Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123 45613 ... LastLast

Thread: Inferno (219)

Default Re: Inferno (219)

wow looks like I'm the first one who didn't like it....

First it confirms my general idea about season 2 ... they have good ideas, but don't know how to deal with them.

I'm sorry but the writing for this ep was bad, the dialogue were poor...
    Teyla and Ronon were ... uh, useless in the first part of the ep, they're here but have no lines.
    The blond chick... Well she must have gone to the wrong set, she was probably supposed to go to THE OC. She looked like everything but a scientist, she keeps following Mckay everywhere, she does nothing, says nothing, helps no one ... OH NO WAIT! At least Sheppard has something to look at! the Sheppard and the blond thing was PAINFULLY RIDICULOUS!!

The episode could have been really good, I like this moment between TEyla and Ronon but here again, it's really short and instead of saying " you were right" " no you were" " no no, you were" ... well they could have found something deeper to develop a bit their interaction.

The whole Mckay plan was uh ... cool but SERIOUSLY??? a bit too much... I loved David's acting though. Was pretty funny.

Well here again, we get to save the world, everybody is safe ( except the group who left of course, but we needed them to give some lines to Ronon and Teyla)... Will we have a bit of drama sometimes??? Sheppard isn't a super hero, that'd be great to see him fail sometimes.

And of course we knew they wouldn't die since it was AGAIN Mckay and Shep who were stuck ... that SOOOO kills the suspens. I would have felt more worried if it was Ronon or Beckett, or even Lorne... Cause we know they don't mind killing off some characters at this time of the year....

Well at the end, we're back to the siege ... the wraiths are coming... but with only one ship ... UH UH SUSPENS, but déja vu.

Good points (because I don't watch stargate just for the pleasure of criticizing afterward): Awesome SFX, good characterization of Weir who is not too dark but still deeply changed. David terrific acting, funny moments in the Orion between Mckay/Shepp/blond thing/beckett when mckay explains his plan. Nice intercation between Weir and the Chancelor, who is a great guy with normal reactions. hermiod!love. Nice Shepp and weir scene at the beginning (definitively not ship and that's GREAT).

Woo! It rawked! My theory that Carl Binder writes one awesome script, one "blah" script, one awesome, etc... seems to be correct. The visuals were pretty badass, too. ^_^

-McKay was hilarious.
    -Sheppard was after the girl again. The only girl he should be after is on Atlantis and has nice hair and likes to wear red and black. What more could you want?
    -Lots of good stuff going on at once.
    -Booyah, we got a ship!
    -Teyla and Ronon together again? Gwah! It's cool and all, but explore the other dynamics. There's been a big demand for this.
    -I wish those two hadn't been beamed out. There should have been a more creative way to save them, though in this case it made sense for the Daedalus to be saving the day.
    -The approaching Hive Ship thing reminded me of The Brotherhood. But I suspect this time things are going to go a lot differently.
    -The mustache guy and his followers ran to their deaths! Gwahahah!

So, who here thinks Allies might be the best episode ever? Martin Gero rules.

Captain

Oh how I loved this ep. I mean, it's just beyond words.

Faulty science? I have a shield in my brain for that sort of thing. It separates the explanation given from anything remotely resembling real life. It works rather well.

Where do I start? Attractive blonde scientist chick was fun, and well-acted. Yay for her not feeling like a random alien bimbo. I'm far too lazy to look up the actress's name now, but wasn't she on Andromeda.

The John and Rodney almost-but-not-quite angry banter was quite fun. With the talks about blowing up a planet and Rodney working better under pressure, I was kinda wishing that this scenario had been played out closer to "Trinity" and "Condemned". It kinda follows along that thread of character interactions.

John & Elizabeth's conversation about Rodney and Norina(sp?) was quite amusing. I also loved Liz's remark about the Chancellor. Don't worry, you'll get your hot alien man eventually.

McKay freaking out. Loved it. Because a McKay freak-out cannot be diverted by the mere presence of a hot woman. It's just so him.

Ya gotta wonder where McKay got all this expertise on everything under the sun. Volcanos and geothermal energy? A little out of an astrophyscist's usual baliwick, isn't it?

Oh, and Carson being all "that's outside my baliwick" and Teyla being all "huh?" Too fun.

Zelenka!!!!!! *does happy dance*

"Maybe McKay can fix it." Of course McKay can fix it. He's may not be Superman, but that's okay, he's better than Superman. All hail the might of McKay, for he can fix anything. Yeah, putting all the responsibility on his shoulders is what leads to things like "Trinity", but it's just. so. awesome.

"This is so unfair." It's okay Rodney, they only do it 'cause they love you.

The innuendo!
    "Perhaps one day I could study under you."
    (Shep eye-roll!!!!!)
    "...But first we need to get off - ah, first we need to get off the planet, and then you can be under me - "
    And then the tremor, and she ends up in Shep's arms, and Rodney just rolls his eye and walks away.
    The eye-rolling! and the innuendo! and the almost-but-not-quite-kirkiness! That's pretty much the second-best scene in this ep.

*pauses to contemplate Shep's arms*
    and back to the review

"Oh well, I guess we're all gonna die."..."Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. It has nothing at all to do with saving the lives of these people; it's all about you."
    I'd forgotten how much I love Joe Flanigan's deadpan delivery. It's one of the reasons I love Shep as a character. *hugs JF and sends good vibes his way*

I like that there were people they couldn't save, people who refused to be saved. It made the ep feel a little more real. Humans are stubborn and frustrating like that.

Ronon running with a child in each arm = such a great hero image.

Teyla and Ronon with the almost dying and being beamed aboard the Daedalus. I would have felt this more if there had been a "What are the chances of Teyla and Ronon being alive?" moment. Just a half-second would have brought it back to the team, making it a better ep, IMHO.

"Talk amongst yaselves. I have an idea."
    "But-"
    "Can't talk, busy."
    "Bu-"
    "Not now please."
    I love the McShep show. It's not great for every ep, but damn it was good here. *shivers in fangirl love*

Caldwell all antsy 'cause Shep kept him from going into hero mode. Also brings up an interesting point. Shep does have a bit of a hero complex, which is going to bite him in the butt (again) later.

Love that McKay asked Beckett about Teyla and Ronon, shows that he does have concern about his team. If only they had followed it through later.

And the best moment of the entire episode:Rodney's explanation of the plan.
    Because OMG. There are no. words.

"Then what?"
    "Then Norina and I were planning a small dinner, nothing fancy, just -"
    "Rodney!"
    "What does he mean then what?!"
    I just need to take a moment to say how much I love Rodney. This ep is Rodney in all his glory, freaking out, snarking, mocking, sarcastic, hypchodriac, oh-so-loveable Rodney. *hugs DH for being awesome*

Shep's pre-flight instructions were very IC.

The explosion and then the ship's jump through hyperspace was bad-a**. That's all there is to it.

"You really are a genius." Oh, she totally went for Rodney instead of Shep.

Yeah, this was a Rodney-heavy review, but it was a Rodney-heavy ep, and I loved it. I also love Weir's closing line: "It's all we've got." A very strong, we'll get through this kind of line.

The plot was okay, the dialouge was stellar, as was the acting. Stuff like this is why I love Atlantis.

Staff Sergeant

I belive this was one of my favorit episodes of the second half of season 2

I mean the usual McKay save the day thing happend.
    But getting an actual working ancient warship outbeats everything thats happend to atlantis. We scored Drones in The Tower but getting a Warship tops that 10-1. The people were actualy nice and didnt try and blow us up or nothing or steal the ship away.

All in all a great episode 9/10 I think

Brigadier General FallenAngelII's Avatar

Yeah, I disliked the blonde scientist woman as well. I often found myself thinking "Go away! You look stupid!". I mean, nothing against the actress, she couldn't help it. She was written that way.

But other than that, I loved this episode. It even had John/Rodney ship XD XD XD. Sheppard kept looking jealous and possessive (especially when the blonde scientist woman made a double enténdre. He rolled his eyes and pushed his head back) and then when he accidentally had a "moment" with the scientist, McKay looked jealous and possesive.

And their little banter. And him calling the scientist... "attractive" and saying that Rodney was acting... "pathetic". And the teasing of Rodney. No, really. It's like someone slashified the script. Maybe I've been reading too much McKay/Sheppard slash for the past two days (when I started reading it).

Talking Re: Inferno (219)

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    I love the bit when Mckay, and Shepperd were fighting over the ships name. And Shepperd says 'No, we're not calling it the Enterprise". And i just watched the ep. where Jack and Sam were arguing about the name of Prometheus.
    The original name Sucked. I would hate to have that name,(i forget it) even if you got your name on a ship.
    My husband said that they should rename it to "Professor Lidenbrock"... And I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by starfox
    Where do I start? Attractive blonde scientist chick was fun, and well-acted. Yay for her not feeling like a random alien bimbo. I'm far too lazy to look up the actress's name now, but wasn't she on Andromeda.
    She did. And in SG-1, too - she had been the Tok'ra Zarin in 'Endgame'.
    And I should add that it has been really nice to hear Ronon laugh.
    Last edited by joasia; January 24th, 2006 at 12:12 PM.

Okay, hands down, the best ep of the season so far. Fabulous human drama, with volcanos! I love how Binder never forgets who his characters are and how they interact with each other. So many lovely character moments, especially between Sheppard and McKay. They were a delight to watch, and quite frankly, I can never get enough of the Sheppard/McKay show. To me, this was the anti-"Trinity"--Rodney saves the day, despite his doubts, and John has endless faith in him, while baiting and encouraging and teasing. There's real affection there, and it's lovely to see.

And the blonde scientist woman, flirting shamelessly with both of them? Was quite entertaining. A babe of the week that I actually liked.

This ep had a real "team" feel to it, everyone doing their part, without feeling like a character has been shoehorned in just to get some screentime. The pacing was great, the tension, the dialogue, everything was wonderful. The sense of relief at the end, when everyone was safe--now that's what I love about this show. Seeing people who care about each other.

An exciting, action-filled ep with explosions, and spaceships, and real people trying their best to save the day and each other--this is what Atlantis does best.

I am a very happy fan.

Sindet

Quote Originally Posted by Sindet
    To me, this was the anti-"Trinity"--Rodney saves the day, despite his doubts, and John has endless faith in him, while baiting and encouraging and teasing. There's real affection there, and it's lovely to see.
    Ooooh, I like this comparison! Nice to see that mirror here. Thanks for this little connection.

This ep had a real "team" feel to it, everyone doing their part, without feeling like a character has been shoehorned in just to get some screentime. The pacing was great, the tension, the dialogue, everything was wonderful. The sense of relief at the end, when everyone was safe--now that's what I love about this show. Seeing people who care about each other.
    Ahhh...perfect. Love the team eps -- especially when the throwaway lines are kept to a minimum. Cool.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

While I get started on the transcript, did anyone get the end credits? My version ended before they ran. Was the guy who walked off to his death with some others named in the credits, cos I don't remember him being named during the episode. Also, did anyone watch with c.c. on and so can give me the proper spellings of Norena/Nureena/Noreena and the Chancellor?

Thanks for any help! I'll let you know when the transcript's up.

Sorry my version ended before too. And unfortunately, the character is not quoted on IMDB or even on the official website of Brandy Ledford

Second Lieutenant

They were not putting more energy into the volcano. They were drawing more out of it. Think of it in terms of layers : they were sucking up magma from Layer one, however, they then started drawing up more and more than it was designed to do. So what happened was Layer one started to dry out and therefore lower Layers started to get sucked up to it. From this the flow started to break through and everything started going up. This lead to instability and bam!

I just got done receiving the show from my 4th cousin Bit in the Yukon and I must say that this episode was one of the better ones this season. I like the idea of the Orion being around.

Can I just say that the visual effects in this one totally rocked? I LOVED them!

The blond I could go either way on. She didn't really do anything. The tension between John and Rodney could have been really hilarious. Unfortunately, since John has gone after just about every female he's run into, I just got annoyed that he was going after another one. If it didn't happen as often, I would have found it hilarious.

I loved Elizabeth's "what's he like?" comment. Oh, Lizzie, you need teh secks.
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Last time I checked: Germany, not Atlantis. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear
    And you're an expert on the science behind Ancient shield technology? Otherwise how would you know that the shield generator drawing energy from the volcano couldn't cause it to become unstable?
    Well, it's science fiction and of course it's everyone's right to ignore the scientific explanations and just enjoy the fiction aspects. That's alright. But I'm interested in the scientific explanations, and I think in this case Jarnin is right:
    you can't add energy to something you're extracting energy from.
    Laws of physics. And increasing the pressure inside the volcano means adding energy. But they don't do that. I don't think the volcano would be bothered by the shield of the ancients, no matter how long it runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by starfox
    Ya gotta wonder where McKay got all this expertise on everything under the sun. Volcanos and geothermal energy? A little out of an astrophyscist's usual baliwick, isn't it?
    I'm one of the people who really don't like it when scientists become super-scientists on TV (like Sam Carter), but in this case I think it's not so unusual that McKay knows something about the "event of the day". Yes, he's no geologist, but he knows a lot about physics (and thermodynamics is a part of that), and maybe he doesn't know all the details about volcanos. But he can know the basics (maybe it's a hobby. ). And there wasn't much he said about super volcanos that I didn't know or hadn't heard before (and I really don't know that much about them), so I think his explanations and knowledge were believable in this ep.

Bye, A.
    ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
    ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Staff Sergeant

Scifi is the name Stargate Atlantis Appears on in the Us Scifi Scifi stands for Science Fiction Fiction means Fake Correct? Well Heres my explenation on the whole volcano explosion thing. They wrote it It doesnt have to be logicial It just happend. lol I mean why try and explain something when either A you know its wrong or B its doesnt need to be explained? I know I enjoyed the episode just the same weather or not its scientificly correct

The situation could have been resolved much more easily if the Daedalus had just plucked a gate from a neighboring planet and used it to evacuate everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantevilhead
    The situation could have been resolved much more easily if the Daedalus had just plucked a gate from a neighboring planet and used it to evacuate everyone.
    Who's to say that there was a planet with a stargate nearby. And for that matter, who's to say that if they did bring a new gate, that it wouldn't have just got sucked into the volcano like the last one. Also, I liked the fact that the Daedalus didn't save the day. Sure, they had it help out briefly, but I think they ep wouldn't have been as good if they could have just stepped in and resolved the problem in a matter of minutes. It gave the characters a chance to find their own solution, and made for a pretty awesome episode in my opinion. I just finished an earth science course last month (volcanoes being the coolest part), and I just loved all stuff about in the ep about the super-volcano, albeit, some of it was a tad bit incorrect, but hey it's fiction.

Airman

I must agree with the majority of you and say that this has been one of the best episodes this half of the season. It seems that the episodes are slowly getting better since Coup d'etat. I now cant wait to Allies next week. I loved how they went back to the whole team-driven episodes, it just works alot better this way for some reason.

I also thought that the whole E.L.E. (dont ask me to spell it all out, but think 'Deep Impact' and meets Pompeii) I am finding that Ronon and Teyla are a great pair together, they work really well with one and other.... Almost like they are twins... McKay, he is someone that you have to come to like. Yes he may be whiney and freak out alot, but it works, especially when he is really the only one that can save the team from their inpending doom. And John is just John.

Quote Originally Posted by GateByte
    Who's to say that there was a planet with a stargate nearby. And for that matter, who's to say that if they did bring a new gate, that it wouldn't have just got sucked into the volcano like the last one. Also, I liked the fact that the Daedalus didn't save the day. Sure, they had it help out briefly, but I think they ep wouldn't have been as good if they could have just stepped in and resolved the problem in a matter of minutes. It gave the characters a chance to find their own solution, and made for a pretty awesome episode in my opinion. I just finished an earth science course last month (volcanoes being the coolest part), and I just loved all stuff about in the ep about the super-volcano, albeit, some of it was a tad bit incorrect, but hey it's fiction.
    At the very least they could have used the Atlantis gate. They didn't have to put the gate down inside the volcano, it'd be stupid to do that. They could have put it on the other side of the planet far away from any danger and then beamed people to the gate, it would have been slower but still much faster than ferrying people to Atlantis. Once they finished evacuating the people, they could have had Hermiod and Zelenka help McKay fix the Orion.

That was one god damned excellent ep....def. the best next to the Siege P3 this season
    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!