This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Tyler
    It might help if you knew how to use proper English grammar, spelling, and composition.
    well i dont hear anybody else complaining...had ur eyes checked lately wise guy???

well we know that some space anomalies create radiation(gamma mostly)and it stands to reason that ships hulls can withstand this and cause atlantis is a giant space ship and is made of extremely advanced alloys there is some grounds on which to base the argument:the radiation was absorbed by atlantis's hull...does anyone get what im getting at???

Originally posted by Three PhDs
    People aren't spaceships, and aren't that good at shrugging off radiation.
    well the ppl were inside so would not have gotten any radiation
    Last edited by Major Tyler; 07 January 2006, 06:16 PM. Reason: merge
    tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
    yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
    Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RA the sun god
      well i dont hear anybody else complaining...had ur eyes checked lately wise guy???
      ill give you a tip "wise guy" dont pick fights with mods. about the subject about your gramma and english sucking, and i have to say i agree with Mahor Tyler, it does suck. Lets not turn this thread into another off topic argument...please.

on the subject of radiation. Atlantis would be able to somehow absorb or disperse of radiation, after all is is a spaceship. Ocean currents would take away any radioactive particles that landed on it and the high upper atmospheric winds woul blow away the nasty radioactive cloud.
      Last edited by SmallTimePerson; 08 January 2006, 01:31 AM.

Comment

hmmm has it ever occured to any of you that some of us are still in school and have always had spelling problems????no i suppose it hasnt why not just ask next time or say politely btw i noticed ur spelling is a little bit off

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

im not trying to pick a fight, he politely pointed out he thought you ment something else and you went ahead and ripped his head off. I think he had a point and i defended him. And FYI i am also still in school.

Comment

I don't know if this is relevant to this coversation but I thought I heard in 'Hot Zone' that there wouldn't be any radiological damage to Atlantis or the inhabitants at the height the naquadah generator will be overloaded.
            Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
            Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
              I don't know if this is relevant to this coversation but I thought I heard in 'Hot Zone' that there wouldn't be any radiological damage to Atlantis or the inhabitants at the height the naquadah generator will be overloaded.
              you are correct, but that was due to the jumper taking the reactor into space before it overloaded (from memory), the warhead was detonated just above atlantis (the shield to be precise)

Comment

well we know that some space anomalies create radiation(gamma mostly)and it stands to reason that ships hulls can withstand this and cause atlantis is a giant space ship and is made of extremely advanced alloys there is some grounds on which to base the argument:the radiation was absorbed by atlantis's hull...does anyone get what im getting at???
                You don't need advanced alloys to absorb radiation, any solid substance be it a metal, concrete, or even dirt will absorb varying degrees of radiation.

well the ppl were inside so would not have gotten any radiation
                Fallout.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

This is Atlantis we are talking about. The Ancients would obviously build the city with this in mind.
                  Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                  Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Ok, Gamma Rays is electromagnetic radiation, like your ordinary light they will not be absorbed unless they hit a atom transferring their energy to the atom. They would only be present for a very small amount of time before leaving the area. Alpha particles pose no threat because they are large (identical to a helium nucleus) and are very slow (1/20 of light speed). The alpha particles are stopped at the dead outer layer of your skin, no harm done. Beta particles are smaller (electron) and travel faster. They can penetrate into your skin causing burns, But only in very large amounts can they do any damage. Solid objects easily stop the particles. They also pose no threat. All three cause cancer. All three also are emitted by radioactive material found in nukes. The main danger with nukes is that dirt will mix with the radioactive stuff found in nukes and be dispersed by wind where that settle and remain for a long time. However with water currents would take away the radioactive material from Atlantis. There is probably still some radioactive material in the air and in the water but not any more than what you find in nature. (Yes, everyone is being exposed to radiation right now) maybe every one will get cancer but that will be the only side effect. Nothing to worry about
                    Colorado Springs has a zoo. It does not have an O'Malley's.

Comment

More specifically from the dirt sucked up when a nuclear fireball touches the ground. A nuclear explosion, ESPECIALLY fission (which provides most of the explosive force in nuclear weapons today and which I guarantee also applies to naquada enhanced nukes too) release a HUGE amount of neutrons. Some of these neutrons are captured by the nuclei of atoms of the dirt and bomb casing and other materials sucked into the fireball. This transmutes them into unstable isotopes which then decay, releasing radiation and possibly more neutrons, towards more stable isotopes. The x-ray and gamma radiation released by the explosion lasts only the few nanoseconds of the nuclear reaction. After that, all the radiation comes from the decay of radioactive elements created by it. Also I will mention that neutron absorbption is the ONLY way for a material to become radioactive. Electromagnetic radiation such as x-ray and gamma do not have the ability to make something radioactive, nor do alpha and beta radiation.

Also any ship travelling through space at relativistic velocities would need to offer protection from x-ray and gamma radiation as that is a frequent result of encountering dust and other particles in outer space.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamebear
                        Ok, Gamma Rays is electromagnetic radiation, like your ordinary light they will not be absorbed unless they hit a atom transferring their energy to the atom. They would only be present for a very small amount of time before leaving the area. Alpha particles pose no threat because they are large (identical to a helium nucleus) and are very slow (1/20 of light speed). The alpha particles are stopped at the dead outer layer of your skin, no harm done. Beta particles are smaller (electron) and travel faster. They can penetrate into your skin causing burns, But only in very large amounts can they do any damage. Solid objects easily stop the particles. They also pose no threat. All three cause cancer. All three also are emitted by radioactive material found in nukes. The main danger with nukes is that dirt will mix with the radioactive stuff found in nukes and be dispersed by wind where that settle and remain for a long time. However with water currents would take away the radioactive material from Atlantis. There is probably still some radioactive material in the air and in the water but not any more than what you find in nature. (Yes, everyone is being exposed to radiation right now) maybe every one will get cancer but that will be the only side effect. Nothing to worry about
                        ok all i knew was that the most common ''thing'' in space was gamma now ur just confusing me

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Actually, the most common is probably the microwave cosmic background radiation which is the afterglow left over from the big bang.

If it helps, here are a couple of links about the electromagnetic spectrum:
                          http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/sc...mspectrum.html
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum

Comment

Working...
                          X