No announcement yet.

The Parting Of The Ways (2713/113)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe the seasons over already and I'm going to miss CE. I had no idea how it was going to end and I was at the edge of my seat waiting to see what was going to happen when the Doctor and Rose were in the TARDIS just before he transformed.

It took me a little for Jack to grow on me, but I really liked him after this ep. and I wish he could stay too assuming we get the next season here. Maybe we'll get Torchwood some day. I'm curious about that.

Comment

This is the best Doctor Who Episode that I have seen!

Wow, look at ALL THOSE DALEKS!!!

One realistic moment in the episode was when
      the woman was looking out the window of the space station
      and a Dalek said "EXTERMINATE," but we don't hear any noise...
      UNTIL THE LASER BLOWS THROUGH THE WINDOW! That
      moment of silence was a perfect touch to the episode!

Rose's boyfriend's character developed in favor of Rose! I'm glad that
      he finally decided to help Rose rather than accuse her of loving the Doctor
      instead of himself.

WHOA! The Dalek Emperor was a great villain in this episode. When you have
      villains that say, "I AM GOD!!" the protagonists have a harder battle to fight
      because that villain presumably is very powerful!

One of the best moments of the epsiode was that there was a Dalek that
      ACTUALLY dies to gunfire. The Dalek attacks the Tardis, but then Jack comes
      along with this awesome cannon and just unloads a huge round into the Dalek! AWESOME!

Even better, the Dalek was screaming when it blew up!
      Anyone else here enjoy that moment?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_06
        Rose's boyfriend's character developed in favor of Rose! I'm glad that he finally decided to help Rose rather than accuse her of loving the Doctor instead of himself.
        That was Rose's boyfriend? What's his name?

Why doesn't he tag along with Rose and the Doctor? He seems cool.
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler

If I recall correctly, he thinks that his life is in the present. Or, he's just a little nervous about going out on "a new adventure."
          sigpic

Comment

Mickey Smith "There should always be a Smith in the Tardis" As for him not joining the Doctor and Rose, well 1 he doesnt like the Doctor, and two the Doctor doesnt like him.
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Spoiler:
              In the next season he travels with Rose and the Doctor for a while

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                Mickey Smith "There should always be a Smith in the Tardis" As for him not joining the Doctor and Rose, well 1 he doesnt like the Doctor, and two the Doctor doesnt like him.
                They DO like each other. The doctor invited Mickey to come with him in World War 3.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

True I suppose, but he always seemed so dismissive of him, as if he wasnt good enough, hadnt proven himself yet. And Mickey clearly doesnt like the Doctor and Rose's relationship in Boom Town

EDIT: I always just got the feeling that they were only really putting up with eachother for Rose's sake. Maybe its just me *shrugs*
                  Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                  - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I think so, after World War 3 I felt they really respected and liked each other. Even though Mickey is jealous.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

classic DW jokes... sometimes they certainly give pause for one to think about...
                      like working out mental jigsaw puzzles for "understanding jokes for dummies".
                      and since the Doctor himself continues to be a mysterious or puzzling theme at times, it's perfectly in sync with the entire "Doctor Who???" series (that means: both the series title name or the *character* joke within the series).

Tom Baker's Doctor once made a comment about the TARDIS' make and model being a Type 40 model... and why he didn't steal the Master's Tardis or someone else's ship/idea when he had the opportunity... mmmm,
                      answer:
                      -- it wasn't his "type forté"
                      (yuck, yuck, hee-hee)

re: "Bad Wolf" and "Parting with the Ways" episode...

whether or not this one was done elsewhere... I never heard of it before.
                      I don't know if anyone else had difficulty with the android as a joke, but I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. After racking my brain all night and all day and still coming up with "whaaaaat??" I finally found the answer on Sci-Fi's forums web site in the list of credits that someone graciously posted.

Jack and the Doctor hoped Rose "worked it out" on what exactly happened to them, and how to get out alive... So, for the sake of all lurkers who also didn't understand, when Rose repeated three times the android's name as *host* of the Weakest Link, and finally made a strange face and slumped down in resignation at the end ~ which told me that something was obviously there, but I personally still didn't *get* it:

what I originally *thought* I heard, this is how I spelled it out...
                      Rose: "the android...? android??! !! ...an-droid..."

but it went deeper... Rose got the joke, thus was partly how she figured out she was in a GAME show, and purposely there to win...
                      android = "Anne Droid"
                      ...listed on DW credits as: Voice of Anne Droid

Originally posted by in circles:
                      Definitely the best regeneration in the series too.
                      Originally posted by SGalisa:
                      I was kinda hoping TPTB would have used the nanobot special effects and slowed the surge effect down a little bit to make it last longer. But as the Doctor implied, that transformation process can be pesky and spontaneous...
                      ...and speaking of special effects:
                      I should add that I definitely liked how the Rose/Tardis/Time Vortex entity atomized each Dalek along with the ship, too! definitely cool!

Originally posted by Major Tyler:
                      Mickey Smith, he *is* kinda cool - and if I'm recalling this correctly without giving too many details of DW/season 27's "Rose" ep, away: he has perfect, facial mime skills, too... Aside from the reading about future spoilers in the "show/hide" forum feature... here's what we do know of his past.

not sure if spoiler brackets are necessary, however, here goes anyway:
                      Spoiler:
                      In the very first "Rose" ep, Mickey had a bad encounter with a bunch of aliens, known in past DW eps as the Autons (known to familiar viewers, but I don't think are actually mentioned as such, in that particular ep - lots of CGI effects used).

The experience was too freaky for Mickey to accept, and he felt a bit overwhelmed by going thru anything similar or worse than that so soon again. So, he asked the Doctor not to tell Rose the truth, and Mickey stayed behind while Rose went off adventuring with the Doctor.

Mickey has more or less (had/has) respected Rose's decision to disappear with the Tardis, but he didn't really want her leaving him. And, yeah, there is sort of a jealous streak in Mickey, because of it; but I'm not entirely sure it's just because of the Doctor, or {Rose's impression or vision of} the actual "Wow, this is cool" experience - and he's missing out on seeing all of the excitement...
                      Last edited by SGalisa; 11 June 2006, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Writers and directors can be extremely clever at times...
                        Had to share this

My very witty, witty husband, who usually gets jokes thousands of light years ahead of me, still hasn't gotten the android joke...
                        ...even after I s-p-e-l-l-e-d it out for him!
                        He simply signaled that it (still) jumped waaaaaay over his head

Originally posted by SGalisa:
                        I don't know if anyone else had difficulty with the android as a joke, but...
                        ...what I originally *thought* I heard, this is how I spelled it out...
                        Rose: "the android...? android??! !! ...an-droid..."

it went deeper... Rose got the joke, thus was partly how she figured out she was in a GAME show, and purposely there to win...
                        android = "Anne Droid"
                        ...listed on DW credits as: Voice of Anne Droid

2 more great camera picture set-ups... with hidden messages within:
                        In the case of "Bad Wolf" and "Parting of the Ways", nearly Everything has a meaning and a purpose, you sometimes just gotta look for them. It's all part of the greater design... {hope this trend continues!}

item # 1...
                        In the beginning of the "Bad Wolf" ep, in the Big Brother house with the all-seeing eye everywhere and the modern decor, I suspected about the props in and around the room, but had to wait for the doctor to put his radar onto the proverbial *picture signal* loud and clear. Will explain in a moment... but-

item # 2..."Parting of the Ways"
                        I knew when I first saw the chickens, there was *possibly* something more meaningful behind it, but couldn't figure that one either, until *after* seeing the ep several times.

a Chicken joke, too? hidden within a more serious situation...
                        Scene is after Rose got sent back to earth, her time stream. Scene is in the diner and starts out showing a bunch of *chickens* roasting in a hot oven...

"chick, chick, chicken??!"
                        Rose is giving a speech to her mom and Mickey... about the Doctor showing her a better way of life; about taking a stand when everyone else runs away. So, who's a *chicken*? Certainly NOT Rose...!

re: item # 1...
                        Including the convenient and strategic positioning of the Doctor in the BIG Brother house, when he finally figured out that *his* being there was much more than just a game ~ the camera set-up had him basically off center, but included the frame of the eye with the moving universe rotating within it.

Yep, something bigger
                        Spoiler:
                        the Controller, with the help of her Masters technology

found him traveling somewhere in the universe and managed to transmat him into that place; and he was determined to discover who or what it was...

Comment

Originally posted by keshou
                          I've been poking around a bit to see if there's any news on Scifi picking up S2 (or S28 for the purists) and found this blurb at

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php

June 7, 2006
                          Ratings for the twelfth episode of the first season of the new series, Bad Wolf, on US television on the Sci Fi Channel, have come in: the telecast dropped a bit to a 1.02 household rating with an average of 1.3 million viewers, down from the previous broadcast ("Boom Town") two weeks before and the smallest average audience to date for a Doctor Who original this season. The show was on a week-long hiatus, with viewers possibly tuning out after the lack of a broadcast the week before. Season-to-date, Sci Fi reports that Doctor Who is currently averaging a 1.27 household rating and an average audience of 1.5 million viewers for the season. The season finale airs this Friday, June 9.

Hopefully "The Parting Of the Ways" had a bunch of eyeballs (with boxes) glued to it so the ratings will be good. Those ratings certainly don't compare with BSG...or either of the Stargates' "new episode" ratings but then again I don't know what Scifi's expectations were. If they didn't pay that much for the broadcast rights then that might be a darn good showing for Doctor Who. Maybe they'll pick up S2 and air it with BSG in October. I can hope anyway.

So Captain Jack's getting his own series. I Jack...so I'll definitely give "Torchwood" a go. U.S. Scifi channel picking up that series will probably be iffy I suppose. But there are always alternatives I guess....R2 DVD's, moving to the UK, etc, etc
                          Blasted americans and their bad taste in shows. =P
                          It feels good to be alive.
                          Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

For all you US people who havent seen series 2, David Tennant is a brilliant Doctor, so you dont have to worry.
                            The Daleks is parting of the ways was brilliant, i loved them, with 200 Dalek ships each will 2 million Daleks on them. Thats alot.
                            I liked the Doctor NOT killing everyone on earth.
                            This was just a brilliant episode. Its a shame i missed so much of series 1 (27)
                            Hola

Hello

Comment

Nice way to end the season, I would've liked to see the Ninth Doctor explored a bit more in another season - ah well, Tennant should be good.
                              I thought that the Emperor Dalek was Davros, he wasn't but the character was just as evil. I hated the explanation of the 'Bad Wolf' and thought that if the creators really wanted it to be something really surprising they could have kept it going for another season - IT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SUPER-ENHANCED TARDIS ROSE BECUZ DAT IS DER STOOPID.

Next season should be good with David Tennant.
                              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I have a few questions regarding this episode that i enjoyed very much.

1. Who actually left all the Badwolf signs? I know it mentioned the Tardis but who would of sprayed the paint for example in the park area?

2. Did Rose only save Captain Jack? What happened to all the other people killed on the station?

3. It showed Countries on Earth being destroyed, does that mean most of the human race was destroyed?

4. Why did the energy from the Tardis kill the Doctor and not Rose?

Comment

Working...
                                X