originally posted by Hamyseven
    I don't know if this has been posted before so I will ask this anyway. Do you feel that the powers that be should give Star Trek the BSG treatment and relaunch a newier, grittier, series reintroducing the characters and making changes? Not that there is anything wrong with Star Trek the way that it is but I would think giving it a new spin would help the hurting franchise. What does everyone think?
    Not starring established characters, but a new series with, I don;t know, how to say it? Good writing and storylines like BSG? Yeah I would be down with that. After Enterprise anything is an improvement. They need to get back the magic they had during TNG and DS9 and the answer is not prequel. It's advancint the universe established already from another angle. TNG and DS9 were the best so they should study those and come up with ideas from there. I should send them some of my proposals for new series.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
      After Enterprise anything is an improvement. They need to get back the magic they had during TNG and DS9 and the answer is not prequel.
      Amen! Amen! Amen! I tried a lot to get into Enterprise, but I just couldn't do it. It was just so bad. TNG and DS9 set the bar very high and VOY wasn't bad at times either, but Enterprise was trash. Good writing and characters is what made Trek so good in the first place and what is driving BSG right now. The writers and producers of the next Trek show should take notes.
      -Hamy Seven

Teal'c: "I shall attempt to translate one O'Neill. A serpent guard, a Horus guard, and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. The serpent guard's eyes glow. The Horus guard's beak glistens. The Setesh guard's...nose drips." [Teal'c bursts into laughter]

3x02 Seth

Comment

Originally posted by Hamyseven
        Amen! Amen! Amen! I tried a lot to get into Enterprise, but I just couldn't do it. It was just so bad. TNG and DS9 set the bar very high and VOY wasn't bad at times either, but Enterprise was trash. Good writing and characters is what made Trek so good in the first place and what is driving BSG right now. The writers and producers of the next Trek show should take notes.
        A prequel sereies for a genre that is so established and complex a prequel series is hopeless. There is no way they can write a believable series and remain true to established canon. And thats what killed Enterprise. Intsead of sticking to established canon, they just made **** up and then threw in time travel as a means of rationalizing it. There are so many stories to tell in the 24th century still there is no need to go back in time. If the writers felt constrained a bit because so much has been done in the three series of that time period then jump a head 20 or 30 years. That lets them explore some of the consequences of the events of the various series, but introduce new storylines as well. Plus it allows for characters from the other series to cameo, and not BS cameo's like Brent Spiners on Enterprise, but as their actual characters. Also the ending episode of Enterprise was quite possibly the worst series finale I have ever seen. The idea of having Riker and Deanna guest star was a good one, but why have the event that they are studying the historical records for be so absolutely innane and unimportant? and they had them try and play their characters from 15 years ago as if it was stil during the series of TNG! Jonathan frakes is at least 20 pounds heavier than he was back then and his paunch showed in his uniform, and Mirina Sitris looks 15 years older, her face has aged. They should have had them play their characters where they are at in the time line now, post Nemesis, wearing their proper uniforms and ranks and aged appropriately.

Comment

*what spg_1983 said*

I knew from the moment they suggested ENT that it would suck I would like a new series dearly but we need a break I think and then get some people who are really enthusiastic on it
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

NO, one bad soap opera scifi show is more then enough.
            The gates are fine as they are, fun shows.

Comment

Most deffiantly. They need to get a new show going where it is grittier and something different to the TREK we all know, but at the same time, make sure it feels like TREK with out alienating the fans.

Star Trek has not had the magic since TOS and TNG IMO. TNG had better crew interaction than TOS, but, TOS had a better crew relationship than any of the shows (Kirk, Bones, Spock and even Scotty).

You look at Stargate, and the characters have that Kirk, Spock and McCoy thing going on about them. Thats what the New ST series needs. Also, i think it should be darker, and even reduce the amount of Techno babble that seemed to plague VOY and ENT, and get back to eonderful deep episodes that reflect the times we live in (TOS being a point for the time).

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
              Lister: 'Why not?'
              Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
              Cat: 'Can we see him?'
              Rimmer: 'See who?'
              Cat: 'The king.'
              Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
              Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
              Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                A prequel sereies for a genre that is so established and complex a prequel series is hopeless. There is no way they can write a believable series and remain true to established canon. And thats what killed Enterprise. Intsead of sticking to established canon, they just made **** up and then threw in time travel as a means of rationalizing it. There are so many stories to tell in the 24th century still there is no need to go back in time. If the writers felt constrained a bit because so much has been done in the three series of that time period then jump a head 20 or 30 years. That lets them explore some of the consequences of the events of the various series, but introduce new storylines as well. Plus it allows for characters from the other series to cameo, and not BS cameo's like Brent Spiners on Enterprise, but as their actual characters. Also the ending episode of Enterprise was quite possibly the worst series finale I have ever seen. The idea of having Riker and Deanna guest star was a good one, but why have the event that they are studying the historical records for be so absolutely innane and unimportant? and they had them try and play their characters from 15 years ago as if it was stil during the series of TNG! Jonathan frakes is at least 20 pounds heavier than he was back then and his paunch showed in his uniform, and Mirina Sitris looks 15 years older, her face has aged. They should have had them play their characters where they are at in the time line now, post Nemesis, wearing their proper uniforms and ranks and aged appropriately.
                I have to agree with you. I found myself making the same comments while watching the last episode of ENT. I really like Riker and Troi but keep thinking that they looked so old. It was a real shame that the writers didn't feel that the ENT characters could even hold their own on the last epsisode without Riker and Troi.

After watching BSG each week, I find myself saying that Trek really needs to follow suit. It probably won't happen, but it needs to.
                -Hamy Seven

3x02 Seth

Comment

I would like to see a new series set after Voyager, no more prequels. Have a new cast, with guest apperances from previous crews. I'm open to a lot in my Sci-Fi, I think I could get into a BSG style Trek.

Comment

Given that I dislike BSG, I would have to say no. While I don't have a problem with the idea of a grittier trek series, I would prefer a show not give in to overly violent, sex driven, manical characters to bring in ratings.
                    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                      I would prefer a show not give in to overly violent, sex driven, manical characters to bring in ratings.
                      Anybody thinking "Vala" at this point?
                      sigpic
                      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                        Given that I dislike BSG, I would have to say no. While I don't have a problem with the idea of a grittier trek series, I would prefer a show not give in to overly violent, sex driven, manical characters to bring in ratings.
                        So cotton candy, fluff characters and plots are better? Yes BSG can be violent and sexual at times, but at least the characters feel real and act human. Trek characters have become so much of cartoons of what people wish humans could be it is farsical. They have tottaly eliminated any ambiguity and humaness from the characters. Im not saying they need to go as dark and real as BSG, they can still have some of their naive idealism written into the characters and plots but they need to bring them down quite a bit.

Comment

The spit and polish image of Star Trek needs some ... tarnishing.
                          The ST world is too squeeky clean and the human race is too peaceful and loving. In the ST universe humans have become diplomats and wear shiney red/blue/yellow clothes and walk around ships that look like that come stright out a display home for all things good and proper.

If they release a new ST they should indeed take a leaf out of the BSG book - not be a copy of BSG. There is already a BSG and the new ST series shouldn't look like a rip off of BSG.

Maybe they could think along the lines of a tactical unit in a smaller ship. Maybe a defiant type ship that holds a much smaller crew, get rid of the kindergarden on the ship and just have battle hardened people on board. Then put them in an environment that was more darker and dangerous than the spit and polish we have become so bored of.

Even possibly a black ops type thing or that secret group - can't remember their name that tried to recruit Bashir.

What ever happens if they do a squeeky clean, the world is fantastic and we all love each other type of ST again it will fail again.

TV shows tend to follow current day political issues. At the moment terrorism and hate are prevelant in the world of international politics, this is one reason why BSG is doing so well .....

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                            Even possibly a black ops type thing or that secret group - can't remember their name that tried to recruit Bashir.
                            Section 31, and I think that would be a good idea.

Comment

Definitely, anyone got a series idea for this?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X