Allies (220)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
    I agree Skie. It seemed a little presumptious to me as well! It's not like the Wraith can change who they are anymore than Weir can.
    Equally arrogant was Beckett's little sentence:

BECKETT: When I developed this retrovirus for the Wraith, it was to free them from what I perceived to be an unnatural state.

Unnatural, hello? I'm pretty sure a sentient cow would think the same way about us humans eating members of her species, most certainly every animal for that matter.
    This comment was just proof for me that the whole retrovirus arc was out of character for Beckett. He is a scientist for crying out load! Especially he should know that there is no natural or unnatural way but just evolution.
    Blue is such a nice color, especially if you have wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Skie View Post
      This comment was just proof for me that the whole retrovirus arc was out of character for Beckett. He is a scientist for crying out load! Especially he should know that there is no natural or unnatural way but just evolution.
      Wasn't this the guy who, upon approaching a wraith dart that had beamed up two team members offered to help the injured pilot and didn't like John shooting him to death?
      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
        Wasn't this the guy who, upon approaching a wraith dart that had beamed up two team members offered to help the injured pilot and didn't like John shooting him to death?
        Well, I'm not so sure if empathy was the only reason for Carson to be upset:

BECKETT: I'm a doctor. I can help.

Sheppard shoots the Wraith.

BECKETT: What the hell d'you think you're doing?

SHEPPARD: It was reaching for the self-destruct.

BECKETT: He's the only one that could get Cadman and McKay out!

SHEPPARD: I seriously doubt he'd oblige.

BECKETT: Well, we'll never know now, will we?

Maybe it was 50/50 (concern about the Wraith/saving Cadman and McKay).

Comment

Maybe it was 50/50 (concern about the Wraith/saving Cadman and McKay).
          50/50's better than a lot of the other people we see. Just because he's also got his own interests in mind doesn't mean he doesn't also want to help.

Wasn't he also interested in the serum that he thought cured Ellia?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

50/50's better than a lot of the other people we see. Just because he's also got his own interests in mind doesn't mean he doesn't also want to help.
            True.

Wasn't he also interested in the serum that he thought cured Ellia?
            Yes, he was. Shame that turned out to be nothing. Anyway, would be to easy like that I guess.

Comment

Yes, he was. Shame that turned out to be nothing. Anyway, would be to easy like that I guess.
              You'd thin he'd have followed up on it to see if it had potential.

Comment

You'd thin he'd have followed up on it to see if it had potential.
                He couldn't. Because the foster father believed it was working but apparently it didn't because Elia had to feed on humans. So I think it would be no use to follow up.

Comment

He couldn't. Because the foster father believed it was working but apparently it didn't because Elia had to feed on humans. So I think it would be no use to follow up.
                  We know Ellia was feeding on humans, but why would her father use that specific serum? I mean, is it pure placebo or was there some slight effect in some way?

Is it nothing but snake oil or is it similar to eating willow bark soup after an injury?

Comment

We know Ellia was feeding on humans, but why would her father use that specific serum? I mean, is it pure placebo or was there some slight effect in some way?

Is it nothing but snake oil or is it similar to eating willow bark soup after an injury?
                    Personally I don't think it had any effect. But maybe he used for example some plants with high nutritional value. Something in it must have made him believe it could substitute the life force of a human. But yeah, it sadly got never mentioned again. I agree, it certainly would have been worth for Becket to look longer into it and not just abandon it after the transformation of Elia

Comment

Joe Mallozzi's Blog:

ALLIES (220)

Stargate: Atlantis’s second season ends in fine fashion with The Hive, an episode that pays off numerous elements that have been building over the course of the year AND sets up one hell of a cliffhanger heading into season three. That single hive ship headed toward Atlantis finally makes its arrival and – surprise, surprise! – it turns out that to be their old friend, Michael, paying a house call. Before you can say “No! Don’t trust them!”, Atlantis has entered into an uneasy alliance with their former enemy. Well, you know what they say, “The enemy of my enemy is my friend”, and on the surface that’s reason enough to set long-standing enmities aside in common purpose. Of course, it turns out their purposes aren’t common after all but, by the point that realization is made, Sheppard has apparently been blown to smithereens, McKay and Ronon have been captured, and the wraith have the location of Earth – “a fresh, new feeding ground”! It’s a hell of a season-ender, but getting there is most of the fun.

Great to see the character of Michael return to complicate matter for our heroes, even though he isn’t played by Connor Trinneer this time around. Due to scheduling conflicts, Connor was unable to reprise the role. As a result, actor Brent Stait (Andromeda’s Rev Bem and SG-1?s Major Louis Ferretti) stepped in – and did a great job. But Michael isn’t the only wraith personality in this episode. There’s the icy wraith Queen, played by Andee Frizzell, and the amusingly matter-of-fact wraith scientists played by James Lafazanos. It’s always great to see Mitch Pileggi put in an appearance as Colonel Caldwell, and equally awesome to have the irritable Hermiod show up as well. The Asgard’s exchanges with McKay are comedy gold.

Finally, to those who blame the Atlantis expedition for awakening the wraith, we finally receive confirmation that it wasn’t Sheppard’s murder of the Queen but the knowledge of Earth’s existence that lead to the grand awakening. Michael informs us: ” Over two years ago, every hive ship in this galaxy emerged from hibernation prematurely. We thought a new rich feeding ground had been discovered.”

Thoughts? Discuss!
                      sigpic

Comment

It never dawned on me conner was not playing michael in this ep... Might have to go back and re-watch it.

Comment

Great cliffhanger.

I'll say this, Mark Savela is really one of the edgy Visual Effects Producers.

Monday, the conclusion, how will all this be solved.
                          sigpic

Comment

HERMIOD- Indeed. Your assistance on this project will be noted.

Loved the exchange between Heriod and McKay. It's funny to see how he continues to boast about his skills, even to an Asgard!

The twists and turns in this was good. Whilst you always want to believe the Wraith were allies,especially with the creepily sincere 'open' behavior towards the humans you just knew there would be a catch.

Pretty spectacular the way the 'catch' came, setting the trap for the Daedalus and the virus they sneaked into Atlantis' systems to get the info about the one thing they've been after, the location of Earth! Pretty clever those Wraith, and it was a real slap in the face for McKay when the Wraith said it was due to his 'help'.

So, how do they get out of this one?

Season 3 here we come!

Comment

A good season ender.

One thing that annoys me about Stargate is the inconsistency with the earth ship shield strength. At one stage we are taking fire from about 10 hive ships and some cruisers. And manage to hold position for quite a while. But then in this ep we can barely take fire from 1 hive ship. And then after that we take on 2 hive ships easier than we did the 1.

I thought Michael looked weird. Now I know it's because of the different actor.

Pretty scary when we exited hyperspace and got blasted without shields. That could have been bad.

We got played big time.
                              sigpic

Comment

Allies

The Wraith are commonly known in SGA as the bad guys, somebody with one motto and one motto only. Has anybody bothered to think what could lie underneath those Wraith, the type of personality that they hold, the types of lives that they have and the society of which they live in. Well this season finale attempts to explore that with the exploration of the Wraith as possible allies.

The retrovirus that was introduced in the episode "Instinct" is given a big part in this episode and I mean a big part. The Wraith have their eyes on it as a part of their plan, it's moral possibilities are explored in many scenes of this episode and they're even working towards making those goals a possibility. The morality of whether or not someone should be forced to be who they're not is nicely explored here, relating to the new lives of these now human Wraith and what the Wraith intend to do with them once the drug is administered. It may not be like what it was in "Instinct" but it does bring up some good questions, questions as if it's right to watch the Wraith feed on the humans that they turn from the Wraith? a potentially good thing being used as a bad thing, you know the bit... They even have doubts about the Wraith and the seemingly common perception that they can't shake off for obvious reasons; security everywhere they go, the precautions that they take, the reactions that they do, the tone that they take, those things showcase the racial differences and dig deep into the subject of tolerance. Those Wraith are judged for their actions and for their way of life, while we have some understanding of it we can't help to be hostile towards them (save for a few exceptions...) and Michael tells it all too well; the contrast and comparisons between them and us is clever, it shows both the unification and commonness of both races while also showcasing the differences of the races as well. It brings depth and complexion to an episode like this, something which is greatly appreciated.

Pretty dynamic...

The rush to get the gas working contributes much of the episode and it's very entertaining to see that happen. We get to see the characters making quips, utilizing their intelligence and getting their chance to shine; working hard to get that gas working and the way they interact with the Wraith and vice versa just helps to increase the dynamic of them. They look like they have personalities, doubts and opinions of their own and as the episode progresses along and our crew figures out a surefire way to meet their goals, they are fleshed out. What they do establishes that they are more dynamic then we thought and through the montages that are awesome as they are dark, they prove to be the star of the show. That doesn't mean the crew gets shafted; seeing Rodney being amazed by Wraith technology was both something different and entertaining, it fleshes out a childlike personality to him, one that really binds well within his character; we can really connect to him as he explores the Wraith stuff like it was a new toy, it helps us to learn about the Wraith and it also gives Rodney a perfect platform in order to engage a playful personality which is rarely seen from him and many of the scenes will make you laugh I'll tell you that. Weir seems unusually weak here; there are moments where she commands but it just seems like she's there to make quips and remind us about the drama, a contrast to Season 1 where she was portrayed as a more sensible General Hammond. Don't get me wrong, she's good but she could of been better here...

Usually these episodes have been mere set-up episodes; episodes that despite good, don't engage the audience in a way and only exist to build up the anticipation that'll lead up to the next part. Well this still has the feeling of a set-up episode, which mean it can drag at points but it's done in a way that's sort of not a set-up episode and could almost be a standalone episode if it weren't for the specific flourishes added here and there. I think it's good that these people are learning not to think of the first episode as just a set-up for the second, episodes like this are what keep an audiences engaged, they make us expect the second part; sure it's fun to set up the dominoes but really, if the audience isn't engaged to a point then who's going to tune in to the second part?. And we can't forget about the action however small it may be and those are done pretty well enough, they really show the stakes of the crew whenever the heat is on and as the sparks fly and the things go wrong, you'll be at the edge of your seat; I'll have to admit with them that seeing a friendly hive is weird but then again, it's all in good fun and the surprise that happens later on truly is unexpected and really puts our heroes in a predicament with explosions and blasts galore. It sets up expectations for the next episode and it really puts on the stakes even though it involves one of those space battles that have sadly become a part of this format. Still, it shows their true colors, it brings everything full circle (some pretty shocking stuff is revealed here) and it also sets up expectations for the next part, which just happens to be the season opener.

Pretty harrowing stuff...

This episode is a pretty nice season finale, it's not as nice as "The Siege (Part 1)" or "The Lost Boys" but it's definitely pretty nice and it kicks off the two-parter pretty well. The focus on the Wraith as potential allies is a nice touch and it's something that makes this episode unique and engaging, we're glued to the screen as we watch these Wraith and Atlantians work to get the retrovirus working and fulfill their ultimate plans; the stuff that we learn from them is intriguing and ultimately beneficial to the show as a whole; it has some flaws but we're so glued to the screen that we'll be awaiting what they'll have come next season.

8.5/10
                                Back from the grave.

Comment

Working...
                                X