This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power for dialing Atlantis

Why can't the SGC use the power device that O'neill builds in 'The Fifth Race' (and the Carter's figured out how to reuse in 'Point of View') to power the gate to dial Atlantis? It is mentioned a few times that Pegasus is relatively close in intergalactic terms, so it shouldn't be because of lack of power. And they should still have the program to allow the gate to accept the eighth chevron.

any thoughts?

I think it burned out for good after they used it in Point of View. After there took it there, they never showed them bringing it back or mentioning it. Anyone remember?

Comment

Well, that device was made specifically to dial that specific Asgard planet in the Ida galaxy (which we don't know where it is, it could be closer than Pegasus). It was probably calibrated specifically to provide enough power for that one trip, and only once (even though Carter was able to make it work again), similar to the one-time-use stargate from Ascension. It probably doesn't have the power to dial Atlantis.

Comment

It was designed to be used only one time i think.

Comment

yet it worked once more

they prolly left it there

Comment

This is one of those things which I think is hard to reconcile concerning the Asgard. For all the help they've given us with the ships, you would think they would supply a power source to dial Atlantis. Presumably they're benefiting from the knowledge we're gathering there.
            "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

its only to dial the asgards
              Hallowed are the Ori !!!
              Follow the path of the Enlightment !
              Why Sg1 !!?? Why not me!!?? Why !!??

Comment

Naked JehutyV2 is right. They left it there. They determined that they just needed to replace the little vial of liquid naquadah.

Best Stargate quote:
                Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by agent_omf
                  Why can't the SGC use the power device that O'neill builds in 'The Fifth Race' (and the Carter's figured out how to reuse in 'Point of View') to power the gate to dial Atlantis? It is mentioned a few times that Pegasus is relatively close in intergalactic terms, so it shouldn't be because of lack of power. And they should still have the program to allow the gate to accept the eighth chevron.

any thoughts?
                  The thought has crossed my mind before and not to mention all the other possible methods of dialing Atlantis. Way too much enphasis is put on ZPM's.

Comment

so if they left it in the other reality, why can they not go there and say "we saved your sorry butt's, can we have it back?"

as for it being usable only once
                    the Carter's figured out how to reuse in 'Point of View'... And they should still have the program to allow the gate to accept the eighth chevron.
                    I do not see any reason why it would only be usable to go to the Ida galaxy. all it does is supply power to the gate. the power device would have no way of 'communicating' with the base computer to know where it is dialing. IF pegasus is further than ida then i think that the SGC would be able to give more power to the gate with either a naquadah generator or a mark 2 naquadah generator.

Comment

Personally, I don't see why they just couldn't use several Mark II Naquada generators in unison to power the gate. Or even a special, redundant-buffered Naquadria generator, for that matter. The only problem is getting power to the gate, and it seems to me that either of those options could work. After all, if just one Mk II Naquada generator can power the Ancient Outpost, and a multi-buffered Naquadria generator can power the intergalactic hyperdrive... it seems like it should be enough power to establish a wormhole between galaxies too. Oh well... I'm not the writers.
                      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

so if they left it in the other reality, why can they not go there and say "we saved your sorry butt's, can we have it back?"
                        They couldn't do that for two reasons.

1. They would have to "dail-in" the exact alternate universe with the quantum mirror that they left the device on. Considering there would be no way of telling the AU's apart, that would make the job quite difficult if not impossible.

2 (the more concrete reason). we don't have the quantum mirror anymore. Hammond ordered it destroyed after the events of Point of View.

Comment

SSSHHH you're not supposed to ask those questions!

Comment

Working...
                          X