Clear All

Super-stable wormhole?

I guess there are some spoilers ahead..
    <
    <
    <
    <
    <
    I'm sure everyone else saw this and maybe I missed the tread about it, but does anyone else have serious questions about the earth-to-atlantis stargate scene?

I came up with a little theory, and I hope I'm not copying someone elses idea, but here it is.

With the ZPM attached, the stargate has ample power to maintain a super stable wormhole, i.e. for a long distance trip to another galaxy if given enough power the stargate will automatically create a wormhole that is much safer and stable in order to insure a safe trip.

Now when O'Neill went to the Asgard homeworld the first time he had the power module he created to provide enough power to dial the 8th chevron, as we all know. The wormhole looked the same as always, only it took a lot longer and we saw the "star-rush-by" event. Now when O'Neill came out the other side he done so flying and had a very rough landing. Maybe all this happened because the gate didn't have enough power to make the trip completely safe and could only create a very long wormhole, like a bunch of small ones linked together, rather than a very safe one that is a continuel solid, multisided one like we saw in Atlantis...not to mention their trip was a lot better, like a normal jaunt through the gate.

It's a nice theory... but I just think it looks cool.

Comment

That is a very interesting theory.
      And you state alot of viable points to prove it.
      It could possibly be true.
      *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
      McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Except none of those wormhole views are real... you can't see what it looks like because you're just sent as energy through it. The thing we see is just to represent the trip and look cool

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
          Except none of those wormhole views are real... you can't see what it looks like because you're just sent as energy through it. The thing we see is just to represent the trip and look cool
          But as you saw, O'neill was thrown outta the gate in Othala as opposed to coming out smoothly like when they arrived on Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by deluzion
            I think you're wrong Eyu, that couldn't possibly be true. That's preposterous.
            Leave me alone deluzion, go bother someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
              But as you saw, O'neill was thrown outta the gate in Othala as opposed to coming out smoothly like when they arrived on Atlantis
              The SGC dialing computer is anything but 'accurate' when sending coordinates to the gate. We've fixed the problem since then, apparently.
              sigpic

Comment

Or that whole thing Aesir_Asura could be true and the wormhole was more stable because of the ZPM

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                  Or that whole thing Aesir_Asura could be true and the wormhole was more stable because of the ZPM
                  Entirely possible.
                  sigpic

Comment

Nope sorry, doesn't quite work, the asgard end would have had ample energy from the asgard powersupply to keep a stable wormhole. It was more likely due to his unstable state. His brain was destablizing, balance and control would have been a problem, he may have stepped through ok on the Earth side but in the time that it took (as you said it was a much longer time to travel the distance) would have been plenty of time for him to have fallen while in transit. Normally when traveling through the gate the feeling is near instant you step into the gate and then step out, but with the advanced timing and lacking balance, he could have easily fell.

A good example of this kind of affect is when you are walking down a long series of steps really quickly, lets say the first two sets of steps have 16 steps, and the last one has 15, going fast enough your body expects that 16th step at the bottom of the last set of steps and takes an extra step forcing you to stumble.
                    HMMMMMMMMM Hypserspace....

Comment

umm as u may recall the first couple of gate trips sent people flyign out and carter fixed that little problem and then the gate had to send o'neill to another galaxy and the sgc computer didnt have the capabilities to do that even with o'neill's ancient knowledge re-doing the dialling computer

Comment

Hate to be the kid with the thumbtack eyeing your shiny red baloon, but my guess is after several seasons of SG1 some of the actors got tired of having to be flung out of the stargate like rolls of papertowels into a grocery cart.

Comment

i doubt it's stability. it might be that the lack of proper power caused something like interference or so, making a glitch in the other stargate that caused an increase in kinetic energy.

or the energy interface was crude and too much power was being sent through.

or our computers don't have all failsafes that Atlantis has

Comment

Interestingly, the same thing happened in Air pt 1 when the Icarus personnel gated to Destiny. Might it have something to do with the lack of a proper power source? Oneill used a nauqadah-based power source, and so did the Icarus personnel (naquadria). Neither were really meant for that much of a power usage at one time.
                            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Working...
                            X