No announcement yet.

The Long Goodbye (216)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why doesn't Chuck have a name yet? Seriously, he's been in at least 10 episodes this season alone...

Even he's confused as to why he's still "Technician."

*~S.T.A.K.S.~*~LiveJournal Leik Woah~*

"Dosmrti, dosmrti na to nezapomenu."

Comment

Would two human civilizations readily go to war with each other when a polarizing force such as the Wraith wants to destroy them both? We didn't see any Asgard internal struggles because they were fighting the Replicators, the Go'uld would rally together to defeat any human civilization capable of defending themselves against a single system lord, Soviet reformers faced several difficulties in making reforms because Soviet hardliners would crop up whenever the US shifted to harsher rhetoric towards the Soviets, and the current prime minister of Iran thanked the current US president for his election victory. I don't buy the idea that two advanced human civilizations would risk war with each other unless their evolution timeline significantly predates the Wraith aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii
        Would two human civilizations readily go to war with each other when a polarizing force such as the Wraith wants to destroy them both? We didn't see any Asgard internal struggles because they were fighting the Replicators, the Go'uld would rally together to defeat any human civilization capable of defending themselves against a single system lord, Soviet reformers faced several difficulties in making reforms because Soviet hardliners would crop up whenever the US shifted to harsher rhetoric towards the Soviets, and the current prime minister of Iran thanked the current US president for his election victory. I don't buy the idea that two advanced human civilizations would risk war with each other unless their evolution timeline significantly predates the Wraith aswell.
        It could have happened during a time when the Wraith were in hibernation, thus at least lessening the risk of attack from the Wraith.
        "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
        My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Aren't there big chunks of time when the Wraith are asleep, 300 years or so? That should be enough time for generations to build civilizations and wage their own wars without interfearance from the Wraith. Most of the time when different parties band together despite their differences it is under a constant threat that always makes it's presence known. With generations of time passing between cullings, the humans of certain planets could easily get too comfortable and start fighting over they're own differences.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
          Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii
            Would two human civilizations readily go to war with each other when a polarizing force such as the Wraith wants to destroy them both?

One word...Genii. Governments and the people runnng them can be remarkably stupid at times.
            They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
            Spoiler:
            Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by alfirin_kirinki
              Wow. This episode was all about two people in love.

Caldwell with Weir and McKay with Sheppard.

All those angsty sighs! They're causing HURRICANES ON THE MAINLAND.
              LMAO It's like Atlantian chaos theory (butterfly/storm thing) - when there's angst in the city, the Athosians batten down the hatches...

Originally posted by PartyLikeIts1984
              Why doesn't Chuck have a name yet? Seriously, he's been in at least 10 episodes this season alone...

Even he's confused as to why he's still "Technician."
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m/a9563cb2.png
              Poor, neglected little Chuck Although, how long did it take for Walter to get a name? We need a Chuck appreciation thread
              He's actually David Hewlett's stand-in (ie: someone of similar height and build to the actor and used for lighting, blocking, and back-of-head shots when neccessary).

-- Cynicatlantis - home of BeanieLantis, and other such silliness --

Comment

Originally posted by Dorka
                OMG I'm totaly in love with this episode...I can't help myself *loL*!

It was ways better done like the last 7 (with leaving Critical Mass out..that one was great!)

Torri was my favourite actress already before this episode...but after watching it I have to say...yes, she really IS a great actress. I mean compared to John's acting, he didn't convince me in one minute, that he's an other person well he wasn't under THAT much influence as Elizabeth, but there wasn't a slightest changes apart from what? one scene?But Torri did, from the first move, she did as Phoebus. It was a really great Elizabeth episode...and I really liked the end of it. Liz was quite girly acting in the last 3 minutes... that was a hint of Torri I guess, but really great!

The storyline was quite interesting, but I think Sheppard just agreed too fast with doing it, they should have discussed it a bit longer, maybe so we can see that Caldwell was really AGAINST it!

Caldwell was great too... he's not the bad guy anymore, I like how he changed after this whole Goaul'd thing - and he's really throwing in some Liz/John-stuff...already in Conversion and now too... I like him in the episodes...all my favourite episodes this season has been with him in it... and not only bc of him, the storyline was always great when he's there!

What's else to say? hm, This is really one of my favourite episodes... not only this year... on my top 5 list!

From the Liz/John-shipper point? THANk you sooo much for that really sweet kiss and the ending scene... I was melting in my seat while watching both! sweetly done!

Technical point of view? Some really good DOP-work! I was amazed... made it more clear
                Do you mean Joe's acting wasn't convincing? As you mention Torri's wonderful acting and then say 'John's' didn't convince you. As John is a fictional character under alien influence, he doesn't 'act' in the show, Joe does. So I'm obviously a tad confused as to what you actually mean here.
                sigpic

Comment

While the battle between the two aliens was entertaining I´m still irked that the people involved allowed this to happen. Would it really have been that difficult to have but handcuffs on them or some other restraint?

Plus given Earths history with the Goa´uld I find it incredibly hard to believe that they would just blithely trust someone who had taken over the mind of one of the top personel on the base just because it seemed like the host was speaking.

Caldwell showed more or less the right moves though, I´m sure that not locking Weir and Sheppard out of the computers was more of a writers thing then anything you can blame him for.

On the whole I´d give this episode 7/10, entertaining but nothing special.

Comment

Quite the pleasant surprise. When Phoebus asked Sheppard to be host to her husband I thought the episode would be a lovy dovy sanctuary type episode, hell I even considered not watching it, but just as I was about to change the channel they started talking about guards, and I just knew something was about to happen

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi
                      Do you mean Joe's acting wasn't convincing? As you mention Torri's wonderful acting and then say 'John's' didn't convince you. As John is a fictional character under alien influence, he doesn't 'act' in the show, Joe does. So I'm obviously a tad confused as to what you actually mean here.
                      I obviously meant Joe...these two names are just too similar
                      I really adore Joe and also John, but I think in this episode he didn't show enough facet as he may should have...sure it was also in the script, but it somehow was a too big claft between Phoebus and Halan... Phoebus was too evil but Halan still wanted to kill her too, but he was a bit...well unstable IMO. We get to knew her motives but all he was speaking of was just not to kill him... but nothing else... I don't know I just expected maybe a bit more character-developement from Halan's side!

Comment

Ok rather than go over everything I liked and didn't like about this episode I'm just going to highlight one particular scene as a perfect example of exactly the phenomenon I think is holding Atlantis back, potentialy more than anything else.

That scene is the Teyla has to kill Shep scene and more importantly the cheap way in which it was resolved.

Here's betting the implications of the Teyla with a gun on Shep scene will just be ignored completely for both characters come next week. It's obvious that the way it was resolved was intended to set up just that.

I'm laying it on "I would have done the same thing in your place" "you did the right thing" or just no mentioning it at all. You know as opposed to doing something actually cool with such a massively significant event as one of your friends agreeing to kill you for the greater good. Yep something like that's not going to change a relationship at all is it.

I wanted to see Teyla not be able to do it instead of getting bailed out by the deus ex machina again.

Obviously you can't shoot Shep but having Telyla falter like that over that situation would open up a lot for both of the characters. Nope, we got the cheapo "safe" ending without any real consequences instead, hurray. You could still pull good consequences from the cheapo ending like I mentioned above but they won't, you just watch. It was resolved that way specificaly so it wouldn't have to be followed up on, just like the Weir didn't really torture Kavannagh thing. It might get some lipservice, just like that did here, but that'll be it for the follow up.

This is what Atlantis needs to stop doing. They create situations where they've got potentially huge character moments just waiting to happen and then rather than just follow through naturally on what happens they bring in some stupid external thing to resolve it like McKay's mad 1337 haxor skillzz here to cheat their way out of the outcome so they get to reset everything at the end of the hour and don't have to deal with any of the character fall-out with anything more than a line or two about it trying to pass for continuity.

I think it would have been pretty damn fascinating to watch Teyla come to realize in the coming episodes that she now cares so much about Shep that she can't kill him even to save 2/3 of the expedition. How would she deal with a thing like that? Would she look at it as an unacceptable weakness? Would she start to wonder if she's in love with him? Would she start to think about leaving the city to return to her people on the mainland because she thinks she's getting to weak or attached. Hell how bout a mix of all three. It would certainly be a lot more interesting than the Teyla coloured wallpaper we've been getting for the past season wouldn't it? Guess we'll never know though. Hey maybe they'll just chop her out next season because "we can't think of anything for her to do" despite stuff like this just slipping through the cracks. That was a whole season long character arc that just slipped past the goalie right there and I bet they didn't even notice it. Same thing happened with Ford at least once that I can think of.

Is it really so bad that the characters be permitted to change and grow from their experiences? Do we really need to invoke acts of plot to try and prevent that from happening?

Comment

Oooh Action Weir, nice. Great to have her do more then make emotional decisions....

- I agree on Ronan's dip in enemy awarness, out of character for this Wraith beating, Ford Whooping, ex-military exile........

Caldwell: He was the best......this really showed to me that he can become a great member of Atlantis...Mitch did some fantastic routines.....he played quite well-off Rodney too!

Beckett, tisk tisk - I thought he was the voice of reason

Shep, you are the one of the most senior people on Atlantis and you allow yourself to become host to this Alien *shakes head* poor judgement - demote him

They should have noticed the old "Goa'uld pulling-off, I'm a Tok'ra trick, a mile off!"
                          It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorka
                            I obviously meant Joe...these two names are just too similar
                            I really adore Joe and also John, but I think in this episode he didn't show enough facet as he may should have...sure it was also in the script, but it somehow was a too big claft between Phoebus and Halan... Phoebus was too evil but Halan still wanted to kill her too, but he was a bit...well unstable IMO. We get to knew her motives but all he was speaking of was just not to kill him... but nothing else... I don't know I just expected maybe a bit more character-developement from Halan's side!

Actually, Joe did exactly what he was supposed to do and he did it fabulously. Other than that time she was tricking them in the beginning. Weir was always PHOEBUS. Actually, she still was when she was tricking them. Point being everyone knew she was Phoebus and always in control.

Sheppard didn't play it the same way with Thalan. Or rather, Thalan didn't. He was more cautious and tried to manipulate the others by BEING Sheppard. He tricked Ronon. Ronon isn't a fool and people are finding it hard to believe he believed Shep/Thalan. THAT was the point. You couldn't tell. There were like TWO times that Joe had to play Thalan outright. Shoot out with Weir/Phoebus, when he was blasted Teyla. And a bit of it when he was talking to Ronon, and at the end when he was tied up. Just like a moment.

The moment with Teyla proves what Thalan was doing and that Joe was supposed to play it as Shep. THe only time I think Shep was actually there was when He goes to Teyla, "How did you know it was me?" He had the look that Shep has. Surprised look. Teyla said she still doesn't. She NEVER knew. Teyla is good at reading people and she does know Sheppard, probably better than most. BUT..she still didn't KNOW him enough to know the difference. Hence, the whole point. If Joe went about making Thalan compleletly/obviously different like Torri got to do with Weir, what woudl have been the point of the characters. And Thalan would have been OBVIOUS. Which he was not supposed to be.

Had Joe been supposed to play it obvious, look at conversion. He would have made it obvious and blown Phoebus's evilness out of the water.

Comment

Hi.
                              I'm usually a lurker here because this forum is not as active as scifi or my personal forum.
                              I wanna make my first post.

Please don't hotlink any of the following pics due to limited bandwidth. Thanks.

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/AncientNET/vlcsnap-159267.png[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/AncientNET/vlcsnap-159519.png[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/AncientNET/vlcsnap-159637.png[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/AncientNET/vlcsnap-160955.png[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/AncientNET/vlcsnap-161313.png[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/AncientNET/vlcsnap-166157.png[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/AncientNET/vlcsnap-159791.png[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/AncientNET/vlcsnap-167234.png[/image]

Maybe it's time to give McKay some leadership priviledges (even if he managed to destroy 5/6 of a solar system). This ep was meant to make Weir and Shepp trust Caldwell who is a good guy.

I felt sorry for Ronan. The Teyla-Shepp moment (Kill him) was not good. If the background music for that moment was different, a bit more scary perhaps, it would have worked. She could have shot him! Then, there would have been 1 more Beckett scene.

What bugs me? - Are men and women allowed to rest in the same room in the infirmary? Where are the curtains?

The kiss was interesting though. It lacked the tongues but it was nice.
                              Last edited by AncientNET; 04 January 2006, 03:20 AM. Reason: error in images

Comment

Edit the images - It's weird not being able to post many images.

The kiss pic link-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...NET/vlkiss.png

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                                X