No announcement yet.

Michael (218)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me this ep marked one of the biggest down sides to SG morality. Back in the good ole days of SG1, we had many high sides where we put morality over doing 'what was right at the time' such as with the Unas, the stopping the NID use the symbiot poison etc.. This is that one ep where i felt we stepped over the line into being as bad as the bad guys.

Comment

Mid week, another ep of Atlantis.

1. I maintain that making Michael human was a good idea. The Wraith are ultimately parasitic by nature, if this had worked our guys would have been sorted.

2. Having said that, everything seemed doubly awkward this time around.

3. Also Ronon's stupidity becomes painful. It really becomes car crash tv.

4. The only risk looking back, is that what if Michael had committed suicide due to the revelation?

Still a big ep.
      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

A pretty good ep.

It's a pretty dark ep as well. Can't help but feel extremely bad for Michael. Even knowing what he used to be.

I can't help but think that they brought in Michael as a replacement for Wraith Ford.

I look forward to the Michael eps.
        sigpic

Comment

I haven't watched it for awhile, but did Sheppard tell Ronon off with a look because his gun wasn't set to stun while he was chasing Michael. I've been wondering if I've been remembering this wrong...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
          "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
          a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
            I haven't watched it for awhile, but did Sheppard tell Ronon off with a look because his gun wasn't set to stun while he was chasing Michael. I've been wondering if I've been remembering this wrong...
            Yeah pretty much.

Shep: I figured you would forget to set it to stun.
            sigpic

Comment

Michael

They say that there exists an infinite number of stories out there; some common, others never thought of in their lifetimes and for an infinite number of stories comes a few gems which manage to showcase the potential of what the human imagination can do. In this case we have a story about a fellow young amnesiac who can't remember a single thing of his life, he doesn't know anything but he's supposedly around Atlantis for a long time. Maybe he was one of those people in the background, maybe we've just missed him but all we know is that his name is "Michael" and he's the focus of this episode.

Now our character is a pretty interesting fellow; though he looks clean cut and though he has no personality or memories of his own, we're attracted to him, we're drawn by his every move... The way that he speaks is almost childlike and his desire to learn is something that makes him what he is, he's aware of his surroundings but he has no idea what anything is and additionally, we have no idea what his life is either. He's a true unknown, someone who's life is constructed bit by bit; he seems like a good fellow the way that he is, with a seemingly normal life, common issues, certain flaws and pieces of the puzzle that make him an interesting subject to watch; our connection with him tightens as the episode progresses, helping us to adjust to what's to come and helping Michael to grow as a whole. Now things may seem normal at first, starting off as just an episode about a patient recovering but they keep on introducing more and more weird stuff, seemingly drawing attention to the more innocent aspects and placing our character in a path of self discovery. The stuff in the background, the small stuff that our characters does slowly getting pushed into the foreground, intersecting with Michael at ever varying times until it reaches a boiling point, one that changes the entire mood of the episode.

Pretty interesting.

The character of Michael allows for a pretty good character drama but it also allows for some tougher stuff to come out, dark stuff that this episode is known for. Time after time the Wraith have been the subject of judgement with it's evil ways and it's questionable morality and with Michael the subjection of that morality is pushed to the extreme. What we learn of Michael will really question if those people are different from the Wraith, especially when it comes to the judgement of the actions that they did and the reasoning for why they did it. There are tons of questions to be asked just by watching Michael in the second half and some of the scenes regarding our crew; is it really right to test them by force, is it right to lie about them, is their reasoning really for the benefit of them? It's just, it's truly something that fleshes out the grey area that has no clear answer, especially when it comes to the self-awareness of Michael and their perception of the Wraith and the way they treat him, the way they want him to remain human against Michael's wishes... It's almost like our heroes have turned into the morally objectionable villains; a reversal of the roles they've known so well yet the show still thinks of them as heroes in the end. Never has something like this in Atlantis been turned on it's ear.

The focus on Teyla has also got to be commended; at first it seems like she's just a friend checking him out, a potential love interest then it turns into a possible connection as they progress and then it just grows into so much more at the end, slowly highlighting a connection that they have. Her versatility is impeccable, they truly keep what connects them tightly a secret, making the viewer think multiple things in regard as to why they're together and even making us guess about Michael himself. It's almost like she's an unintentional big part in this; she appears in certain scenes, she appears near Michael but she isn't given as much focus as Michael; it's almost as if she's just there in that it plays a part in Michael's story, one that would prove to be vital despite the randomness of the pairing. It's funny how the thing progresses from possible friends to a full blown connection with her playing a massive part in the end; really challenged how the mind perceives people near each other and how many interpretations it can make of that connection, especially when it comes to her friendly, tough, persistent and determined personality.

Michael + Teyla = A versatile combination.

Whoever wrote this must of been really talented because this seems like something that should be a movie. As I said before, the progression is amazing; it's like a bike, it starts off slow but then we gear up as we gear up those times the dark stuff and violent bits start to increase, like it's preparing us, getting us used to the stuff that's being introduced and the stuff that changes the episode in radical ways. We can't just cut to the moment where he gets violent, we have to watch him as he progresses, earning our way to the point where he does become violent which is where the episode comes full circle, leading to an ending that shakes things up for Atlantis once again. Then there are the various camera screens, the security guards and the commandeering-tone; those things are small touches that help to establish the paranoia of his world, it isn't given much focus but man is it an essential part of the episode. These touches compliment Michael; they don't get in the way, they compliment and though some of it is referenced, it stays mostly in the background until the point where they decide to pull the curtain from under us. Stuff like this is what makes episodes what they are, from the slow progression to the seemingly shifty inclusion of small touches, they are what give life to an episode and allow us the viewer to get immersed in an episode; they also allow for an episode to make comments and statements, provide something underneath it's background, they are things that really show what something can be if they put their mind and ideas to it and this is a prime example of what scriptwriting is capable of.

So... Michael. I have to say one of the best episodes of SGA yet. It's up there with the classics and it's among the best of the season. It really uses a person who we know nothing about and manages to turn him into a subject who's focus deserves great mention; I have nothing more to say then to see this episode.

10/10
              Back from the grave.

Comment

Do these guys even know what the Geneva Convention is? It was one thing when the Hoffan drug was used to protect people to tamper with the DNA of enemy violates even the most basic of ethical laws. And that is why this episode is so great and why Micheal was an interesting villian. I liked the debate among the members of what to do with Micheal and the retrovirus just because it is so unethical. And seeing what happens when you ignore and go against ethics. They are there for a reason and when you turn a bling eye to them you are liable to get into trouble. Look how they made the Wraith aware of Atlantis' prescence. One thing that always bothered me was Micheal used Wraith abilities to use Teyla to free him. The Wraith have never shown that level of telepathic abilities. It bothered me how they are so varying in the power of the Wraith's telepathic abilities.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

My LiveJournal post
                  Woah... new Wraith-y developments... kinda scary...
                  "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                  "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                  "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                  "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                  >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I really liked this one. I had me going nuts in the start, trying to figure out what was going on. It seemed a little akward though. But I guess we will see Michael later?

Comment

This was a very Dark episode i like Connor playing Micheal he is a good Actor. This episode kept me very interested the whole time and was well written i think im gonna skip ahead on my Atlantis Re Watch to see it again
                      sigpic
                      Kenton Canada

Comment

This script was more daring and bold than most other television stories in portraying the Human society from perspectives which most would pretend don't exist. In the average show we are told that submitting to doctors and the police is the only thing to do, and the end of it. But not in Michael.

Once again, if I was a member of the Atlantis expedition, I'd become concerned with my well being after seeing how they treated Michael. This kind of mistrust from staff is what I understand to be the primary new "problems" for the top leadership.

They have the power to decice when and if one can see their parents. Confidential conversations with Dr. Heightmayer are shortly relayed to officers in command. Video surveillance in private quarters.

If anybody still had doubts about the usefulness of consultations with a psychologist wearing that voice full of pain, (for a lack of better description, just like Jo Fidgen from BBC Outlook), they should be cleared after seeing this episode. The psychologist evidently could not be trusted to tell the truth, nor to keep secrets.

Comment

Except that Michael wasn't a member of the expedition... but more of an experiment (gone wrong in the end).
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                            It just goes to show what humans are prepared to do to win. In a sense, we're no better than the Wraith. But certainly no worse either.
                            So true.
                            sigpic

Comment

This ep amongst the others, does show us in a bad light. BUT more so than some others. Teyla had it right when she said "we had no right to do this".

Comment

Wow, I just finished watching "Michael" for the first time. First it brought to the forefront the ethical dilemma facing the members of the Atlantis expedition and the humanocentric imperialist approach that is taken by Stargate Command and the teams. It's been an issue through out the series and was continued in this episode.

Aside from that it also builds on the man vs nature aspect to the Atlantis series with the Wraith being an evolution of incorporated human genes into arthropod bug like creatures resulting in the species.

Morality here is up in the air and the only true morality is the survival of the fittest. We are repulsed by bugs but in truth they dominate our world by numbers and mass. We carry exterminator mentality because we can get away with it and it is convenient.

I'm not certain how the Michael factor will play in the series but at risk is the beginning of the end for man kind and again created by our need to control that which can harm us. No "Michael" experiment may well have been the best path. I'm sure I'll see as I see future episodes. All in all I found it a great episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X