No announcement yet.

The Long Goodbye (216)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, I would like to add, in such a short space of time in Season 2 we have had Rodney have to share his brain with Cadman, Caldwell with a Goa'uld and now Shep and Weir with those two aliens. Poor unimaginative writing if you ask me. You can even extend that back to the end of Season 1 and you also had Teyla possessed by a Wraith. Beckett and Dex are the odd ones out at this stage.

Comment

I don't think the writers are going to do anymore "possession" stories for the rest of the season.
      Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
      WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

Originally posted by LoveYouBaby
        I don't think the writers are going to do anymore "possession" stories for the rest of the season.
        They've done enough for the lifetime of the show. Off the top of my head you only had it recently enough with Daniel Jackson in Lifeboat in Season 7 or 8 of SG-1 too.

Comment

Oh yes, I also thought Torri Higginson was FANTASTIC!
          Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
          WOOHOO!

Comment

Oh yes, I also thought Torri Higginson was FANTASTIC!
            I felt she did well in a bad situation. She was a lot more convincing than Flanigan in portraying a very seperate personality existing in her body to Weir. I felt Flanigan made a half effort in the first scene but from then on was just Shep whereas Higginson made an effort the whole way through the episode.

Also I thought the way the alien convinced Dex he was Sheppard made Ronon look very thick.

Comment

I agree that the plot wasn't very original (to quote Rodney: "here we go again" ) and lacked sense sometimes. But all in all I liked this episode very much nonetheless because it had many great moments and some superb acting.

A few things I liked:

- The 'conflict' between Rodney and Caldwell, that was really interesting
              - Rodney talking about jeopardy, LOL! And the way he looked when John and Liz kissed or when John talked about Teyla, just great!
              - Carson in scrubs, doing surgery. I think it's official now that he's a surgeon. And I liked how calm and professional he acted despite the circumstances
              - The way the wrong Shepp and the wrong Weir tried to convince their friends that the were the real persons. Weir's performance in the infirmary was fantastic, and Sheppard tried it with Teyla and Ronon and succeeded with Ronon. And Sheppard likes Teyla more than she knows?
              - So the real Liz and John were screaming inside? I can imagine that it must have been awful to watch what someone else is doing with your body while you're completely helpless.
              - I liked Caldwell in this episode, and that there was some continuity regarding his time and his experiences as a host for a Goa'uld. And I'm not shipping that way, but I noticed that he looked devastated when they talked about the option of killing Weir. And he seemed to be hurt when the wrong Weir told him what the real Weir thinks about him.
              - The way Liz slid down on the bed when Caldwell mentioned the kiss! The expression in her face was priceless!
              - TH/EW in action! She did that very well, and I liked to watch this since it's really unusual but nice to see for a change. Although I doubt that she could take out so many marines at once.
              - The magic blood pressure cuff. It magically disappears from Weir's arm in the first infirmary scene.

I know there were some flaws in this ep, but the overall impression was good. 4 out of 5 for me.

Bye, A.
              Last edited by Arlessiar; 03 January 2006, 09:33 AM.
              ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
              ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

TLG just served as a reminder of why I hate Kindler's episodes with passion.

TPTB seriously need to stop this trend of rehashing old storylines. Not only has this alien influence garb already been done to death in sci-fi, this episode was also more than just a tribute to Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The only episode so far in Season 2 that matched in any way the standard of Season 1 was Critical Mass. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to have the siege arc so early on. They really went out with all guns blazing and completely ran out of steam this year. Not only have they been telling weak stories, we've also gone backwards character development wise.

Kudos to Torri Higginson though for salvaging what is laughably called an episode. She's shown what a fine actress she is and that she deserves more action, and I don't mean more aliens in her head. I wish they gave Weir something to do other than stand around and give orders since we know she can deliver. On the other hand, what's-his-face who was stuck in John's head didn't seem as well thought out as Phoebus, or rather, most of the time I didn't even distinguish him from Sheppard, and I don't mean when he's pretending to be Sheppard. I still find it hard to believe Ronon would fall for such a cheap trick, but I'm willing to accept it as necessary for the plot.

On the bright side, we've seen character development for Caldwell and him handling the consequences of being possessed by a Goa'uld. Bravo for continuity for once! Also, it was great to see him take command for once. Maybe he can learn to appreciate Weir's position more now that he's seen how difficult it is.

Bring on Coup d'Etat!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
                  I felt she did well in a bad situation. She was a lot more convincing than Flanigan in portraying a very seperate personality existing in her body to Weir. I felt Flanigan made a half effort in the first scene but from then on was just Shep whereas Higginson made an effort the whole way through the episode.

Also I thought the way the alien convinced Dex he was Sheppard made Ronon look very thick.
                  I agree, Flanigan portrayal of the alien wasn't as good as Higginson. You can tell Higginson was working really hard but Flanigan...could have done better IMO, half the time I forgot Sheppard was taken over.
                  Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                  WOOHOO!

Comment

This was Caldwell's best episode so far, he got some development, and did other things then being the antagonist. And they remembered Critical Mass

Comment

I agree, Flanigan portrayal of the alien wasn't as good as Higginson. You can tell Higginson was working really hard but Flanigan...could have done better IMO, half the time I forgot Sheppard was taken over.
                      From what I could tell, it didn't look like the alien was supposed to be all that different from Shep(military,killing etc). Where as the alien in Weir was a psycho.

Comment

Originally posted by gambit
                        From what I could tell, it didn't look like the alien was supposed to be all that different from Shep(military,killing etc). Where as the alien in Weir was a psycho.
                        The alien in Weir was proud not a Pyscho - she was determined to knock her enemy down for her people. Their consciousness took over their bodies, that includes their personality, behavior, et cetera. They were suppose to be different.
                        Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                        WOOHOO!

Comment

To be honest I'm not sure what Phoebius was supposed to be. As the episode goes on her disregard for others and her "psychoticness" seems to increase as the episode goes on.

Comment

The episode was from great but it did have its moments.

Pros:

- Higginson's performance was better than expected even if I still don't care too much for her as an actress.
                            - It was nice to get some follow-through for Colonel Caldwell.
                            - Some nice moments here and there: Weir's face after Caldwell mentioned the kiss right before the credits roll, Caldwell clearing the chain-of-command issue for McKay, Weir (or the alien rather) shooting McKay when he started babbling on the radio.

Cons:

- The plot. If you're going to do the possessed-by-aliens routine for the 1000th time at least add a twist to it. Not to mention that the feud between the two aliens felt very contrived.
                            - Everyone knew exactly how the situation with Teyla and Shepperd would end, of course Rodney would hack the system in time. No tension whatsover.
                            - The people in Atlantis behaved like a bunch of idiots. Apparently they haven't learned not to trust someone who is possessed by an unknown entity.
                            "I would rather have a show that a hundred people need to see than a thousand people like to see." - Joss Whedon
                            "It's strange to have a creation out there: A deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." - Dexter

Comment

I actually liked the psychoticness, it brought an element of depth to the alien, masked by determination, the alien risks anyone or anything just to see her enemy get slained, defeat spreading throughout the face of the man that so tormented her for so long. So... invigorating.
                              Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                              WOOHOO!

Comment

Personally, I absolutely loved this one! Granted, I'm a big Weir fan, so that probably slants my opinion quite a bit. I thought Torri Higginson did an amazing job with this one! Great portrayal of Phoebus. I thought Joe Flanigan played Thalan a little too much like he plays Sheppard, so the two kind of blended together. But Torri did an amazing job differentiating between Phoebus and Weir.

The infirmary scene at the end was great! Sheppard had the awkward "I can't look her in the eye" vibe going, and Weir was hilarious in her embarrassment. That last shot before the credits rolled had me on the floor laughing!

The action was great - I really loved the change in camera style they used for the action shots. Reminded me a bit of the "Gladiator" style. And I couldn't help but think that that storage area would be an awesome lazer tag arena...

Off to watch this one again!
                                "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                                My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Working...
                                X