108 - Is this just a Coincidence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

108 - Is this just a Coincidence?

While at work today I was reading about the NASA probe returning to earth and came across a website with an interesting fact that was unknown to me, but piqued my curiosity being a die-hard lost fanatic.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before being relatively new to these great forums but it seems it takes exactly 108 minutes for a satellite to orbit the earth. In what we know of Lost surely this is not a coincidence and raises some very interesting theories and perhaps answers some questions. I would say more but don't want to spoil episodes for people who haven't seen them yet.

Anyway, the website is http://www.profc.udec.cl/~gabriel/tu.../cp5/cp5-6.htm. Seeing i'm a sceptical person I also typed the question into Google and got the following http://www.uen.org/swan/argos.html.

What do you guys think?

There seems to be a lot of coincidences regarding 108 - I guess we'll find out it's significance eventually. I'm sure the writers have spotted a lot of these, and we'll find out which they go with. Typical Lost!

For now, all we know is 4+8+15+16+23+42 = well, you can guess, can't you .
    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

If you've not seen the first three Season 2 episodes of Lost then spoilers below.

It just seems strange that the timer is ticking down to something every 108 minutes which coincidentally is how often a satellite would be passing overhead. Perhaps this is how the islands secret is kept. I didn't notice when I first posted but the second link in my previous posts contains information about 108 minutes and the word 'swan'. Hmmm......
      Last edited by Oblivion147; 16 January 2006, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivion147
        Spoiler:
        It just seems strange that the timer is ticking down to something every 108 minutes which coincidentally is how often a satellite would be passing overhead.
        When you think of it like that ... if the writers have noticed, then that could be quite important.

Or it could be a complete red herring. You just never know with Lost!
        I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

I like the theory about the satellites,
          Spoiler:
          being somehow blocked from getting anything from the island, the problem is that there is a 4 minute period in which the button can be pushed, in that time something could be taken of the island. Unless a possible EM wave (EM was what was studied at the swan) could act once the satlelite cam into a certain range and the button is to charge the wave perhaps.
          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
          - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
            There seems to be a lot of coincidences regarding 108
            Originally posted by Mr Eko
            Do not mistake coincidence for fate.
            ^Thats all Im saying
            Last edited by The Signal; 16 January 2006, 08:23 AM.
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
              I like the theory about the satellites,
              Spoiler:
              being somehow blocked from getting anything from the island, the problem is that there is a 4 minute period in which the button can be pushed, in that time something could be taken of the island. Unless a possible EM wave (EM was what was studied at the swan) could act once the satlelite cam into a certain range and the button is to charge the wave perhaps.
              Nice thinking, or
              Spoiler:
              perhaps inputting the code triggers something in the satellite and they only have 4 minutes window to do this or it goes out of range.

"Do not mistake fate for coincidence" - Who could argue with that

Comment

Working...
              X