This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get rid of Ronon?

Am I the only one who seriously hates this character?

He doesn't directly obey orders, Sheppard always has to insist multiple times, or explicitly say that it is in fact an order.

He's too aggressive as seen in
    Spoiler:
    Michael, a very sympathetic character, Ronon attacks him for no reason at all... He was going to kill him, he didn't put his gun on stun!

He is violent towards teammates as seen in
    Spoiler:
    Epiphany, he threatens McKay multiple times! This is unacceptable.

Weir should be fired too for even tolerating this madman on the Atlantis base, the most important mission mankind has ever been on. But that's for another post.

He's a civilian, and a volunteer. What he lacks in people skills, he makes up for in knowledge and ability in fighting the Wraith.

a time to mourn

Comment

I´ve got nothing inparticular against Ronon being on the team though I do question why is on it. So far we haven´t seen him do much of anything that another strong arm couldn´t do.

They need to give him some trait or skill that´s more tangible and beneficial to Atlantis and explains why he´s on the primary team.

Comment

He adds emotion to the team, granted its the anger kind of emotion which is funny at times.

i like his Char, he makes it seem real. If the Waith have tracked and hunted me for a decade, i'd be a little angry to, and want to take more direct action.

He works for me.

Comment

He puts the SGA team in check and makes sure they know who the enemy is.
          Spoiler:
          He knew all along that Michael couldn't shake his Wraith part.
          Plus, I have yet to see any SGA people with his fighting ability. I think he is needed as part of the group.
          Last edited by Major Tyler; 19 January 2006, 05:46 AM. Reason: add spoiler tags

Comment

I neither like nor dislike Ronon, although I think his introduction was unnecessary. TPTB wanted a warrior character who was edgy and interesting, but now that they have him, there's nothing particularly interesting about him. He grunts and fights, that's about it. The sad thing is, they wanted this edgier character to replace the "less edgy" Ford, so they give Ford the enzyme plot (which makes Ford a warrior, edgy, and interesting) and then kick him off to add "warrior, edgy, interesting" Ronon.

Why didn't TPTB just keep enzyme Ford? The team could have captured him in the episode "Runner." When he comes back they are able to return him back to relative normalcy (no more mutated eye) but he is still somewhat dependant on the enzyme. He still periodically has to take the enzyme to live (a la tretonin) but due to modifications by Beckett, the drug no longer alters his brain chemistry (as much), and he is able to retain some of his SuperFord abilities. This way, TPTB have their warrior, edgy, and interesting character, plus we already know and care about him

Think about it...there are so many different angles they could explore. Maybe Ford is still addicted (like a recovering alcoholic) and has to fight the urge to take the pure enzyme from Wraith he kills (kind of like Blade fighting the urge to drink real blood). Maybe Ford (though no longer "crazy") is still somewhat aggressive because of the enzyme and he has to deal with suppressing the "darkness" inside him. There are so many different great plot devices TPTB could pull from this scenario.

Instead of taking this opportunity, TPTB decide to screw Rainbow over and jettison a character because they didn't care to make the effort to develop him. I don't hate Ronon...I just miss Ford.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I want to get rid of him because of what he represents: the sexy alien. He's this brooding hunky guy whose character really serves no purpose other than to be brooding and hunky. Bah, humbug. I'd rather have Ford back.
              Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
              I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
              What have these years left to me?
              Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000
                He puts the SGA team in check and makes sure they know who the enemy is.
                Spoiler:
                He knew all along that Michael couldn't shake his Wraith part.
                Plus, I have yet to see any SGA people with his fighting ability. I think he is needed as part of the group.
                Spoiler:
                Micheal did shake his Wraith part though. He had residual psychological hunger effects but for all we know, he didn't need to consume humans while in his human form.

Placed spoiler tags around here.
                Last edited by DetriusXii; 19 January 2006, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii
                  Spoiler:
                  Micheal did shake his Wraith part though. He had residual psychological hunger effects but for all we know, he didn't need to consume humans while in his human form.
                  Spoiler:
                  But he did desire to become what he was before the treatment - a WRAITH!!!
                  So good intentions?? I highly doubt of those. Ronon was being cautios towards right, but mostly right.
                  Last edited by Major Tyler; 19 January 2006, 06:32 PM. Reason: add spoiler tags
                  School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii
                    Spoiler:
                    So good intentions?? I highly doubt of those. Ronon was being cautious towards right, but mostly right.
                    School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
                      Spoiler:
                      So good intentions?? I highly doubt of those. Ronon was being cautious towards right, but mostly right.

A serial killer has the desire to kill other humans. We don't have to tolerate that desire.

Comment

We've seen his skills as a tracker and a fighter come in handy multiple times, plus he's just fun to watch.

Comment

I think its a little early to get rid of him. This is the first season for the character and I think in some of the season 3 spoilers they talk about developing his character. And his reaction to Michael is understandable considering he was a wraith and even if he did look diffrent there was really no way of knowing what he remembered. He could have very well been lying. If anything he probably shouldn't have been brought back there to begin with incase the experiment did fail.

Comment

Hey guys, I`m new here, this is my first post...it`s good to be on board.

Anyway...on to buisness: LOL

I completely disagree with getting rid of Ronon Dex. First off: They already dropped one big name after season 1, doing this again after season 2 would be just plain stupid.

I really liked Ford...still do, even more. Was sad when they dropped him but now Ronon is on and there`s no sense in switching characters again.

I think the paradox of the whole situation is that the same people complaining about Ronon being a cliche character...are the ones asking for cliche characters in the first place.
                            What...everybody needs to be a noble-hearted hero? We have that already...in Shep, Teyla, Weir and even McKay.

What`s wrong with a character that`s more complex? An anti-hero.
                            Ok...so he`s not the type to help old ladies cross the street...he`s violent, he`s angry...he`s flawed.

Arn`t we?

Are we all noble-hearted hero-gentlemen? I think not. Well...neither is Ronon.
                            That just makes the show more realistic in my opinion.

Plus....he`s brave and loyal...in my book, that`s reason enough to root for him.
                            Teal'c: I am loyal to the Tau'ri.
                            Simmons: Why should I believe you?
                            Teal'c: If I were still loyal to the Goa'uld, you would know it.
                            Simmons: Really?
                            Teal'c: It would become immediately apparent, as I would not hesitate to kill you where you sit.

Comment

I may disagree with the way Ronon is being written sometimes and I may think that TPTB are making him darker each day, perhaps too much for a show like SGA, but I don't think they should get rid of him by any means as he has the potential to be a great character if and when he settles into the show. The first time I saw him in Runner I thought to myself that this guy beats any (low) expectations I've had. That was just my gut feeling about the type of character I'd normally hate in shows which left me pleasantly surprised. It didn't take me actively trying to like him the way I did with Teyla (still trying there ).
                              Originally posted by Amaunator
                              He's too aggressive as seen in
                              Spoiler:
                              Michael, a very sympathetic character, Ronon attacks him for no reason at all... He was going to kill him, he didn't put his gun on stun!
                              Michael
                              Spoiler:
                              a sympathetic character? He was/is a WRAITH. Ronon had spent seven years on the run because of their leisure sport. They hunted him like an animal. Michael turned out to be no better than the rest of them.
                              I can't even begin to comprehend the anger and hatred he must be feeling for the Wraith. And while I don't agree with the way he channels that negative energy most of the time, i.e. killing people without hesitation, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and try to imagine myself in his shoes. He is an alien from another galaxy after all, and TPTB are going to great lengths to show us how he does things differently than we do. If he were too much like Earthlings, I'm sure people would be complaining he isn't distinctive enough. I sure hope Jason Momoa is allowed more input into his character's development in Season 3. Sometimes I get the feeling his take on the character is the only thing saving it from complete disaster.
                              Weir should be fired too for even tolerating this madman on the Atlantis base, the most important mission mankind has ever been on. But that's for another post.
                              Then Sheppard should also be fired for suggesting they allowed him to stay and all the PTB on Earth (including Caldwell) who must have approved his stay in Atlantis one way or another. With Weir, Sheppard and Ronon gone, that wouldn't leave many people on the credits, would it?
                              Originally posted by Major Tyler
                              Why didn't TPTB just keep enzyme Ford?
                              Maybe because they realised his character wasn't going anywhere as they hadn't put much thought into developing him? Also, why the need to drag Ford into every discussion about Ronon? If TPTB decided that Ronon would be a much more appealling character than Ford, it's their prerogative to replace him despite the petition. If they assessed that enough people couldn't care less about Ford, then the only logical course of action is to get rid of the character that may be alienating viewers.

Comment

Working...
                              X